Have Dice, Will Travel: Košice

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Have Dice, Will Travel: Košice

Keith Baker travels the world, running tabletop games for anyone who's willing to put him up for a few days. Today's stop: Slovakia.

Read Full Article

That's an interesting life he lives. I don't think I could do something like that. I'm not very trusting, and I'm not very entertaining either.

This was an interesting article. The thing is , i live in a post-soviet country, too. And my first experience with D&D was also in a flat like the one in the article, i remember it had only a kitchen and a living room. So we sat around the table and started playing. And dammit, it was so fun. 6 hours later, we noticed we were really hungry. No-one though the game would make time fly by so fast, and no-one even though about buying snacks. So we had to improvise and cleaned our host's refrigerator out. But the next time everyone brought some money and we bought some chips and other stuff. And then we REALLY started to play.

interesting article, and a series (this is gonna be a series, right?) i can't wait to read more off :)

Haha, the food portion thing is so true :-) The Slovakians are wonderful hosts! My girlfriend is Slovakian and whenever we go over to visit her parents, i'm always being given huge portions of food pretty much constantly! I feel bad I have to say 'no' so often :-)

Very interesting article. Looking forward to future editions.

Kudos for my country! :D

Can i bring up something that i've been thinking about? I've never played D&D (I wanna try) but i was thinking. What if Minecraft was allowed to become the next engine for Roleplaying on a computer? As in When you make a multiplayer server, the server host acts as DM and is in permanent InvEdit mode. He can also create and control "NPC's" and make whatever he wants, and give the rest of the players quests and stuff? Any thoughts? Should i make a thread about this or sth?

GrizzlerBorno:
Can i bring up something that i've been thinking about? I've never played D&D (I wanna try) but i was thinking. What if Minecraft was allowed to become the next engine for Roleplaying on a computer? As in When you make a multiplayer server, the server host acts as DM and is in permanent InvEdit mode. He can also create and control "NPC's" and make whatever he wants, and give the rest of the players quests and stuff? Any thoughts? Should i make a thread about this or sth?

Kind of already exists. Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 both had a DM mode where one player was the DM and could do anything (script NPC's ahead of time or morph and play them himself, spawn enemies, place traps etc etc etc). They were both 3.5 edition.

I believe Neverwinter Nights 3 will be 4E and will probably feature the same DM mode.

As for its usefulness... it's just not the same as dming at a table :-) It's much harder to adlib and be flexible. At a table with limited tools, you can throw together an encounter and create a map in minutes. Not quite so easy if you've pre scripted an encounter or you need to build a map using a map editor and run around spawning enemies :-)

Nothing will ever beat the tabletop for D&D (or the virtual table top for those of us that have online games) but it can be a cool experience :-)

Very interesting article, I do hope for more editions as well.

Bravo on the article!

I really hope to see more in this series!

I never expected to see something even remotely connected to my country here.

That was one of the nicest things i've read in a while. Hope this is a series, i'm surprised the Escapist have such a travel budget available.

The Bucket:
Hope this is a series, i'm surprised the Escapist have such a travel budget available.

I wish they did, Bucket! This is something I'm doing on my own, which does limit where I go. I made ten stops on the leg that included Slovakia, and I'll likely wait to return to Europe until I have a similar set lined up. Since my hosts provide me with hospitality in exchange for the game, my costs are reduced, but the travel itself has always been on me.

Go Team Go!!!!

Hey Keith. I'd invite you back to Dublin, but neither myself nor my friends have any spare room. Which is a damn shame.

Glad to hear you've enjoyed yourself anyway. Where's the next article set?

This sounds like an amazing idea! I'm glad that it is here, because i would pay for this and more of these amazing stories.

Keith Baker, you are an awesome guy. I've actually had the privilege of playing a game with you as DM when you made an appearance at one of the gaming conventions in L.A. just after the ECS was released; your players are in for a treat. I greatly look forward to future articles.

I am curious, though: did you set your adventure in Eberron?

That was more than interesting, your life must be like an adventure on itself.

