Critical Miss: Children of Steam #4

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Heh. Dick jokes and self-deprication. Heh.

It was always funny to me how English people name their children after genitalia.
I wonder who was the first to name his kid Dick.
No offense intended towards people whose names are Dick.

So, where did these two guys come from? Are they the slowpokes from IGN, now transformed into humans?

I must say, I should have seen the dickens joke coming. SHOULD have.

lol dick jokes are funny on the same token pun jokes are. its all in the seemless delivery! XD

nice zinger at that the end lol

I Didn't get the Dickens joke until the slowbros pointed it out...

Jonluw:
It was always funny to me how English people name their children after genitalia.

To my understanding the name "Dick" is an abbreviation of the name "Richard". Don't really know why it works like that, I always just assumed the first Richard was a total dick to people or something.

I cracked up at the end. I totally get it bro!

DynamicPenguin:

Jonluw:

To my understanding the name "Dick" is an abbreviation of the name "Richard". Don't really know why it works like that, I always just assumed the first Richard was a total dick to people or something.

Because, of course, "dick" originally meant "male genitalia," and has NEVER HAD ANY OTHER MEANINGS WHATSOEVER.

That's the way language works, right?! Someone creates a word that means something, and then that meaning is etched in the very fabric of time, right?!

DynamicPenguin:

Jonluw:

Yeah, I've heard that one. Doesn't really make much sense though. A guy is called Richard, but everyone calls him "Dick" because... He's a massive dick?... or maybe just for fun. Doesn't really make sense that someone should name their kid Dick just because of that. Perhaps "dick" didn't mean the same thing back then.

Dickens............... Oh I get it. Meh it wasn't as good as the first 3 comics.

Jonluw:
Yeah, I've heard that one. Doesn't really make much sense though. A guy is called Richard, but everyone calls him "Dick" because... He's a massive dick?... or maybe just for fun. Doesn't really make sense that someone should name their kid Dick just because of that. Perhaps "dick" didn't mean the same thing back then.

I know a slightly outdated one is to refer to male genitals as your 'John Thomas' so it's possible that people just settled on dick as a name for it by unspoken consent.

I know that Bill is short for William so the reason for Dick being short for Richard is presumably some quirk of old old old English. The original reason for this shortening has been mostly forgotten I would guess and was necessitated by a portion of our language no longer in use. I just opped on to some name websites and they simply state that Dick is a 'medieval rhyming nickname' derived from Rick, perhaps Rick held a certain negative meaning or maybe they just enjoyed the wordplay?

EDIT: Also dick is a German word for fat. It could be a letter change based on a derogatory joke, kids still do that these days. The English language was considerably more Germanic in the past owing to successive waves of immigration from the continent.

Poor Chad.. Always the last one to get the jokes and always being mistaken for Lance...

So thats what the comic writers look like. ic

Jonluw:

The father of my mother's friend was named Richard Handy, but went by "Dick." Mom's friend was always mortified when he answered the phone "Dick Handy!"

On topic: 'Twas a fine epic indeed. I hope to see more like this in the future!

Cool story, bro.

Dickens.. lol.

Where was the hamster, I couldn't see it anywhere O.o

What was the name of the two guys making the dick jokes? Something about them seems fimiliar...

I am really starting to like your art style.

DynamicPenguin:
Don't really know why it works like that, I always just assumed the first Richard was a total dick to people or something.

My thoughts on it:

Richard ---> Germans take name, pronounce as Rickard ---> Shortened to Rick ---> English take name, one guy thinks to change R to D ---> That catches on for some reason, and Dick is born!

OT:

Haha... Mountain of dongs. :P

Am I the only one who realizes that the guy making dick jokes is none other then an expy of everyones favourite hack Tim Buckley? The hair and glasses are a dead giveaway as well.

Yes, I just did a B^U and explained the joke. Because B^Uckley makes dick jokes, geddit? It's funny because B^Uckley explains the joke too.

But seriously I liked the satire of that douchebag. Very well put guys, shame he won't read it himself, maybe I will post it on the CAD forums and get banned. =P

I'm not sure who the other one might be but he looks like Ryan Sohmer, which would make sense really.

I have no idea who those two guys are supposed to be but funny comic nonetheless.

I'm surprised some people actually had to have the Slowbro point out the Dickens joke. That's... unsettling.

I burst out laughing at panel 7!

Cock Screen was funnier.

BrunDeign:
I have no idea who those two guys are supposed to be but funny comic nonetheless.

I'm surprised some people actually had to have the Slowbro point out the Dickens joke. That's... unsettling.

No, you see, there was also a writer called Dickens.

Mullahgrrl:

BrunDeign:

No, you see, there was also a writer called Dickens.

It's a take that towards Tim Buckley, the creator of Ctrl+Alt+Del

Oh so they're supposed to be the writers of the webcomic? That makes sense. They appear in the Civ 5 one with Ghandi too!

Ossian:

The hamster sadly perished in the chaos of the apoaclypse.

CitySquirrel:

Jonluw:

The father of my mother's friend was named Richard Handy, but went by "Dick." Mom's friend was always mortified when he answered the phone "Dick Handy!"

On topic: 'Twas a fine epic indeed. I hope to see more like this in the future!

I remember in high school gym class we threw javelins one time, and the brand name was "Dick Held", which was hysterical.

Latinidiot:

Ossian:

Ossian:

Latinidiot:

Ossian:

come now,sir, we must not cry.

we...mus*snif*

be strong...

Not the best images, but I think it works.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here