The Big Picture: Conspiracy Weary

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Conspiracy Weary

This week, Bob uncovers what's really going on, and welcomes our new reptilian overlords.

Watch Video

I felt this was appropriate.

And all of Leicester apologises about David Icke...and Keith Vaz...

Now i've just got the image of lizard bob stuck in my head

I think your video is a conspiracy to make us believe conspiracies aren't everywhere! Don't believe him!!!

That aside, I really enjoied today's video.

Global warming is real. Whether or not we are significantly affecting it is the debate.

Conspiracy theories are stupid. Personal agendas should always be considered.

Interesting episode. Touched on some good points. The thing that confused me though was the conspiracy by Arnold and Hollywood to have audiences go to theatres rather than play video games, since I seriously neer even heard that one till just now

So...

...Who's Alex Jones?

Okay... Kobra-Bob had my sides splitting.

And honestly? I accepted that Bush Jr. was an idiot. If you see him speak, it's easy to swallow.

Just when I'm ready to write you off as a hack Bob you go and make something brilliant like this. Except that part about global warming. Which is more likely? A bunch of oil conglomorates all setting aside their competition with each other to mastermind a global dominance of the energy market to make themselves rich while purposefully misleading the public with falsified scientific findings? Or a bunch of different conman doom saying to a gullible public willing to give them cash to stop an immanent threat that they can nether prove or disprove?

Gee that almost sounds like every corrupt organized religion ever.

P.S. everything I didn't mention about the video was pretty spot on.

I always believed that I was smart enough to see a conspiracy theory for what it is...until you brought up the Govenator/videogames one, darn. I guess we're all susceptible.

Oh, and if I may play Devil's advocate for a moment...

...Whew, glad I got that out of my system.

This was a good episode. Good mix of humor and things to think about. And I for one welcome our new reptilian overlords with open arms.

Almost started cheering and applauding halfway through that, go MovieBob!

MB202:
So...

...Who's Alex Jones?

Makes a lot of movies about how the New World Order will destroy the Old World. Because he's been allowed to. By the New World Order. And not silenced in any way. Which they've already done to everyone else. And only HE can SEE the TRUTH.

I loved this episode, because my grandpa is completely obsessed with these theories. (Actually, pretty much every one Bob mentioned.) Not only did this help me enjoy this video, it also lets me get other little touches. Anyone notice the Bilderberg reference in AC Brotherhood? I know I did! I treat conspiracies now like I treat Magic: the Gathering. I collect them, learn how I can use them, and smash opponents with my crazy-powerful arguments. Maybe I have to much free time. Who knows?

love it and so true :). such an intelligent dude.

That was a great vid, but why did you ruin the end? I couldn't help but facepalm.

With all those chaos Bob talked about, something tells me that Bob is not a Chaos Worshiper.

Very true. But sometimes I'd assume a few of the theories had some sort of real springboard.

Certainly not most of them though. And I certainly don't have a problem accepting the randomness of reality. It actually reassures me. I like it.

So Bob, did you go to the Illuminati meeting last week? They had a Pizza party, it was awesome. Also, I think they are going to have the Iraq war last a few more years, until The get the operation in N. Korea moving.

Bleh. My biggest problem with conspiracy theories being so widespread is that it means they're actually possible (in far more mundane ways than a global shadow government yes, but still possible) because all you need to do to discredit inquiry is to look incredulously and say 'it's conspiracy nonsense' and then whoever asked the question has to look sheepish and go away forever. It's not a binary. Conspiracies do exist, not all conspiracy theories are invalid, but yes, 9/10 of them are bunk. Of course, even by saying 'conspiracies happen' people probably think I'm a kook. Which kinda proves my point.

Funny thing about conspiracy theories, they tend to be more believable the closer you are to living in a third world country, where your life is the plaything of people with more money.

I currently reside in same place where an experiment is being conducted as to how many austerity measures can be taken before the people brake and start an armed rebellion. That's so other countries, with more capital won't have to test these things on their own people.

Seriously, you missed one of the most Blatant Conspiracy Theories of the Modern century: That the American Government on Purposefully Caused 9/11! Why didn't you talk about that one? Do you think their might be some truth to that? I'm not saying "The U.S. Government Didn't Know", cause in all honesty, they probably did know but brush it off or didn't really care. I am saying "The U.S. Government did not rig up the World Trade Centers With Bombs!"

Also, it would have been nice if you touched the "Paul Is Dead" Conspiracy Theory, but I'll let you slide with that one.

