Zero Punctuation: Minecraft

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

GamingAwesome1:
A....minecraft review?

Can't say I saw that one coming.

I do agree that Gold as of current needs more usage than just kind of shitty armour and tools.

You can make a clock with it though, which is infinitely helpful but that's about the only thing that's helpful that you can make with gold.

well gold is about as usefull in minecraft as in real life. : p you'd probably have to dig as much to find gold in real life also.

As usual ZP criticises aspects of a game. With games I didn't know they sounded a bit harsh sometimes. Minecraft I do know and every criticism mentioned is so spot on. :-)

Sir John the Net Knight:
My one hope to find one other person who is not bewitched by Minecraft, dashed... I don't think I've played a game quite this pointless since "The Sims". I'm truly disappointed in you Mr. Croshaw. You're the only person who could have given this game the spotlighted drubbing it deserved.

You've gone soft, mate.

gone soft? : p minecraft is really what you make of it. although i've only got about 30 hours of time in minecraft, which is not much for a game, but it was still worth the cash. also there is not really you can bash minecraft for, i mean shure you could say the graphix sucks, but noone is playing the game for the graphics anyways. you also don't really have any other games to compare it with.. and he did say it wasn't really a game, so he can't bash it for beeing a bad game eighter. : p

point is it's a game you like or not. it's not like cod where you can say it's shit because this and that are superior fps games..

Pretty much all the reasons Yahtzee appears to like Minecraft are the reasons I do not like it. I agree with the poster who said it was about as pointless as the Sims. It's a lot of tedium for a hyperpixelated Lego "accomplishment".

I've been trying to ignore my friends who have been pushing Minecraft onto me, and now Yahtzee does a mostly positive review. Why won't the world stop trying to make me play this game?

I hope Yahtzee does Mario All Stars for the Wii and tears Nintendo a new for that extremely lazy port.

I think I'm the first person on the planet to have gotten bored of Minecraft.
Someone help me out here :'(

Is it a good idea to review a beta test version that is over six months from release as if it were a final retail product? I realize he did mention in one obscure sentence that it was a beta, but he could have been more clear, or talked about the current state of the game in the context of it's development history, or just what he wanted to see in the future. I mean, are we going to get another review of the final product when it comes out in December (or whenever)?

Also, another American joke? Or should I say, the same American joke- again? The first ten times I could laugh knowingly, even though it stung a little. Now it's starting to feel forced and insecure.

Despite all my bitching, it was a fun review, as always. It's just easier to nitpick then praise.

Rooster Cogburn:
Is it a good idea to review a beta test version that is over six months from release as if it were a final retail product?

I dont know about it been treated as a finished productm but it certaily has caused such a masive movement in players that I think it does deserve a special review even in its unfinished (and yet already very effective) state.

Rooster Cogburn:
Also, another American joke? Or should I say, the same American joke- again? The first ten times I could laugh knowingly, even though it stung a little. Now it's starting to feel forced and insecure.

Well, it will only stop being funny when it stops being true. ;)

Man... Minecraft is one of the very few things that temps me to upgrade my laptop. I can't run TF2 on minimum without losing framerate so I know there's no way I could run this. I'm already in college to become an engineer so I know I'd spend forever building useless shit yet still have way too much fun doing it.

I love how you were content to bash America, Yahtzee, as somehow ignorant of those massive floods when they've been covered extensively on our News Stations. Meanwhile, massive donation drives have sprung up to funnel endless billions of dollars we don't have(courtesy of our president who seems to believe he's the Orphan Annie and America is Daddy Warbucks) into relief efforts and reconstruction initiatives to make sure that Australia gets back on its feet properly! I've always enjoyed how foreign nationals seem to believe that America is some sort of self-centered tyrant that sprays jets of gluey testosterone over the faces of submissive countries while they, meanwhile, continue to lap up the massive billions of humanitarian money from this country.

However, I figured that being a fan of your series, I guess what I'm SUPPOSED to do is take a page out of your book and join in on the scoffing and the hatred.

