On Multiplayer

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

On Multiplayer

Yahtzee doesn't hate multiplayer, he just hates you.

Read Full Article

Well, that finally explains it.
Thanks, Yahtz. Hopefully the fanboys will leave you alone now.

I also hate competitive multiplayer. However I do enjoy co-op against in game enemies and bosses. Little Big Planet and Monster Hunter Tri are what I enjoy. Not something like COD or Halo.

Same stance as you, I just don't bother with competitive multiplayer. I don't need to prove anything to anyone in the virtual space.

It's the opposite. People who play competitive multiplayer are the real saddos, wasting >200 hours on the same repetitive gameplay.

Yahtzee Croshaw:
I think it was a random NPC from No One Lives Forever

+1 Coolness points for that quote.

I think I can tolerate most people - working in retail does that to you - but someone screaming "IS THIS ON? CAN YOU GUYS HEAR ME?" or mouthbreathers or "YOU **** **** **** **** ***** *** *** **** ***"....

Nah, that's when I go singleplayer.

That's why I like local multiplayer a lot better than online multiplayer. If I'm going to beat someone or lose to someone, I want to know who they are so I can either a) ridicule them for sucking at the game or b) ridicule them for caring so much about winning and that they really need to get a life.

I'm also a fan of co-op, but getting a game for the co-op play usually just reminds me that I live an hour away from any of my friends that enjoy competitive video games and how little I'm actually going to get to enjoy the co-op aspect of my new game.

I enjoy multiplayer if I'm playing with a group of friends against the medley of morons that we get matched up against, but as soon as I don't have any sane, rational people around me I log off.

thats why i enjoy Team Fortress, in a 0-20 player server, odds are you're going to have to play well and support the rest of your team to win, but in a 26-34 player server, you can just jump ship and do whatever, and its a bit like a singleplayer game with particularly intellegent AI scooting about.

Moeez:

It's the opposite. People who play competitive multiplayer are the real saddos, wasting >200 hours on the same repetitive gameplay.

If they enjoy something, let them do it. No one gives a shit whether you enjoy it or not.

Anyway, I enjoy multiplayer because I have NO competetive streak whatsoever. Most games you don't have to interact with people outside of combat anyway.

You just described my outlook on competitive multiplayer. I don't like losing or being taunted for a loss, but if I win, so what? Particularly in such a dense player-environment as WoW where it's more than likely your opponent will be a 5-year veteran packing the %1 Chance to Drop [Sword of Infinite Awesomeness] if they're so hot to challenge you.

I like cooperative multiplayer, whether in WoW or shooters or even RTS. Even if my teamie is weak, helping him to triumph over adversity or get better is oddly fulfilling for me (guess which JRPG badge I got). Also, thank you for introducing 'Saddo' to my repetoire of insults. It's great because it can mean 'Sadomasochist' or 'Sad' as in 'That's just sad'.

Sadpants McGee is still on top. At this point it is a race for number 2.

Nicely written, mirror image is pretty sweet.

Listen, not wanting to hang out on xbox live doesn't make you a saddo. Its a perfectly reasonable thing to do. Here is a cool story: I dont like multiplayer with people I dont know because the jerk to normal person ratio is way too high. I dont like playing competitive multiplayer against my friends because I want to stay friends. So that leaves me with coop multiplayer with friends. And I have had some of my best and most memorable gaming experiences playing coop with friends. I dont think this is actually that uncommon.

I think I've got half a competitive streak as well.

Great article this week.

that was actually pretty mature to admit. i mean, in a world where people constantly accuse yahtzee of being nothing more than a hater of multiplayer and also having his entire career based around giving those people reasons to hate him, it's nice to know what makes him the gamer that got him hired for this job. bravo.

but as far as multiplayer goes, i actually don't mind winning or losing. i've always been suck-tacular at competitive multiplayer and that stuck with me and still is stuck with me. so even though i've improved i find myself getting excited about the simplest of accomplishments while at the same time not getting too mad at losing a match. don't get me wrong i still rage-quit every once in a while, but i rage off mic and after the xbox is turned off.

but with that said, i always had a hard time playing games where you fight one on one like SF4 or MvC2. it reminds me too much of the days where friends would sucker me into playing Mortal Kombat and then subsequently kick my ass cause my mom was on the bandwagon of "it will turn you into a serial murderer who has sex with the bodies after you gutted them" when i have three faceless enemies infront of me, sure, i can lose no problem. but one on one dueling, i've always kind of shy'ed away from.

