How would your mom feel about Dead Space 2?
Are you kidding? We'd play it together!
2.3% (26)
2.3% (26)
She might enjoy it, actually.
3.6% (40)
3.6% (40)
She wouldn't care either way.
36.5% (405)
36.5% (405)
She wouldn't like it much.
23.7% (263)
23.7% (263)
She would hate it!
29.5% (328)
29.5% (328)
Other (please specify).
3.4% (38)
3.4% (38)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Question of the Day, January 17, 2011

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Question of the Day, January 17, 2011

An EA marketing campaign for Dead Space 2 revolves around the assumption that your mom would not enjoy the game. How would yours feel about it?

My mum actually loves horror games. Silent Hill 2 being her favourite and she quite liked the first Dead Space.... so yeah, EA you fail at getting my mother to hate this

My mom is already anti-games, and she hates scary stuff, AND she hates blood and gore...

Yeah, she'd hate it.

My mum has never even realized that games have evolved since Pacman. She doesn't care either way.

other. I've never played Dead Space 2 let alone 1, so my mom wouldn't even know what it is if asked for an opinion ;)

I have to wonder what some of the people in these marketing departments have been thinking lately. Sure some of these marketing plans have been good for grabbing people's attention, but they haven't been so good for ensuring that they have jobs in the future, if you catch my drift.

canadamus_prime:
I have to wonder what some of the people in these marketing departments have been thinking lately. Sure some of these marketing plans have been good for grabbing people's attention, but they haven't been so good for ensuring that they have jobs in the future, if you catch my drift.

Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing. What the hell kind of marketing strategy is announcing that people won't like your game? Are there really that many teenage rebels with fake ID and plenty of disposable income that "well, your mum might be pissed if she knew you'd played it" has become a viable marketing strategy?!

I think not.

My mother doesn't know about nor cares about ANY new video games. Last video games she knew about were the ones I brought home when I lived with her.

She wouldn't hate it but wouldn't want to play it, she might watch me play if she has nothing to do though.

She wouldn't really care because she doesn't really give a shit about me or anything in my life, she only cares about her self... /depression

She would burn it thinking the devil was physically trapped inside it.

When it comes to games, my mother is a female Jack Thompson, and I seriously wish I was exaggerating when I typed that. I've seen her treat coworkers as sub-human simply for admitting to playing the occasional game or two. The only reason why she puts up with it at all is because I've always payed for my own games/systems that weren't gifts from other people.

Having said that, I think the Wii is slowly convincing her that games aren't turning people into a sociopathic serial killers who can't differentiate between fantasy and reality.

My mother hates graphic violence and blood. She loves shows like Dexter and CSI though.

That being said Dead Space is my brothers kind of game to play, I prefer being a horror spectator. (We need more games like The Condemned!)

Scrythe:
When it comes to games, my mother is a female Jack Thompson, and I seriously wish I was exaggerating when I typed that. I've seen her treat coworkers as sub-human simply for admitting to playing the occasional game or two. The only reason why she puts up with it at all is because I've always payed for my own games/systems that weren't gifts from other people.

Having said that, I think the Wii is slowly convincing her that games aren't turning people into a sociopathic serial killers who can't differentiate between fantasy and reality.

That'll change when they release the Wii "Rape-Garotte"(TM) peripheral in the summer.

SonicWaffle:

canadamus_prime:

Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing. What the hell kind of marketing strategy is announcing that people won't like your game? Are there really that many teenage rebels with fake ID and plenty of disposable income that "well, your mum might be pissed if she knew you'd played it" has become a viable marketing strategy?!

I think not.

I'll believe it when Linkin Park are dead and no one notices.

She wouldn't like it...my mom is not so keen on gory video games

She wouldn't like it, but neither would I. So... does that count as a success or failure for the marketing campaign?

I suspect she would make some derogatory comment if she saw me playing it, but she doesn't care what i play really

My mom wouldn't care really. Also I was hoping there would be a "Medium Disapprove of Dead Space 2" button.

She wouldn't care at first.

Then ask why I am killing babies(not anymore they are not).

Then say that my games are turning me into a heartless bastard and I have a devil inside of me and I need to be prayed for and accept God into my life.(Her exact words).

I picked Other.

