289: My Nintendo Shame

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

My Nintendo Shame

Once upon a time, Briana Lawrence was proud to say she was a Nintendo fan, but her devotion has become a habit she wishes she could break.

Read Full Article

There are still some good Nintendo games, you just have to wade past the crap. I think currently a lot of the games are held back by the limitations of the console itself, which while may have been an advantage a few years ago to keep the price down but now it's main competitors are also cheap begins to look a bit 2nd rate. Also I agree Nintendo probably does need a couple of new franchises to keep things fresh.

Meh. This isn't a bad article, but it would have been far more relevant two years ago. Now it doesn't say anything new, plus Nintendo had some truly great 'hardcore' games this year, even though they weren't too innovative.

Personally I'm quite satisfied with what they are doing. I don't care how good their casual games (or their competitor's casual games) are, as long as they release some truly great games once in a while. And no, 2010 wasn't Nintendo's most innovative year. But in the past few years they have come up with the ds, the Wii, some absolutely great and revolutionary games for both systems, and within a few months they'll come up with the 3ds and Kid Icarus, which is basically a new franchise.

I'm not saying that Nintendo is flawless or anything, but I don't think there's a reason to be ashamed when you're still cheering for a new Nintendogame.

That article was annoying to read because you reminded me of those "fans"

Nintendo isn't to blame.

The killing blow is dropping names of what was once another huge nintendo exclusive: Castlevania. Sure, some of the arguably best titles were on other systems, but I will always think of Castlevania as a Nintendo series.

Aura Guardian:

Nintendo isn't to blame.

That's exactly the point.

You're not the only one. I kind of regret getting the Wii then the Xbox 360 (I can't afford to buy another console). I do find it annoying I have wait ages for a good non casual game to come out while the others console get it more frequent. I pretty much these days I buy and play more games on the DS then on the Wii.

ah yes I had a wii and I loved metroid prime 3, that was untill I played bioshock, my first "hardcore" game, it was like the greatest thing I had experienced ever and I wanted more

I havent looked back since

The Wii has become like a wine cabinet: It uncommonly has great contributions with delightful vintage flavor, but you have to sift through a lot of boxed Walmart varieties to find them. And, for well-read gamers, it's hard to live off a diet of just good booze.

The timeless paean of an aging interest for youthful pursuits. I emit the same tones when I try to explain or transmit my love for Thom Baker's Dr. Who, or why Wesley Crusher _never_ bothered me on TNG, or why Infocom style text adventuring should have become a Pulitzer category. The intangibles and specifics just overwhelm the brain's ability to translate experience into signal.

I want more games like Bruce Lee and M.U.L.E.. They don't even make Commodore64s anymore, either. Think about where that puts me, young miss. ;)

I realized the same thing when I had my Wii. The clinging to a memory thing.
I had all the Game Boys, I have the DS, I have the Gamecube, and I've stayed behind Nintendo for most of my life.
Then I walked into the local Gamestop, and looked at the Wii shelf. I don't remember exactly what was there, but it can be summed up with this: Shovelware shit. All the worthwhile titles, I had already purchased. Nothing new on the horizon.
That depressed me.

So I sold the Wii, and all my games, missing only SMG and Brawl. Then I bought a PS3.
I have never regretted that decision.

It seems that the real problem with the Wii is that it was the first platform with motion controls. It seems that developers didn't know how to use them, or didn't want to take full advantage of the technology. As a result, the platform drowned in shovelware. Only Nintendo themselves have made most of the good games, and publishers are afraid of the Wii (Super Meat Boy).

There's no reason why the Wii can't have perfectly good games, or even more of the types of games we're starting to see for move/kinect.

Man, I read this article and I couldn't stop thinking "that's exactly what's going on with me." I own a Wii. I've owned it since week 2. What Wii games do I have? Trauma Center, Twilight Princess, Super Smash Brawl. I think that's it. One of my friends offered to buy it from me since I haven't played it in years. I really want to, but then something inside me yells NO!!! What if something incredible comes out next month?? Also, you won't be able to play those Gamecube games you love so much!!

Truth is, there are some good titles on the Wii. I've meant to buy Metroid Prime 3 since i loved the first two, Donkey Kong Country Returns had some great reviews, and both Super Mario Galaxy's are some of the most creative platformers that came out in recent years. Problem is, for every one of these releases, something awesome came out on the Xbox 360. Something new.

