289: What Happens in New Vegas

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

What Happens in New Vegas

Russ Pitts is on a "bug hunt" in Fallout: New Vegas.

Read Full Article

Strange, i only experienced 1 crash doing exactly the same thing as what stood in the article. Though i had it for the PC so that could be what made a difference.

I can totally agree that there were far to many quest related bugs that turn other factions hostile, but good lord man, what you went through sounds like agony. Although I will admit I am on my tenth character because of my trial and error way of playing. Still a really good game, no question about that.

I also had if for PC and didnt have many problems

Russ Pitts:
What Happens in New Vegas

Russ Pitts is on a "bug hunt" in Fallout: New Vegas.

Read Full Article

There's a big patch release for the PS3 version. Which version did you play, and with or without the bug fixes?

It's possible you were being attacked because you had the audacity to put on Power Armor... If you wear the brotherhood power armor NCR will shoot on sight. No matter how much they might like you, and no matter if they have an alliance w/ the Brotherhood or not.

Reading this makes me think Russ never played a 90s era PC CD-ROM game. That's not exactly the standard a locked-down console title should be compared too, which is of course the fuel for the article. But, still, I can't think of a console game, even back to the PS1, that didn't have some freeze issue or crash or even just lock up. Not one. Let's not even get started on PC releases since THE BEGINNING OF MAGNETIC MEDIA.

I'm not saying Russ is wrong or that F3:NV didn't deserve some ribbing for meeting content expectations so well while still dropping the ball on completeness in the "smooth ride" area. I'm saying that, compared to Arkham Asylum (which flat melted one of my PS3s), or GTAIV, or RDR, or even Fallout 3 itself, F3:NV only seemed marginally buggier than the _current_ norm. Given the size of the studio, which everyone acknowledges, couldn't they get a lot more slack considering the quality that does exist and the fact that they have come through and delivered in a way that many companies never did or ever will? They weren't guilty, to my knowledge, of the kind of hubris that regularly spurts from, say, Valve or Epic or the like.

For that, crashes and all, I give 'em a big pass. I hope they get to do another Fallout. I'm pretty much positive it will still kick ass on the substantials. I'm also sure that many will find a way to locally calibrate and discover a metric that proves it's shit.

C'est la vie, ceci est guerre, telle est amour, rien est juste.

I'm sorry but I don't seem to be getting any bugs at all, my crashes will only happen when my ps3 overheats because they will happen on any game.

Sounds about what my experience with New Vegas was, pretty bloody pissed off I paid full price for it the day it came out. If I knew it was going to be a bug ridden piece of shit I'd of waited a few months.

Hmmm as buggy as it was for me (crashes a plenty, clipping issues [which I've discovered you're able to get yourself stuck in the terrain by using mle and vats on such enemies], and a couple corrupted saves [or buggy quests I'm not sure which exactly] causing consistent crashes in some spots), my experience on the PC wasn't nearly as bad as all this... and now with the patch out I haven't run into any bugs that I can be sure aren't being caused by mods (crashes, no clipping issues or consistent crashes).

All said the fact that such a buggy game can garner such positive reviews thanks to it's writing says quite a lot and I for one hope other developers take notice and give us more games with strong plots and dialog, and hopefully less bugs.

well not realy surprising seeing the engine they use is at least 5 years old

I completed it twice (once normal and once hardcore mode) in 60 hours according to steam. I have no idea how even with crashes it would take 100 hours to complete once. Admittedly I played it quite late on so I probably already had patches downloaded.

I loved this game and as soon as I have some usable amount of free time again I'm going to play through again.

There was annoyingly one bug that broke the main quest for me, which wasn't really a bug but a freak accident that was really annoying. I went to kill the Brotherhood of steel for Caesar, no mean feat for a level 19 character on hardcore mode, and after a lot of attempts to so much as enter the base I managed to get in. I was promptly torn to pieces by their turrets. As I really couldn't be arsed to go away and level up (the only solution) I used a console command to hack their turrets (yeah yeah, I'm a cheating bastard I know). I then went in and even though the turrets did a lot of the work I still had a whole other level below to wipe out which I managed. It then told me I had to blow up the base and in order to do that I needed key cards from 3 people in the base, I already had picked up two but I couldn't find the guy who had the 3rd anywhere. Eventually I found him. It turned out when I killed him his body had slipped through a small gap in the floor and was lying under the floor, out of reach. As I sure as hell wasn't going through the entire ordeal again I turned off clipping and went and got it. PC games FTW.

xchurchx:
well not realy surprising seeing the engine they use is at least 5 years old

Wouldn't that make it easier to debug then as they know more about it?

