Nominees for Game of the Year

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

No love for the dead rising 2? i is disapoint :(

Exort:

Jaranja:

GeorgW:

That was my first thought as well. But it's hard to narrow it down I guess. I would also have liked to see a few indie games on there, are they not eligable?

I guess not. Did Dragon Age: Awakening come out this year? If so, that should be on there as well.

I hate to see games like Drgaon Age: Awakenign and Fallout New Vagas. While they are both great game, the amount of bugs in them are just insane. I hope a bug fest don't represent the games of this year.

I got Awakening relatively soon after the release and it didn't have any bugs in it for me. I would've liked to see it nominated.

GeorgW:

Jaranja:

GeorgW:

If you mean Origins, then no, that was late 2009.

No, I mean Awakening. The expansion pack.

Well, these are supposed to be about games, not expansions. But they already nominated cataclysm. So I don't know, maybe it's hard for DLC to compete with full games. I still think a few indie games deserved nominations.

I don't think expansions are DLC. Awakening is, pretty much, a full game; a good one, too. If Cataclysm was put on here, so should Awakening.

think it has to go to mass effect two... a year on and there's still topic after topic discussing it on the forums...

Personally, I found those of these that I played on the list only to be good for a single playthrough. Lots of polish, but no real depth. I wouldn't mind but these things cost 110 AUD at launch these days, an outrageous sum given that our dollar is now on par with the US. I used to pay 60 bucks for a game and I'd actually want to play it a dozen times over. They're all game of the year contenders in my book, but what a boring year. The only really innovative game I played is Minecraft.

Yes it's been a poor year indeed.

Most original game in that list would be Kirby's epic yarn.
The polished AAA titles on there are all sequels.

Civ 5 shouldn't even be on a top list as it was such a disappointment.

meh. Maybe this year will be better.

Warachia:
okay, one little problem I have on this list, expansion packs should NEVER count. See if you can guess which one I mean.

see everyone says that about brotherhood but it actually had a lot more extra content than most full sequels have. The multiplayer alone makes it worthwhile. But having your own band of assassins in the (decent length) campaign only sweetens the pie.

Shamanic Rhythm:
Personally, I found those of these that I played on the list only to be good for a single playthrough. Lots of polish, but no real depth. I wouldn't mind but these things cost 110 AUD at launch these days, an outrageous sum given that our dollar is now on par with the US. I used to pay 60 bucks for a game and I'd actually want to play it a dozen times over. They're all game of the year contenders in my book, but what a boring year. The only really innovative game I played is Minecraft.

which is stil in BETA

Can't say I've played all those games, but go starcraft!

while i'd have liked to see a little indie representation on there i will add this: i thought black ops was stellar. at least the single player anyway since i couldn't care less about the multiplayer.

jp201:
No Limbo? it was by far the most original and unique game to come out this year. Hell in the last decade.

Limbo was fun, but I had a massive problem with the game length. Just as I was really getting into the game it ended, and it was lacking in variation at some points (The massive spider was super cool, the rest, slightly repetitive)

That being said, the art style was truly beautiful and the gameplay was damn fun (:

What no Battlefield Bad Company 2? It was easily the most entertaining team based fps of this year.

Woodsey:

Slycne:

Captain Pirate:
In other news, where is Minecraft on that Nominee list?

Minecraft has not been released officially, so thus not in the running for 2010.

It's available for purchase, I'd say it's only in beta in the same way that MMOs are constantly being patched and updated and expanded upon.

It's also a hell of a lot more finished than most "finished" games these days.

Give it to Kirby.

SOMEBODY!

Someone needs to give GOTY to Kirby.

If I see Red Dead or Mass Effect 2 take another award, I'll vomit.

Good list Escapist, but I think I could cock-slap you alone for including Kirby's Epic Yarn.

That game represented almost everything that's wrong with Nintendo nowadays, and my sister finished in like, 4 1/2 hours. That was $50 well spent...

Sure it's cute, but so are koala's, and those little fuckers will KILL you.

PS. Where the FUCK was Bayonetta!?

LogicNProportion:
Good list Escapist, but I think I could cock-slap you alone for including Kirby's Epic Yarn.

That game represented almost everything that's wrong with Nintendo nowadays, and my sister finished in like, 4 1/2 hours. That was $50 well spent...

You ever heard of replay value?

Kirby is oozing replay value.

Onyx Oblivion:

LogicNProportion:

You ever heard of replay value?

Kirby is oozing replay value.

You are speaking to a man who has more completed saved games of FF7 than he has games, and I have quite the collection.

Yes, I know replay value. Going back to collect orbs and shit you missed is not good replay value. Good replay value should be when you have options to do something else differently to complete your goal.

I experienced Kirby's Epic Yarn from start to finish. I love Kirby, but not that one. I stand by my opinion that this game had no business being associated with Kirby at all. Nintendo could have made a new franchise, but HELL NO!

Kirby is oozing fail value.

Escapist staff working together to judge the best game of 2010.i like..

