Trailers: Dragon Age II Making Of Part 2

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Dragon Age II Making Of Part 2

Bioware goes into greater detail about the framing and creation of Dragon Age 2.

Watch Video

The more I learn and watch about Dragon Age II, the more I like it. I was quite skeptical at first, but its seems incredibly interesting now.

Curse you, dialogue wheel! Curse you!

OniaPL:

Indeed.

I had already seen this, but it gets me pumped everytime.

I just wish they didn't change to the intention wheel, that makes the dialogue seem like an interview, and kept the good old phrases (some options where just so good).

I'm also hoping for new companions.

I am just so very afraid that Hawke will act like Shepard in the sense that the options are ultra-good, ultra-evil and the neutral pussy.

Random NPC:"Can I punch your testicles, Commander Shepard?"
Paragon answer: "Sure, go right ahead! Remember to bring your entire body to the punch, oyu will do more damage!
Renegade answer:"*Shepard knocks the poor retard out, and goes all Jigsaw on his ass*"
Neutral answer: "Only a little."
I loved my good but reasonable character in Origins, even if he was mute.

I too am still a little skeptical about the dialogue system. I know Bioware is trying to replicate Mass Effect with DA2, and i can't blame them. Personally, ME is my favorite game of all time. That being said..... DA:O got exactly ONE thing perfect, imo.....and that was the conversation system.

Never in any other game could i make a character more....Me. And my character was not me. She wasn't based on me at all. I am not a Cynical, Sarcastic, War Mage! Okay I'm not a war mage, I'm the rest of that. That is why I connected with my character. In ever conversation prompt, there was always at-least ONE choice that I could claim as something "I WANT to say" and i said it. and so she was someone I could be. It was Roleplaying at its best.

Almost everything else in that game was garbage (except characters and story....kinda). And now there fixing all those stuff and replacing the open dialogue system with one that TELLS you what the REACTION will be? Where the fuck is the fun in that? That's not how talking works, at all. :/

That's it! I wasn't sure if I wanted the game or not before but now I'm definitely into it.

Sincerely the dialogue option change isn't something that bothers me as i loved mass effect but my main concern is that they're making such a wildly different game, so focused on one location that it could become boring very fast....

Also aren't the graphics looking a bit dated considering we're three months from launch? i'll play it anyways but i've got this brand new computer.... please bioware?

I'm still only a little shaky on how the story of Hawke will rival the story of the Warden and his three friends who took on damn near the entire blight, before the damn thing could get off the ground. But, I'm already pre-ordered for a day one release, so it's not like I'm not willing to see.

Everything else looks freaking amazing, though. The legend being told instead of the story? Bullshit being called? Interactive framed narrative? Hells yes!

This game is looking even more better. Still I'm not sure about the storytelling system. Well we'll see when it comes out.
I personally don't understand the critic towards the dialogue wheel. I think it is just brilliant. At least I never think the phrase to the end when I'm about to say something. I have the basic idea in my head and I improvise. The fact that you have the whole phrase in front of you and you choose it and your character doesn't speak...I just don't like it that much(nothing wrong with that system. It's just a personal preference).

Looks fucking awesome as always. My SE copy is still preordered.

I know a guy who looks just like hawke... like, the only difference is the blood smear.

DVS Storm:
-snip-
I personally don't understand the critic towards the dialogue wheel. I think it is just brilliant. At least I never think the phrase to the end when I'm about to say something. I have the basic idea in my head and I improvise. The fact that you have the whole phrase in front of you and you choose it and your character doesn't speak...I just don't like it that much(nothing wrong with that system. It's just a personal preference).

Says the person with a commander Sheapherd Avatar.... -.-

I'll be honest I don't want the wheel, I like reading the dialogue options but, oh well.

I suppose it will give me more of a surprise when I do second, third, fourth play throughs to get to hear the dialog for the first time rather than re-reading it again.

So... who's gonna make a mod to restore the DA:O method of dialogue?

Also on the topi cof the dialogue wheel.... is bioware going to impliment a morality bar too? Because they would REALLY ruin the experience for me.

Question to anyone who may know, does DA2 require better stats on your computer than Dragon Age Origins?

While all that sound incredibly interesting I can't help but feel it will be mostly hot air and fall short of the ideas.
And it will probably be a poor excuse for an RPG... damn it, saddens me to say but I will wait for some second hand market.