I play competitive MP games for the enjoyment, winning or losing matters not and for some reason, like Goku from DBZ, getting my ass beat makes me a better player. Sometimes tho, I play games I'm insanely good at (and I don't honestly know how I am) simply to listen to the one who really care about winning piss and moan how I was "cheating" or "hacking" or how some variant of the word "fag" is part of my genetic makeup. Its simply amusing to know that by pressing a few buttons I can induce rage from miles or even continents away.

With a name like Sadpants, you really have to blame his parents. He never had a chance. The wildly innappropriate actions of his uncle and grandfather probably didn't help either.

I feel the same way about competitive multiplaier. good artical.

I am in a similar position. I don't mind playing with random people, but not against.

When I play co-op against the computer, especially games that tag you to tasks as complex as "reach the end of the level, and kill everything on your path" (like Left 4 Dead, Borderland or Resistance 2), then even noobs can cooperate to archieve the goal...
When I play competitive, I know I am the noob that didn't spend +100 hours to reach level 50, unlock everything and knows the best places to get headshots in every map and the best weapons to do it. I understand that for some people that is the goal of the game, but for me its just about having fun.

By the way, one nice exception I find recently is NFS: Hot Pursuit. Its competitive online, but it only matches you against your friends, which makes it more personal (and fun) that just trying to beat some random guy...

You know, Reading his extra punctuations, I wouldn't be surprised if he one day killed himself.

Of course, I don't know him, I just read his articles. And however autobiographic most articles are, writing is the esiest form of acting.

I like multiplayer, both competitive and cooperative. I just hate playing with random people online. I enjoy playing some Uncharted 2 with my friends online, and I enjoy playing Little Big Planet with people right next to me. It's not the same when you're playing with randoms. It just doesn't feel right. Partly because I have no idea how the randoms play. When I play with my one friend, I know he will find the best camping spot, and camp until everyone gets pissed off enough to unite against him. When I play with another of my friends, I know he will Leeroy a lot, so I will avoid being on his team, or get ready to run and gun a lot. I don't know randoms, I can't chastise randoms, I can't punch randoms and call them vagfaces. It's just not the same.

I play competitive multiplayer, but mostly with my friends, or left for dead, but even then that is partially co-operative. It can be fun on occasion, but playing the same maps over and over in quite a short period of time gets boring quickly so I take a break for a while.

Moeez:
Same stance as you, I just don't bother with competitive multiplayer. I don't need to prove anything to anyone in the virtual space.

Since they don't share the same opinions on fun this defines them as saddos/having no-life/rejects of some kind..?
Everyone has different views on what they want to do for fun, that's why there are so many different ways to entertain oneself; different tastes are everywhere.

If there is a winner and a loser in this, I'd say the winner is the person doing what they want to do for fun, the loser is the one who gets caught up about how they don't agree with someone else on what is fun.

"Half competitive" I like that. I kind of feel the same way. I played a decent amount of MW2 online and while I occasionally was first, I only really felt bad if I was last (or just getting killed a LOT). Basically if I had at least an positive KDR (even by just 1) I was fairly satisfied... I also used to play WoW. There were times when I would go on PVP streaks. Mostly tho it was just to get a really good piece of blue gear or two then move on to lvl 10 more times and do it again (ie: lvl 19, 29, 39 etc).

I was never really into Arenas. I did a few random matches with a variety of people but rarely anyone good so it was mostly just to get a few points and go home lol. I mostly liked the smaller group PVE stuff. Too bad it got so boring.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Yahtzee Croshaw:
I think it was a random NPC from No One Lives Forever

+1 Coolness points for that quote.

I think I can tolerate most people - working in retail does that to you - but someone screaming "IS THIS ON? CAN YOU GUYS HEAR ME?" or mouthbreathers or "YOU **** **** **** **** ***** *** *** **** ***"....

Nah, that's when I go singleplayer.

I was just thinking about No One Lives Forever yesterday - some of the conversations NPCs have in that game were so funny that it hurt (annnnd now I want to go play it again, blast it all).

As for why I generally don't play any form of competitive multiplayer (with certain limited exceptions like the occasional round of PvP in Guild Wars), I don't think it's that I don't enjoy competition so much as that's simply not the reason I play games. Speaking from experience, winning a hard fought match in Heroes' Ascent is bloody exhilarating, but also exhausting and often frustrating... and after a while the novelty wears off and the nagging little notion that I'm not actually "accomplishing anything" (even if I am technically making some bar somewhere get larger) kicks in. There's just rarely any sort of narrative urgency to competitive multiplayer - most varieties are virtually narrative-free diversions (as attempts to provide competitive multiplayer experiences with a plot are usually laughably bad simply because that almost never makes any damn sense once you examine what the players are actually doing in game).

