The Big Picture: Conspiracy Weary

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

What's the difference between our new reptilian overlords and our old Illuminati?

The moon landing was faked in a studio on the moon.
Nixon assassinated Kennedy to get rid of his competition for the election so he could start the hippie movement that will destroy America.
Soylent Green is people, but only the people who nobody liked.
You socks are just clinging to the wall of the dryer.
PETA's true goal is to make animal rights look stupid to advance their true goal of Carnivorism.
Tetris was an incomplete Soviet Superweapon designed to cripple America's economy through addiction. The remnants of the project were obtained by the radical terrorist cell "PopCap".

I read a Spider Robinson story that was similar to David Icke's stuff, and it upset me. No, that's not why. Robinson admitted it was a work of fiction.

My problem was ultimately that it scapegoated the "evil aliens" for all the bad stuff human beings did to one another. And THAT was what I couldn't stand. Face it, human beings SUCK!!!

We do really bad things to each other for stupid reasons. I can't wait for the day that we can upload our brains into computers so that I can volunteer to be sent as a deep space probe to the other end of the galaxy. 100,000 light years of peace and quiet ^_^

Conspiracy theories overlap and mutate so much it's hard to figure out where one ends and the other begins. It's hard to discern if there is any difference between conspiracy theories because they turn into giant blobs of insanity.

It's kind of like looking at Alex Jones.

Shit happens has long been the motto to which I live my life.

Souplex:
The moon landing was faked in a studio on the moon.
Nixon assassinated Kennedy to get rid of his competition for the election so he could start the hippie movement that will destroy America.
Soylent Green is people, but only the people who nobody liked.
You socks are just clinging to the wall of the dryer.
PETA's true goal is to make animal rights look stupid to advance their true goal of Carnivorism.
Tetris was an incomplete Soviet Superweapon designed to cripple America's economy through addiction. The remnants of the project were obtained by the radical terrorist cell "PopCap".

I'm in agreement with you about the Tetris conspiracy, most assuredly!

(and I always thought Soylent Green was a way to make people more palatable... ;) )

Conspiracies do happen. More than one person does act together to do the improbable. Unless you think it's a coincidence that two of the four planes highjack on the same day happened to crash into adjacent identical buildings, 9/11 was a conspiracy. And if you don't think there was a conspiracy of people trying to convince those in power to go to war with Iraq, I can't imagine how you think politics works.

I don't know why conspiracies became fashionable as iconic ramblings of nuts, as they happen all the time. I think people forget: conspiracies fail too. There was a conspiracy of agents trying to prevent 9/11. And there was a conspiracy of people trying to convince the powers that be to not to go to war with Iraq. But they failed, even working together or in secret, conspiracies to do good or evil fail all the time.

Now people come up with radical fantasies and use the hard to prove or disprove mechanic of conspiracies to defend them, the same way gods and magic have been used in the past. And the reason these arguments are so convincing is because human beings are design to see patterns and see how the web of the universe fits together.

Still, I feel cheated whenever anyone looking for connections is labeled a crazy conspiracy theorist trying to escape reality, when so often people search for these connections to get better in touch with reality. When an unbelievable event occurs you should ask questions, even if they are stupid, because it's the unknown that truly scares us. Though I'd like to remind conspiracy theorist to not have a bias when investigating, accept every connection you try to make could be wrong, otherwise you're not looking for the truth you're looking for a fantasy.

Do we see the patterns because we are looking for them, or have humans evolved to look for patterns because they are actually there? It is impossible say, but rather than debate order versus chaos, let me quote a wiser man, who was just celebrated in America this last Monday.

"All I'm saying is simply this, that all life is interrelated."
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly."
"For some strange reason, I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

The comments thread on this one is bound to be hilarious. I think Bob might be tilting at windmills a little bit here but his basic point is important and very true. Shit does not happen for a reason, but most people would rather believe in willful evil than pure chaos because the latter is scarier.

Faerillis:

Ashoten:
Just when I'm ready to write you off as a hack Bob you go and make something brilliant like this. Except that part about global warming. Which is more likely? A bunch of oil conglomorates all setting aside their competition with each other to mastermind a global dominance of the energy market to make themselves rich while purposefully misleading the public with falsified scientific findings? Or a bunch of different conman doom saying to a gullible public willing to give them cash to stop an immanent threat that they can nether prove or disprove?

