Trailers: Eve Online: Incursion Trailer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Eve Online: Incursion Trailer

The Sansha Nation invades in the last recently released phase of the free Eve Online: Incursion expansion.

Watch Video

EVE always has great looking trailers.

So tempted to try this game. I've been reading about it on and off for a year or more and it seems like it would be a unique experience, but I keep putting it off because I just don't have the time to commit to another MMO.

I've been playing the Eve trial and I've been trying hard to get into the game. The game is absolutely what I'm looking for but something just isn't drawing me in. I'm not sure whether to just just dump it and return to WoW or give it another chance.

Join a corp, get a short, medium and long term goal by speaking to people - even randoms. It's a friendly universe if you're direct about what you want. Also helps if you know what you want too so play at least a few weeks trying out everything eve has to offer, even after a few weeks you'll still have no clue as to what it can offer you though.

There's always something new to try out, or something old to try out in a different way.

Adapt and survive or play WOW. Your choice of course.

Well for anyone interested in getting into the game, we have an Escapist user group for it - Escapist Eve Online Group.

I'm using every ounce of restraint that I have to not get this game...
I've heard that it has an extremely steep learning curve and is unbelievably unforgiving...But I am still interested in it. >_<
Thanks alot for making me more likely to get into it! :P

Must stay away......

Played since 2002, and finally escaped its evil clutches... and now its trying to drag me back in

Sidrat:
Join a corp, get a short, medium and long term goal by speaking to people - even randoms. It's a friendly universe if you're direct about what you want. Also helps if you know what you want too so play at least a few weeks trying out everything eve has to offer, even after a few weeks you'll still have no clue as to what it can offer you though.

There's always something new to try out, or something old to try out in a different way.

You sure you're not a PR from CCP?.

OT: Damn, I'm very tempted to return to EVE, I recently recieved a mail saying that my character was still waiting for my return, but right now I don't have the time and the money to play an MMO. Maybe in a couple of weeks or a couple of months when I get this new job.

Sidrat:

I've joined a small corp and the CEO has 15.9mil sp(or is it 1.59mil not even sure that's a lot) but he's been helpful and yes, the community is quite nice. My problem is is that I'm just not excited to spam quests to eventually PvP which I'm sure I'll be terrible at.

SupahGamuh:

Sidrat:

OT: Damn, I'm very tempted to return to EVE, I recently recieved a mail saying that my character was still waiting for my return, but right now I don't have the time and the money to play an MMO. Maybe in a couple of weeks or a couple of months when I get this new job.

That's a little creepy, did your character have puppydog eyes too?

Ahh Eve. Every year you call to me, and every year I succumb, only to depart after a month. Now the quintessential sandbox MMO, and sadly the only one of it's kind, how you do sparkle in the wastes of the other MMO piles, a rare gem amongst the blizzard of imitation titles.

But not this year Eve. I shall stay strong. Although the beat of the Minmatar war drums, shelling forth spent uranium resounds loudly in my ears, and the gleam of Amarrian golden chariots fills my eye, I shall not play you again.

I shall stay strong, and leave the vast complexity of your universe to more diligent minds, and more deserving supporters.

But still... the craving for the serenity of wormhole exploration is as strong as ever.

I pray my strength holds.

I would return to EVE but for the following reasons:

A) The cost. I can't really afford an MMO at the moment.

B) My laptop can barely run it.

C) I'm fairly sure they stopped supporting my processor.

HellspawnCandy:

No, he wears sunglasses inside a cabin in outer space... but alas, it's like it's calling for my return...

-Ignore Accidental double post-

SupahGamuh:

HellspawnCandy:

No, he wears sunglasses inside a cabin in outer space...

Actually according to the lore you are floating in a capsule/pod of goo[1], making sunglasses an even more interesting accessory.

Sixcess:

So tempted to try this game. I've been reading about it on and off for a year or more and it seems like it would be a unique experience, but I keep putting it off because I just don't have the time to commit to another MMO.

