Zero Punctuation: Minecraft

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Wow, Minecraft? I've only heard of it, never bothered to download it though I might now (sort of like fable with fanboys :))
Anyways I thought if he ever did a free mmo that he would hate it, but I guess not... Now I'm actually wondering if he would hate runescape or not?
(crowd of people) Noooooooo! runescape sucks. I can't believe anyone even plays that.etc.etc...
Anyways, I still think he would hate it, but it might be funny.

p.s. I'm I still the only one that thinks it'd be funny if he reviewed a pokemon game?

Kurt Horsting:

mik hardcore:

Kurt Horsting:
*snip*

*snip*

I'm not offended, and I know its a joke. I'm just sayin'.

Fair enuf. I quoted you, but I'm referring to anyone who may have been offended and who voiced their concern on this thread. No disrespect intended.

Yeah this game is pretty awesome. Me and my friends payed for it and have a server that we just mess around on. We turned monsters off and use give [name] [resource#] quite a bit lol, but then we couldn't really do the stuff we wanted to do if we had to actually get the resources. I find making shit to be the funnest part of this game, like my 2 way automated minecart ride.

And blowing up large sections of land with TnT is always a hoot.

Yep, those creepers are a curse sent from the bowels of hell to be sure. :P Just wait untill you're digging for the near impossible diamond and searching great caverns the size of switzerland just to find said shiny minerals.. only so you can make a pickaxe.. to mine the hard to make and not die Obsidian.. only to open a gate to hell itself you have to make precisely.. and then step through to die from giant flying ghosts that cause you to combust when they greet you. :P

Damn it minecraft is just so good...... too bad my shitty laptop only lets me play it on tiny rendering so I always end up lost... grr.

Oh and those damn damn damn damn damn creepers!!!

Ah minecraft furthering the borders of epic epicness!

Been playing since the alpha and finally, finally got my hands on some of the rarer resources (I freakin strip mined a couple worlds to the frakking bedrock till might Notch had pity on me).

So now I'm taking the reasonable route and making and obsidian portal to the nether..... in the shape of a stargate.

.....it's just how my mind works.

Also I would like to jump on the "the america jokes are getting old" I've been able to laugh at a fair few of them, but at some point it just hits "oh... good another one". Like a crappy top 10 list from letterman or some such. Like any other joke, it's best when it's well timed. The COD:BLOPs bit about the US having a war hard on? Well timed and amusing even to a veteran, on a subject even I joke about when I find a way to make light of it (see avatar). Repeating it every week kills that timing and just makes it tired and lame.

The whole gold being retardedly useless for how much effort is put into getting is actually a nice commentary on real life in my opinion. We claim to be so evolved and then put super high value on shiny objects.

I love every single one of the probation-summoning posts near the beginning of the thread. All four of them said the exact same thing with the same high-horse punctuation I'm so very found of using myself.

"Please watch the entire video before posting." is the "first!" of the anal-retentive...

...except better than because it comes with a dash of irony that they're being punished for the very advice that they aren't following in their own post.

What were we talking about? Right: Minecraft. I've yet to try it out. Boosh!

Edit: And I won't be any time soon. I will NOT be paying ~$20 (American) for a BETA version of a game. Except, I guess, whenever I buy a Triple-A (AAA) console game. No wait... I buy them when when they ARE ~$20 (American) because I wait a full year and by then all the fixes have come out; so I DO get the final re-anyone want a pizza roll?

And don't say that there's a free version, I went reading up and the free version is a package of Minecraft's game mechanics without the "game" part. If I wanted to just build stuff, I'd break out my... I'm 26 and still have my big box of LEGO pieces. I've had this box longer than I've owned any of the cars of owned... or all of them combined.

And then when I was eighteen I used a CAD program to make facsimiles of them. Isn't learning fun?

Point is, I'm not paying 20 dollars until a final product is released... or... has been released for a year. Incidentally, the ending of Assassin's Creed 2 was pretty awesome, right?