GrizzlerBorno:
I too am still a little skeptical about the dialogue system. I know Bioware is trying to replicate Mass Effect with DA2, and i can't blame them. Personally, ME is my favorite game of all time. That being said..... DA:O got exactly ONE thing perfect, imo.....and that was the conversation system.

Never in any other game could i make a character more....Me. And my character was not me. She wasn't based on me at all. I am not a Cynical, Sarcastic, War Mage! Okay I'm not a war mage, I'm the rest of that. That is why I connected with my character. In ever conversation prompt, there was always at-least ONE choice that I could claim as something "I WANT to say" and i said it. and so she was someone I could be. It was Roleplaying at its best.

Almost everything else in that game was garbage (except characters and story....kinda). And now there fixing all those stuff and replacing the open dialogue system with one that TELLS you what the REACTION will be? Where the fuck is the fun in that? That's not how talking works, at all. :/

Agreed. I like to know exactly what my character is going to say. I hated trying to guess what Shepard would say. Multiple times what was actually said was not related to the little blurb. This is most apparent when you pick the "I don't work for cerberus" options, when you do Shepard says "I'm only working for Cerberus because..." At that point what Shepard says is drowned out by me yelling "I SAID I DON'T WORK FOR FUCKING CERBERUS AND NOW SHEPARD IS SAYING THAT HE IS WORKING FOR CERBERUS WHAT THE FUCK JJASJFKJFKAJKSDFA!".

And don't even get me started on how unnecessarily flirtatious femshep's dialog was with Jacob...

Seems its the same with DA2. Where you have 2 option when conversing with a woman: "Hey sexy" and "Get away from me you ugly bitch". Yes I know I'm overreacting, but I hate having to guess at what my character is going to say. The blurbs do not help, at all, and how your character says something is completely uncalled for half the time.

Sorry for ranting, but it feels good to get that off my chest.

Irridium:

Agreed. I like to know exactly what my character is going to say. I hated trying to guess what Shepard would say. Multiple times what was actually said was not related to the little blurb. This is most apparent when you pick the "I don't work for cerberus" options, when you do Shepard says "I'm only working for Cerberus because..." At that point what Shepard says is drowned out by me yelling "I SAID I DON'T WORK FOR FUCKING CERBERUS AND NOW SHEPARD IS SAYING THAT HE IS WORKING FOR CERBERUS WHAT THE FUCK JJASJFKJFKAJKSDFA!".

And don't even get me started on how unnecessarily flirtatious femshep's dialog was with Jacob...

Seems its the same with DA2. Where you have 2 option when conversing with a woman: "Hey sexy" and "Get away from me you ugly bitch". Yes I know I'm overreacting, but I hate having to guess at what my character is going to say. The blurbs do not help, at all, and how your character says something is completely uncalled for half the time.

That's it, let it all out.
I know what you mean and yes, i have run into situations like that. However, that isn't really the thing that bothers me the most. As i said, it's more about how limiting the system is over how mis-interpretable it is.

I like having 6 options where i read each, value them individually and then decide which one i would say if i WERE my character. The clarity definitely helps, but i wouldn't REALLY mind all that much if DA 2 had a Dialogue wheel with the 6-8 spokes only there is no pre-determined order to where the responses lie (Top for Good, Bottom for Evil, Middle for meh). But if you're going to do that you're going to have to record a LOT more audio, so i guess it isn't feasible. If it is DO THAT! If not just stick to the old system, and improve combat. of course that's not going to happen but meh...

That's my take at least, bu thanks for sharing. People Don't usually quote my rants :(

WaderiAAA:
Question to anyone who may know, does DA2 require better stats on your computer than Dragon Age Origins?

Go to Yougamers.com and try out their ....just hold on a minute then....

For some reason Hawk's voice sounds a little bit like Alistair to me, anyone else notice that or am I crazy?

I have already decided that I will be buying this game, but that video has increased my belief that DA2 will be a good game. The game is almost here too, I am excited!

WHY IS MARCH NOT HERE YET!!!???
I'm psyched for Dragon Age 2. I wasn't at first, but I came around, now it's the only game in my target range.

I'll admit the streamlining of the dialogue wheel makes it feel like we're playing Commander Hawke, but I actually like the dialogue wheel. It's a bit harder to make your character have a unique personality, but for some reason with the wheel I find myself getting into the head of the character more. I know that sounds weird, considering the written options give you more variety in how you're character talks. But the conversation wheel, I feel opens up more interperatation about the character.