My mom hates anything more violent than Touched by an Angel

After watching the behind-the-scenes clip i say this so called "experiment" is bullshit. To sit a somewhat old lady in front of three 42"+ screens with dolby surround in a darkened room can hardly be called a fair test enviorment. This is just cheap PR and won't help in the ever present debate about violence in video games.

She'd hate it, she hates anything gory and not set in the 1800s. She'd probably tut and roll her eyes if I played it.
I don't live with her any more though, so she has nothing to worry about.

My mom is perfectly fine with violent videogames, like shooters. But when it comes to monsters, decapitations, babies, disturbing deaths, creepy atmosphere, gibs, gross sound effects, YEAH SHE WOULD HATE THAT.

My mother leaves the room in fear and horror from DOCTOR WHO. She can't watch anything 15+ so yeah, Dead Space 2 would be her best friend.

I was raised mostly by my grandparents, and they were the ones that got me my first computer for Christmas '85, and my first game console, a NES a few years later.

A few years ago after my grandmother started to get ill I decided to have her move in with me, none of her children were all that interested in looking after her, nor my siblings or cousins, and I was enraged at the idea of her being left alone in a retirement community, so I packed up all my junk and moved us to a better area for her (much warmer) and it did wonders, it's like she's 20 years younger, of course I get some flack from people that I live with my grandmother, but screw them, she looked after me, I'll be damned to hell if I don't look after her.

Anyway back on-topic, growing up she and my grandfather played a few games with me, but she can't get her head around the latest games, but that doesn't mean she doesn't enjoy them. We often spend a quiet winter night in the lounge room, me with the latest game on the 360, and her with her knitting offering choice bits of commentary. She loved the GTA games for example, would always be joking around, and on one memorable occasion while I was playing Prototype she told me to drive a tank down the sidewalk, making comments about how Melbourne streets would be much easier to get around if you could that in real life.

So I think she'd like it.

She would hate it, but then she hates most things with that level of over the top violence. She doesn't mind me playing stuff like Mass Effect, Tomb Raider. They still feature violence, but it's the needlessness of the violence in some stuff which she just thinks is juvenile and childish.

Then again, I also hate Dead Space, so there's no fear of it ever being a part of our house.

seing that my mom is a "controlled" paranoid schizofrenic (or however you spell that) and that she believed in some time of her life that aliens/ghosts/the men in black (or some version of them) were trying to hurt her, i would never ever ever play a game like "Dead Space 2" in front of her, the danger of giving her more ideas to think about is too great, its not that she would hate it, she would probably get scared and stop looking, just to tell me "turn that off, iŽll get nightmares" (which is how she calls her delutions) but i wouldnt be too surprised if some details of the game came out in her next batch of delutions.

Definiely not to my mum's taste. Then again I'd be very suprised to find a mum who would enjoy watching, let alone playing this game.

My mum really wouldn't care, she has no interest in specifically what games I play, just how much time I spend playing them. Which is fine at the moment since I can't really play games due to boredom.

Being 31, away from home, and with enough disposable income to purchase my own games, my mother does not care what games I purchase.

This advertising campaign once again proves my suspicion that the EA marketing department is run by 4 year olds. Advertising that the Talian was in Medal of Honor, then acting shocked that people did not like it is one of the other clues.

This is a cheap marketing ploy because a segment of gamers only play games like this because it makes them feel like they are rebelling, even though they are not.

A game should be sold on its own merits and not based on who or who would not like it. A more honest and effective ad campaign should be, "If you like System Shock 2, you'll love this game.

My mum isn't really into horror games...

*sassy* I don't care what my moooms think, I PLAY it cuz WANT it!

SonicWaffle:

canadamus_prime:

I think not.

1967 called, It wants it's alienated youth culture back.

My mom wouldn't be a fan.

She wouldn't even look at it. The only time she's picked up a controller was to get it out of the way before vacuuming.

She wouldn't like it, but she would be interested and may watch me play and won't hesitate to point out anything she thinks might be helpful/ interesting/ tell me how much I'm sucking at the game, etc...

"lets make [Insert gruop of people here] to hate our game" that dosnt sound like a great business strategy to me.

OT:
My mum would see it for what it is, a game. Its on the "other side" of the screen, what happens there has no effect on the real world so she dosnt kick off about these sorts of games.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here