Way to remind me I haven't seen clay around for a hot minute... and obviouslyYahtzee figured this out by now, but furnace rooms cover the fact that they take forever quite nicely when 18 of them are chugging out iron/bricks/whatever at once. What else are you going to use all that coal for?

unacomn:
The skull bit gave me an idea. I usually just try to build stuff that's undercover. I once made a mansion underwater, that required the displacing of every cube of water in the area, on by one, since I don't know a better method. It turned out great. The downside was I couldn't find it if I went to far away. So I built a tall tower with a lava lamp on top of it.

They they added sea creatures and I did it all over again.

yeah it sucks to make underwater stuff :P but its awesome when its done :D made a mini stadion underwater entirely made out of glass :D was awesome ^^ until some friends ruined it with TNT -.-

Is there a free version or do I have to fork out my hard earned simolians?

Creepers...why did there have to be creepers...I did enjoy him refering to them as shrubs though xD

Gavmando:
Is there a free version or do I have to fork out my hard earned simolians?

http://www.minecraft.net/play.jsp
Outdated but free.

As the peanuts continue to roll across the f9 key, I realized you have finally succumb and sold out.

A very funny review, thanks yahtzee.

@ all those screaming SELL OUT! and Minecraft is crap!
look up MovieBob's the big picture for this week, hey just click here
Stop being arses.

now if you don't mind I have to go help carve imperial city out on the north of our minecraft map, after having spent 8 and a half hours helping build this.
Yes, that is an very large obsidean pyramid, and yes, we casted it from lava buckets hauled up from the depths of the earth.

Does anyone know if Notch has any plans on adding a feature to cut a block to four smaller blocks, or something like that? I'd like to build a lot smaller stuff, but right now it's impossible.

Woohoo! Yahtzee approves! But to be honest, its hard to find things wrong with it (now that I said that, someone will probably make a list). Even once you finish your goal, its shocking how fast you find another one. Also there are programs like INVedit that DOES give you all the stuff you need/want, but unless you're building some sort of super project, its not worth it, it cuts off half the construction time, and half the enjoyment.

Guess I'll be giving this a go...thought it was the next Farmville but if Yahtzee can like it, who am I to judge before trying? Thanks for the great laughs :)

P.S. Pretty sure only 1 or 2 EBGames got hit badly actually

The "that means I can go back inside and keep playing MINECRAFT" tone in which the last word was stated was joyous to me.

I wish college would end already so I could start building a giant head of Josef Stalin with a golden mustache already.

Great Yahtzee... First Extra Credits gets me sucked into Echo Bazaar and now you get me sucked into Minecraft. I even want to buy the game so I can work on building the ulitmate Hobbit hole so I will officially be a hobbit (my last name has Hill in it and I'm short with big feet so you get the idea XD) Hopefully this time I won't flood it like I did in the free game. XD

I am a little tired of hearing about Minecraft so I wasn't really excited about this review when I saw it this weeks video but it was at least quite a funny review - good episode.

Sir John the Net Knight:
My one hope to find one other person who is not bewitched by Minecraft

/ Raises hand.

Look no further.

qbanknight:

jck4332:
Fucking creepers.

Seriously fuck creepers, those things keep spawning in my castle and force me to repair my second floor

They spawn where there is darkness, so spam torches every 4 blocks.

I had heard of Minecraft before, but had not put much weight on it. It didn't sound hugely appealing (just Lego's on my computer). Well after the review I decided to give it a go. I wasn't about to pay for it, so I went with the free CLASSIC mode.

I first built a house expecting to hide from monsters, till I realized that they were in the BETA version. Then I started digging under the house till I fell into some caves. At that point I decided what my house needed was a BAT-CAVE. So I started building nice walls and tunnels before I accidentally discovered lava behind one wall. After watching as the Bat-Cave filled with lava, I decided to return to the surface.