Without that narrative urgency, the sense of accomplishment I might derive from completing some comparatively far less "exciting" activity on the single-player side of things is absent, and the time spent in multiplayer matches feels like time I've spent just messing around - everything is transitory and ephemeral, victory leads only to a furtherance of eternal conflict. In a nutshell, the issue I have with competitive multiplayer is that it ultimately doesn't have any point beyond "winning", and while I like to win I am not compelled to do so.

I feel the same way about competitive multiplayer. Good post.

I agree completely. I cannot stand competitive games. Hell, any situation where people are sizing each other up at all times just drains my enjoyment out of anything. This is why I could never even consider getting Starcraft 2. Well, I suppose the main reason for that was due to my preference for less hectic and fast-paced RTS, but couple that with the fact that a good chunk of my friends own the game. Just owning Starcraft 2 to enjoy the main campaign wouldn't be enough since I just know I would get so many people telling me to get on battle.net.

I as an Illinoisan take offense to this article.

I'm not really big on competitive multiplayer myself. I used to play Dark Age of Camelot. One of the methods of progression was called Realm Rank. The only way to get realm points to advance your realm rank was PvP. I don't do so hot against other people. I played a healer to avoid having to kill other players. It's just not something I do.

Now that they've changed the game as much as they have, I can't find the information I want, if I decide to go back to it. They dropped all kinds of servers, so I can't get the info I need. I still have my account, but it's not active anymore.

I wonder if anybody knows when they combined Mordred and Gaheris, did they just drop all the PvP from Gaheris, or is it now a PvP server?

Never got into MMORPGs, but I am newly addicted (the last two years or so) to multiplayer FPSs, which is damn near only competitive. Being a loser in real life helps take some of the sting off of getting whupped on constantly, but the wonderful thing about, say, TF2 is that EVERYONE'S constantly dying. As long as you take someone with ya, it's a-ok. That said, I'm not going to blame anyone if that's not their bag, I just wish Yahtzee would occasionally say something about multiplayer that isn't "GAMES MUST STAND ON SINGLE PLAYER ALONE RAAAAAAHRRR." Not that I'm going to complain about this fellow who does such fine work, and entertains me weekly for free.

Oh, and I *HATE* global-only leaderboards too. BC2 won't even rank me, cuz I'm a noob and thousands of people have been playing for so long there's no room for me.

Competitive multiplayer is fine if you are all atleast slightly equal. Then it comes down to skill and tactics. One reason i hated and left WOW was high level assholes that would goad you into attacking them. Or just kiss your ass and wait for you to come back to your corpse. Had this happen so many times i quit the game. Competition is good, but bullying someone that can not hope to beat you is pathetic and ruins the fun of the game.

I figured as much.
I'm the same; not too fussed about winning and losing bugs me.

Well said on competitive multiplayer. Expresses my own feelings very well.

When it comes down to it, I'd rather win with my friends than win against them (or anyone for that matter). Top it off with the fact that losing at anything is just frustrating and interrupts my feeling of progression and enjoyment, and competitive multiplayer isn't for me.

voorhees123:
Competitive multiplayer is fine if you are all atleast slightly equal. Then it comes down to skill and tactics. One reason i hated and left WOW was high level assholes that would goad you into attacking them. Or just kiss your ass and wait for you to come back to your corpse. Had this happen so many times i quit the game. Competition is good, but bullying someone that can not hope to beat you is pathetic and ruins the fun of the game.

That's how it works on the old Dark Age server I was on. Except they just played a numbers game. When you're side is outnumbered then you need more skill. The lowest ratio I ever saw was 2.1 to 1. The third team was generally 2.8 to 1. Basically we were outnumbered almost 5 to 1. It does not make for a good experience when you need more skill because you've got lower numbers.

vxicepickxv:

voorhees123:

That's how it works on the old Dark Age server I was on. Except they just played a numbers game. When you're side is outnumbered then you need more skill. The lowest ratio I ever saw was 2.1 to 1. The third team was generally 2.8 to 1. Basically we were outnumbered almost 5 to 1. It does not make for a good experience when you need more skill because you've got lower numbers.

This was like 5 years ago. It is plain bullying for easy kills. It is so pathetic that i stopped playing the game. Boring grinding is one thing, but high powered assholes killing you when you cant do nothing back was another. Just made the game a depressing grind to play.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here