Given the choice between two equally good games, one that is a great reiteration of a franchise and one that is an awesome piece of something never before seen... I'm going to pick novelty.

Needless to say that wasn't the Wii title.

This is a rather interesting read. The Wii isn't a horrible system, but it almost seems like it's going the way of Sega. Sega released some good hardware, but nobody paid attention to it. I'm not sure what Nintendo can do to fix it, but I'm sure they'll either think of something, or end up like Sega.

The truth of this article makes me sad...

I still own my Wii though, I'm not about to trade it in since I love the actual good titles for this system, but there are many times I do wish I could play God of War and Halo. I feel almost ashamed to call myself a player of video games...

For the record, I had no problems with twilight princess or even Other M like most people. We just... don't get enough good games...

The truth is this article is wayyyy too late. Seriously? The big boom where it was cool to say Nintendo has abandoned its core is coming up on two years old now. Reading this article is a blast from the past. I feel like I'm reading The Escapist Archive.

But I guess The Escapist has some pretty cutting-edge writing staff.

as a former nintendo fan i can relate to this article alot, nintendo decided they could make more money by making crappy games that 8 year olds and parents and most crazy japanese people who love anything cute, would eat up, in truth they have made more money but have also lost a major fanbase as they have forgot how to make a 'gamers' game, the wii turned nintendo from a company with great ideas to a company that just wants more money that they dont need, and they only cling to whats left of a fanbase purely by nostalgia. they've had some good games, zelda, mario galaxy, metroid prime, kirby, DK country. yet the good games only prove my point about nostalgia. nintendo's creativity and originality is gone.

(also the wii made me turn to pc gaming, im now a valve fan)

When I see things like

As if the goofy games weren't shameful enough, now I had to be lumped into the casual "girl gamer" category because of Nintendo's sudden campaign to skip Mario and Zelda in favor of some balance boards and yoga mats.

the only thing I have to say is "get over yourself". Who are these mythical people sorting you into the "girl gamer" category and why do you give two squirts about their opinion?

The balance board is being used in physical therapy and has helped a woman make an early diagnosis of Parkinson's. It is a REAL TOOL that just happens to be wrapped in cutsy graphics. Unfortunately game designers haven't put out any really "hardcore" balance board games. But if you look at Raving Rabids TV Party you will see the potential of the balance board for all kinds of control schemes.

And so what if Nintendo doesn't have tons of games? The couple of dozen "core" games it does have are of the highest quality. Metroid Corruption (or trilogy), Mario Kart, Smash Bros, RE4, Twilight Princess, Demon Blade, Punch Out, Raving Rabids, de Blob, World of Goo, Dead Space Extraction, etc etc etc. And though you complain about gamecube ports the motion controls totally change the nature of the games. I hated the Resident Evil series until 4 for Wii let me aim with the Wiimote. If you are a kid I can see a legitimate complaint that the Wii doesn't have enough games to be your only console while you occupy the time until adulthood. If you are an adult and have enough to go through more than a new game every 2 months or so then maybe you should look at your life and re-consider your priorities.

As long as Mario is around I always flock back to the company which almost seems to give Nintendo a free pass to produce lame games.

Other than Wii Music which Nintendo first party game is lame? Nintendo first party produces the highest quality product even if it sometimes isn't that well received (Mario Sunshine). And even Wii Music was a good concept just didn't have enough content to carry it as a full title.

Lack of online multiplayer also isn't a legitimate complaint. Nintentendo focused their strategy on people who like to get together in meatspace, playing in the same room. Whining that Wii lacks online multiplayer is like complaining it is hard to move lumber in a Prius, it isn't designed with that use in mind.

And as for DLC Virtual Console was available nearly from the start and WiiWare appeared about 3 years ago. Yes admittedly XBLA is the most developed download game offering and honestly that and Kinect are seriously tempting me to buy an Xbox.

In summary I'm not exactly sure what you are complaining about. Nintendo now is no different than they were years ago when they singlehandedly SAVED the industry from Atari's downfall.

