Zero Punctuation: Minecraft

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Littlelongy:

"That's spelt G-R-A-E-M-E. [Graeme grimaces and scribbles a correction of his own name]"

BZZZT...Repetition of the letter E, Nicholas?

Wow, that was a LOT of cock jokes.

...Funny review, though.

He nailed the essence of minecraft.

I really should study but i'm decorating my underwater Nether Portal glasshouse with lava rivers and working on my rafthouse.

I had a feeling he'd like it. I used to play constantly, but then kinda just stopped. I think I am going to get back into it now.

I think I am just too afraid to turn the monsters on and explore at risk of losing my house D:

Also one of the best things about ZP is reading the comments of the people who post before watching the video.

I spy a reference to "Art of Theft", which was an awesome game, BTW.

Great video!

Playing Minecraft just makes me want to go play Dwarf Fortress.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Seems like a game i'd like.

Is it free, does it have a demo?

Wolfy2449:
Never liked minecraft, really reminded me of facebook applications that socially oblige you to do repetitive pointless stuff both cant be called games

For me its just a typical application that give people the power they dont have in real life, and its the same as real life lego but with zombies...
Seriously, i am too old to play with legos xD

I didn't like it either and I'm still being told by the fanboys (yes I REALLY mean that movie bob) that "OH WELL YOU HATE MINECRAFT BECAUSE YOU HAVE NO IMAGINATION!"

...to which I remind them of everything I've drawn built and programmed

which leads us to douchebag argument #2 which makes NO sense at all

"Well until you can create something BETTER then minecraft and SELLS better then you still have no imagination!"

...so wait

for making games from scratch that aren't very popular
I'm less imaginative
then the person that makes a giant dick out of bricks?

whatever...
**continues to make 3D models to import into a first person shooter he's making**

(PS: stupid recaptcha!)

Jabberwock xeno:
Seems like a game i'd like.

Is it free, does it have a demo?

no it's not free
it's price keeps going up

there is no "demo" but there is a creative mode

unlimited bricks of verying colors and a giant open world to build in

just google search "minecraft classic" if you have any interest

Wow, that sounds so fucking boring. I can't imagine why this game is so popular.

sketchesofpayne:
Playing Minecraft just makes me want to go play Dwarf Fortress.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

*high-fives*

now if only I could play dwarf fortress properly...

have any texture/graphic packs?
the '.' and ',' everywhere get annoying when I'm trying to tell one type from the other

Yay! A Minecraft review.

For those interested.

The Enterprise-D (Which has almost 3 Million views on Youtube) is coming along nicely. We are on deck 10 :D

The_root_of_all_evil:

Littlelongy:

"That's spelt G-R-A-E-M-E. [Graeme grimaces and scribbles a correction of his own name]"

Nope, his spelling is correct. See opening credits:

So Yahtzee, there's this stuff in Minecraft called CHARCOAL, made by burning wood (wood can be used as fuel too!), which means you don't need to frantically search for coal in the ground to avoid being exploded on Night 1.

It took me two weeks to discover this fact, so I share it with you freely.

u need to put up more torches

Rainboq:
I think EVERYONE has tried to build a skull fortress, hence why they are epic...

Now I just need a mod for sharks with laserbeams on their heads.

Speaking of which, I was thinking about getting Minecraft after watching this review. Seeing as how I'm more of a console gamer, where would one go to get Minecraft? It looks really fun

Rainboq:
I think EVERYONE has tried to build a skull fortress, hence why they are epic...

Now I just need a mod for sharks with laserbeams on their heads.

Secondly....."All I ask is for sharks with frickin' laser beams on their heads!! I mean c'mon what do I pay you people for?"

Seriously who doesn't want a shark with a laser beam?

<-- Proud owner of a six-button, wireless-mouse.

I myself couldn't get into Minecraft, which was odd since I'm the artsy type...meh.

Good review nonetheless.

PS. I still love Gary's Mod. :)

I'm surprised the Creepers didn't get a penis comparison, but something about suicide hedge has an awesome ring to it.

After this, I bet Notch can expect a big boom in sales. Yahtzee probably just made him a boat load of money.

ewhac:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Littlelongy:

Ah, out-clevered myself there. I was, of course, referencing Just A Minute, when Graeme Garden is actually more well-known for I'm Sorry, I Haven't A Clue.

Well, on that note, I'll just say "Finchley Central", and under the Trumpton rules, that puts you all in spoo.

<-- Proud owner of a six-button, wireless-mouse.

I myself couldn't get into Minecraft, which was odd since I'm the artsy type...meh.

Good review nonetheless.

PS. I still love Gary's Mod. :)

Well. This I didn't see coming.

The_root_of_all_evil:

ewhac:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Ah, out-clevered myself there. I was, of course, referencing Just A Minute, when Graeme Garden is actually more well-known for I'm Sorry, I Haven't A Clue.

Well, on that note, I'll just say "Finchley Central", and under the Trumpton rules, that puts you all in spoo.

Damn! Now I'm going to have to go via Bond Street since I can't cross the bithagonal lines!

The_root_of_all_evil:

Forgive me for betraying my shocking cultural ignorance, but I've never seen I'm Sorry, I Haven't a Clue. I have, however, seen an awful lot of The Goodies an uncomfortably long time ago.

ewhac:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Forgive me for betraying my shocking cultural ignorance, but I've never seen I'm Sorry, I Haven't a Clue. I have, however, seen an awful lot of The Goodies an uncomfortably long time ago.