Only played 4 of the games on that list and of those 4 my vote would go to Super Mario Galaxy 2.The others I played(Assassin's Creed:Brotherhood,Mass Effect 2 and Red Dead Redemption)were great games as well but Galaxy was the only one where I enjoyed every minute of it from start to finish

Still waiting for Kirby to be released here btw *grumble grumble*

Well I've got to be boring and throw my vote (for what that counts for) to Mass Effect 2. I keep hearing complaints about how things don't seem to be making any impact between games, but most of the time it's just because those people overlooked the details. It's a subtle brilliance, assuming they manage to make everything feel worth it by ME3.

As much as I'd like to see Heavy Rain get rewarded for its efforts, I don't think it's GOTY material, just because it's so polarizing in it's entertainment value. I personally loved it, but most of the people I know would dismiss it as a glorified QTE without giving it a chance.

Starcraft 2 was great, but concerning. There's still abusive tactics online, but other than that it's a well done game. Shame they seem to have forgotten how to make a dark storyline though, or make monsters...monsters (that said, I love the Zerg designs, they're just not...Zergy). That and the Prophecies arc felt overwhelmingly cheesy and lore-breaking to me. Many disagree, but ehh...if that's what I can expect from Legacy of the Void, I'll stop at Heart of the Swarm and just read a Protoss fanfic instead. Big issues in my eyes, but the game itself makes for a very enjoyable and well designed experience on its own.

As for Cataclysm...I hear good things though I haven't tried it myself. But as for the new races seeming natural and lore-progressive: I completely disagree, but concede that Burning Crusade was worse.

AssCreed: Brotherhood

Mine are:Mass Effect 2,Fallout:NV and Bloodstone

Oh lord that's alot of rehashes.

I'd probably toss it somewhere between Civ V, Reach, Mass Effect 2 or RDR. But you guys forgot a game that deserves to be here far more than crap like expansions of Assassins Creed 2 or Fallout 3, namely, you forgot Just Cause 2. I think Metro 2033 was released in 2010 as well, and that game was fucking awesome.

It's tie between Civ 5 and F:NV. Civ 5 due to all of the great changes made to the core Civ gameplay (even if it was a weebit broken and in need of patching). F:NV showed once again why Obsidian is who you turn to if you want a game written properly. Their world building remains unbeatable and seeing Fallout regain that distinct Fallout feel again just made me ecstatic. Sure it was glitchy, but whoopdeeshit. It's still one of the best RPGs in recent memory.

I sure as hell hope that Mass Effect 2 doesn't get it. It's an average 3rd person shooter with, admittedly, well written side quests, but is overall a terrible RPG. The main storyline is atrocious and actually damaged what was established in ME1 (the Reapers got especially retconned to shit). It honestly feels like Bioware was trying to hide the fact that they were out of ideas for the main plotline and decided to instead distract everyone with sidequest baloney.

bahumat42:

Warachia:
okay, one little problem I have on this list, expansion packs should NEVER count. See if you can guess which one I mean.

see everyone says that about brotherhood but it actually had a lot more extra content than most full sequels have. The multiplayer alone makes it worthwhile. But having your own band of assassins in the (decent length) campaign only sweetens the pie.

Actually I meant cataclysm, a game can take place in the same time period with the same characters and it used to be called a sequel, if something is released, and only upgrades or improves currently existing items in the game, adds a new set of events, and needs the game before it to play it, it is an expansion pack.

Warachia:

bahumat42:

Warachia:

Actually I meant cataclysm, a game can take place in the same time period with the same characters and it used to be called a sequel, if something is released, and only upgrades or improves currently existing items in the game, adds a new set of events, and needs the game before it to play it, it is an expansion pack.

i apologies for jumping down your throat then.

The lack of FF13 pleases me.

Mass Effect 2 please!

KTHXBAI

Heavy Rain did more for the potential of video games to tell stories that rival those of other media, and against the notion that video games cannot be art, than any game I can remember -- much less any game this year.

If you truly care about video games beyond just wanting to own the coolest way to blow up a 12-year-old, this is important.

That, alone, makes it deserving of GotY.

Please Escapist staff, for the love of god, don't give it to ME2 or RDR. As good as they were, everyone gave them GOTY awards. Please be original, pick something else!

Make it Super Mariop Galaxy 2! *wink wink*

Rogun11:
No love for the dead rising 2? i is disapoint :(

Indeed, the most underrated game of the year by far. It seems only a couple people know the game exists (and is awesome!).

My personal picks would have been "Amnesia:The Dark Descent" and "Castlevania: Lords of Shadow."

"We'd be happy with any one of these games being honored as our choice because they all bring something important to the ongoing development of game design..."

Seriously though I thought "Amnesia" did this the best. It brought a rarely used style of game-play and actually brought true terror to the hearts of gamers everywhere.

Oh look a list comprised entirely of AAA games, completely ignoring the far superior indie games that came out this year. Grats on being a shill for the huge soul consuming production companies.

Mass Effect 2, there was no better game this year. <--(Period)

What a poor year for gaming it has been.

My top three games are Gran Turismo 5, Heavy Rain and Dark Void. None of which really deserve that spot had anything great come out this year.

Epic Yarn or Starcraft II winning will make me happy. Everything else is either okay or riff raff bullshit.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here