This article does not make me a happy bunny. Its nothing but pathetic band-wagoning. I'm not gonna defend the wii, cos It does have shit 3rd party suport and terrible hardware. But I'll suport my little wii, because it doesn't suport all the gray and brown Gears of Whatever and injects a little bit of fun back into mainstream gaming.

This article reminds me of an epiphany I had come to about a year ago. I realized that the only good games that were coming out were from Nintendo's main franchises, and I resolved to stop buying into the madness. I have Almost every Nintendo system since SNES, and I don't need to play the same adventure with updated graphics every few years. That is the one point of the article that I disagree on. There is nothing wrong with being a fan of a game, but one has to consider if its worth buying a game that is an almost carbon copy to its predecesor for the 3rd or 4th time. (an exception is when the game takes a VERY radical step in a different dirrection, such as LoZ: MM) Younger kids will be able to enjoy these newer games, having not experienced the older versions, but those of us who have, we need to ask ourselves if we honestly need to buy the game again.

To bring a quick other point, the Wii's problem is the lack of good 3rd party support and original stories... but they should probably work out those kinks in the motion controls first.

I tend to think that the main problem with the Wii is marketing. Nintendo is trying to market to too many quite divergent market bases all at once and can't seem to pick a niche to stick with. They're trying to appeal to "hardcore" and "casual" gamers, as well as trying to make the Wii even into a handy tool for those who won't even use it to play actual games. Not to mention the very different tastes of the Japanese market vs. the Western market, and it is my belief that Nintendo is actually focusing on trying to beat Sony in Japan (it IS a Japanese company after all), and has all but given up the Western "hardcore" market to the 360. (NOTE: The 360 has failed on a Dreamcast-like scale in Japan, leaving Nintendo and Sony to duke it out basically by themselves for market share.) Being here in Japan, I tend to notice something about Nintendo's games this generation that perhaps others may not; they are also appealing much more to a Japanese-style aesthetic in general. Japanese gamers are eating up the brightly-colored, "cute" and anime-style games like hotcakes, which accounts for a larger portion of the Wii library here than those of the PS3 or 360, which tend to offer a lot of dark, gritty, grey-and-brown styles. The Wii also tends to offer more of Japanese gamers' preferred genres in JRPGs, puzzle games, and at least here in Japan, visual novels. The 360's primary focus on FPS and Western RPGs from launch hurt it big time here in Japan, and it has yet to recover, even after scoring some big Square Enix JRPG titles (and watching them flop hard, even here... you're not going to sell consoles if your games play like crap, even if they're S-E, Microsoft). And let's not forget the ever-dominating presence of Pokemon among kids here that has yet to subside. Japan is still riding the Pokemon frenzy hard, and Nintendo will go all out on that if it has to in order to bring in money. The point is, while the West may have "grown out" of Nintendo to a large degree, Japan still loves them, and Nintendo has moved hard to fill the market left by the absence of 360 sales here. I am seeing this also reflected in even the first-party software being released for the Wii and DS.

And focusing more on younger gamers in general, no matter where they live, will also have an effect on how we view them. As those who grew up with Mario, Zelda and Pokemon grow older, many of us have been looking for our games to "grow up" with us. Microsoft and Sony zoomed in on the adult market and offered a shit-ton of the "mature" experience many teen and adult gamers were looking for. Nintendo chose to focus more on being a "family" console... and cashed in, big time. Parents would prove to be a bit more uneasy about buying their kids either a console whose main titles included huge-muscled soldiers with machine guns as big as their biceps, or an overpriced behemoth featuring an enraged warrior god as its main attraction, instead turning to the lovable home of Mario for their kids. It also helped that for once, they could actually find something that they would be able to enjoy on it themselves. What do you think Nintendo is going to do, scrap all that because some "hardcore" fans want Mario to start kicking a little more koopa ass in his games? Hardly. They'll go where the cash is.

So I don't blame Nintendo for being a business about games and going all out for the markets that now have the highest demand for the same types of products they have offered in the past. If we "hardcore" gamers now prefer to game on the 360 or the PS3, so be it. Let's game on those. TBH, I have both a 360 and a Wii, and my 360 easily gets the lion's share of the play time. But that doesn't mean I'm going to feel betrayed or begrudge Nintendo for "turning its back" on me. Nintendo had no obligation to me to begin with. I will still play my favorite Nintendo series, like Mario, Zelda, and Kirby, because they are fun, and I will not be embarrassed about saying it to other gamers. So what if it's not "cool"? It's fun and it appeals to me, and that's all that should matter. Play the games that appeal to you, no matter what platform they're on.

