Escape to the Movies: The Rite

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

The Rite

This week, Bob exorcises some cinematic demons.

Watch Video

Sorry, Bob.

I'm obligated to see anything with Hopkins in it.

He's such a fucking good actor...

His best movie, imo.

I didn't even know this movie existed until today.

And as soon as I saw the advert, my first thought was "MovieBob's gonna review it, and it probably sucks."

Either this stuff's becoming laughably predictable, or I'm finally developing psychic powers.

Anyway, good review as per usual for Escape to the Movies, continuing to make amateur critics/reviewers (i.e. Yours Truly) awestruck, inspired and jealous all at the same time.

I hadn't even heard about this until your review. At least I know it was for good reason.

God Damed Donkies possessing our women!
And that twist with Anthony Hopkin's character was already made painfully obvious in the trailers.
Happy Birthday Elijah!

I'll take Bob's advice and I'll just watch The Exorcist again instead.

I heard this was a movie that would be "wait until DVD release". This may make you upset Bob, but that kid doesn't look bad in the spider suit.

Oh and do you think Chris Evans will make a good Cap? I've heard a lot of people doubt his acting ability. He has been type cast into being a sarcastic guy, so people don't think he can play a more serious role.

Not a fan of horror movies in general, and really not exorcist ones.

However a satanic donkey? That I can do.

Bring on The Exorcism of Shrek

A Satanic DONKEY, WTF?!

Satanic donkey? Why does the image of the talking demonic goat from Drag me to Hell pop in my mind... Weird.

I hate exorcism movies. The more time passes, the less I like The Exorcist too.

I'm sure my innate skepticism is partly at work here, but even if I roll with it and accept the supernatural premise of these films, I still end up picking things apart. The demons in these movies almost always possess white, middle or working class young girls, and proceeds to confine them to bed with vulgar cursing and inappropriate sexualization.

So the Devil's grand scheme in these films is to take people who in the larger picture are effectively powerless, and put them in a situation where they become even more powerless? What in literal Hell does that accomplish? At least in the Omen movies the Satanists were doing their damnedest to make sure the Anti-Christ got as politically powerful as possible.

Pass.

Please tell me that the satanic donkey is voiced by Eddie Murphy.

I actually generally argue in favor of Exorcist 3 being the best devil panic movie. But people seem pretty divided on it. In my opinion the George C Scott/Ed Flanders relationship is one of the more interesting put on film. And I love Brad Dourif in it. Admittedly the dream sequence with a brief cameo by Fabio as an angel is hard to take, but I feel like it's aged better than the original.

I'm still hoping for a Rifftrax of Exorcist 2. I've never seen a movie more obviously inspired by cocaine.

In terms of the skeptic/believer combo cliche, it's one of the reasons that I gave a reasonably positive review to 'The Last Exorcism' since it starts with a young priest who has believably lost his faith, and is faking an exorcism one last time to help a family.

Also:

Actually, while I will agree that Exorcism movies are shit, usually for the reasons others here have mentioned, the subject is fascinating and not really "just one guy shouting prayers at another guy."

For instance, did you know that there are Islamic, Hindu, and Buddhist versions of exorcism?

It's pronounced Ciaran (Key-rawn) Hinds. (unless he's changed how it's normally pronounced)

Usual great review though, thanks again!

I don't agree about the Exorcist of Emily Rose being the latest worst movie of the kind.
While being bad indeed... The Unborn tops that. The exorcism scene is absolutly goofy and a waste of talent (Oldman and Elba).
But I get the point that Bob was only picking it up as an exemple.

Awesome comparisons using Mulder/Scully and Agent K/Agent J.
Mainstream horror movies are having an hard time reinvinting themselves and it's a really sad era for horror fans.
Their lack of originality is so insulting.
For exemple whenever I see a movie using mirrors for a scare, I'm like "OMG, I can't believe their still doing that".
You know, the scene where someone sees something in the mirror and then turn to see if it's behind them and it's not.
Also I can't believe we are still making movies about people lost in the woods and getting killed one by one.

When I saw the trailer to this, at first I thought it was a remake of the original Exorcist because it look so by the numbers of its kind... and despite everything that's been said about by Bob, at least it wasn't a remake.

As for the satanic donkey, Drag Me To Hell already beat it to the punch with their goat, and that film had some humor with it.

Great review as ever ,and are they REALLY making a another spiderman movie?Why can't they just leave it be.

Hmmm, interesting.

Honestly I suspect there is a lot of bias in this review due to the Christian aspects. I say this largely because of Bob's (much) earlier review of "Drag Me To Hell" which covered a lot of the same basic material, it simply revolved around a Gypsy curse, and a more generally occult version of trying to dispel the demon, rather than a more religious approach to the entire thing.

