Hands-on: Magicka Preview

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Hands-on: Magicka Preview

An innovative magic system coupled with hilarious friendly-fire fun.

Read Full Article

Man that looked awesome.. Pick some friends, and let the shit hit the fan

Hey what a great and innovative idea!!

A round of applause for these guys!

(Although perhaps some cartoonier graphics might have lent more to the comedic and light-hearted aesthetic, this does look like a very interesting game)

I rarely play games on my PC, but I'm willing to make an exception for this one - it looks awesome.

It sounds fun from your description, but the trailer was less than impressive.

Looks cool. I would get on a console for co-op with friends, but not for the PC.

I like 4 players in the same room for a game that looks like this.

It's a cool system to implement. Though, I'd love to see it used as a puzzle-solving system. An adventure game where element-based magic and mixtures of those magics applied in different ways would be kick ass.

I was torn over wether or not to get this for PC, but I've just seen that it's also coming to XBLA tomorrow. I am a very happy individual.

Oooh, this looks shiny. The magic mixing system kinda reminds me of Quest 64 but without all that unfinished game bollocks.

im so sad... i thought this was a skyrim article :(

Xlr8DETH:

Glad to see I wasn't the only one.

-Anyway, the game looks fun. However, I really want a demo of sort before spending [insert monetary value here] on it.

I just checked, there is a demo of this on steam EmperorZuma, gonna try it now.

This looks awesome, I am so gonna get it. And it's on PC! Thank you, Arrowhead Games!

I thought and told a friend about my idea, which was extremly close to this magic system...

I demand money!

Just spotted this on Steam a moment ago, looks very worth the money. It's not an entirely original casting system, but it's a rare one and it sounds to be brilliantly done.

I dare say I'll be picking this one up.

EDIT: Ooh, a demo. I approve.

EmperorZuma:

Xlr8DETH:

Glad to see I wasn't the only one.

-Anyway, the game looks fun. However, I really want a demo of sort before spending [insert monetary value here] on it.

If you're planning on PC not 360 version there is a demo on Steam. I'm downloading it right now. Yeah, demo is already available, it's available to buy on Steam in 11 hours.
Gotta say, the trailer doesn't show off the innovation and creativity that's obvious just from your description... They should make another one.

Just played the demo. It actually seems pretty difficult with just one player, but it's a whole mess of fun. Most definitely gonna shell out $10 for it after I catch some Z's.

Fightgarr:
It's a cool system to implement. Though, I'd love to see it used as a puzzle-solving system. An adventure game where element-based magic and mixtures of those magics applied in different ways would be kick ass.

There are puzzles. There's places where you have to combine different magics to active generators and stuff. (Lightning + arcane gives a lightning beam, using lightning AOE to activate 2 generators simultaneously.)

This looks fantastic. And made by only two guys it said? Keep these single digit team productions coming, cause they're coming awesome these days!

steeple:
I thought and told a friend about my idea, which was extremly close to this magic system...

I demand money!

I have the exact same feeling. i guess great minds think alike?
also: http://xkcd.com/827/

Looks like a great game, especially for its price.

The trailer is a little underwhelming.

----------------------
13 levels!

up to 4 player co-op!

Dynamic spellcasting!

We have humor!

-----------------------

13 levels sounds like not much at all.
4 player coop is cool.
The phrase 'dynamic spellcasting' could mean anything and doesn't do justice to this game's spellsystem at all.

I think the best trailer would be one that went into the spellcasting or showed some of this supposed pratchett-like humor that I'm not getting so far.

Still buying it though, based on this preview. Just hope they make a better trailer for themselves.

I agree with the trailer being underwhelming, the same goes for the description on Steam. 'Dynamic Spellcasting' does no justice to this brilliant system, at all.

beefpelican:
It sounds fun from your description, but the trailer was less than impressive.

Likewise, the premise looked good but the trailer did NOT hook me.

This reminds me of the Warcraft 3 Mod Spellcraft.

It looks awesome, and the lack of Mana limitations make it pretty unique and potentially awesome.

GLo Jones:
I've just seen that it's also coming to XBLA tomorrow.

Where did you see it? Can't find it on XBLA at all.

dunam:

I think the best trailer would be one that went into the spellcasting or showed some of this supposed pratchett-like humor that I'm not getting so far.

the speech bubble at the end said "i sense a disturbance in the town." with something after that. keep in mind this wasn't made by a huge studio, these guys are game devs and had to make their own jokes ;D

ToxicPiranah:

GLo Jones:

Turns out it's not coming out on XBLA yet (Wikipedia lies, who knew?), but hopefully will at some point. It's just a matter of time.

I am mildly devastated though...

Sounds fun, I might have to grab it today.

If anyone else is going to get it, grab it by Jan 31 for extra stuff.

GLo Jones:

ToxicPiranah:

GLo Jones:

Turns out it's not coming out on XBLA yet (Wikipedia lies, who knew?), but hopefully will at some point. It's just a matter of time.

I am mildly devastated though...

XBLA updates on Wed.

Check then.

Sounds pretty interesting! Going to see if I can convince my friends to give it a try.

Played demo, loved it. Although I do think Earth magic is a little strong - it literally stops all melee monsters while still enabling you to damage them (as opposed to normal non-powered Shield), and 5x Earth Magic (you can stack up to 5 elements, as long as they dont cancel each other out) sends a powerful rock that one-hits anything smaller than an ogre/ettin/troll/whatever you call it.

However, I am a sucked for games where you combine spells... There were attempts to do it before, but they failed. Magicka balances the obvious overpoweredness of some comboes (like, Shield + 3x Electric + Arcane) with the friendly fire. How many times I killed myself with my own shield that exploded the second enemies entered the zone? Sure, in co-op someone might revive me, solo not so much.

Hijax:

steeple:

I demand money!

I have the exact same feeling. i guess great minds think alike?
also: http://xkcd.com/827/

Im pretty sure the feeling of wanting more money is not exclusive to the great minds....

I mean, I know some realy realy good minds out there that thought about it once in a while

and about the xkcd, I dont understand why money is being shot from the box into the stick-dude's hand...
I mean, its not like his putting it there himself. thats not something that would be expected from a person in the presented situation to be doing...

I read the article and i KNEW this was a game i wanted to buy. I looked it up on steam and saw there was a demo, and i figured, it really couldn't hurt, i mean heres a free version of the game and i demo games i'm interested in whenever i can. Well I just finished the demo and i regret my decision to play it, WHY DIDN'T I JUST BUY IT OUTRIGHT?!? NOW I HAVE TO WAIT ANOTHER 15MIN TO PLAY IT!!! THIS GAME IS FREAKEN AMAZING!!!

O, btw... NEVER cast earth x5 on yourself...

Legendsmith:

Fightgarr:

There are puzzles. There's places where you have to combine different magics to active generators and stuff. (Lightning + arcane gives a lightning beam, using lightning AOE to activate 2 generators simultaneously.)

Yes, but those are puzzles in the action game sense of the word. I mean puzzles of complexity and depth, using the magic and elements system, wherein combat (if any in the game) takes a back seat to puzzle-solving using the elemental abilities. Something along the lines of an adventure game using this kind of a magic system.

I played through very nearly the entire demo with nothing but Haste and Arcane+Fire, the only exceptions being plot-puzzles, healing/shielding, and Jormungand at the end.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 64770)