Editor's Note: Can You Dig It?

Can You Dig It?

We dedicate this week's issue to Minecraft: the game that came out of nowhere to awaken our inner creators.

Read Full Article

Not that it matters but it kind of looks as if your signature says Piss Pitts, the R looks like a P. I am not trying to be an asshole Mr. Boss man but people might go asshole on you if they discover your hobby making R look like P. Just pointing it out for the future sakes, constructive critisicm ho!

Minecraft surely is a truly phenominal achievemt, I cannot wait until it is finished.

I saw the words "can you dig it" and immediately thought of The Warriors. I've forgotten about everything else.

I actually just finished playing Minecraft for the night (made a diamond Inky from Pac-Man and a glowstone Triforce) and love the game.
For the first 15 minutes, you're hoarding resources, trying to figure out how to survive, and then you'll probably die.
Getting it right, and surviving that first night, is a relief, and building that dream house out of stone, wood or dirt (I did, my house is like a micro-mountain right outside a lake and it looks really nice with all the paintings and chests inside).
For a game that quietly popped up from way off left field, it's an amazing game that deserves most of, if not all the praise it gets.
Kudos to Notch for making Minecraft and I hope that it only gets better from here.
Beta's pretty good though.

I saw the words Can you dig it and thought of this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MziXlEeUS94

Minecraft, eh?
Several of my friends are addicted to it.
I remember i went to play the demo/trial/whatever one, where you can't craft, only build.
But it was an interesting experience. I though" yeah sure, I'll play for this for a few minutes", and after half an hour I'd built a weird crappy house-like thingy and a huge wall and guard tower to protect it against all intruders who would dare to come close to my house-castle.

I'll bet a buck that the full version is a lot more fun. I can only imagine...

Oh Minecraft. What a little gem you are. Multiple times I would try playing you, and each time would be a different experience. Its weird, and I love it. It does my heart joy to see a truly innovative game like this do so well. Minecraft is the most innovative game of the past few years, and its success is well deserved. Even though I tend to find it boring, I have to give it credit. I haven't seen any game sell this well when its still so unfinished. Well except New Vegas.

Oh, and when I read the title of this weeks issue, I was instantly reminded of this:

Oh Minecraft. It's like a giant world of legos that you are immersed in. It's too bad that in my state of mind I can't bear playing it. Maybe I have the wrong mindset to play this game.

Can you count, suckers? I say, the future is ours... if you can count!

Now, look what we have here before us. We got the RTSers sitting next to the FPSers. We've got the RPGers right by the puzzle gamers. Nobody is wasting nobody. That... is a miracle. And miracles is the way things ought to be.

Can you dig it?

Can. You. Dig. It.

Minecraft is my game of the year for 2010, easily the best money I spent on any game in that period.

Edit: The sooner Notch gets rid of the crappy classic version the better. The inventory item identification make the introduction to minecraft so much easier.

Man, I am so sick of Minecraft. :D

Yes, Minecraft is as addictive as it gets. I log on and it's a huge world, and when I say huge I mean not just roaming on the land, but you can dig underneath the Earth (or if you call the planet whatever you want) or stack on high into the Heavens, even over the clouds! What gets to me the most is that Minecraft is so huge, that you'll never run out of places to go and explore, heck whenever you start a new game things change, but when you die they remain the same! (Though it sucks when you die because if you had items on you, you lose them all).

My favorite part of it is that not only can you craft these blocks into castles, tree houses, homes, tunnels, bridges, towers, huts, fences, caves, and so forth, but there are different types of minerals to use from, different materials to create and use for whatever purposes. Heck, I made a fishing pole that would hook onto enemies and I would launch them into my personal hole of lava underneath. I would dig the ground and put glass over the cliffs that would plunge me down into enemy base so the sunlight ceases through and burns the enemies.

I even took the time to find enough Gold (which is pretty useless honestly) and make enough pieces into armor fragments that would cover my character's entire body. I really loved that. Plus, I would make a temple and have a bucket that would have water go down the steps, so that enemies including spiders wouldn't be able to catch up but I would have a secret tunnel that I would slide in the water and out into the ocean where I would swim into my cabin with a door to close behind me and wait till morning.

This game is incredible, I can't even explain how many hours this game has impacted me with joy and fun. Fun! How many games now a days are "fun"? Most make us feel like we're doing chores and no one wants to play those types of games (unless for a good reason). Not to mention Minecraft is artistic and I am really into being creative. I made a crystal sword and train tracks so as I go down with it, I would have enemies near by and would try to swing at them for fun of it. Took me 2 days... collecting is even fun because the tools look radical, along with how much effort you make to come up with some random yet well planned out adventure. Thanks for the Article, I loved reading it honestly!

Russ Pitts:

We dedicate this week's issue to Minecraft: the game that came out of nowhere to awaken our inner creators.

Read Full Article

This is definitely an Escapist mag I can sink my teeth into. I keep kicking myself for procrastinating on getting it until after Beta came out. But I haven't been disappointed since then. I can certainly dig it.

I just might have alienated some of my onling gaming buddies though...

Master_Spartan117666:
I actually just finished playing Minecraft for the night (made a diamond Inky from Pac-Man and a glowstone Triforce) and love the game.
For the first 15 minutes, you're hoarding resources, trying to figure out how to survive, and then you'll probably die.
Getting it right, and surviving that first night, is a relief, and building that dream house out of stone, wood or dirt (I did, my house is like a micro-mountain right outside a lake and it looks really nice with all the paintings and chests inside).
For a game that quietly popped up from way off left field, it's an amazing game that deserves most of, if not all the praise it gets.
Kudos to Notch for making Minecraft and I hope that it only gets better from here.

Your avatar scares me.

samsonguy920:

Russ Pitts:

Read Full Article

This is definitely an Escapist mag I can sink my teeth into. I keep kicking myself for procrastinating on getting it until after Beta came out. But I haven't been disappointed since then. I can certainly dig it.

I just might have alienated some of my onling gaming buddies though...

Master_Spartan117666:

Your avatar scares me.

GOOD.
Just imagine, you've built our dream home, you're standing there, admiring it, and then, a quiet *ssssssssssss*
You stop, and start to turn around whilst the noise grows from *sssss* to *SSSSS*
Then, just as you turn around, you see THAT face, and then *BOOOM*
Your work ruined, and you're lost, with nothing, in the middle of nowhere.
Now, my work here is done.
Time to make a lava-fall!

I decided to try the free classic version on the Mincraft website yesterday and long story short I spent 11 hours playing the game before the day was over. It is pure creation. They say only God can make a tree; well in that world I am God(stifles maniacal laugh).

After playing so much yesterday I've started thinking in cubes to try to come up with more things to make. I still havn't decided if/when I'll get the full version, but for now playing the classic version is amazing.

Unlike Second Life, however, Minecraft can actually be fun.

Buh-zing. :D

Taipan700:
I saw the words "can you dig it" and immediately thought of The Warriors. I've forgotten about everything else.

Well, that's where we got the name for the issue, so bonus points to you for recognizing it. :)

Susan Arendt:

Taipan700:

Well, that's where we got the name for the issue, so bonus points to you for recognizing it. :)

Oh, I figured it was a reference to the theme song from "Shaft." Not to mention the possibility for mineshaft puns that opens up.

bojac6:

Susan Arendt:

Taipan700:

Oh, I figured it was a reference to the theme song from "Shaft." Not to mention the possibility for mineshaft puns that opens up.

Well, obviously the idea of "digging" goes quite well with Minecraft but yeah, it's a Warriors reference.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here