Yes, they do.

And don't: EVE Online is REALLY tedious. Perhaps no more so than any other MMO, but there IS a reason why EVE Online has under 100K subscribers while WoW has millions.

OT: For those who don't know EVE Online, Sansha's Nation is basically what you would get if the Heaven's Gate cult had cybernetic technology and a fleet of laser-shooting battleships.

Apparently, they now have their own capital ships. Fun times.

EDIT: Okay, I guess EVE has a lot more than 100K subscribers. When I was playing EVE, I never saw more than 40,000 (on a busy weekend) subscribers on the main server at any given time. EVE may have had more than 100K subscribers even then.

I tried Eve once, but combat felt incredibly detached and travel time was nigh on crazy.

*sigh* If only I can afford this. I do love the EVE trailers though.

RebellionXXI:
EVE Online is REALLY tedious. Perhaps no more so than any other MMO, but there IS a reason why EVE Online has under 100K subscribers while WoW has millions.

First off, you really hit the nail on the head : at its most tedious, EVE is not really more tedious than just about any other MMO.
However, if you're smart about it, you can side-step most of the tediousness and do whatever floats your boat. You can easily get by with either tedium (easiest for people with loads of time to kill), cunning (especially rewarding if you can manage it, because you CAN make a fortune with not much effort but loads of brain cycles) or brute force (in this case, a rich real-life wallet - selling GTCs or PLEX for in-game funding via the approved methodology is perfectly fine with the developers, and buying high-SP-count characters with in-game money is also perfectly ok).
The beauty of it all however is that it doesn't really matter how you make your in-game money, and that while important, no amount of in-game money will ever be a substitute for actual player (as in, you, the human controlling the character) experience. In-game money can very easily be gained (if you know what you're doing) or extremely easily lost (if you're careless and put all your virtual eggs in a single virtual basket).

Second, the subscriber count is almost 350,000 not just 100,000 as you seem to think. True, the concurrent user count is under 100k, but that's just accounts online at that particular moment (it's quite unusual to get more than 20% of subscribing accounts online at the same time). And the huge draw over games like WoW is that everything happens in a single universe, where EVERYTHING is connected. Well, for me it's a huge advantage, bit it might not really appeal to some others. Eh, to each his own, I guess.

Finally, the reason WoW will always have many more subscribers is quite simple : WoW is both *easy* and *simple*, while EVE is designed from the ground up to be both rather brutal and extremely complex.
WoW is the poster child of what EVE players call a "theme park" MMO (with its rollercoaster rides, guided tours and very gentle handholding all along to the top), while EVE is a self-proclaimed "sandbox" MMO... but most players agree it's actually a huge sandbox with a tiny relatively safe area, beyond which lie quicksand traps, landmines, razor blades and a zillion little bitey stabby things just waiting to obliterate you.

Yes, EVE can be long stretches of boredom punctuated by insanely hectic "fight for your life" all-guns-ablazing moments, but after you experience a few of those in which you're not completely obliterated, you don't really mind all the boredom in between anymore.
You will NEVER experience adrenaline rushes in any other game like you will in EVE, because everything you do matters and the death penalty can be HARSH for the unprepared. It can still be harsh even for the prepared, because YOU choose how much of what you own you want to risk. Some very rich players intentionally fly ships fitted with expensive gear that a newbie could only dream of just because otherwise they don't feel "the rush" anymore... and if a gang of newbies manages to catch such a person on the wrong foot (because, unlike in WoW, that can actually happen in EVE), the newbies will have surely be hit a big jackpot when they turn all the loot into in-game funds.

Me, I've been playing for nearly 5 years and not thinking about quitting any time soon (even if I surely had quite a few "what the hell, developers" moments every now and then).
I've tried quite a few other MMOs and got easily bored with each, always back to EVE (which was only on the back burner, never left for good).