Actually Ash, we can prove Global Warming. That is all he said. We can prove the temperature is going up steadily. He didn't so much as whisper a word about it definitely being Anthropogenic (based on how most people have accepted it and started working on it I really hope it is anthropogenic) just that it is definitely occurring. Besides which, even if it isn't caused by us, at worst we are now finally cleaning our environment. I don't see the loss.

You know what? I'm just too confused about all this scientific mumbo jumbo surrounding global warming. I just want some experts to tell me what to think cause it hurts my head to think about it too much. I don't want to burn in the fires of global warming for not being a good earth citizen. We should totally get all the best scientists together with different opinions on the subject and tell them to come up with a unified belief that everyone can follow. It will be called the "Copenhagen Creed" and then no one will have to be upset at each other about it.

Of course we will need officials to interpret the Creed for us in case any confusion rises in the future. They will need to wear special cloths to identify them separate from the common rabble so we can give them all our attention and respect. Since they are devoting all their time to spreading the word of Green for us we will need to support them with donations. We will also need to establish a permanent building for them to operate out of so we know where to send are questions and money too. The building should be really big and impressive too so that the Earth really knows that we are seriously about respecting it properly.

That's all I'm asking for.

I have a BIG conspiracy theorist as a friend, and it tries me out to hear him all the time. This video really informative, and REALLY gives me a good angle to think about these things

Great vid bob, I've always loved it when my friends bring up conspiracy theories and its so simple to explain to them why its stupid and unrealistic. To believe a conspiracy you have to ignore a substantial amount of logic and reason which is just crazy.

The easiest way to debunk a conspiracy theory:
1. Think about how many people are involved in the conspiracy (the government, all Americans, etc.)
2. Imagine a toilet bowl large enough where all said conspirators can take a dump at the same time.

McShizzle:
I don't think Cheney is part of any hooded cabal or anything but he sure does have a lot of coporate contacts that made a lot of money off the Iraqi adventure. You'd have to have a pretty good argument to convince me that him and the old boys club weren't pulling the strings in that administration.

Yeah, but I'm hard-pressed to call that a conspiracy considering how UTTERLY BLATANT they were about it.

Corruption, sure. But not really a conspiracy.

Jatal Khyron:

Whenever I hear people call Rush Limbaugh or Glenn Beck idiots, blowhards, etc., my first question is 'Do you listen/watch their shows?" and 99 times out of 100 I hear "Hell, no! He's an idiot!" I know not every last thing they say is perfect nor gospel, but much of what they say makes sense, if you are only willing to put aside your own prejudices for a little while.

Um, no. I've listed to Rush and that odious blowhard Savage, and most of what they say it "LIBRULS SUCK" repeated in every possible way. I've glanced at Ann Coulter's eldricth tomes, and given her liberalcidal screeds, I am damn glad she doesn't have any political power except through her fans.

And they are TERRIBLE at getting their facts right. And they never admit to being wrong about anything. It ain't about reporting - it's about making the audience's GLANDS swell.

Their jabbering is why I mostly stick to hearing politics on the Internet - I can brainwash THAT back.

Jatal Khyron:

Maybe if you want to bring people together, you should stop telling half of us we're always wrong.

Sorry, but a lot of the time, the Republicans ARE wrong. This is the conspiracy theory thread, so I'll just point out that they've spent the last 2 decades and change developing a perfectly sealed reality for the True Believers where no Liberal facts LIES can enter. A cozy little greenhouse of hatred that has been producing gun-toting crazies at a frightening rate.

Found those WMDs in Iraq yet? How about Obama's Kenyan birth certificate? Didja know SEVERAL independent commissions decided "Climategate" was a load of hooey? :-P

Now by all means, begin the WHINING about how us badnastyevil Libruls are JUST AS BAD, but get down offa your cross. We need the wood.

