Honorable and Dishonorable Mentions

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Honorable and Dishonorable Mentions

Yahtzee rounds out his top and bottom fives of 2010.

Read Full Article

This nicely clears up why Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood din't make the list. I agree with the logic of that too, since the game didn't really add much in terms of storyline or gameplay. Still loved it though, and the multiplayer is certainly a lot of fun

the only person in the room who actually does know the words to Auld Lang Syne

...*raises hand sheepishly*

am i the only one that thought SMG2 was too easy?

i beat the whole game and died a total of seven times, mostley just trying to do simple things the hard way out of bordom

Does he mean all extremities or just specific ones?

I felt the same way about Mass Effect 2. Actually, I feel that way about all Bioware games: like I really could've just as well read a novelization of the game and walk away with the same entertainment value.
They put a lot of emphasis on story but you don't really own the story like you do with something like Fallout 3. So you're left wondering "what the hell do you need me for?"

I suppose I can see that ME2 not making the list is a case of personal preference here. Even though I disagree with it, I can't tell somebody to like something if they don't. Stories ring true for some people and not for others.

You can also put me in the camp of people who loved ACB to bits but can understand the argument you're making here. The other titles shown here I'm fairly disinterested in.

Yahtzee on Heavy Rain:
I can't deny the self-mutilation scene is one that has stayed with me like few other moments in games, and not just because I think all parents of small children should have their extremities cut off.

I still don't get why this was such a prominent moment. You sit down, press 3/4 buttons simultaneously and off screen you

Maybe I'm desensitised to such things but I'd like to think I'm not and it was the games fault for not engaging me.

It is funny because most people I know say Mario Galaxy 2 is the good one. Does it being perfected later change things? No... probably not.

I love how Team Meat pointed out to PETA that Meatboy isn't a sack of meat but simply a skinless boy...lol

Is Yahtzee insinuating that Bayonetta was an honorable mention?

GonzoGamer:
I felt the same way about Mass Effect 2. Actually, I feel that way about all Bioware games: like I really could've just as well read a novelization of the game and walk away with the same entertainment value.
They put a lot of emphasis on story but you don't really own the story like you do with something like Fallout 3. So you're left wondering "what the hell do you need me for?"

Bioware needs to focus more of their attention to engaging gameplay rather than just simply telling an engaging story.

I'd almost say that the majority of the gameplay in Mass Effect 2 felt more like a very interactive DVD menu.

THERE'S Alan Wake. He seemed to like it a bit more than other games in his review, so I was a little sad when it wasn't in the top five. Seeing it here made me happy.

b3nn3tt:
This nicely clears up why Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood din't make the list. I agree with the logic of that too, since the game didn't really add much in terms of storyline or gameplay. Still loved it though, and the multiplayer is certainly a lot of fun

I have to disagree with this, Brotherhood added rather a lot for me; new weapons, guild challenges, the War Machines, altering the PoP-esque platforming sections to be a little more interesting, shop quests, the multiplayer, the assassin recruits, etc etc.

I thought you'd rate Heavy Rain a bit higher, considering is worryingly true to life title at the moment. *badoom-tish*

Seriously though, hope you guys are okay on your side of Brisbane.

TimeLord:

Yahtzee on Heavy Rain:
I can't deny the self-mutilation scene is one that has stayed with me like few other moments in games, and not just because I think all parents of small children should have their extremities cut off.

I still don't get why this was such a prominent moment. You sit down, press 3/4 buttons simultaneously and off screen you

Maybe I'm desensitised to such things but I'd like to think I'm not and it was the games fault for not engaging me.

I think its more to do with with how much the player managed to immerse themselves in the story by then, and how much you cared about Ethan. The scene where Ethan

was one of the few moments that I have stopped playing a game, taken stock of the surroundings and actually considered what I would do. That alone makes Heavy Rain one of the more pivotal games I have played - to hit me that well and actually make me value life instead of something like Call of Duty.

More on topic; I'm surprised Splinter Cell is a bottom 5. Whereas not sensational, I certainly wouldn't have gone so far as to say 'of the worst'. maybe with the lack of any real stealth excursions apart from token contributions as with Uncharted 2 for example placed Splinter Cell at an advantage without trying for me - but I found it fun.