Keith Baker:

The Bucket:
Hope this is a series, i'm surprised the Escapist have such a travel budget available.

I wish they did, Bucket! This is something I'm doing on my own, which does limit where I go. I made ten stops on the leg that included Slovakia, and I'll likely wait to return to Europe until I have a similar set lined up. Since my hosts provide me with hospitality in exchange for the game, my costs are reduced, but the travel itself has always been on me.

Yikes, then i'm doubly impressed. Kind of a Minstrel-y set up then, trading story telling for food and shelter except with more dice. At any rate, congrats on a great start, i've never played Dungeons and Dragons (although i'm considering trying it after playing Risk until 5am a fortnight ago) but it was nice to get an insight into how it functions internationally. Can't wait for the column next week (or whenever they're put out).

A very good read and I am looking forward to the next installment.

Wow this sounds really interesting. I'll be sure to read it when I get back from guitar. It makes me wanna do something like this.

Wish I had heard of this earlier. I would have invited you to WARPCON, Europe's largest student-run convention.

Owlslayer:
This was an interesting article. The thing is , i live in a post-soviet country, too. And my first experience with D&D was also in a flat like the one in the article, i remember it had only a kitchen and a living room. So we sat around the table and started playing. And dammit, it was so fun. 6 hours later, we noticed we were really hungry. No-one though the game would make time fly by so fast, and no-one even though about buying snacks. So we had to improvise and cleaned our host's refrigerator out. But the next time everyone brought some money and we bought some chips and other stuff. And then we REALLY started to play.

if you ask someone what their first experience is with D&D, it will either be that, or "I punched a Lich as a cleric"

both, sadly, is how I remember my first time.

OT: hmmm, all I have to offer is board for three nights and a days worth of entertainment for a DM? that's......not a bad deal, considering there is only 5 of us that still play pen and paper RPG's in my town.

delroland:
I am curious, though: did you set your adventure in Eberron?

Yes, though I've run it for many people who don't know the setting. For what it's worth, it's not in Sharn and doesn't involve the Emerald Claw, airships, or crashing airships.

The Bucket:
Can't wait for the column next week (or whenever they're put out).

Every two weeks is the plan.

Nimbus:
Wish I had heard of this earlier. I would have invited you to WARPCON, Europe's largest student-run convention.

It's an ongoing thing, Nimbus, so keep me in mind if WARPCON happens again.

Nimbus:

Maybe so, but Leprecon is older. Also... isn't Warpcon in February? My impression (from the start of the article) was that he was still travelling.

Speaking of Warpcon, I'll not be there this year. Will you be coming to Leprecon?

... Sorry, Keith, I'll stop hijacking your thread now.

Two comments:

1) OMG Keith Baker is posting on the escapist. This is awesome!

2) Wow, what you're doing is really cool. I'll definitely be reading this column.

wow makes me wish I had a community that was closer then an hours drive. I really would like to offer this guy a stay.

Amazing article by the way, I am amazed by his commitment as a Dungeon Master.

I really wanna get into games like this but:

1. I have no experience with it. Hell, I even have trouble with cRPG's
2. I don't know anyone or anywhere that does this. There used to be a place but they changed management and now all they sell is sports stuff.

Interesting article; I would love to read more of these.

Holy crap. It is cool to know that somebody else does this. I fed myself for like 3 years almost entirely from "DM"ing. 5th ward always had the best table snackies. I became pro at sleeping under table.

Oh dears, who would travel HERE? Most people want to get out of here as fast as possible :P

That was actually quite awesome.

Please say there will be another one of these?

This is an awesome article and a wonderful idea, it's really interesting to hear about how others play their games given cultural and national differences.
Also a round of applause for the heroine of the story Melina, what an attitude she has to her sons playing games.

If everyone shared their way of thinking games would be even better.

Amalith:
Two comments:

1) OMG Keith Baker is posting on the escapist. This is awesome!

2) Wow, what you're doing is really cool. I'll definitely be reading this column.

Seconded. Keep the articles coming! :)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or