OT: Agree'd and Agree'd: Conspiracy theories are ridiculous. I am not sure that it's just because people want to make more sense of the world (Cause the Explanations given to them make more sense). I think it's a combination of people falling for or misinterpreting information, trying to feel like they are smart or will change the world, and idiocy.

My father is a conspiracy theorist, so this video is one I would love to take with a grain of salt, but I sadly, cannot. Although, he believes he has conspiracies for the conspiracies, so that he has the truth to the supposed "Truth".

But, he also watches Glenn Beck, which means he can only have truths to some truths, which means most things can't be true and the rantings of some loudmouth on the world's most powerful network has too....

Ashoten:
Just when I'm ready to write you off as a hack Bob you go and make something brilliant like this. Except that part about global warming. Which is more likely? A bunch of oil conglomorates all setting aside their competition with each other to mastermind a global dominance of the energy market

OPEC?

Ashoten:
to make themselves rich while purposefully misleading the public with falsified scientific findings? Or a bunch of different conman doom saying to a gullible public willing to give them cash to stop an immanent threat that they can nether prove or disprove?

Yeah, those poor suffering oil companies are being driven to the verge of bankruptcy while the Secret Evil Liberal Science Conspiracy is making literally TENS of dollars!

And we'll be able to prove the threat when the water reaches your lower lip. Or will you still be insisting on Further Study then?

But Bob, if it's on the Simpsons it HAS to be real!

Good vid old chap!

LE GASP!

Reptillazoid! could it be that i have discovered the identity of your holy vessel in which you have come to earth to witness its preparation for your glorious return?

waitaminute...oh...shit...ill give you an island in the carribien if you shut up about this whole thing.

Hey Bob. So I know we've had fun with accents before ( *Looks back at the Black Swan review* ) but whether intentionally or not, you actually made me think of Stewie from Family Guy with the reptile thing.

Yeah, that's just the image that came to mind. Go figure.

As always, thank you for being the voice of reason and dropping another bomb in the war against stupid.

great episode (your stuff seems to wary from tolerable to absolubtely brilliant and this is one of the better moments)

the ending remindet me of a documentary i saw some years ago called "the great glopal warming swindle" and i recomend it to anyone who wants to know more about issues like glopal warming ("the inconvenient truth is a good counterpoint to that movie so i recomend watching them together(inconvenient truth first))but yea most (if not all) conspiracy theores are coplete bullshit

P.S sorry about spelling/gramatical errors English isnīt my first language and Iīm too lazy to go over my post to fix any errors

unacomn:
Funny thing about conspiracy theories, they tend to be more believable the closer you are to living in a third world country, where your life is the plaything of people with more money.

I currently reside in same place where an experiment is being conducted as to how many austerity measures can be taken before the people brake and start an armed rebellion. That's so other countries, with more capital won't have to test these things on their own people.

Yeesh. Where do you live?

Am I the only person who thinks that Bush jr is clear evidence that there is a puppetmaster behind the throne? Or did he mastermind and execute his brilliant term of office all on his own?

And its amazing how far 'lone nuts' will go in a presidential system with a maximum term of 8 years. Its safer to be European royalty than an American politician, if you want to judge by number of assassinations. You guys must be hoarding all the 'lone nuts'.

Oh my god we are all doomed!!!

Sounds like Jungian theories. People need to believe there's something much bigger than they are pulling strings to keep themselves psychologically stimulated (I hope that's appropriate phrasing, lack of sleep is making me second guess myself).

I guess conspiracy theories just sate that need for people that aren't finding it elsewhere.

The idea of a random world that we need to explain via stories is well explored in the Dashiell Hammett novel, The Maltese Falcon. In the novel, Sam Spade is a man who lives in a world where "Girders fall on people" or in less cryptic terms, a world where people can die at any moment simply by blind luck. To try and function properly in such a chaotic universe, the characters all use stories. Stories to explain why they're here, to justify what they're doing and to convince others to do as they wish.

There are some very interesting parallels between the need to create stories to explain larger concepts such as the Universe, God, Governments and Wars - and the smaller stories we use on a daily basis to create our own identity.

What with some of the rather lack lustre recent episodes (at least in comparison with the excellent original Youtube series) I was starting to think that working on two videos and an article was too much to expect on a weekly basis from one person. I know I'd find it hard. But this was has proved me wrong, it was very interesting and raised a good point. In short. Go Bob!

Yay, someone's willing to talk about conspiracy theories!

Seriously though, I really hate conspiracy theories, especially anything referring to the NWO. It's all stupid stuff, and I really, really don't like that there are people who actually buy into this. But... this video's given me something to think about with that.

Thanks, Bob! =D

Surprisingly insightful. I thought bob only new about games. Awesome!

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here