EVE, you either intensely love it or kind of hate it, there's not much middle ground.
Unless you're a jaded veteran of it :P
In that case, it's just ok, but all other MMOs seem... inadequate in comparison.

Oh, CCP. You always make the most deliciously pretentious trailers.

BTW: Is that Terrence Stamp? If so, he's been getting some good VA gigs.

Sanash Incursions: Meh. Sansha Incursions bring more people into low-security space: Do Want!

Not like I'm a pirate or anything, or would do anything bad to said players.

SupahGamuh:

Nope not a PR rep for any company.

Don't click on that email, there have been fishing attempts before so resubscribe via the website should you choose to do so.

Yet another EVE trailer that communicates nothing of importance to non-players. Seriously, every EVE trailer ive seen (ive seen 4 or 5) is the same, a bunch of ships fighting in space and some random radio chatter, and i can never discern what the new expansion is about.

This game has a bloody steep learning curve, but all you really need to know in order to not get relentlessly spanked and quit the game after 2 weeks is that there are griefers EVERYWHERE. Around every corner awaits some basement dweller out to suckle on your delicious tears. Do not agree to any requests by strange players, and don't trust a single person, else you will probably lose many ships to silly mistakes.

Thought i was going to see KANE for a second in that trailer! XD Do love that they are giving love to the pirate factions \o/

Man kind wish CCP would go back to using more in game assets in their trailers. Guess thats just me. That and using some awesomesauce music again.

these com voice over ones are just the bees-knees!

the one with the Black Sun Empire - Arrakis ♥

My all time favorite Eve Trailer! Eve Never Fades! with the original Junkie XL - Beauty Never Fades ♥♥♥

3nimac:
Yet another EVE trailer that communicates nothing of importance to non-players. Seriously, every EVE trailer ive seen (ive seen 4 or 5) is the same, a bunch of ships fighting in space and some random radio chatter, and i can never discern what the new expansion is about.

It's not really about anything, because there is no "real story" (as far as i know). It's more intrigues of your Alliance, Corperation and so forth. A real Alliance war that rages across our territory is exciting.

The expansions just feels like a reason to add more stuff. On the other hand, it's free as long as you subscribe.

By the way, whatever happend to walking in stations? I still want to do that.

Ragnarok2kx:
Oh, CCP. You always make the most deliciously pretentious trailers.

I know I was laughing the whole time. The game play is so incredibly different from what a player could hope for watching that. But judging from all the trailers they post, I severely doubt their marketing department has ever actually seen the game.

It could be a much better game if it didn't have pacing issues (in nearly every aspect of the game) that make DBZ seem like a five episode mini-series.

Duendain:

3nimac:

It's not really about anything, because there is no "real story" (as far as i know). It's more intrigues of your Alliance, Corperation and so forth. A real Alliance war that rages across our territory is exciting.

The expansions just feels like a reason to add more stuff. On the other hand, it's free as long as you subscribe.

By the way, whatever happend to walking in stations? I still want to do that.

I must say, you are wrong on the "no real story" part. There's hundreds of pages worth of published lore (this is a compilation up to date as of December I think) http://go-dl1.eve-files.com/media/corp/SantaClaw/The_Book_of_EVE_v1.5.pdf plus 2 novels published so far. This doesn't even include all the stuff in-game, like info you get from certain mission arcs and especially the stuff people in the exploration profession get. http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1314015 pretty cool forum thread that hints at players driving updates as they discover certain new bits.

Also, not all trailers are the same, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXY1yJNboOo for example was shown while that expansion was being released, detailing the events as they happened in the Eve universe. These same events are explained in much greater detail in the novel with the same name as the expansion, 'Empyrean Age'. So.. yeah, point is there's loads of lore in there for those willing to look for it and the expansions do further the storyline, updating content that falls in line with what's going on in-game (like the new Sansha Supercarrier class ship being used in the incursions)

Um, as for walking in stations, that will possibly be released in the next expansion (summer 2011) or the one after that next winter. Hopefully we'll get the details in March after fanfest along with DUST514 info.