I find it funny that everyone complains about New Vegas. I wonder how many people can think back to previous Fallout games and remember how buggy they where. Fallout wasn't exactly the most stable PC game released. Fallout 2 had a patch that destroyed your save games; If you never got the patch you couldn't complete the game. Fallout Tactics was probably the least buggy of the systems, but it wasn't exactly perfectly stable. Fallout 3 wasn't bug free, but it was the most stable of the series.

Was playing on PS3, and the only real bug I've encountered was very early into the game I found I couldn't sell any of my inventory. I could buy with no problem, but if I tried to sell, game would freeze. Tried running to several different tradesmen with same issue. So I sat on the game till the big patch came out and then everything worked fine.

Other than that, the only other issue I've had is the game froze on me once while changing map squares. Luckily I had saved just recently beforehand.

Yet as seemingly bug-free as this game has been for me compared to Fallout 3, it's still not impressing me as much.

I played it on xBox 360, and it crashed only three times. However, I did have my fair share of enemies under the ground and there were some quest problems, too, which prevented me from completing a quest.

Russ Pitts:
I pull a few tricks for House, just to earn some caps and move the story along and then, out of the blue, I'm told the NCR won't deal with me anymore. Seems they have a beef with House. The fact I've been running all over the damn wasteland like a butt boy for the NCR doesn't seem to matter. The fact that I've completed more missions for idiots in the NCR incapable of moving a box of stuff from one part of town to another on their own doesn't get me anywhere on their "Like-o-meter." I'm either House's or theirs, they say and without being given a choice, I've made my choice. Game over. Shit.

However, that sounds rather strange. At a certain point, both NCR and the Legion will send you a message which tells you that they will cut all ties with you if you help others. Don't say you weren't warned, unless there was a bug of some sort.

Edit: As it seems there are some Fallout people here, does anyone know if the Steam version of Fallout (the original one) works on windows 7? I haven't gotten my own version to work since I started using windows 7.

Fallout New Vegas is extremely glitchy, yet loads of fun? How has nobody noticed this before?

Why the heck did you side with NCR? Bunch of self righteous incompetent hypocrites. And don't call my grandma a crossdresser :'(

Good article. It crashed on me twice within the first 2 hours, but I stuck with it and had fun.

And fuck the NCR and the Legion, son! It's all about that Wild Card quest!

Fucking hate how lazily this game was built, all the glitches and the piss poor graphics are completely uncalled for...*goes back to playing New Vegas* damnit, I shouldn't be having this much fun.

I think my total playtime was 96 hours and I completed every quest and got every ending. Maybe all your crashes made it take longer?
I only experienced a couple bugs here and there.

I can't express how hugely ironic it is that the PC version is evidently more stable than its 360 counterpart.

It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I haven't encountered nearly this many crashes. Although that may be because I got the game around Christmas and they might have fixed many of the problems. That's not to say the game isn't still pretty buggy.

My copy has crashed about 2 times, but I've encountered a lot of strange clipping glitches, people not being there to end the quests, and sometimes even quests that stop working and won't let me finish at all. Also my gun sometimes decides it wants to be held over my head which is kind of strange. Oh, and my gun will sometimes decide to fire blanks....and I have to put it away and bring it out again.

All in all it is incredibly frustrating sometimes and does tick me off, so I understand where you're coming from.

P.S. I also must say I haven't really experienced any frame-rate issues like you mention. I don't know if they fixed it or what

I didn't start playing until after the first patch, but I've still experienced quite a few glitches(I'm up to choosing sides after discovering everywhere and doing all the side quests possible):
- Dead money DLC bunker is always displayed as locked and needing a key. (despite re-installing game, DLC and clearing the cache)
- 5 crashes (not too bad) and lag occasionally.
- creatures phasing into hills. Happened to me twice.
- 'I put a spell on you' impossible to finish since Hsu won't say the ending dialogue
- unable to get meat for cook at camp McCarren, since the dialogue options aren't available
- audio crashing
- Guard at aerotech going to deal with drug-dealing Keith, only to absent-mindingly change his mind and wander off, rendering quest uncompleteble.

...The only one that really bothers me is the Dead money one. Hopefully it will get fixed, however there were still a few glitches in the game of the year edition of Fallout 3...

Russ Pitts is the Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist. To date, he has been playing New Vegas for about 200 hours and has found enough bugs to be named an honorary QA tester.

The irony of that sentence being that, if Obsidian actually HAD Quality Assurance testers, you would'nt have to play a 60 hour game for 200 hours in the first place!

OT: I'm glad i skipped this game. I didn't care for Fallout 3 much, plus pre knowledge of obsidian's pedigree (it's smelly rotten pedigree) made me skip it.
No regrets. None.

I didn't play as many hours as Russ, but did do almost all the quests and side quests, finishing up on the wild card ending (didn't realize that actions I'd taken re the Brotherhood made peace between the NCR and Brotherhood impossible). Playing on the 360, I was reminded way too much of Knights of the Old Republic 2, one of Obsidian's other titles: it felt like the dev team had some awesome ideas but the overall task was just a little beyond their capacity. I wonder if a smaller, properly executed game would have worked better.