So being American I shall direct it toward you! *ahem*

[sarcasm]Why should we help out your weak little country, Yahtzee? If anything, it should be a GOOD THING that Australia's getting more water than it normally has! Afterall, about ninety percent of it is a massive desert as it is! The other nine percent of it are BEACHES! So ninety-nine percent of your country consists of SAND, which we all know Darth Vader hates(therefore that means that he'll FINALLY visit his wrath upon your country/continent). The rest is a population of millions squeezed into too little land with only two national icons, one of which was killed by a stingray(may he rest in peace) and a Koala bear that was satirized in a shallow American-made parody level of THUG 2.[/sarcasm]

P. S. I really did enjoy your Minecraft review. Open-ended sandbox games are probably my favorite genre of RPG, afterall, and the endless freedom to do whatever you'd like has always been a big draw for me. Hell, it made me enjoy TWO WORLDS somewhat...at times...kinda.

I haven't played Minecraft Alpha yet, but I'm still pretty proud of my huge mining complex, man-made mountain and giant Pikachu sprite I made in Classic :P
I'll probably go and buy Alpha after I get paid this week. Nice review, Yahtzee!

What is sad is that I saw one of my friends attempt to make a huge golden...... yep. But I am so addicted to that game now. I have spent more than 30 hours on that game and I just got it last Thursday.

Yet another class rofl review,thanks yahtzee.

It's uncanny but I think I can safely buy only games that Yahtzee likes i seem to have the same taste as him.

Being an American, I actually did know about the flooding in Brisbane (even donated what little I could to help out). Not saying much, and even I think most Americans are xenophobic self absorbed assholes. But some Americans are kinda alright. Although that might just be my bias of being one.

ovset:
Yahtzee lost of his credibility with this review. Minecraft is just another boring grindfest hidden behind the fact that you can build stuff with blocks. In other words, garbage.

Lt.Reck:
I realize the United states isn't perfect but for the love of god can you stop with side bashing for at least one episode. I like your reviews but i don't care for hearing how the U.S. is the worst country in your opinion every Wednesday.

But it's such low hanging fruit, which comedian wouldn't use it?

It's like the jokes about Canadians which non Americans do not get that are used all the time in sitcoms.

Skull with lava tears = epic

coldfrog:
a mobile of the Old Gods

I wholeheartedly support this idea. Might give our future spawn nightmares, though.

PoisonUnagi:

Actually, I get bored of it every once in a while, too. Especially after losing all my items after getting a bunch of high grade pickaxes. >_>

I think Yahtzee has done the best job describing Minecraft I have ever seen. He really hit the nail on the head with this episode.

PoisonUnagi:

If you know any friends with it, make a server for usage, then you can use server mods etc. to make REALLY cool things with a bit more ease.

Sir John the Net Knight:
My one hope to find one other person who is not bewitched by Minecraft, dashed... I don't think I've played a game quite this pointless since "The Sims". I'm truly disappointed in you Mr. Croshaw. You're the only person who could have given this game the spotlighted drubbing it deserved.

You've gone soft, mate.

Yahtzee is too much of a creative person to NOT like minecraft. So he would have been the last person to find minecraft boring.

Russian_Assassin:
I liked the closing comment about the staring sheep xD

No but seriously, those animals are creepy :S

That's why I set the forest on fire. i like the sound of the we critters burning. And yes I am American.

A big thank you to Yahtzee for furthering the world's knowledge of the existence of New Zealand.
OT: always nice to see a review of a game/creative device with more substance and innovation than simply sticking a hat on a storm trooper clone and calling it a revolutionary gaming experience.

GamingAwesome1:
You can make a c(l)ock with it though, which is infinitely helpful but that's about the only thing that's helpful that you can make with gold.

