289: What Happens in New Vegas

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Apart from the clipping issue and a crash there was nothing.

GonzoGamer:

AzrealMaximillion:

Mechsoap:
Strange, i only experienced 1 crash doing exactly the same thing as what stood in the article. Though i had it for the PC so that could be what made a difference.

PC actually got it worse. You must be luck then. Go buy a lottery ticket. The PC version was the one with the most reported crashes.

But the PC version also has the modders who have actually been able to patch it and make the game more playable than any other platform. Those guys should get paid.
At least pay them the money that would go to the beta testers for the PC version who were obviously never hired.

Even with the modders there were reports of the game essentially being unplayable at points. Must have been fixed. That or some of those who got it for PC didn't patch/mod their game.

AzrealMaximillion:

GonzoGamer:

AzrealMaximillion:
PC actually got it worse. You must be luck then. Go buy a lottery ticket. The PC version was the one with the most reported crashes.

But the PC version also has the modders who have actually been able to patch it and make the game more playable than any other platform. Those guys should get paid.
At least pay them the money that would go to the beta testers for the PC version who were obviously never hired.

Even with the modders there were reports of the game essentially being unplayable at points. Must have been fixed. That or some of those who got it for PC didn't patch/mod their game.

Yea. I'm pretty sure that anyone who just used the official patches on the pc version had just as many problems. The first official patch just took care of a few XP exploits and none of the more annoying problems.

You don't need a bug to kill Mr. House, you can do that at any time. I bought the game day one, and it has crashed a total of 6 times which is 17 less times less times than my copy of Fallout 3. All of this on the 360, so is each disc different than the others?

I got to about level 22ish before seeing any bugs at all, this was on the PC BEFORE the big ass update, so Im not entirely sure what people were complaining about. It started bugging out a bit after that and on another playthrough, but after I got the patch it was fine.

Awww, Buggout!
I though it was fantastic, picked it up for the PC a bit later, and it crashed once and had a few amusing bugs but nothing game-breaking.

But just the fact that a hundred people will tell you a hundred different accounts of what NPC refused to show up at the end of what quest tells you how messy the game is.

Hah! I laugh at this as I know plenty of people who've played hundreds of hours to encounter no bugs at all, maybe one, but who hasn't encountered one bug in all their hours of play in any polished game?

Getting bug fix patches, both official and unofficial helps a lot, then there's just a general fun factor added by custom mods.

AzrealMaximillion:

GonzoGamer:

AzrealMaximillion:

And my lucky ten dollars go one the bet that the reports that it was unplayable came from people who did not bother to mod and patch it.

If you give 20 dollars to 20 people out of a hundred, you're still gonna get reports from the other 80 people that they didn't get any money.

OniaPL:

Edit: As it seems there are some Fallout people here, does anyone know if the Steam version of Fallout (the original one) works on windows 7? I haven't gotten my own version to work since I started using windows 7.

I have it for 7, it works just fine, perhaps you are going to have to "re-install" the game??

I have to echo Russ' problems re: game crashes.

Just to be sure I wasn't going gonzo, I went so far as to partially disassemble my fat PS3 (obviously beyond warranty, so no harm in breaking that seal) and thoroughly dusting the crap out of it. The fan wasn't running on overdrive or anything, but I thought I'd try it anyhow.

Even completely dust free, the game crashes every 30-60 minutes. Sometimes, I can catch it before it happens, because the game will slow to molasses speed - but usually it hard locks, and I have to manually power cycle the whole console.

I'd like to say that I'm surprised, but I'm not, as I had the same issues with Fallout 3, especially after I downloaded the DLCs. I think that the bigger the save files get, the more the game is prone to crash. Even if it's platform-specific, one would think they'd resolved this problem since Fallout 3's release in 2008.

Ironically, the frequent auto-saves are my only saving grace. Otherwise, I would have shelved this game a month ago.

On an aside - XBL-exclusive DLC for F:NV? Thanks for the PS3 (and PC) fan service, Bethesda. By the time you actually do release it for other consoles, I may not even be interested. Looks like I'll be trying Bulletstorm instead of Brink.

In all my time owning New Vegas it hasn't crashed unless I've been playing it for 6+ Hours straight.

Which, unfortunately, isn't common.

During my first playthrough (pre-patch) the only problems I had were seeing some radscorpions stuck in the ground and 1 crash.

My current playthrough (post-patch) has been much worse. Regular crashing, sound/framerate issues and the DLC ED-E bug causing a lot of cursing.

It's funny. Playing on PC, I had the game beaten before he had even finished helping Jason. Probably because of my three children. Ctrl+Alt+Del, F5, and F9 ;D

Having played through the PS3 version with the latest patch I can confirm that the game "only" crashed the system twice, and that I've encountered not one single other issue.

I have just now read this thread and I'm kind of not sure now. I wanted to buy this for my bro on the PS3, who loved Fallout 3 to death; but is it really THAT buggy for everyone? If it is, it's just unplayable!

EDIT: just read the post above me, never mind...

Maybe I'm just lucky with them, but video games almost never crash on me, even notoriously buggy ones like New Vegas. Throughout the entire game, I believe the only issue I had was being pinned to a wall due to a door opening up outwards towards me, and even then it was fixed by closing the door.

how the hell can you play for 15 hours and still be in goodsprings?

strange i never realised the x-box version was so buggy. i didnt experience anywhere near that with a pc. i guess from the days of the ps2, etc i always expect the console versions to be pretty stable

I think my favorite moment wasnt so much the game locking up on the loading screen (happened about five times to me) but receiving a message informing me that my auto save file was somehow corrupted. Yay. For the most part I got lucky with the bugs working in my favor. (Xbox ver also)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here