Mass Effect I'm inclined to agree - it is a book with combat padding the space between the chapters. It's good, but only that.

Dead Rising 2 I'm playing through at the moment and can say that it is refreshing to play, and it's a shame I missed the first one - difficulty wise its nice to have something that promotes a challenge. Initially of course, once the game is none, challenge evaporates.

Plus the multiplayer for Dead Rising is genuinely unique and Co-op well constructed which makes it a very powerful, underappreciated title.

I could go on, but I'm sure interest has already waned :).

SonicWaffle:

b3nn3tt:

I have to disagree with this, Brotherhood added rather a lot for me; new weapons, guild challenges, the War Machines, altering the PoP-esque platforming sections to be a little more interesting, shop quests, the multiplayer, the assassin recruits, etc etc.

I felt that the guild challenges and new weapons were negligible. They certainly make gameplay different, but I don't think that they really affect it in any major way. Similarly, the platforming felt exactly the same as the last game to me

I will concede that the assassin recruits was an interesting addition, but I don't think it changed that much

I will admit that multiplayer was a really good addition though. I was sceptical at first, but I think that by making it so very different to other multiplayer the developers have made it great

With that in mind, Mario Galaxy 2 and Assassin's Creed Brotherhood were both out, despite being good. Brotherhood's multiplayer was a nice addition but hardly enough to elevate it any higher than DLC territory, and encouraging Nintendo to keep turning the handle on the money grinder makes every instinct in my body want to explode messily from my nervous system.

Yeah nevermind that Super Mario Galaxy 2 was just plain good platforming fun and a reminder of the other reason why Nintendo whores out Mario in the first place: because they can actually still make his games good. The whole "Mario is the only thing Nintendo fans play or the thing Nintendo pulls out when they're desperate for money" argument is so fucking flawed and stupid nowadays, it's basically equivalent to invoking Godwin's Law in that if you bring it up, you've immediately lost the argument and Yahtzee using it here isn't helping anything.

And before anyone gets on my case about this, just because I'm defending Mario Galaxy 2 doesn't mean I find it to be my game of the year for 2010. No, that would be a 3-way tie between that, DKC Returns and Dead Rising 2. I'm just sick of people judging certain games for certain bullshit reasons.

Editor's Note: "This week we dedicate our magazine to Minecraft."

Do I smell a ZP on that game cooking?

Well, that solidly clarifies where a few of the more interesting reviews fell. Though, there was something surprisingly playable about Darksiders that kept me playing, and led me to eventually buy it. It by far wasn't great, but it was good enough to stick in the mind, and to get me interested in the game.

TimeLord:

Yahtzee on Heavy Rain:

it was the presentation. see, video-games-are-not-art critics, this is why they are a legit medium. i watched 3 saw movies before i gave up the series in disgust, but never before have i actually unconsciously fallen off my seat and tried to put as much distance between me and the screen as possible as i did while playing that scene from Heavy Rain. bloody (haha) brilliant section in a bloody amazing game. GOTY fo sho. but i do understand yahtzee's problems with it, they just didnt bother me so much when compared to sheer brilliance of the rest of the game.

For me. the biggest downer was Alien vs Predator. What a totally empty, badly written pile of poop. It should have written itself for F##ksake. Imagine if it was third person instead of 1st and given the same love and care that Arkham Asylum was. predators and aliens use hand to hand moves so why use a format that wastes that? Melee doesn't work 1st person! Was so deeply and bitterly disappointed with that one.

Buy a pc game and if there's a character on the screen its left hand w-a-s-d to move, aim with the mouse, function keys for abilities. job done. end of story.
So why can't console gamers expect the same thing? why do some games (like the affore mentioned floating turd in the bowl of gaming) have to re-map their keys differently? why should i have to look at the manual to re-load etc. Call of Duty won. they're the biggest! just use the same control configuration as them!