I don't respect Nintendo for their games. I'm FAR too young to have Nintendo infused in my very essence like many gamers here do. I never owned (or for that matter have ever SEEN) an NES or SNES.

Here's what i DO respect Nintendo for. From the purely hardware/concept perspective Nintendo INVENTED Video Gaming.

D pad: invented by Nintendo
Analog stick: invented by Nintendo
The four buttons (A,B,X,Y) system: Nintendo

They deserve Credit and all the respect in the world.....just not for their software, imo.

coldfrog:
The killing blow is dropping names of what was once another huge nintendo exclusive: Castlevania. Sure, some of the arguably best titles were on other systems, but I will always think of Castlevania as a Nintendo series.

there have only been 2 good castlevania games for other consoles.... 3 if you liked the new one that just came out for the 360/ps3, I dont know why they stopped making 2d games for console systems but at least they keep putting them on the ds

And that is why I also have a PS3, 360, and PC. Sure, I'm enjoying Kirby's Epic Yarn while it lasts, but once I finish blowing through it, it's time for some LittleBigPlanet 2 (if the FedEX jerks ever get here to deliver it).

I know what you mean with the disappointment in rushing out to get it and then it's just like "I was in a frenzy to get this thing?!" I stayed on Amazon's Wii page for 8 hours on launch day hitting F5 waiting for that order button to appear, and when it finally did I was so happy. Then I got it, and played for a while, and it was just like... Damn. I had expected this revolutionary new way to play, and most of what I have is just disappointing waggling instead of pushing a button. Boo! My Wii is easily the most dusty console I have now. Every now and then something comes out that makes me dust it off, but if this was the only current gen console I had I would probably have to find a new hobby.

Aura Guardian:

Nintendo isn't to blame.

That was absolutely hilarious and true. It's okay Miyamoto, I enjoyed The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess right when they both came out.

Toriver:
*snip*

A standing ovation for you, sir. That was brilliant.

Aura Guardian:

Nintendo isn't to blame.

They made a console with inferior capabilities, almost nonexistant online play, and crappy third party support that leads to things like "Wii Carnival Games" instead of creative IP's

How the hell are they not to blame?

Is it 2008 again?

The article is charming and makes me imagine Matt Cassamania if he was: A. a girl, and B. not quote so much a lunatic raving troll-disguised-as-fanboy.

Still, this is the wrong year for it. When Nintendo publishes Galaxy 2, Metroid Other M, Donkey Kong Country Returns, and a new Kirby platformer in one year... yeah. They're not lacking anything.

However, the thing that one can't take seriously about this sort of stuff, is the idea that such Nintendo fans somehow are suffering in isolation; as if they don't all have Xbox 360s or PS3s as well. It comes out sounding as if they desperately want to buy a second copy of Modern Warfare 2 for their Wii to play online there on Tuesdays.

What is actually crippling about Nintendo's online infrastructure this generation is the lack of ability for title updates. Console games being frozen in launch form has come to seem a lot more painful this generation as we have seen how much post-release support can do. (Saying that the Wii merely forces developers to "finish" their games before releasing them doesn't entirely compensate. Plenty of Wii games, including some 1st party, have been released with serious glitches, design oversights, and just plain awful decisions in otherwise good games. Also, it totally prevented any older games from being updated to support Motion+... had that been possible, Motion+ likely would have been a far more crucial update to the console.)

The Xbox and Playstation platforms have the elite hardcore market wrapped up, and they always would have; had Nintendo released a "hardcore" platform like the Gamecube this generation, they would have just about failed.

In a sense, the real mistake with the Wii was perhaps an unavoidable one; even Nintendo didn't project this kind of runaway success, and so were very conservative about what they invested into the development and manufacturing of the base design, and into their online infrastructure. If they could have been more certain it'd go over so well, I'm willing to bet we would have seen a Wii with a bigger jump in hardware power, and more money put into a comprehensive online support network.

