Preview: Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Preview: Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

What are guns doing in my medieval war simulator?

Read Full Article

There were already guns in modulation packs, but I also love this game in a somewhat disturbing manner. Best 10 bucks I've spent in a long time, when M&B and M&B:Warband were 85% off on steam :D

Nice to see they are moving forward, but hopefully they do it well.

Can't wait to see how this turns out, I love Warband hopefully this only improves on it

I bought M&B early during the beta and played it disturbingly much, but I've never tried Warband. I'm always suspicious about adding firearms to a mostly melee-based game. Like how PVK is ruined. People who don't see it as a problem always present the "Well yeah but if you get close to them, they're dead!"-argument. There's the "if" in that sentence, meaning there's a propability of you dying before you even have a chance of fighting back. Dying to something like that, even if your team wins the battle in the end, doesn't make for good and fun gameplay.

Then again, they already did two games with no guns, so I guess it's okay if they make one with them, even if it happens to suck.

Hmmm i just hope they take out the "begging for babies" aspect of recruitment, i didn't like traveling halfway across the damn continent rounding men up.

course the reloading will give the gunpowder weapons a weakness, i reckon players will begin to use them as one-shot shotguns before legging it away to reload if they can.

Pandalisk:
Hmmm i just hope they take out the "begging for babies" aspect of recruitment, i didn't like traveling halfway across the damn continent rounding men up.

There's a mod called Diplomacy that fixes that, you need your own town or castle (not village). Then you can appoint a guy that recruits troops for you, up to 50 at a time.

OT: The Mount and Blade series is so good and fresh that in my mind they can't do anything wrong. I'd buy the next one ahead of any other game I could think of.
Well, maybe not ahead of KOTOR 3 if that ever happens...

Deadly. Just finished up a run through of warband. The change to a historical period is a little disappointing but whatever I have faith

BTW Poland, Ukraine, Sweden and Russia are north eastern Europe not western. Western is France moving to Portugal and central is around Germany.

Looks pretty cool =3 Will probably buy it since I liked M&B + M&B Warbands.

edit: Wait... you can play as Swedes? AWESOME! =3

Johnnyallstar:
There were already guns in modulation packs, but I also love this game in a somewhat disturbing manner. Best 10 bucks I've spent in a long time, when M&B and M&B:Warband were 85% off on steam :D

Nice to see they are moving forward, but hopefully they do it well.

Couldn't say it much better.

I wasn't too excited for MB Fire & Sword, but the new setting and expanded strategy stuff looks like its enough of a change to pry me from MB:WB

Awesome can't wait! I loved the original Mount and Blade and i love Mount and Blade: Warband and i'm sure i'll love this. Another thing i would like them to add is the ability to have children so that if your planning on starting your own kingdom and becoming king you could get married have a queen and pop out little princelings. Is there a release date set yet?

Played M&B & Warbands to death & beyond, so wont pretend I'm not interested to hear this. Hope the strong mod support continues as they were central to increasing the games longevity & fixing bugs.

Wait it's finally translated to English? I've been waiting forever for this. The adaption of By Fire and Sword is one my favourite foreign movies of all time. This summer I watched the entire >12 hour trilogy.

Hell yes, this looks awesome. Heck, any more M&B is a good thing.

This is excellent. Warband is a great game, and my gripes with it were very little (sparse campaign map, dumb-as-hell lords, poor interface in parts). This looks like it could be everything I wanted in Mount and Blade.

You had me at more mount and blade. Adding guns? Sounds like a plan.

SaunaKalja:
I bought M&B early during the beta and played it disturbingly much, but I've never tried Warband. I'm always suspicious about adding firearms to a mostly melee-based game. Like how PVK is ruined. People who don't see it as a problem always present the "Well yeah but if you get close to them, they're dead!"-argument. There's the "if" in that sentence, meaning there's a propability of you dying before you even have a chance of fighting back. Dying to something like that, even if your team wins the battle in the end, doesn't make for good and fun gameplay.

Then again, they already did two games with no guns, so I guess it's okay if they make one with them, even if it happens to suck.

Theres a musket mod for Warband, melee still plays a pretty big role.

Wasn't Mount and Blade the game where they said they'd add all these things if we brought it early and then went and made new add ons into standalone packs instead?

Because i'm pretty sure it was, and it's bugging me

Oooh, I've lost so many hours to warband and the associated mods, I can hardly wait for this new one! Kinda sad my personal faves, the Rhodok, won't be in, but historical accuracy can be fun too.

More interested in the 'inevitable sequel' part.
Wonder when will it reach the World War era.

So a proper game version of Mount and Musket? sounds fun.

Well, just when the amount of time I spend playing Warband was slowing down a bit... Still, I'm very excited about this. They already showed in the change from M&B to Warband that they do improve many things, sometimes tiny little aspects. And I did have complaints about how routine besieging a castle is, even if it's still fun. Has anyone ever waited the whole 30 days for them to run out of food?
From the improvements I've heard, I'm excited about this game.
Hopefully they add some easier way to increase your relation with villages as well. I am lord of one with a relation of -100, because when it was the enemies I kinda picked on it with the raiding...
Oh, and inevitable sequel. Yay!

I skipped Warband, but I spent a ludicrous amount of time playing the original and its mods. The features mentioned in this game seem to be beyond what any mod has been able to achieve to far, so I'm certainly going to give this a go.

I loved M&B and Warband, along with the many mods that there were for each of them. Adding gunpowder to the mix will make things much more interesting. True, mods have been doing this for as long as the game has been out, but with the devs working on it, some small things that mods couldn't work out should be polished, and make it another great stepping stone for better even mods.

Polish troops? Winged Hussars? Can M+B support a 20,000 strong cavalry charge? Can I break the siege of Vienna as Jan III Sobieski? Because that would be awesome...

Sounds good. I guess it was inevitable they make the switch to gunpowder-based weapons, but I know I'll probably still just end up riding around with a big-ass sword.

i'll miss the fantasy setting as well. Oh well, if the gameplay is still as wicked as the past to mount and blades, i'm in.

I love the Mount & Blade games, will definitely play M&B: With Fire and Sword.

I loved warband.

I thought Fire and Sword wasn't ever going to go English so this is awesome.

I will buy this if they have the Polish Winged Husaria the mightiest cavalry ever to descend upon human history!!!! Truely there is nothing more grand nothing more majestic the might of HUSARIA!!!
NOW GAZE UPON POLISH GLORY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9x5ADYWXeo

And this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjZH68CBXRQ&feature=related

Educate yourselves realize that Poland is the best !

PS Can I play as a Husaria in this? :D

Make a fantasy game already!

I love Mount and Blade and this looks good.

At first i was like oh man they should totally make a US faction, but then i decided that it would be ridiculous for a couple of reasons. first it would pretty much destroy any historical accuracy they would be going for. second if there was a US faction then i would probably just recruit out of that faction and not even bother learning about the other ones, and lastly and probably most importantly its time for me to grow up and stop masturbating at the thought of the us army kicking ass throughout the past present and future.

Holy shit! AWESOME! You can use cannons now for siege? PLEASE TELL ME YOU CAN USE CANNONS!!! I hate having all my troops get bunched up on that damned ladder and I can't get to the top.

I will probably buy this the instant it comes out, since I had such a good time with the original Mount&Blade. Although I was really disappointed with Taleworlds when they wanted 40 euros for Warband, which was at best just a update.

I am looking forward to this. But yes i also want a fantasy version. Its like real time action Heroes of might and magic.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here