Bob you simply cannot receive enough praise for what you do and who you are. Your ideals, albeit grim, are logical, intelligent and philosophically deep. Your disregard to conformity to social norms, logic, intelligence, philosophy, and outright acceptance of the truth make you a true inspiration. It also puts you in the situation which is the vain of every intellectual person - you'd make an ideal politician. The fact that you actually understand how the real world functions and not just how the political world functions world bring a somewhat fresh change. A true intellect in power would be a dream - ironically proving to be a ray of hope in your own grim philosophy. Movie Bob for president? Hell yeah. Movie Bob for supreme reptilian overlord? Only after you convert me to Godzillaism. Pipe dreams they are, my gratification can be summed up quite simply - thank you Bob.

Ashoten:

Faerillis:

Actually Ash, we can prove Global Warming. That is all he said. We can prove the temperature is going up steadily. He didn't so much as whisper a word about it definitely being Anthropogenic (based on how most people have accepted it and started working on it I really hope it is anthropogenic) just that it is definitely occurring. Besides which, even if it isn't caused by us, at worst we are now finally cleaning our environment. I don't see the loss.

You know what? I'm just too confused about all this scientific mumbo jumbo surrounding global warming. I just want some experts to tell me what to think cause it hurts my head to think about it too much. I don't want to burn in the fires of global warming for not being a good earth citizen. We should totally get all the best scientists together with different opinions on the subject and tell them to come up with a unified belief that everyone can follow. It will be called the "Copenhagen Creed" and then no one will have to be upset at each other about it.

Of course we will need officials to interpret the Creed for us in case any confusion rises in the future. They will need to wear special cloths to identify them separate from the common rabble so we can give them all our attention and respect. Since they are devoting all their time to spreading the word of Green for us we will need to support them with donations. We will also need to establish a permanent building for them to operate out of so we know where to send are questions and money too. The building should be really big and impressive too so that the Earth really knows that we are seriously about respecting it properly.

That's all I'm asking for.

9_9
Projection - not just for movie theaters anymore.

(Seriously. Explain to me why almost every climatologist who doesn't get a paycheck from a coal company agrees this is what's happening and why. Do they just Hate America(tm GOP) THAT MUCH?)

I don't think Global Warming is real...

JackSparrowSucks:
I don't think Global Warming is real...

Any particular reason? Or just Bowel Cognition?

The problem with the bumbling intelligence service idea is that even if they were 100% convinced that Saddam had WMDs, so what? We know Kim Jong Il has WMDs but nobody's doing anything about him. Even with WMDs what could Saddam have done? Throw some gas at Kuwait? Why would we care about that? The easiest part is not planting the evidence, the easiest part is talking up a lie on the media. All that needs is talking and talking is the one thing politicians know how to do. Planting evidence would have the problem of whistleblowers but just repeating lies... What exactly were the real consequences for the people who talked about WMDs all day? There's no need to fake evidence because nobody really cares.

Oh that end really takes ya by surprise.

Can I make a logic loop? Debunking conspriacy theories. Is it's own conspriacy theory. Think about it.

Well ending was epic!!!

To believe all conspiracy theories is a mistake. To discount them all is a bigger mistake.

really enjoying your new spot, thanks bob :)

Bob seems pretty well informed about the the nature of reality and the way the world is run for a guy who makes movie reviews out of still pictures... And giving no evidence to his claims, other than, shit happens... You don't think conspiracies sometimes happen, Bob? I'm not going to go into detail of how much money the military industrial complex made form Iraq and Afghanistan, but let me give you my favorite example. There was a pretty big scandal in the country I'm from, Lithuania, about a decade ago, when the government wanted to privatize a local oil refining company. Despite Russian corporations offering much, much better prices and contract details, it was sold to an obscure American company Williams International that makes gas engines. Everything was planned and ready back in the spring of '99, but the oil refining company was sold in the autumn, when stock prices fell and the refinery was brought even cheaper. According to the contract, Williams International takes all of the profit they make and any losses are compensated by our government. As expected, Williams quickly ran the refinery into the ground and when stock prices fell sharply, they bought the rest of the stocks from our government, and since they bought them below market price, sold them for a profit. That made Williams International about 300mln. $ in profit at the expense of our taxpayers. That may not be a lot to you Americans, but for a small and poor Eastern European country, it is a lot. Our former prime minister, who refused to sell the refinery to Williams and resigned from his post in protest won the next presidential election was impeached and is restricted from holding public office in our country ever again. Out of about two dozen ridiculous charges throw at him, the only one they actually proved, is that the allegedly "endangered national security" when he told one of his campaign supporters on the phone, that his phone might be tapped and it actually was tapped. Not to mention, he was impeached by the supreme court and, according to our laws, the president may only be impeached by the parliament, which they tried, but failed to get the required number of votes. I guess he made quite a few powerful enemies when he tried to stop that Williams International con job, but nah, according to Movie Bow, it just a coincidence.