It's kind of like Shepard, though many details were up to the player, Shepard had definitive personality traits no matter the gender or the alignment, but the subtler traits, the mindset of the Commander was up to the player.
For me it wasn't really Shepard said this, but I really meant for him/her to say that; it was, why did Shepard say this?

I may get way too into the minor details, but I really like getting to know my character rather than crafting him/her.

So as I'm sitting here watching it, listening to these people, a thought crosses my mind. These all seem like intelligent, reasonable, and good-natured people. Why can't they make a female character that doesn't have a chest like two watermelons? Seriously, how can Isabella sneak around like a Rogue with a pair that size? Wouldn't she have horrible back problems?

OniaPL:
I am just so very afraid that Hawke will act like Shepard in the sense that the options are ultra-good, ultra-evil and the neutral pussy.

Paragon answer: "Sure, go right ahead! Remember to bring your entire body to the punch, oyu will do more damage!
Renegade answer:"*Shepard knocks the poor retard out, and goes all Jigsaw on his ass*"

You get 0 creativity points for stealing from Shamus Young.

No, the individual choices in Mass Effect 2 were reasonable enough I thought. The trouble is that because of the Paragon/Renegade option you were just trying to max out one bar in exclusion to the other.

For example, there's a point where you run into an injured blue suns merc. He gets a radio call from his boss asking him where he is. If you have a high enough Paragon/Renegade score you can make him ignore it. If not he will report into them, and there's a Renegade option to shoot him. The first time I played through that I wanted to take that last option, but I felt like I couldn't because of the stupid score system. If there were room for some middle-ground instead of going all good or all evil you could probably even do some real role-playing. Unfortunately shades of gray don't seem to give any gameplay benefit.

GrizzlerBorno:

Irridium:

That's it, let it all out.
I know what you mean and yes, i have run into situations like that. However, that isn't really the thing that bothers me the most. As i said, it's more about how limiting the system is over how mis-interpretable it is.

I like having 6 options where i read each, value them individually and then decide which one i would say if i WERE my character. The clarity definitely helps, but i wouldn't REALLY mind all that much if DA 2 had a Dialogue wheel with the 6-8 spokes only there is no pre-determined order to where the responses lie (Top for Good, Bottom for Evil, Middle for meh). But if you're going to do that you're going to have to record a LOT more audio, so i guess it isn't feasible. If it is DO THAT! If not just stick to the old system, and improve combat. of course that's not going to happen but meh...

That's my take at least, bu thanks for sharing. People Don't usually quote my rants :(

I'd say these two problems will just compound each other. I can't even begin to count how much of the time I sat there looking at the options saying "bloody hell, none of this is good for me" even in RPS titles with 4-6 dialog options. And yeah, I hate the "hey, I thought that option was for saying something entirely else" surprise as well.

Still, SE preordered.... I hope it will be worth it, but I'm still skeptical.

onlytwomoremonths onlytwomoremonths onlytwomoremonths twomoremonths twomoremonthes twomonths twomonths twomonths two two two...

Anyone else that just hade to laugh at the cake joke?

Whats taking March so long?

When I see videos like this, I can't help but chuckle about all the people who, upon hearing that they were streamlining combat and exploring a different character, were up in arms. I liked DA:O, but it wasn't a perfect game. I hated that my rogue moved just as quickly as my tank. I like the improvements that I've seen, but also I'm a closet hack-and-slasher.

I'm really excited for the narrative structure. As they mention in the video, I've never really seen that structure done for an interactive, choice-based game. It fits the fantasy setting so well, too, because it affords the ability to embellish. Also, any narration can spell out the plot devices. When there's no narrator, people often rely on having the characters state the obvious in the game, which is pretty lame. Although the narration may be cliche and ham-fisted, it allows the characters to be more subtle (in movies, you may be able to rely on facial expressions to convey hidden meanings. But, let's face it, Bioware aren't exactly known for realistic facial expressions).

Stevepinto3:

No, the individual choices in Mass Effect 2 were reasonable enough I thought. The trouble is that because of the Paragon/Renegade option you were just trying to max out one bar in exclusion to the other.

For example, there's a point where you run into an injured blue suns merc. He gets a radio call from his boss asking him where he is. If you have a high enough Paragon/Renegade score you can make him ignore it. If not he will report into them, and there's a Renegade option to shoot him. The first time I played through that I wanted to take that last option, but I felt like I couldn't because of the stupid score system. If there were room for some middle-ground instead of going all good or all evil you could probably even do some real role-playing. Unfortunately shades of gray don't seem to give any gameplay benefit.