But Nintendo is purely a game company; they have nothing to fall back on if they bleed money. A single mistake - such as a Wii that they couldn't break even on - could have ruined them.

danpascooch:

Aura Guardian:

Nintendo isn't to blame.

They made a console with inferior capabilities, almost nonexistant online play, and crappy third party support that leads to things like "Wii Carnival Games" instead of creative IP's

See: the corner Nintendo was backed into. Sure, it's their fault; as much as it would be anyone's fault who was forced to pick a number of imperfect solutions in a bad situation.

And it remains pretty funny when people blame Nintendo for terrible 3rd party support, when it's been clear from the start that 3rd parties have just been way too conservative, dumb, and confused to figure out what they could do with the Wii. They wanted the Wii to go the hell away, so they could just focus on a known quantity with the HD systems.

danpascooch:

Aura Guardian:

Nintendo isn't to blame.

Nintendo doesn't care about that. They are a business. They focus on the crowd that wasn't so damn picky. And the result is...they are successful. Blame the fans. Plus...Nintendo focuses on local and most importantly...fun.

EDIT

squeakthedragon:

danpascooch:

Aura Guardian:

Nintendo isn't to blame.

See: the corner Nintendo was backed into. Sure, it's their fault; as much as it would be anyone's fault who was forced to pick a number of imperfect solutions in a bad situation.

And it remains pretty funny when people blame Nintendo for terrible 3rd party support, when it's been clear from the start that 3rd parties have just been way too conservative, dumb, and confused to figure out what they could do with the Wii. They wanted the Wii to go the hell away, so they could just focus on a known quantity with the HD systems.

This too

Good article.

Good read, I feel pretty much the same way about Nintendo now. It's really sad that they're using nostalgia to sell games.

GrizzlerBorno:
I don't respect Nintendo for their games. I'm FAR too young to have Nintendo infused in my very essence like many gamers here do. I never owned (or for that matter have ever SEEN) an NES or SNES.

Here's what i DO respect Nintendo for. From the purely hardware/concept perspective Nintendo INVENTED Video Gaming.

D pad: invented by Nintendo
Analog stick: invented by Nintendo
The four buttons (A,B,X,Y) system: Nintendo

They deserve Credit and all the respect in the world.....just not for their software, imo.

Dpad: Mattel's Intellivision
Analog Stick: Atari 5200
Handheld Gaming: Mattel again
Platformer: Space Panic is sometimes considered the first platformer, but Nintendo did make the first one that satisfies all modern definitions, so sure.
3rd person adventure: Three dimensional third person adventure game is so specific I am having trouble finding out who invented it. There were certainly other 3rd person games before, so it's not exactly a big deal.
Motion Gaming: I don't know who tried it first, but the eyetoy came before the wii, so it wasn't the wii

So really Nintendo has:

Platformer, and arguably was the first one to use 3d 3rd person perspective for an action game, but I wouldn't call that an "invention" and four buttons

I think you might be getting "invented" mixed up with "popularized" but even if you mean popularized, many of these are still wrong.

squeakthedragon:

danpascooch:

Aura Guardian:

Nintendo isn't to blame.

Considering other companies have avoided this supposed corner, it's still Nintendo's fault.

Also, it IS their fault for the 3rd party support, companies would LOVE to tap into the Wii's INSANELY huge market, it's like a gold mine, but the terrible support for 3rd party developers prevents them from cost effectively attempting to make original IP's, the problem is with the inferior capabilities the system offers, that's Nintendo's fault.

Aura Guardian:

danpascooch:

Aura Guardian:

Nintendo isn't to blame.

Nintendo doesn't care about that. They are a business. They focus on the crowd that wasn't so damn picky. And the result is...they are successful. Blame the fans. Plus...Nintendo focuses on local and most importantly...fun.

I know they don't care about "that" ("that" being online play, third party support, and creative IP's)

so explain to me, when you yourself just said they don't care, that they aren't to blame for these problems? There is no originality in the titles coming out for the Wii, and your interpretation of "fun" is subjective.

danpascooch:

Four buttons: four button system? That was PSOne, the early Nintendo consoles didn't have that system, they had two buttons, and the N64 still used two primary buttons.

I can be wrong but didn't the snes had 4 buttons a,b,y,x and as far as i remember that was WAY before the psone

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here