TLDR? Read the damn thing if you think Movie Bob totally has a legit point and is in no way throwing out unbacked arguments.

For those in america how don't know about the truly f@@kin' insane ramblings of david Icke i suggest you read some and give yourself a good laugh. after quitting football as goalkeeper for coventry city, he became a journo, then a green party activist before announcing he was the son of god and the messiah. so far, so cult.

what followed that was basically him watching film and thinking they're real. Matrix = real, V = lizard overlords in the royal family etc.
its kind of got to the point where any conpiracy theorist would run in terror if david icke started aggreeing with them as he's that mental. his books do sell however, and some people do belive him which just shows the terrible and pathetic of humanity.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Icke

Eric the Orange:

Doth:
Bob is dead wrong, again.

I think you missed the bit where it said this is an opinion show.

Because opinions can't be wrong? Don't think, petty please.

isn't it obvious the CIA had Kennedy killed and Cheney started a war with iraq to drum up business for halliburton

Still, dont belive in global warming. George Carlin sed some thing about that ... about planet ... and US destroing it ... bullshit !)

iblis666:
isn't it obvious the CIA had Kennedy killed and Cheney started a war with iraq to drum up business for halliburton

Nah, it was a plan put together by overlord Xenu, Elvis and Kurt Cobain.

Well we can't really know the truth on these things now can we.
But you should never dismiss all conspiracy theories because they are that, and when you got Bush elected twice... you got to me smelling some f*ing rotten eggs.

But the most scary thing of all is the entire world follows that moron who couldn't tie his shoes if his life depended on it into a war without thinking twice, now the smart people are following the idiots?!
WTF his going on??
And then the county where someone like Bush is put in office for 8 years is pushing to have the only nuclear weapons on the planet, and making an anti-nuke shield that is in their control... and everyone follows without question.
Russia, China and North Korea may be portrayed as the axis of evil right now, but to me it seems we will need those idiots to keep other idiots from blowing us all up.

All I want is more global warming, it's cold where I live.
I was promised warm weather and all I get is colder winter.
Global warming sucks, you'd think with warming in the name it wouldn't be so damn cold all the time.

I was hoping for even wackier plots and schemes and maybe a piss on scientology but great episode either way.

when amarica went into iraq they know he had WMD's the CIA sold them to him to use against Iran they trained him and his men as well again to fight Iran. (don't get me started on afganastain)

Oh, Bob is one of those lizards that actually rule the world behind the scenes. Didn't see that coming xD.

Bob my only disagreement with all of this anti-conspiracy stuff is that your labeling public investigations as conspiracies.

Conspiracy theory was originally a neutral descriptor for any claim of civil, criminal, or political conspiracy.[1] However, it has become largely pejorative and used almost exclusively to refer to any fringe theory which explains a historical or current event as the result of a secret plot by conspirators of almost superhuman power and cunning.[1]

Cheney did actually profit from the war. additionally it was proven without a doubt that the bush administration chose to look for any reason available to attack IRAQ. Nobody came to them stating IRAQ had WMDs. The only thing disputed was whether or not it was a result of being unable to find Bin laden when hysteria in the general US population was at it's highest or simply for the sake of war profiteering. Most likely a combination of the two.

I don't like the excuse you're using that this is "All opinion" when your goal in this is to educate people and get them discussing the issues. Get your facts straight when you make these kinda broad statements. Don't be a Rush or Glenn.

OH-NO!
Bob drank the Kool-aid!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook