Review: 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors

Pages 1 2 NEXT

You're on a boat with nine hours to live, unless you're clever enough to escape.

Read Full Article

I really don't want to buy any other games until March (Pokemon, Dragon Age)...

But now I have to.

I've heard too many good things about this game already.

Great, like there isn't enough games I'm after now I need to add this one to the pile. D:

I frakking loved Hotel Dusk so it looks like I'm going to have to get this game as well...

Nice, I'm glad this game got reviewed. Wish it was a little sooner though. It's a fantastic game. Everyone with access to a DS NEEDS to play this game.

Susan Arendt:
It never fails. No sooner have I written up my favorite games of the year, than I play one that would have undoubtedly earned a spot had I just gotten to it a little faster.

That almost happened to me as well. I played this game late December. When I finished it, I immediately knew it was the best game I played all year.

psychic psycho:

Susan Arendt:
It never fails. No sooner have I written up my favorite games of the year, than I play one that would have undoubtedly earned a spot had I just gotten to it a little faster.

That almost happened to me as well. I played this game late December. When I finished it, I immediately knew it was the best game I played all year.

And that happened to me with Singularity. I would easily have placed that in my Top 7...999 would probably be #1 from the sounds of it.

Some other comments I want to add...

Susan Arendt:
When observing tiny details make the difference between winning and receiving a knife in the back, reading long passages takes on a whole new kind of urgency

After playing the game one more time after finishing it, I noticed there are several clues that help lead to the correct path(s). The only problem is that you'd only notice them once you've finished the game.

Susan Arendt:
Genre: Family/Puzzle

I don't think 999 fits in the "family" genre. Isn't the game rated M? It was pretty violent.

Onyx Oblivion:
And that happened to me with Singularity. I would easily have placed that in my Top 7...999 would probably be #1 from the sounds of it.

I enjoyed Singularity, but for some reason I can't remember much about it.

Onyx Oblivion:

psychic psycho:

Susan Arendt:

it will. i love it. its a little confusing so pay attention but the multiple endings, sidestories, characters and overall presentation really set it apart and create something unique. Oh and F*&$ sudoku puzzles!!!!!

This is basically one of the best DS games i have EVER played. Westerners like to whine about all the reading - this game is a VISUAL NOVEL/puzzle game. I hate seeing reviews where they act like this is some sort of downfall to the game. It's like playing a fighting game and complaining that there's too much fighting. You should know what you're getting into when you start playing a VISUAL NOVEL.

Anywho, as such, this is one of the best written and applied, not to mention the puzzles and characters are fantastic. You pretty much have to complete all the endings to get the full story, but after you start playing, believe me, you'll WANT to. Wonderful mind-screw as well.

I SO urge everyone to get this one.

So, I opened this review. Saw the picture beside the text. Sighed at the sight of the offensively fetish girl with gargantuan breasts exploding out of her skimpy dress, and closed the review.

Sorry Susan, I'm a big fan, but I can't seriously read a review for a game with that in it.

EDIT: I'm not saying this is a bad game. I don't know if its bad or not. I just can't take it seriously/lost interest.

GrizzlerBorno:
So, I opened this review. Saw the picture beside the text. Sighed at the sight of the offensively fetish girl with gargantuan breasts exploding out of her skimpy dress, and closed the review.

Sorry Susan, I'm a big fan, but I can't seriously read a review for a game with that in it.

I know, I know, it looks bad on first glance. Trust me, even thought the characters are total anime cliches out of the gate, they do actually have some depth to them once you get into the game. I don't want to spoil anything for people that haven't played it yet, but I was pleasantly surprised by a couple parts with that particular character.

This would be a game I put onto my list of games to buy (I love Hotel Dusk and planning to get Last Window soon) but there is no confirm date for Europe... Something tell me I will get frustrated with the game easily since I got stuck in the demo (I was able to combine two items to get the decoder but it didn't help to open the briefcase.

GrizzlerBorno:

EDIT: I'm not saying this is a bad game. I don't know if its bad or not. I just can't take it seriously/lost interest.

If you have that much of a problem ignoring it, you're missing out on many games that have it, such as the entire Ace Attorney series, also known as (in my opinion) the best puzzle series ever!

Susan Arendt:

You're on a boat with nine hours to live, unless you're clever enough to escape.

