Hands-On: Red Faction: Armageddon

How does being underground differ dramatically from the first game? It took place almost entirely underground.

Sounds good. Guerilla was a blast.

Sounds like shit if you ask me. One interesting aspect about RF was it had no aliens. Aliens are cool otherwise, but remember Battlestar Galactica or Firefly? No aliens. It's one of the things that made the shows (space scifi operas) special.

On the other hand, in todays era of the myriad of 'realistic' COD clones, maybe even this is for the best.

Sooo, no blue sky on Mars?? Come on, Cohaagen, you got what you want! Give these people air!

Why do I have... a sudden urge to watch Total Recall.

People might complain about the aliens but I doubt there will not be a fair share of human enemies. It would be interesting to see an alien punching itself through a wall in order to attack you... or if a building suddenly sprouted tentacles :P

Andy of Comix Inc:
Why do I have... a sudden urge to watch Total Recall.

lol that movie had some creepy special effect, especially in certain parts where youre not sure its Arnolds face or animatronics...uncanny valley ether way

spasicle:
How does being underground differ dramatically from the first game? It took place almost entirely underground.

Thats what i was thinking... Truthfully i cant remember a single NOT underground (or in building) moment in the first one :P

Cogito:

spasicle:

Thats what i was thinking... Truthfully i cant remember a single NOT underground (or in building) moment in the first one :P

I only remember three parts that took place above ground in the first game. After killing Capek, on the way to the shuttle to shut off the defense grid, and on the way to deactivate the merc's nuke. It was maybe 5% of the total game.

Even the second game had a good number of underground sections. Various sewers, train tunnels, and bunkers were in that game. The new game is only differing dramatically from the third game because it's going back to a linear FPS a'la the original game; where as the third game was GTA on the surface of mars.

I don't want to spoil anything yet but particularly if you played Red Faction 1 ... we definitely give some pretty heavy hints to the player.

Oh, okay, so Capek's experiments escaped, fled underground to even deeper caves, bred, rapidly mutated, and make a return in Armageddon. If it happens, you heard it here, first.

Those "aliens" do look very similar to Capek's experiments.

The magnet gun sounds like it was inspired partially by the superfun grappling hook of Just Cause 2.

Did anyone else think that the villain from the first Red Faction looked kind of like an evil Prof. Farnsworth?

spasicle:

Even the second game had a good number of underground sections. Various sewers, train tunnels, and bunkers were in that game. The new game is only differing dramatically from the third game because it's going back to a linear FPS a'la the original game; where as the third game was GTA on the surface of mars.

from the previews I've read the game isn't a linear, it will be similar to RF:G but underground. There are large cities as well as the tunnels similar to RF1 so the game will probably be open world and at most have a couple of on rails missions.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here