Nominees for Game of the Year

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Oh Mass Effect, your awesomeness knows no bounds. Please shine your kick bootyness upon us

Totally dig Heavy Rain and Red Dead as a tie for 2nd place

Slycne:

Captain Pirate:
In other news, where is Minecraft on that Nominee list?

Minecraft has not been released officially, so thus not in the running for 2010.

It's available for purchase, I'd say it's only in beta in the same way that MMOs are constantly being patched and updated and expanded upon.

ME2, SC2, and Reach are my favourites.
The Reach vs Blops for me is simple, Blops bored me to death, and I still play Reach frequently.
I do think that Cataclysm shouldn't have been nominated. It was sold as a separate disc and all that, but it was technically just an expansion. Awakenings is arguably better.

I honestly don't understand how Civ V makes people lists of best games of <N period>. It was such a disappointment.

Yes, I've played through to the finish multiple times. Yes, there are a number of neat features in the game. But for me it is so badly flawed I've gone back to playing civ 4 instead.

Lets look at the good:

The city states in particular are a fun and exciting new mechanic. The combat is improved - although I disagree with all the people excitedly spraying their praises of it. It's better, but not *that much* better. I suspect part of the reason people feel like the new combat system adds so much is because turns in which you are not at war are *so dull*. The new and improved culture is also fun, although it doesn't feel particularly well balanced.

But so many aspects of the game are worse. Buildings all feel incredibly generic. City build trees are so mechanical it hurts. The tech tree has been pruned into what I am sure they intended as a beatifully crafted bonzai but appears to me as a fire-ravaged shrub. And - by design - having an actual, you know, empire is strongly discouraged.

And the game is an outrageously buggy beta version of itself. It crashes frequently. There are constant graphical glitches - both of the 'can't draw the terrain fast enough' kind and the 'oh look, the pyramids are under fucking water' kind.

And for all the talk of 'the combat is better' there is another major counterpoint: The AI is functionally retarded. It's incapable of making use of a navy. It can barely make use of the ranged units. It doesn't seem very good at upgrading its units. It makes combat decisions like it is drunk and can't take a city to save its fucking life. It surrenders at the slightest sign of danger (although that one may have been fixed in a patch).

And if you're making a game where one of the major improvements to a franchise is 'combat is more interesting'...and you can't do an AI that can even remotely deal with the combat, what is the fracking point??

In (not very) short: This is not the best game this year. It's probably not even the best strategy game.

edit: On the other hand, ME2 would get my nod. Fun gameplay (although not flawless), pretty worlds compared to the firsts grey mud and 3 buildings, amazing characters, excellent voice acting, great plot. But I'd give it the nod because the developers spent an outrageous amount of effort *finding out what was wrong with the first game* and trying to fix it. I didn't like 100% of the changes, but enough; they fixed most of the flaws very well and the ones they introduced were minor. A++.

Woodsey:

Slycne:

Captain Pirate:
In other news, where is Minecraft on that Nominee list?

Minecraft has not been released officially, so thus not in the running for 2010.

It's available for purchase, I'd say it's only in beta in the same way that MMOs are constantly being patched and updated and expanded upon.

It's certainly a tricky one, but by the fact that it's still being called a beta and it's going to 'launch' at some later date is why it was excluded for the previous year, otherwise it might have appeared in the list.

+1 for ME2. I've gone on lengths about just how much I love that game. Really nothing much to say. It's everything I ever wanted in a video game, and I'm happy by just how well it's done both critically and in sales. It being released for PS3 this month makes me happy that even more people will play it.

SMG 2 is easily the victor.

I think we should give an award to the game that I believe deserves it the most- Civ V. It's a fun, immersive, and intelligent game- sure, it's not got a story or tale to tell, but it's accomplishments and improvements over it's predecessor, combined with the fact the franchise still dominates the 4X field of strategy games speaks volumes. And it has eaten several hundred hours of my life.

If I had to pick a second choice, it would be Mass Effect 2. In better circumstances, I'd be begging the Escapist to make it their GOTY. However I'm not going to put any support in for that. Relative to the games that came out in 2010, yeah, ME2 is pretty damn good. But if we compare it to the original Mass Effect, the only improvements (if you define these as them, anyway) is a streamlining and simplification of the combat system. The premise, plot, and story were convoluted, filled with holes, and below-par for a BioWare product. If anyone here agrees with me, I'd hope you'd consider withdrawing support for ME2.

But the final decision is down to the folks at the Escapist; so that rant was futile.

Throwing my vote in for Rock Band 3... That game takes music games to the next level, and I gotta support my favourite developers at HMX.

Honourable Mention to Assassin's Creed.

This list is full of shit. Seriously. Fallout New Vegas? You mad or what?

And where is GoW3? I'm disappointed. That said, my personal GoTY is undecided between Splatterhouse and Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage.

Even thou I've not played it & I'm more of a WoW fan than anything else Starcraft II would be my choice // For nothing else it should come down to the wait Blizzard caused people the suffer through fbefore they released the game compared to how much people have& will enjoy it over the next few years // Remember there are still a huge amounts of hardcore Starcraft 1 fans

-M

Mass Effect 2, because it manages to be incredibly cinematic and thrilling while also using the element of player interaction to become extremely personal. It's a well made, fun game at a simple level as well as doing all of the "high brow" moral choices and artistic merit stuff brilliantly.