It's not stealing, it's borrowing. :D
It was just a pretty perfect example.

The main problem I had with the dialogue wheel was that I couldn't exactly tell beforehand what Shepard is going to say. I like to know what I am doing, and the dialogue wheel doesnt help in that.
Secondly it was always paragon, top right, neutral, right, renegade, bottom right. The game constantly held your hand and told you: "See, this is the right option that will bring rainbows and lollipops to everyone, but if you had a bad day and want to be a dick, then this option is for you."
With Mass Effect's wheel I felt like a spectator, but with Dragon Age's system I felt like it was me discussing with with Leliana or Alistair. I felt much more involved.

Once at camp during a game in which I was romancing morrigan, she suddendly started raging about something. And the game didn't hold your hand, you just had to choose the dialogue option that you felt was right (Okay, still the approval system had its problems but I still enjoyed the conversations), while Mass Effect clearly states "This is good and this is bad".

GrizzlerBorno:

WaderiAAA:

Wow, thanks a lot. I never heard about this site.

OniaPL:

Once at camp during a game in which I was romancing morrigan, she suddendly started raging about something. And the game didn't hold your hand, you just had to choose the dialogue option that you felt was right (Okay, still the approval system had its problems but I still enjoyed the conversations), while Mass Effect clearly states "This is good and this is bad".

This is true, but one advantage the Mass Effect dialogue system had was consistency. I can go talk to Motrigan and adopt the whole "survival of the strongest" mentality, then go talk to Lilliana and be sweet and caring. And the game rewards me for it (assuming I don't try and get it on with both of them). It didn't support role-playing so much as just smooth-talking everyone...well maybe in a sense that is role-playing, but it's very limited.

There are a number of issues with the dialogue options in both games, one being that it's not always clear exactly what you're saying. You pick an option that you assume implies one thing, then either Shepard says it in a very different tone than you expect, or your ally takes it to mean something apart from what you intended. That's why I like the idea of a symbol representing what your saying in DA2.

Irridium:
At that point what Shepard says is drowned out by me yelling "I SAID I DON'T WORK FOR FUCKING CERBERUS AND NOW SHEPARD IS SAYING THAT HE IS WORKING FOR CERBERUS WHAT THE FUCK JJASJFKJFKAJKSDFA!".

You get revived by Cerberus. You get your ship from Cerberus. You get your list of squad members from Cerberus. After each mission, you get paid, by Cerberus.

Dude, Shepard works for Cerberus. Still, I kinda get your point.

OniaPL:

It's not really ultra good or ultra evil. It's more "team player" vs "Dirty Harry"

It might be because that I haven't had the chance to play any of Bioware's games before Mass Effect, but I prefer the dialog wheel over the silent protagonist. With that said, I can't wait for this! I didn't have any problem with the changes in this version. I was a little disappointed with the lack of choice for your species, but I am open to change in sequels. If I wanted to play the same game again, I would plop the original game in the tray.

Stevepinto3:
So as I'm sitting here watching it, listening to these people, a thought crosses my mind. These all seem like intelligent, reasonable, and good-natured people. Why can't they make a female character that doesn't have a chest like two watermelons? Seriously, how can Isabella sneak around like a Rogue with a pair that size? Wouldn't she have horrible back problems?

OniaPL:

I guess you never played Ninja Gaiden if you think those were unreasonable, There are a lot of Bioware female characters that are reasonably sized.

Also, I never got why people hate the paragon and renegade options, you don't have to max one or the other, you can max out both at the same time, and suffer no penalties. It's what I always ended up doing. Also, a lot of the quests do have middle ground, keeping part of the genophage cure, but killing the student or vice versa, but I'd rather not get into an argument about that subject.

Irridium:

Hey, for once I agree with you on this, I can see why you personally don't like it, but when it comes to either this or a set in stone story, I think I'll choose the one with a little more room. It's also a shame that some mechanics need to happen in order for the game to progress and for no other reason.

OniaPL:

I just hope it isn't timed. Really, I preferred when I could control EXACTLY what they said.

Also, does anyone know whether or not there'll be more traveling than just around this one city? Staying in one city for the whole game sounds kind of... boring. But perhaps I took the 'traveling in time rather than traveling great distances' too seriously?

WaderiAAA:

GrizzlerBorno:

WaderiAAA:

Wow, thanks a lot. I never heard about this site.

No problem, buddy. :)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or