Cheers

Colin

Wow apparently the PC version is a lot better. Granted I haven't played through the whole game (side tracked and been busy with other stuff. I'm not much past the town where you first meet Ceasar's Legion, ~20 or 30 hours I guess) but I've experienced a grand total of: 1 crash.

Yes, there are a bunch of bugs in this game. Yes, I have had my game freeze multiple times. But for the love of pete, man, save and save often! If you save every 15 minutes or so, you wouldnt go through anywhere near the suffering you are experiencing! Plus, having all those saves helps so you can go back and do all the different story lines, and get all your achievements. ;)

One of the biggest rules with RPGs is to save, save, SAVE!

Poor guy, if he had been playing on pc he would almost never crash. I played the entire game with more than 100 hours and I think it crashed 1 or 2 times only.

What?? You only crashed 22 times??

Sometimes i even has as much as 3 crashes in 10 minutes,sometimes it would even crash before i could load up a save game, and for average i had more hard restarts than hours played..

Yeah, i feel you got off it easy my friend..

I played the PC version for 95 hours, with 2-3 crashes that happened when I saved and then went just faffing about, killing towns and cities and I always had 4 save slots and one quicksave slot just in case.

Even with the patch the game is still glitched up the ass, at least for the 360 version anyway. One of the most obvious bugs is in HELIOS ONE. When you exit out the back entrance after talking to Ignacio Rivas, you can: 1. Get stuck in an invisible barricade of empty oil drums 2. Have to fight of teleporting hostile dogs, scorpions and mole rats 3. Find an old lady sitting on an invisible chair. Every time I do this one of those variants happens. How could they not notice this massive bug?
Generally the glitches are minor, immersion destroying annoyances, but I've encountered a few and had about 3 game crashes, most often during loading screens, with the patch and with the game installed. I love New Vegas but there are still many, many bugs. The companion Boone sometimes decides he wants to use a machete against a Deathclaw or impale himself using his scoped rifle.

I dont get it, i have one had one major problem with vegas. Its never froze on me, never wiped my saves or anything. I just cant do EDEs quest.

From reading that, I'll speculate that 90% of the problems are either holdovers from Fallout 3 or the fact that you weren't playing the PC version.

vxicepickxv:
I find it funny that everyone complains about New Vegas. I wonder how many people can think back to previous Fallout games and remember how buggy they where. Fallout wasn't exactly the most stable PC game released. Fallout 2 had a patch that destroyed your save games; If you never got the patch you couldn't complete the game. Fallout Tactics was probably the least buggy of the systems, but it wasn't exactly perfectly stable. Fallout 3 wasn't bug free, but it was the most stable of the series.

The difference is that those games had an acceptable amount of bugs.
I expect a good amount of glitches (maybe even a game breaking; start again type) in any large open world game. Fallout 3 and San Andreas are a couple of my all time favorite games and they are a couple of the all time glitchiest. Mind you I didn't get all the DLC for Fallout 3 but they can't touch Fallout NV in pure brokenness. Only maybe Big Mother Truckers was worse but there were only so many things that could go wrong with that title.

I had most of the same problems Russ had on a completely different platform. I also had the Fly me to the Mood quest lock on me, slideshow framerates, and countless other problems like crashing to the XMB and disappearing companions.

I have never gotten a console game that was this buggy; and honestly, I can only think of one PC game that was just as bad. I too feel a little ripped off that they charged me full price for it. They should've given it to us for free as we technically did their beta testing for them.

OniaPL:
However, that sounds rather strange. At a certain point, both NCR and the Legion will send you a message which tells you that they will cut all ties with you if you help others. Don't say you weren't warned, unless there was a bug of some sort.

I vote bug. I was working with NCR some more when I was randomly told that I had failed the quest to go meet with Caesar, and that his Legion would now be hostile towards me. It was only when I was asked by NCR to

which also put me on the road towards finishing a quest for Yes-Man did I get a new quest called "Don't Tread on the Bear!" which basically said "If you work for Yes-Man any further, NCR will hate you."

So yeah. Assuming Caesar's Legion does have such a "quest" as well, I never got it or the warning. My reaction was "good riddance" though as I was planning on killing them all anyway.

I played the PC version, aside from the odd clipping issue, it worked fine, I also completed it in 60 hours.

Although technically, at 60 hours I got bored of all the stupid shit (Why do they make you blow up half the goddamn factions I like, Mr House (The only side I saw as a viable, non-dick-riddled option), BOS is BEST!).

I then cheated, killed house (Via a bug, lol!) and took it for myself. Pretty lame ending for 60+ hours of work even then.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here