Quite difficult really, ISIHAC is radio only AFAIK, but if you are a Goodie afficionado, I would heartily recommend listening to it on Radio 4. Especially Mornington Crescent. Now, I have to work out whether Clapham Junction is a viable move after Bond Street. Are we using the 1918 version, or the 1819 ruleset?

Do you have to buy minecraft? anyway every one at my school goes on about minecraft, but i dont think it is worth it for around 20, as i can buy a proper game, (the ones made by proffesionals) instead of a game made of lego and microsoft exel! I would play if it were free though.

Even Yahtzee got sucked in by Minecraft? That's a little frightening.

This review was unexpected.

Also, I use to be the kind of guy that would go out and find all the materials to build things. But now I'm not. I don't hack though, I think using hacks is a cheap way to play the game. However I did figure out an exploit all on my own to give me infinite resources as long as I have at least one of the resource. It's still slightly time consuming, and I still have to go and find the initial resources. So I don't consider it cheating because I was smart enough to stumble onto something, figure out how to replicate the results and then figure out a way to exploit it even further.

Spinwhiz:
As a side note, this developer will be in this year's March Mayhem, so make sure to vote for him in March!

You can bet I will be there to put in my two cents.

Mcoffey:
Nice. Yeah I think everyone has a "Golden Cock and Balls" story when it comes to minecraft, like when I built a Giant Stone Golem with Glowdust eyes out in front of my castle and to the right of my underwater diamond mine.

... I just realized I have the building preferences of a Super Villain.

When you are splodeybushthing*-proofing your castle, it seems only inevitable it is going to be looking sinister when you are done. I thought I had quite the good thing until I discovered spiders can climb. (I think that came about in a patch after I came on board) So now I have blocks on the walls like spikes to discourage them, along with lavafalls evenly spaced all around.
The sound of the sizzling of skeletons that would otherwise get a lucky potshot** at me is a very satisfying sound.

*:Creepers, but I like Yahtzee's name for them.
**:I don't kid, those things have killed me while trying to jump over a barricade and shooting when they have the most minimum of clearance.

I always kind of figured Yahtzee would hold off on reviewing Minecraft until it was in final release, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Actually, considering the maelstrom of media coverage Minecraft got last year I should be more surprised that it took this long for him to get around to it.

Speaking of maelstroms, best wishes to Yahtzee and the rest of Brisbane in these difficult and floody times. I hope the entertainment district fared better than the retail district, otherwise I guess the Mana Bar is going to need you to buy some more napkins again, eh Yahtzee?

bfwissil:
So Yahtzee, there's this stuff in Minecraft called CHARCOAL, made by burning wood (wood can be used as fuel too!), which means you don't need to frantically search for coal in the ground to avoid being exploded on Night 1.

It took me two weeks to discover this fact, so I share it with you freely.

To be fair I don't think charcoal is more than two weeks old. It was added in a pretty recent update. It does make the first night a whole lot easier though.

Frozengale:

Also, I use to be the kind of guy that would go out and find all the materials to build things. But now I'm not. I don't hack though, I think using hacks is a cheap way to play the game. However I did figure out an exploit all on my own to give me infinite resources as long as I have at least one of the resource. It's still slightly time consuming, and I still have to go and find the initial resources. So I don't consider it cheating because I was smart enough to stumble onto something, figure out how to replicate the results and then figure out a way to exploit it even further.

If you speak of the likes of Cobblestone Generators and Monster Traps, then that isn't exploiting. That's using Minecraft with initiative!

RebellionXXI:
....Speaking of maelstroms, best wishes to Yahtzee and the rest of Brisbane in these difficult and floody times. I hope the entertainment district fared better than the retail district, otherwise I guess the Mana Bar is going to need you to buy some more napkins again, eh Yahtzee?

I am quite glad myself that Yahtzee came out of that okay. Judging from the pictures, it looked like the ocean tried to reach in and take that entire part of the continent away.

The_root_of_all_evil:

ewhac:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Quite difficult really, ISIHAC is radio only AFAIK, but if you are a Goodie afficionado, I would heartily recommend listening to it on Radio 4. Especially Mornington Crescent. Now, I have to work out whether Clapham Junction is a viable move after Bond Street. Are we using the 1918 version, or the 1819 ruleset?

Well, it is the Last Wednesday in January, right? There's your answer right there. Unless you can make a case that the Troubadour Bypass should be in effect, the 1819 ruleset must be enforced.

samsonguy920:

Frozengale:

If you speak of the likes of Cobblestone Generators and Monster Traps, then that isn't exploiting. That's using Minecraft with initiative!

I don't know what a Cobblestone Generator is and no I don't use Monster Traps. It's an exploit that I figured out once Beta came out. I think it's because Notch changed how saving works in the game. I won't say how it works, but you can basically duplicate anything if you know how. Like I now I have over 200 blocks of TNT even though I've only ever crafted 3 things of TNT.

Wait... but... what? He liked it!? My god... the only thing he commented on negatively was the lack of a tutorial. This is a landmark ZP episode, and is very possibly the most revealing proof of Minecraft's greatness so far.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here