There are a few games on that list that I wouldn't mind seeing crowned GOTY, though; RDR definitely, and a few others which are excellent as far as I'm aware but which I haven't played that much.

That RB3 section was a great laugh! It must be a joke nominee because it really doesn't deserve to be up there.
My vote's for KEY, as it's the only one this year that made me feel "happy" about playing.

Kirby!

Submit to the softness!

Jaranja:

GeorgW:

IamSofaKingRaw:
WTF? How the heck is GOW3 not on this list? Whatever I swear sometimes *mumblemumble*

*Walks aways angrily

That was my first thought as well. But it's hard to narrow it down I guess. I would also have liked to see a few indie games on there, are they not eligable?

I guess not. Did Dragon Age: Awakening come out this year? If so, that should be on there as well.

I hate to see games like Drgaon Age: Awakenign and Fallout New Vagas. While they are both great game, the amount of bugs in them are just insane. I hope a bug fest don't represent the games of this year.

ac brotherhood
or mario galaxy

rest are retreads or wholesale meh

See, I was all ready, as soon as I could confirm that Red Dead Redemption was a nominee, to come in here and declare that I hope it becomes Game of the Year.

And then upon finishing the list, I was reminded SMG2 came out this year. I am now conflicted.

Are indie games exempt?
If not why aren't Super Meat Boy and MInecraft on there?

I actually think all games put on there are good, i may not of played all of them, but i have alot of good things about each one and i can see how each have furthered the gaming industry forcing other companies to sit up and take notice. However i would have to say the game that should win should be Mass Effect 2 or Assassins Creed Brotherhood for being so large and immersive. Honourable mention going to both Rock Band 3 and Heavy Rain for doing something different and kinda new and puling it off well.

Mutilator7:
Are indie games exempt?
If not why aren't Super Meat Boy and MInecraft on there?

minecraft is still in beta (alpha? im not sure) so when it gets a release it will be allotted in that years category.

Super meat boy, as fun and cost effective as it is (its really good value) isn't as impressive as a lot of other full games, at least thats how i would justify its non-inclusion (although it is kinda on par with the kirby game, so have a go at the escapist mods)

SCII is my winner... don't know whether you could count Cata really *shrug* of course I think WoW is bloody great bu lets face it... they have 10 years on the other games, not really the game of THIS year :)... Spot the Blizzard fan boy :P

Heavy Rain, really? Are we all still pretending that game was a groundbreaking piece of art? It was a game based around story and characters, but completely sucked at both.

Let's bar that the plot was derivative, or that the voice acting was atrocious, or that the characters had less personality than grass, or that most of them, if not all, were white with short brown hair (even the women), in some kind of statement about David Cage's ideal world, or it's grating, trying-too-hard soundtrack, or that it's the exact same game as Indigo Prophecy minus the supernatural elements, or that those same gameplay mechanics weren't any revolutionary in that game, since it just took the adventure game and QTE portions of the Shenmue series...and did nothing new with them.

Bar all of that stuff that I just mentioned. Let's focus on three things:

1) The script: yes, I kind of covered this with how the plot was derivative and the characters sucking, but I wanted to point out that the script was written purposefully to jerk the player around. A good mystery story sets itself up in a way that people can put it together from earlier clues. A David Cage mystery has people act in a way that no person ever acts so that the mystery killer doesn't get revealed too early (see: the scene where the killer's mom whispers the name to one of the characters, even though they're the only two people in the room), or edits scenes to remove incriminating evidence (see: the antique shop scene, where the PI goes 'Gee, I wonder what happened to my buddy.'), not to mention the laughably bad 'let's see the characters' thoughts' monologues, which would have the characters lie to the audience in their own private thoughts (the reporter character and the PI being the striking examples), all to keep their dramatic twists under wraps. The good mystery engages the audience to try and figure out the mystery, the Cage mystery is him standing between the audience and the story and go "See, I'm better than you are, and I'm going to spend the next several hours proving it."

2) So, we have a female lead get sexaually assaulted twice in the same day, then arbitrarily try to hop in bed with the dad looking for his kid, not to mention her dramatic twist that makes her come across as manipulative. With the majority of the remaining women being either helpless or non-entities, the whole game has a very misogynist vibe to it that makes most first person-shooters look progressive by comparison (notice I said 'vibe' not 'theme,' I think Cage only used the woman lead the same way other games use women: to sell games to horny teenage boys).

3) The mechanics: Despite the claim that everything you do matters in the game, most of the button presses in the QTE scenes don't do anything (and the ones that do are telegraphed with a loooooong bit of slow-motion), while the rest of the game is a dull, plodding adventure game. There's not much to talk about here.

Overall, this is a pretty weak list (Fallout: New Vegas was my favorite, and even that I wouldn't call 'game of the year' because of all the horror stories about bugs).

