Review: Breach

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Review: Breach

Just out of Breach.

Read Full Article

All those puns, I think I may have to Breach out and smack you for them.

KEM10:

Is it bad that my lasting memory of this review will also be the puns?

I have to admit that the destruct-o scenery sounds pretty cool, and would be awesome within the framework of a more polished shooter. I'm currently catching up with the Killzone 2 party and while it sort of has destuctable scenery, it's only cosmetic, and that wall you keep shooting holes in is never going to fall down.

The hit detection is off? Damn. So it suffers from Black Ops problems. I might get it none-the-less.

Well this review pretty much confirms that from all of the awesome trailers and entertaining interviews this is a true "fall of breach".

see what I did there?

rees263:

KEM10:

Is it bad that my lasting memory of this review will also be the puns?

I have to admit that the destruct-o scenery sounds pretty cool, and would be awesome within the framework of a more polished shooter. I'm currently catching up with the Killzone 2 party and while it sort of has destuctable scenery, it's only cosmetic, and that wall you keep shooting holes in is never going to fall down.

The problem lies somewhere between an overwhelming reviewer and an underwhelming game. And I don't remember Steve Butts to have been too over the top in his other reviews.

So this game is just Breaching off the genre? Meh
It doesn't even look as good as MW2

I wanted to try this out because of the destruction, and when you actually get to destroy things it actually works really well.

But there are a lot of hit detection problems, the movement is sluggish, the maps don't always seem geared towards destruction, which is the primary selling point so it seems odd the maps ignore that.

Oh well... only a few more days until Dead Space 2.

I was looking forward to this game, and I was a bit worried about it when they changed the release date from last summer to now. Awesome concepts, but it's coming at a terrible time. and Homefront comes out in just over a month. What's the point? I think someone should Breach Atomic how to make games!

I had a major WTF moment as i confused this game with Brink.

Ah well there goes the Third from last Multilayer FPS To get excited about.. Only to be kicked in the face at last minute.

Now all i Have to do is wait for Homefront to come out and be a Battlefield Knock-off [not saying that it is] And Brink to come out and... be.. somehow rubbish?
Maybe Even The Almighty Bethesda aren't out of the [B]reach of the collision detection faeries and the Lag Gremlins.

Another Pun:
Halo: Breach?

Eww...

That kid stole a piece of shit, after all.

Think I'll download the Costume Quest expansion.

Didn't Bad Company and Bad Company 2 already do the whole destructible environments? In fact they did. So you're saying this game has 0 innovation and isn't polished at all?

Papa don't breach, LOL... You cracked me up with this one :)

Oh, well. I guess we'll always have Homefront.

Frostbite3789:
Didn't Bad Company and Bad Company 2 already do the whole destructible environments? In fact they did. So you're saying this game has 0 innovation and isn't polished at all?

And Bad Company did it really well...I don't get why everyone is so thrilled about their new system...it's a breach of a game*.

* I suck at puns. Shutting up.

I think it'll be a good game. I'll try it at least, cause its not the same crap we've been force-fed since last year. Sure people complain "Oh it has the same load-out stuff like COD or the destructable enviroments like Bad Company". But ya gotta think, isn't that becoming the Military FPS standard at this point? Heck, COD is copying ITSELF by using the same format every game (A format that seems to work and sell the game well). I basically just think that people should give it a chance, cause basing a review or comparing against the other 'Top selling' Military FPS games is kinda biased. Maybe it's like counterstrike, some people will enjoy it simply because it's not one of those top sellers and others will go back to playing COD.

Edit: Plus it might be a good game that reviewers have a stick up their butt about. Kinda like how Black Ops had pretty much 99% bad reviews at first, and yet a large portion of gamers still bought and still enjoyed it.

Those animations were downright embarrassing.

SteewpidZombie:
I think it'll be a good game. I'll try it at least, cause its not the same crap we've been force-fed since last year. Sure people complain "Oh it has the same load-out stuff like COD or the destructable enviroments like Bad Company". But ya gotta think, isn't that becoming the Military FPS standard at this point? Heck, COD is copying ITSELF by using the same format every game (A format that seems to work and sell the game well). I basically just think that people should give it a chance, cause basing a review or comparing against the other 'Top selling' Military FPS games is kinda biased. Maybe it's like counterstrike, some people will enjoy it simply because it's not one of those top sellers and others will go back to playing COD.

Edit: Plus it might be a good game that reviewers have a stick up their butt about. Kinda like how Black Ops had pretty much 99% bad reviews at first, and yet a large portion of gamers still bought and still enjoyed it.

Are you kidding? Black Ops has an average in the high 80s for all systems on Meta-critic. Reviewers loved it. If anything, gamers were far more critical than reviewers.

There are only three mixed scores, the lowest of which is 70. 70!

For user reviews, there's more than half as many negative reviews as positive. People gave it zeros!

Looks like Warhawk meets Bad company.

Shame it sucks dried donkey ass turd.

SteewpidZombie:

No, it's just not that great, when compared to other shooters and on its own merits. If you want to try it out for yourself then go ahead, but I was really under impressed with what I saw when we did the video capture. During the video, he unloads on that guy in the back with a shotgun and the game only finally registers the last hit, such a fundamental mechanic needs to be at 100%.

And also your argument is that it isn't the same crap we've been force-fed since last year, but that it has to include all the same elements that have become a standard in this genre? Those two statements are conflicting with each other.