Fixed it for you. :D

Actually, gold is excellent as a vanity item. I'd like it to stay the way it is. If we could build mannequins, perhaps, it would make a bit more sense to use gold.
It has a very realistic portrayal, I think... You spend dozens upon dozens of hours trying to acquire fucktons of material that is, not only found very deep underground, but also very rare (not to mention useless), to build a giant cock.
I like that somehow. It should stay as it is because I think it's quite unique to Minecraft. You have this useless thing you're supposed to bust your ass to get, with which you get nothing, yet everyone strives to stockpile it and do shit with it.

Retardinator once tried to build a golden tower, but couldn't find any gold.

Kurt Horsting:
Being an American, I actually did know about the flooding in Brisbane (even donated what little I could to help out). Not saying much, and even I think most Americans are xenophobic self absorbed assholes. But some Americans are kinda alright. Although that might just be my bias of being one.

Now I hate xenophobia as much as the next guy, but I just think some of these things should be taken with a grain of salt. I know America isn't full of arrogant prats, hell some of my good friends are American, and I think most rational people are probably aware of that. I just think things like Yahtzee says are intended as being humorous without malicious intent. For example, i get annoyed when someone puts down New Zealand with malice aforethought, but I just laugh it off when we're jokingly referred to as hobbits or sheep shaggers. It's just lighthearted jabs. All I'm asking of those willing to listen is please do not be too offended by quips and gags which are intended harmlessly. Perhaps learning to laugh at ourselves is the first step towards resolving so many of the needless conflicts in the world today.

Singularly Datarific:

PoisonUnagi:

If you know any friends with it, make a server for usage, then you can use server mods etc. to make REALLY cool things with a bit more ease.

I used to frequent a server with shit-tons of servermods, but I got bored of even that. Nothing can keep people entertained forever.

Minecraft is an evil pit of time waste!

qeinar:

Sir John the Net Knight:

You've gone soft, mate.

gone soft? : p minecraft is really what you make of it. although i've only got about 30 hours of time in minecraft, which is not much for a game, but it was still worth the cash. also there is not really you can bash minecraft for, i mean shure you could say the graphix sucks, but noone is playing the game for the graphics anyways. you also don't really have any other games to compare it with.. and he did say it wasn't really a game, so he can't bash it for beeing a bad game eighter. : p

point is it's a game you like or not. it's not like cod where you can say it's shit because this and that are superior fps games..

At what point did I say the game was shit? I said it was pointless, in that it lacks a goal. Like anything Wil Wright made. And I certainly wasn't judging it on graphics, although they are definitely running that Wolfenstein 3D engine to it's max potential.

Frankly, I just don't like the game. And I feel disappointed that I am the only person on the 3rd wad of dirt from the sun that didn't like it. I don't intend to question it's merits. But if I am not enjoying it, then why bother? It's just nice to know that someone else out there feels like me. Especially in the ocean of fanboys that this site is.

JoelChenFA:
Yahtzee is too much of a creative person to NOT like minecraft. So he would have been the last person to find minecraft boring.

I'm a creative person, or I'd like to think so. Maybe I'm just not the architectural-mind frame. I have to say I was once a big fan of Sim City games. But to me, keeping a city running, gauging the voice of the populace and balancing the needs while maintaining growth, is more of a challenge. The only real challenge in Minecraft is creating an efficient perch from which to snipe creepers so they don't blow up my house. A goal that I finished very, very early on.

From there it's just legos, and I never had any of those growing up.

Good review, I like Yahtzees name for the creepers.

I love Minecraft its so fun and worth the money...its a game that's constantly changing and evolving and has so much custom stuff for it...its better than paying 60 bucks for regular games that have like 6hours play time.

mik hardcore:

Kurt Horsting:
*snip*

*snip*

I'm not offended, and I know its a joke. I'm just sayin'.

Is it wrong that after watching this that I think it would be funny to place a giant golden cock in my Minecraft world?

that just means you need more light!
woops that was the reply button and not the quote.
anyway, seasoned minecraft players will probably realize I'm talking about how to avoid spawns in your buildings

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here