Read Full Article

Reading the article I was going to ask how it plays in relation to Hotel Dusk. Thanks for reading my mind in time for the recomendation.

GrizzlerBorno:

Oh, I get that. Lotus (the character in question) is quite distracting whenever she's on screen. (Though, oddly, she's frequently called an "old woman" in the text.) But don't let that prevent you from trying the game, which is truly excellent and unusual.

Halley M:
This is basically one of the best DS games i have EVER played. Westerners like to whine about all the reading - this game is a VISUAL NOVEL/puzzle game. I hate seeing reviews where they act like this is some sort of downfall to the game. It's like playing a fighting game and complaining that there's too much fighting. You should know what you're getting into when you start playing a VISUAL NOVEL.

Anywho, as such, this is one of the best written and applied, not to mention the puzzles and characters are fantastic. You pretty much have to complete all the endings to get the full story, but after you start playing, believe me, you'll WANT to. Wonderful mind-screw as well.

I SO urge everyone to get this one.

The reading isn't a downfall to the game -it's part of what makes it so remarkable, actually - but it is something that is going to put off certain players. If they've never encountered a visual novel before, they have no idea what to expect. As such, I'd be doing a disservice to our readers if I didn't mention it.

I would take the stripper with me. Hopefully she's into "rewarding" my efforts.

...seriously tho, why is there a stripper in this game?

I loved the background art style but the anime sprites completely spoil the mood for me. The backgrounds are all suspenseful and then you have hyper-cheerful-giggly anime dudes yapping at you.

The text wouldn't be so bad if you could skip/turbo it right from the start. I read faster than it displayed and the chirpy little noise it produced was also counter to the mood.

I would probably play the game if I found it cheap somewhere, just to deliberately explode the chests of anyone I didn't like. XD

Susan Arendt:

GrizzlerBorno:

Oh, I get that. Lotus (the character in question) is quite distracting whenever she's on screen. (Though, oddly, she's frequently called an "old woman" in the text.) But don't let that prevent you from trying the game, which is truly excellent and unusual.

*sigh*....Alright, fine, I'll read it. But only cause you said so.
Well, you actually asked me to play it; which i can't do because i do not have a DS. so sorry.

Susan Arendt wants to know what's up with Lotus' outfit. I mean, seriously.

My guess is that a certain reproductive organ is supposed to be up. Not that I get why, personally.
Sounds like a good game, but not for me.

Scarim Coral:
This would be a game I put onto my list of games to buy (I love Hotel Dusk and planning to get Last Window soon) but there is no confirm date for Europe... Something tell me I will get frustrated with the game easily since I got stuck in the demo (I was able to combine two items to get the decoder but it didn't help to open the briefcase.

VondeVon:
I loved the background art style but the anime sprites completely spoil the mood for me. The backgrounds are all suspenseful and then you have hyper-cheerful-giggly anime dudes yapping at you.

The text wouldn't be so bad if you could skip/turbo it right from the start. I read faster than it displayed and the chirpy little noise it produced was also counter to the mood.

I would probably play the game if I found it cheap somewhere, just to deliberately explode the chests of anyone I didn't like. XD

Agreed on the chirpy noise - I usually turned the sound down. And if you hold down the B button, the text fills in faster.

This probably is one of the last good games to come out on the regular ds, god I hate the ds 3D, especialy because I bought a new ds not too long ago.

Susan Arendt wants to know what's up with Lotus' outfit. I mean, seriously.

Actually, I know the answer to this one. I've heard rumors that when the original designs were made, Lotus was supposed to be Alice(If you haven't played, you'll have NO IDEA what I'm talking about).

Anyway, I absolutely love this game. All the characters are well designed, the plot twists are very well done to the point of a mindscrew and the art is very well done. The renders of environments at times are a tad off, but that's not why I played through all 5 endings.

Got it for Christmas. Loved it.

The games strongest asset it's it's plot. It's filled with so many twists and mysteries that it's impossible to describe it's brilliance without spoiling it.

standokan:
This probably is one of the last good games to come out on the regular ds, god I hate the ds 3D, especialy because I bought a new ds not too long ago.