I wonder if one should consider the state of the studio that has dished out this game.

That is. Loss of financial backing as well as loss of manpower, thus making the task of creating a refined videogame all the more difficult.

Think of it like this. What would happen of Breach could come out backed under a large company's name, coming out as a large name title as opposed to a smaller named game which one could now mark off as a sort of indie game (and by indie standard, it's pretty damn huge... Plus, they technically do count as indie, since they're a newly founded company with no clear backing, thus independent.)

Think. If this game had one more year of work on it, a full campaign and a team about two to ten times larger then they are right now rather then then salvaging material from a previously made game that's a few years old to begin with.

How polished would the game be? Also, consider the time when this game was meant to come out. At the time, this would've been quite gripping to many.

But, I doubt many would take that under consideration. Does it alter the facts of what Breach presents today? no, not really. But it adds context.

Huh...that's funny. I swear I could do just about all the same demolition things in BFBD 2.

Blowing up walls to kill enemies on the other side. Check.
Collapsing buildings on top of your enemies. Check.

I dunno, I tried the demo and it looked good. It got pulled out from Brazilian Live the very next day though. MICROSOOOOOOOOOFT

The shotgun's pretty crappy though, mostly because most of the action in the game happens at mid distance and further. Not sure if that's the hitbox error complaint, but I'm willing to trust the opinion of a guy who does it for a living, and also presumably played for longer than the half hour I was alloted.

Captcha: stionsfu RIPOR. I don't even

So breach, the only redeeming thing about it is that it can have destructive environments. What a shocker!

Its not like the red faction series has done these or bad company, how original.

From the trailers I've watched and the information I've learnt about Atomic Games, I think that Breach was a poor attempt by the studio to recoup some of the losses they incurred. The mechanics of the game (taking cover, destructible scenery) sound like they were developed for a game that strived for 'realism', rather than the run-and-gun gameplay that dominates today's FPS market. Combined with the lack of resources, we get a poorly polished Bad Company clone.

It's a shame too, I was looking forward to something like Six Days in Fallujah.

I think 'Red Faction 1/2/3' all did the whole 'blow the environments to hell' better than any other series I can think of, when it comes to shooters.

Testsubject909:
I wonder if one should consider the state of the studio that has dished out this game.

That is. Loss of financial backing as well as loss of manpower, thus making the task of creating a refined videogame all the more difficult.

Think of it like this. What would happen of Breach could come out backed under a large company's name, coming out as a large name title as opposed to a smaller named game which one could now mark off as a sort of indie game (and by indie standard, it's pretty damn huge... Plus, they technically do count as indie, since they're a newly founded company with no clear backing, thus independent.)

Think. If this game had one more year of work on it, a full campaign and a team about two to ten times larger then they are right now rather then then salvaging material from a previously made game that's a few years old to begin with.

How polished would the game be? Also, consider the time when this game was meant to come out. At the time, this would've been quite gripping to many.

But, I doubt many would take that under consideration. Does it alter the facts of what Breach presents today? no, not really. But it adds context.

Excellent point. I might buy this game just to help them out. Also because I like the Heckler & Koch USP .45, and that is in this game.

Breacharound?
rly?

So...Basically it's a less polished version of Bad Company 2, with worse hit detection problems than Bad Company 2 has.

I'll stick to Bad Company 2.

That's the engine they were going to try and re-create the Battle of Fallujah with? Maybe it's for the best that it didn't get made.

I already made the mistake of buying another indie mulitplayer-only FPS, Blacklight, so I wont be doing it again with this one, especially after reviews like this. The price may be low and good for what you get, but ultimately, no matter how cheap, it feels pointless and wasteful. Why bother playing YET ANOTHER generic shooter? There are too many of them these days and none of them really stand apart from eachother. I don't understand why an emerging indie dev would waste their time trying to breach the already bloated samey military FPS market (lord forgive me for that pun). It seems like a poor way to get noticed, unless they do something breathtakingly different, which is rather difficult to do in that genre.

The other thing is, with multiplayer-only games such as this, being able to enjoy them is HIGHLY dependent on there being a good and active community behind them. With even AAA titles these days seeing multiplayer ghost towns within a month or two of release, I don't have much confidence in these smaller titles. It's kind of a catch 22 of course. In order for such a community to develop, you need a lot of people to go out and start playing the game before a community exists, and then keep playing the game so the community can grow. Most people don't have the dedication to do this unless the game is really THAT amazing, which happens once in a blue moon.

practice what you breach
bow chicka...wait nvm

so...yeah. seeing the video title before clicking I was thinking Halo BREACH aha jk and then I saw the end of it. very punny

Bad reviews and scant community? I guess you could say this game... is a breached whale.

I thought this was about Brink at first. When I got to the part about it being terrible, I was shocked

Drof:
Ah well there goes the Third from last Multilayer FPS To get excited about.. Only to be kicked in the face at last minute.

Now all i Have to do is wait for Homefront to come out and be a Battlefield Knock-off [not saying that it is] And Brink to come out and... be.. somehow rubbish?
Maybe Even The Almighty Bethesda aren't out of the [B]reach of the collision detection faeries and the Lag Gremlins.

i have the same expectations. :p brink i think is eighter going to be fantastic or it's going to suck.. let's hope for it to be fantastic. : D also monday night combat just came out on steam, so i got some fps to play for a while. : D

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 64770)