Not my horror sub-genere of choice either to be honest, but since he was ranting about the entire genere I think it's a bit odd that his impression seems to change so radically in his opinion when the trappings themselves are changed.

Well than, that's what we need: A Religious-Horror movie which ends with the sceptic being right.

MB202:
A Satanic DONKEY, WTF?!

But he wont take you to Bethlehem he take you straight to hell Mwuhahahahahahaha.

Onyx Oblivion:
Sorry, Bob.

I'm obligated to see anything with Hopkins in it.

He's such a fucking good actor...

I'm obliged to agree with you. Normally I'd steer far clear of an exorcism movie, but how can you pass up on the chance to see Anthony Hopkins as a demon possessed maniac???

I hade hope that you would do The Way back or Biutful.

TheEnglishman:
Well then, that's what we need: A Religious-Horror movie which ends with the skeptic being right.

No way that would show in America. It'd probably be popular in Europe though.

solidstatemind:
Actually, while I will agree that Exorcism movies are shit, usually for the reasons others here have mentioned, the subject is fascinating and not really "just one guy shouting prayers at another guy."

For instance, did you know that there are Islamic, Hindu, and Buddhist versions of exorcism?

Okay, I have to ask, how the heck do you have a Buddhist exorcism when Buddhism is pretty much based on the idea that there are no supernatural forces, and that everything derives from oneself.

As I loosely understand things the basic idea of Buddhism is to pretty much become your own god and work towards ascension. If you die without getting into that state you pretty much wind up in Limbo waiting for a divine power to come along to rescue or punish you, when one pretty much never will because they don't exist. Only through the correct realizations and understandings can you basically free yourself by becoming your own god. Buddha himself being a guy who ascended and returned to earth to teach other people the past.

I'm no expert, and could have that wrong, but by Buddhist standards what do they exorcise from people is there is nothing out there that can possess people?

Islam is from the same family of religions as Judism, and Christianity and shares a lot of the same central beliefs so that makes sense. Hinduism has an entire pantheon of gods and assorted servants so, again that makes a degree of sense, however Buddhism is more of a philosophy than anything, even if it includes mystical elements.

I knew despite my liking for Hopkins I would never see this movie when I saw a trailer that billed this movie as "inspired by true events", lulz.

Does the devil really have nothing more important to do? How about making a movie version of Lucifer? It's written like a Hollywood movie already anyway :P

MovieBob:
The Rite

This week, Bob exorcises some cinematic demons.

Watch Video

Your are definitely right about that faith part Bob. I shouldn't get offended by someone else mocking my beliefs or even just taking them lightly. An underpinning rule of faith is that it's personal for each individual.

Kinda like the 3 little pigs story. If someone build their faith on "Magic Tricks"(straw) then they are sort of asking to have it knocked over by a casual breeze or a passing heckler(wolf).

Nice review Bob. I was hoping this could be good with the cast that they have.

I should add that I'm pretty certain Elijah Wood was not born today. Unless you know something about time travel of which I am unaware :).

This is exactly why I always stick to good old Asian horror films, if I ever want to get my horror movie fix. No, not remakes. Remakes tend to remove actual tension and thrill out of the original.

Still, love to see Hopkins playing something else other than brain-eating maniac.

Hi Bob, Ciarán Hinds' name is pronounced "Kee-raWn", not Cee-rawn.

Cheers.

TheEnglishman:
Well than, that's what we need: A Religious-Horror movie which ends with the sceptic being right.

Or where the demon isn't actually a bad guy and is actually an intergalactic cyber-dragon on a quest to save his home-planet from invading robot-army, and can only survive in our atmosphere by leeching onto consciousness of little girls. It would make it a lot more interesting, if the question wouldn't be just "is s/he really possessed?", but also on the motives of the thing possesing. (One can find similar things in scifi, at least)

I really dislike exorcism-movies, mainly because I find the practise in real life disgusting, especially when performed on mentally unstable people, so I find glorifying the practise distasteful.

solidstatemind:

The idea of evil spirits (or even impersonal evil energy) affecting people is quite common, and pretty much every culture, especially those without modern medicine, have their rituals for dealing with them. Blaming evil invisible creatures for diseases is usual, and if you don't have a good idea of how the human body works, it's something that easy to understand.

I like the Emily Rose movie. But then i pay no attention to film critics as it is only there personal opinion on films and is not relevant to what i will or wont watch.

I still threw this onto my netflix queue just for the hell of it. You didn't mention "The Last Exorcism", that one was pretty good except the ending ruined it.

Yeah...
Thanks for the heads up Bob...
But sadly...
I agreed to review this for my university's newspaper...
So I'm stuck with it.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or