I'm playing Ghost Trick right now and it's damn damn good. Not 999 good, but damn good. But I agree with you, the 3DS is going to ruin everything and I'm bitter because a) I just got a DSi XL and thus those regular-sized ones are WAAAAY too small for me now and I've seen nothing about a 3DS XL yet and b) I'm legally blind in one eye so the 3D might not even work for me which makes the whole novelty of the stupid thing moot. And it looks like a ripoff.

Hmm...no, definitely not my thing but credit to the development company for making something a bit unusual.

if its anything like hotel dusk i will probobly have a few sleepless nights ahead of me and from the demo this certainly seems to be the case.

I bought and beat this game due to reading several of these recommendations on various sites. I have to say I was gravely disappointed. The writing isn't up there, but why should it be, it's a graphic novel. It reminded me very much of the old D&D Choose your Own Adventure books. Kind of a pulp style of writing, especially with the graphic Saw style violence theme. Then the end rolls along and predictably it's someone who couldn't have pulled it off, and the plot holes are profuse. No doubt if I played it over with the knowledge in hand of how to solve some of the puzzles faster or with fewer slip ups I'd garner a more realistic down to earth ending, but the way a game like this clocks hours is by near guaranteeing that I get the crap ending if I go through first time without a FAQ.
As games go perhaps this is a good graphical novel. It was not an entertaining game however.

Was Tzeentch on the team-in-which-you-choose-the-number-that-the-game-really-likes-and-uses-a-lot Team?

Alkore:
if its anything like hotel dusk i will probobly have a few sleepless nights ahead of me and from the demo this certainly seems to be the case.

This was one of many games I brought with me on my recent vacation to a remote cabin in the Smoky Mountains. I ended up not touching any of the others - once I started 999, I couldn't bear to put it down. I still haven't gotten the "true" ending.

Susan Arendt:

Alkore:

This was one of many games I brought with me on my recent vacation to a remote cabin in the Smoky Mountains. I ended up not touching any of the others - once I started 999, I couldn't bear to put it down. I still haven't gotten the "true" ending.

I sooo want to get this game! I loved Hotel Dusk...I can't seem to see many hints about it coming out here (New Zealand) anytime soon though *sigh*

I just played the demo,just set it up for rental off of Gamefly (Not many people are trying to rent it)

I totally did a double take when I saw the link to the demo, It's the only DS game I know of that has a demo.
It looks pretty interesting too. As a fan of point-and-click adventure games, I think I can dig this.

RobfromtheGulag:
Snip

Did you get the "true" ending. If you didn't I can see how you feel that way. The fewest amount of playthroughs needed to see it is two; and that's if you know the exact paths. It may seem cheap to require players to replay the game, but it ends up making total sense why it's needed. If you did see the true ending, and still didn't like it...I don't know what to say.

Susan Arendt:

Oh, you still haven't gotten the true ending? I thought that review wasn't positive enough. Once you see the conclusive ending, I think you might want to review the game again.

psychic psycho:

RobfromtheGulag:
Snip

Did you get the "true" ending. If you didn't I can see how you feel that way. The fewest amount of playthroughs needed to see it is two; and that's if you know the exact paths. It may seem cheap to require players to replay the game, but it ends up making total sense why it's needed. If you did see the true ending, and still didn't like it...I don't know what to say.

Susan Arendt:

Oh, you still haven't gotten the true ending? I thought that review wasn't positive enough. Once you see the conclusive ending, I think you might want to review the game again.

No, my opinion won't change. The game definitely needs a notepad function, or some other way of dealing with doing the puzzles over and over again. The option to skip text you've read a dozen time is fantastic, but there needs to be something similar for the puzzles.

Also, reviews aren't based solely on personal enjoyment; while I happen to adore this game, I recognize that it's certainly not for everyone. Now, if we did half numbers, I might give this a 4.5, but as we don't, a 4 it is.

Susan Arendt:
No, my opinion won't change. The game definitely needs a notepad function, or some other way of dealing with doing the puzzles over and over again. The option to skip text you've read a dozen time is fantastic, but there needs to be something similar for the puzzles.

Also, reviews aren't based solely on personal enjoyment; while I happen to adore this game, I recognize that it's certainly not for everyone. Now, if we did half numbers, I might give this a 4.5, but as we don't, a 4 it is.

Sorry about that, I didn't mean that the review was premature or anything. Everything you said in it was valid. That was really just me trying to hype up the ending to make sure you got to see the ending. It's quite an experience.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here