I must say, you are wrong on the "no real story" part. There's hundreds of pages worth of published lore (this is a compilation up to date as of December I think) http://go-dl1.eve-files.com/media/corp/SantaClaw/The_Book_of_EVE_v1.5.pdf plus 2 novels published so far. This doesn't even include all the stuff in-game, like info you get from certain mission arcs and especially the stuff people in the exploration profession get. http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1314015 pretty cool forum thread that hints at players driving updates as they discover certain new bits.

Also, not all trailers are the same, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXY1yJNboOo for example was shown while that expansion was being released, detailing the events as they happened in the Eve universe. These same events are explained in much greater detail in the novel with the same name as the expansion, 'Empyrean Age'. So.. yeah, point is there's loads of lore in there for those willing to look for it and the expansions do further the storyline, updating content that falls in line with what's going on in-game (like the new Sansha Supercarrier class ship being used in the incursions)

Um, as for walking in stations, that will possibly be released in the next expansion (summer 2011) or the one after that next winter. Hopefully we'll get the details in March after fanfest along with DUST514 info.

yes sure there is lore, and i enjoy reading it. But, you really don't interact with it. not really.

Fell in love with EVE, again. It's easy cause my heart's in the stars. Sci-Fi for life! <3

Would be awesome, if EVE wasn't spreadsheets online.

My Gods, i thought I was the only one making a concious effort to keep away from EVE. In theory it;s everything I ever wanted from any game, not only MMOs. In practice it oftenly doesn't feel like a game at all. Plus, Corporations?!? I know it;s basically a guild or a clan with a different name, but ooooh! wht a rubbish name. Anybody who's actually worked in Corp. Office (in that putrid place called real life) doesn't want to get of home to the other Corporation. At least if they're sane.
And I still would ignore all that in a flash if EVE would be at least half as good as it's trailers.
On the plus side it has a pretty solid fan-base, on of the reasons it seems that EVE trailers don't actually offer stuff to the non-players it's beacause they're not exactly directed at them.

beniki:
Ahh Eve. Every year you call to me, and every year I succumb, only to depart after a month. Now the quintessential sandbox MMO, and sadly the only one of it's kind, how you do sparkle in the wastes of the other MMO piles, a rare gem amongst the blizzard of imitation titles.

But not this year Eve. I shall stay strong. Although the beat of the Minmatar war drums, shelling forth spent uranium resounds loudly in my ears, and the gleam of Amarrian golden chariots fills my eye, I shall not play you again.

I shall stay strong, and leave the vast complexity of your universe to more diligent minds, and more deserving supporters.

But still... the craving for the serenity of wormhole exploration is as strong as ever.

I pray my strength holds.

*Drives past in a Nightmare*

You're really going to try and not play then? 500isk says you're back before March.

:)

RebellionXXI:

Sixcess:

Yes, they do.

And don't: EVE Online is REALLY tedious. Perhaps no more so than any other MMO, but there IS a reason why EVE Online has under 100K subscribers while WoW has millions.

OT: For those who don't know EVE Online, Sansha's Nation is basically what you would get if the Heaven's Gate cult had cybernetic technology and a fleet of laser-shooting battleships.

Apparently, they now have their own capital ships. Fun times.

Actually it's between 320 - 350 subscribers, not Earth shattering but pretty good when you consider it's a very niche product. I mean the number of people who want a player driven market PvP focused multiplayer Elite isn't that great.

That is the gist of Sansha's Nation yes. But it's a very shade of grey thing. The fluff is that he set off to the depths of space (0.0 space) and set up his own empire that grew quite large and was by all accounts utopian on the surface. Underneath the brainwashed cybrog True Slaves, Minmatar slaves sold by the Amarr (two of the four factions the player can roll), (Minmatar are escaped slaves, Amarr... zealots) kept things running and when that came out... all four of the main empires went 'hulk smash'... including the Amarr to save face.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here