Escape to the Movies: The Green Hornet

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

The Green Hornet

This week, MovieBob buckles up for The Green Hornet.

Watch Video

Yeah, this franchise has had an interesting history.

The problem i have with this movie is that it takes so so so many things from recent superhero movies.

Origin Story: Iron Man

Newspaper Angle: Superman

Jokes: Spider Man 1 & 2

Stylish Cars: Kick-Ass

Gangsters: Kick-Ass (Again)

I don't have a problem with homages but this movie offers very little in return. It won't hurt anyone to see it, but there are so much better superhero movies out there. It's over a decade late to its own party.

There are some interesting action scenes and good visual touches but i don't recommend it.

COSMIC CUBE FTW!

Thanks for the heads up (and the Doug reference) Bob

MovieBob:
Nothing you'll remember an hour later

Sounds like most of my Saturday Nights! XD

Forgettably may be this films largest grace, since it won't hurt Seth Rogan's career in the long run.

Of course his career has an exploration date in the form of when he stops looking like he is twenty.

dagnabit, I was hoping it'd at least be a fun little romp since Rogen is HILARIOUS. Then again a lot of stuff that comes out in January is bad.

I guess "forgettable" is about as good as this could hope to be. Might catch it once it hits the cheap theater around here.

Meh. I'll watch it eventually. I didn't have high expectations for this one.

And Omega also approves the Cosmic Cube.

yellowhead:
Yeah, this franchise has had an interesting history.

The problem i have with this movie is that it takes so so so many things from recent superhero movies.

Pretty much every one of those things has been a staple of super heros since the 40's. My personal take is that at least this one doesn't take itself too seriously and knows that most of these things are standard issue.

Or better put "Daddy issues and a moral compass in a hero? Next thing you know Jews will start doing stand up"

I'm still going to throw this one on my netflix queue and watch it whenever it gets to my house.

Moriarty70:

yellowhead:

Pretty much every one of those things has been a staple of super heros since the 40's. My personal take is that at least this one doesn't take itself too seriously and knows that most of these things are standard issue.

Or better put "Daddy issues and a moral compass in a hero? Next thing you know Jews will start doing stand up"

The film doesn't really acknowledge those cliches and they've all been done better in the past.

I do have to admit that I would probably that "some guy" who would confuse this with the Green Lantern movie.

Okay, I haven't watched the full video but I just wanted to pause it and say that my dad watched the Green Hornet TV show all the time as a kid. Perhaps even moreso than than the Batman TV series, which both he and my mom watched. We even saw an episode the other day, where they were having a marathon of the show. It definitely reminded me of Batman. hearing BRUCE FUCKING LEE was in it, though, definitely had me hooked, though!

I don't really buy the Big trouble trouble in little China comparison. Mainly cause Jack Burton DOES stuff in that movie. He shoots dudes and kills Lo Pan so whats the comparison? The fact that Jacks a white guy and Wang is a Chinese dude that knows martial arts? Does that make Shanghi noon a Green Hornet remake? I love Big trouble in little China. Enough that I think its a disservice to it to make comparison to the Green Hornet. A show whose only accomplishment was to launch the career of Bruce Lee and have a reference to it in Fallout 3.

That's what happens when you take a really good idea and use it to pay off your alimony.

When I see a review of a not-so-good movie I usually just shrug and make a mental note not to waste any money on it. But this time I'm angry. They did have a good background story, they did have a decent cast and they did have a sufficient budget and the result seems to be the bare minimum of what can be done with these prerequisites.

So there it goes, another superhero story wasted with a bad script. Not good.

Also, when I saw the original series, I was pissed off to see that the "hero" was this goofy idiot instead of the slick spy-like detective with the even cooler sidekick.

While that still ticks me off, I'm probably going to see it with my dad, just so I can check it out and say I watched it.

What were they thinking casting Seth there?...
Great review even though the movie is mostly crap.

Thank you for mentioning Bruce Lee, as I said before I wasn't expecting much from this movie, as a concept it's seems okay but doesn't have the "wow" factor that alot of other super hero stories do. Also the cast all seem to think they're in different movies, Seth Rogan is treating this like a comedy, Kado is taking this way too seriously, etc. also am I I the only one annoyed by the tacked-on bullet-time effects?

I watched this as a kid, and while I didn't like it as much as the Batman series of the 60's, I still liked it.

There was a cross-over? I never saw it, I must hunt it down somehow.

I seem to recall the thing about Green hornet was that he pretended to be a criminal, and was thought of as such, and used it to get into crime-circles and used taking out his competitors as an excuse when fighting cangsters.

So, after I actually saw the TV series, I was majorly upset that the main character in the movie was a goofy idiot instead of a competent detective (with a much cooler sidekick, in both cases).

Either way, I'm probably still going to see the movie with my dad, since he was a fan of the show and he'll probably be interested in what the movie has to offer.

It's appropriately ironic that the most recent reiteration of The Green Hornet is remembered mostly for Bruce Lee, and this entire film seems to revolve around how badass Kato's character is. Seriously, every other clip for the ads has Kato doing something mind-blowing.

I saw this Wednesday night at a early screening and I thought it was alright. It's not the next "The Dark Knight" but I enjoyed myself and had a few good laughs from it so for me it's not the greatest but it isn't shit. :D

too bad it doesn't work for you, Bob.
Also, I feel a little 'green overloaded' Green goblin, Green lantern, Green hornet, idk, Green house gases?

Aptspire:
Also, I feel a little 'green overloaded' Green goblin, Green lantern, Green hornet, idk, Green house gases?

I'm guessing you haven't gone green yet lol

A Netflix blockbuster is written all over this movie.

Necromancer1991:

Aptspire:

I'm guessing you haven't gone green yet lol

actually...

Lone Ranger? The William Tell Overture.

The Green Hornet? The Flight of the Bumblebee...

Or...HOLD ON A DAMN MINUTE...they forgot the most basic element? Even Mission Impossible remembered that.

Ah heck, as one of the few real fans of the original Green Hornet (watched on a 6 inch black and white screen....yeah) I'm almost as disappointed as with the original Avengers flick.

Almost.

Not G. Ivingname:
Forgettably may be this films largest grace, since it won't hurt Seth Rogan's career in the long run.

Of course his career has an exploration date in the form of when he stops looking like he is twenty.

Adam. Fucking. Sandler. I swear to god that man hasn't aged a day.

I can somehow imagine Kevin Smith's original script-turn-comic book being the same way.

viper3:

Not G. Ivingname:

Adam. Fucking. Sandler. I swear to god that man hasn't aged a day.

Oh, forgot about the hollywood delayed aging magic.

I going to see Seth's face when I am in my 80's now aren't I? :(

This movie era we're in with unattractive/nerdy male leads having super attractive female love interests really bothers me. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's great that TV/movies are suggesting that men be valued more for their personality more than their looks (not that there was ever nearly as much pressure on men to be physically flawless anyway), but when exactly are women going to see the roles reversed, with ugly but interesting women pairing up with attractive men? Never, that's when.

I'm going to leave these two videos here for anyone to watch, If you're wonder the relevance, Kevin Smith was attached to direct The Green Hornet for a while there:

Is it just me, or do I keep on confusing Jay Chou in this movie with Harold and Kumar?

Moeez:
Is it just me, or do I keep on confusing Jay Chou in this movie with Harold and Kumar?

There's a rather racist joke there waiting for someone to blurt it out.

:-P

To be fair as soon as I heard Seth Rogen I knew this wasn't going to be a great movie. Not that I hate the guy or anything, but I've never found his 'normal guy' routine to be all that funny.

He's just beige. And any movie he's a lead in is beige as well. That's not a bad thing, he's great as a supporting actor.

I mean Green Hornet as a comic book hero is fairly beige too, but why waste a whole lot of money on making something beige?

So yeah... something to watch if you've got nothing better to do. Frankly I'll just wait for a TV channel to show it.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here