It finally hit me what I should do: The one thing every nerd eventually realizes what they should do. I immediately began making giant statues of NES sprites (Particularly proud of Mega Man). Four statues later (Mario, Mega Man, Kirby and Link), and one very bored girlfriend (who has now fallen asleep), I finally resigned for the night, tired, but satisfied.

Tomorrow, Samus Aran!

Oh, you didn't get anything yet, yahtzee. You then have to mine some diamond to mine the godly pickax, sword, and armor, and then pour some water on some lava to make onyx, mine it, then make it into a rectangular doorway and set it on fire to enter...THE NETHER. There you can find netherstone, which burns infinitely, so you won't have to worry about re-lighting fires. After that you just dick around.
Oh right, and onyx takes a long time to mine. Like, 30 seconds.
Also, each step in the Nether=10 steps in the regular game world.

(Ignore this.)

captainjackofms:
I had heard of Minecraft before, but had not put much weight on it. It didn't sound hugely appealing (just Lego's on my computer). Well after the review I decided to give it a go. I wasn't about to pay for it, so I went with the free CLASSIC mode.

I first built a house expecting to hide from monsters, till I realized that they were in the BETA version. Then I started digging under the house till I fell into some caves. At that point I decided what my house needed was a BAT-CAVE. So I started building nice walls and tunnels before I accidentally discovered lava behind one wall. After watching as the Bat-Cave filled with lava, I decided to return to the surface.

It finally hit me what I should do: The one thing every nerd eventually realizes what they should do. I immediately began making giant statues of NES sprites (Particularly proud of Mega Man). Four statues later (Mario, Mega Man, Kirby and Link), and one very bored girlfriend (who has now fallen asleep), I finally resigned for the night, tired, but satisfied.

Tomorrow, Samus Aran!

Sooooooooo many people have thought of that before you.

It's nice to know that Yatzee likes minecraft too, but I hope we get another review once it's out of Beta... Provided the game is still good.

It's ironic that I'm actually using minecraft to build a fun-fortress, to have fun on... But I suppose the building is still fun. My project is to have fun.

i spent like 2 weeks on "Operation Stargate" witch was a bedrock to as high as you can go i was planing a hell portal but after all that time i couldn't find the Obsidian. ahhh mincraft you are a heartless bitch

I want the BDSM imps on a tshirt. It's oh so wrong.

Madara XIII:

Rainboq:
I think EVERYONE has tried to build a skull fortress, hence why they are epic...

Now I just need a mod for sharks with laserbeams on their heads.

Speaking of which, I was thinking about getting Minecraft after watching this review. Seeing as how I'm more of a console gamer, where would one go to get Minecraft? It looks really fun

Google Minecraft

would i be wrong in saying that this sounds like Yahtzee's most warmly reviewed game since portal...?
0.0 can it be so?!

I wish i had the time to play minecraft. sounds like a pretty steep learning curve, but also a TON of fun.

I can definitely see the allure of Minecraft. I played it for a while, but I need more game and less builder.

When it comes to these indie builder games, I'm a much bigger fan of Dwarf Fortress. You can build some crazy things in that game too, but it has a nicely fleshed out game backing it up that keeps it interesting and challenging.

Fronzel:
Wow, no rage at all.

It's because Yahtzee really enjoy sandbox games.

No matter how utterly pointless they are.

Minecraft has finally nudged World of Warcraft and the Civ series off the top of my list of digital crack cocaine, it is seriously the most addictive thing I've played in ages... it's someone distilled every addictive computer game down to a slightly blocky needle full of awesome.

I saw a youtube vid of Minecraft a while back and thought it looked quite... well... stupid. But it appealled to me in a wierd way that I couldn't place my finger on. So I bought a copy. I've played pretty much nothing but Minecraft and very little else for the past 2 months LOL!

I suspect I need to check myself into a clinic...

Thanks for the review!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or