TimeLord:

Yahtzee on Heavy Rain:

To me, it wasn't just "he cut off a finger, how painful", it was the fact that there is so much detail in that scene for something so small. You can drink some alcohol to dull your senses, you can stick a piece of wood in your mouth to grit your teeth against the pain, and you have the freaking choice of using a scissor, a saw, or a butcher's knife. Having the choice to make Ethan breathe slowly before he does it just raised the tension further for me. Even after the fact, there's disinfectant for you to use on the wound! All those things are very small, but they made the scene so memorable for me.

A little Alan Wake love, yes! Yahtzee should have played the DLCs (so now is your reason to get back into the game now) where the combat and exploring balance is tightened, environments never feel stale i.e. less forest sections, and you're thrown gameplay surprises every 5 minutes.

Game of the Year for me, sublime combat when you're on NIGHTMARE difficulty and it feels like a dance.

Onyx Oblivion:

sounds about right to me

Casual Shinji:

GonzoGamer:

Bioware needs to focus more of their attention to engaging gameplay rather than just simply telling an engaging story.

I'd almost say that the majority of the gameplay in Mass Effect 2 felt more like a very interactive DVD menu.

That's a good way to put it.
I can see why everybody likes it but I find it about as immersive as one of those old choose your path books.
I'm not saying that they have to copy Bethesda or even make their games real open wold dealies. I just think they have to give the player a way to own the story.

Mass Effect as a series still gives me this feeling of strangeness I can't quite put my finger on.

That's because Mass Effect 2 is the Avatar of video games, it's a video game made by a cooperate committee, done right! It has enough of everything to get every gamer interested, but no real depth to fill a niche. It's not really a shooter, it's not really an RPG, it's not really a story based game, and it's not really sandbox. It takes all the best qualities of every genre and throws them into a blender, and with millions of dollars to back the game up, the developers are able to make it look as slick and polished as any other AAA title.

Worgen:

Onyx Oblivion:

sounds about right to me

No, unless a game with boobies sticking out (being its only memorable feature) can be considered honorably...lol

GonzoGamer:
That's a good way to put it.
I can see why everybody likes it but I find it about as immersive as one of those old choose your path books.
I'm not saying that they have to copy Bethesda or even make their games real open wold dealies. I just think they have to give the player a way to own the story.

It's the same problem I had with Dragon Age: Origins: On the first playthrough, I absolutely love it because my curiosity for the story blinds me from the gameplay. But as soon as I start a second playthrough, the mediocre chore that is the gameplay suddenly reveals itself and the whole game starts to feel like inventory duty.

Yahtzee calling out a game on random humor. Oh sweet, delicious irony.

IDK, Mass effect has it's cons, but it felt more lively than, say, Fallout New Vegas. If ME2 was like marionettes on a string then NV is like trying to tie the strings onto the marionettes while being stared at by creepy stuffed animals.

On the off chance you read this yahtzee, female shepard portrays believable emotion into the role. Play a while as her.

TimeLord:

Yahtzee on Heavy Rain:

In all honesty? It's you. I've definitely heard far too many people pick that one thing out and talking about it from "that's intense" to "most awesomely memorably moment in gaming". Including me :D

There's probably a lot of people in your camp and people gell with different things, I know people who can't get into Pixar movies because it CGI, but it's really not the games fault either.

Ha and some escapee thought Yahtzee was dead!

Yahtzee likes Super Meat Boy?

Holy shit.

Nomanslander:

That's because Mass Effect 2 is the Avatar of video games, it's a video game made by a cooperate committee, done right! It has enough of everything to get every gamer interested, but no real depth to fill a niche. It's not really a shooter, it's not really an RPG, it's not really a story based game, and it's not really sandbox. It takes all the best qualities of every genre and throws them into a blender, and with millions of dollars to back the game up, the developers are able to make it look as slick and polished as any other AAA title.

I pretty much agree with this and what Yahtzee said. Mass Effect 2, for me, doesn't deserve either high praise or particular condemnation. It was pretty enough and the combat was ok, but the story and characterisation were poor. The dialog was some of the most banal crap that Bioware have ever come up with.

On the other hand Dead Rising 2 and Just Cause 2 were both games that I tried to play but failed for various reasons. I don't mean I couldn't figure out the control scheme or something I mean that after the first few sections of each game I basically lost interest. Maybe I'll try again with DR2, I sold JC2.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here