EDIT: I didn't play Civ V, WOW, Starcraft II, or Super Mario Galaxy 2, so maybe those are all that and a bag of chips. The rest...eh, not so much.

Halo Reach FTW!!!!

I thought that this was a serious topic.....then I saw that you included a Warcraft Title and I knew this was a joke contest....has to be.

SamElliot'sMustache:

Overall, this is a pretty weak list (Fallout: New Vegas was my favorite, and even that I wouldn't call 'game of the year' because of all the horror stories about bugs).

EDIT: I didn't play Civ V, WOW, Starcraft II, or Super Mario Galaxy 2, so maybe those are all that and a bag of chips. The rest...eh, not so much.

oki well i'll run through the pluses and negatives to those games i did play out of them

civ 5 + (better at what it does) - (what it does still isn't that interesting)
starcraft 2 + (very shiny, and quite enjoyable) - (it has a bit of a copypasta feel if you have played the first one)

super mario galaxy 2 + (fun gameplay, good graphics considering its platform best wii game of the year) - (the usual mario downsides, lack of story, a little childish, it has colours so people who are fans of the gritty thing would hate it)

Starcraft2 should win or RDR (It's going to be the less than stellar ME2 though)

There is a total of two games that aren't either a sequel or part of a franchise.

Epic.

Sevre:
I'm going for Starcraft 2 for breathing new life into the RTS genre by going back to basics and building from there. It wasn't the most ambitious game of the year, and it wasn't the most polished. Indeed it had the terrible Battle.net integration.

Yet when the current tide of RTS games seems to go for sheer scale (Sins of a Solar Empire, Sup Com, Demigod etc.) Blizzard simply took the original game and brought it to the next generation. It's a highly competitive RTS that plays at breakneck speed, which anyone can get absorbed in. For its replay value alone I'd give it GOTY, even if it doesn't win GOTY, in ten years people will look back and call 2010 the year of Starcraft 2.

so your voting sc2 because its doing the same damn thing many other rts games have done before it? critics shit on dynasty warriors all the time because it does the same thing over and over yet no one did that to sc2 damn people

Dawn of War 2 is a much better game but since only an "expansion" of it came out this year it doesnt make its much deserved place in most of these awards

The lack of representation of indie games on this list makes me weep sad, salty tears. Super Meat Boy! LIMBO! Amnesia! Even VVVVVV is better than half the crap on this list.

awesomeClaw:
I hope it goes to Heavy Rain. That game really deserves it.

Amen to that, brother. Well, I talked about this game on this forum and outside for almost a year, and for a good reason. Some people may hate it, and it may never actually win any GoTY award, but until the release of L.A. Noire or another game by QD, Heavy Rain will be uncontested for the no.1 spot in my (huge) gaming library.

But really, looking at all those nominated titles, some other games that deserved to be mentioned here (God of War III, Gran Turismo 5, Bayonetta), and a few others not really in the competition spot, but I loved them all as well (Alpha Protocol, Amnesia, Vanquish), all I'm going to say is:

2010 was one of the best years in gaming EVER

okay, one little problem I have on this list, expansion packs should NEVER count. See if you can guess which one I mean.

bahumat42:

SamElliot'sMustache:

oki well i'll run through the pluses and negatives to those games i did play out of them

civ 5 + (better at what it does) - (what it does still isn't that interesting)
starcraft 2 + (very shiny, and quite enjoyable) - (it has a bit of a copypasta feel if you have played the first one)

super mario galaxy 2 + (fun gameplay, good graphics considering its platform best wii game of the year) - (the usual mario downsides, lack of story, a little childish, it has colours so people who are fans of the gritty thing would hate it)

Thanks. I enjoy a lot of the Mario games, and Super Mario Galaxy 2 was one of those games I was looking forward to trying out...but never got around to (quite a few of those this year...). As for the other two, they sound good, but I don't have a gaming PC.

EDIT: Since my previous post was a bit on the negative side: my choice for game of the year would be Dead Rising 2, because it was the most solid experience I've played all year (I loved New Vegas more, but the bugs make it more of an 'honorable mention'; also, I kind of wish I could try out some quality indie games). It had AI allies who were actually useful (for the most part), kept up the tension of being in a zombie movie (loved the limited time mechanic for missions, though I guess that's a carry over from the first), coupled with being able to use damn near everything in the game to stay alive. Just wish the bosses weren't so overpowered.

*Looks at the nominees*
*Looks at steam*

Okay, so I have played ONE of the candidates for about 2 hours, and I haven't played any of the other ones. Oh well.

*Watches Top Gear, Plays Minecraft, Gets Pig*

No Limbo? it was by far the most original and unique game to come out this year. Hell in the last decade.

[qoute] We'd be happy with any one of these games being honored as our choice because they all bring something important to the ongoing development of game design....[/quote]

And then BAM Assassin's creed: Brotherhood, an expansion sequel :/
A great expansion sequel, but nonetheless...

OT: Another list? I thought you guys were just going to do the top 5for each editor lists and then be done with it. 2010 was not THAT good of a year to get THIS much attention.

No love for the dead rising 2? i is disapoint :(

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or