And the Nominees Are...

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

And the Nominees Are...

MovieBob gives you the edge in your office Oscar poll by breaking down the nominees.

Read Full Article

Thanks, Moviebob, for calling The King's Speech on what it is. Everyone around me seems to think that it was some magnificent film, to be held upon the pedestal of highest honor. I thought it was OK. Maybe good. I dunno. I liked Colin Firth, but a predictable plotline and lazy cinematography and directing brought the whole thing down.

(By the way: No Christopher Nolan in Best Director? No Leonardo DeCaprio in best actor for Inception? BULLSHEET)

Must say the Kings Speech was an excellent movie, i hope it wins many Oscars, with that said I have not seen Black Swan, The Fighter, Toy Story 3, True Grit, Winter's Bone. I have seen Inception and it was a decent movie but I do not think it is Oscar worthy. I do not plan on seeing True Grit even though Jeff Bridges is a good actor nobody could ever top The Duke aka John Wayne in the original.

The most surprising for me, was Trent Reznor's nominations for The social network.

It was awful, and only distracted from an otherwise great film.

Outright Villainy:
The most surprising for me, was Trent Reznor's nominations for The social network.

It was awful, and only distracted from an otherwise great film.

Trent is a great musical artist, he'll never win but just throwing him up there is good enough. I also would love to attempt to explain why the Power Rangers would be in the audience to my folks, that would easily make sitting through the entire awards worth it instead of just seeing the results online afterwards and youtubing the funny moments an acceptance speeches I want to.

I join the chorus of people who hoped for a Daft Punk nomination for score. It stands as the only soundtrack for a movie (outside of musicals) that I have bought; it can stand on it's own as a regular album, and I hope it at least gets a Grammy.

For me personly, I want Javiar to win best actor for biuteful. I love that movie and it should win also best forign picture.

I'd like to see Toy Story win Best Picture. It will probably win Best Animated, and that'll be the excuse as to why it didn't win. To be honest though, I don't think it deserves to win Best Picture (it wasn't Pixar's best movie in my opinion- UP was), which isn't to say anything bad about it. I just want it to win to help champion the cause of modern western animation before the tide of sub-par western Animation and Anime crushes all the animation-starved Americans because of the ignorant views of it being "just for kids."

If I were to make a totally unbiased vote though, it'd probably be for Winter's Bone or maybe Inception. Those were the two that were most truly trying new things. Though, I'm still soured on Inception for being about dreams, but focusing mostly on a series of interchangeable gunfights when "anything is possible."

Also: While I'm sure Natalie Portman is deserving of her Oscar (I don't know, I didn't see it), I'd rather see Lawrence win, since she really made Winter's Bone come alive for me.

Naturally, no love for Scott Pilgrim, but that's the only movie I went to see in theaters last year (on my birthday) and want to own.

And may this be the last time we have to hear Bob lament over Scott Pilgrim. For crying out loud, Marmaduke made more money than that clunker. It was way too much of niche movie to ever have any real success.

So, Bob... get past it, and move on. Thank you.

I loved your description of James Franco as Zany-Art-School-Performance-Artist-Currently-Doing-Movies-For-The-Lulz. I heard an interview with him on NPR and it definitely sounds like he only does movies because it pays for what he wants to do.

I wish Scott Pilgrim could have been nominated for something as well. That movie was nicely put together and translated. I think it's the most successful translation of video games into movie form yet.

I think Christian Bale has already been slowly burning out over the last few years. Aside from the incidents, when ever he has no work he seems to end up looking like a hobo, as if he doesn't know what to do when he's Christian Bale rather than Bruce Wayne John Connor or the likes.

But he has earned an Oscar by now.

Why the hell was Tron snubbed for costuming? What other movie had the characters actually wearin costumes? And Daft Punk's soundtrack snub... that's practically criminal, there's no way they don't deserve to be on that list. (Apart from Iron Man 2)

You know, I haven't seen The Kings Speech yet however I watched the trailer that's been on T.V and I've seen it advertised and I really don't want it to win anything. Reason? because its Oscar bait, its begging for it so much that its not even funny. I mean look at the time of release, its been strategically placed for winning an Oscar, as close as you can get to the Oscar date when screw all else is out just to make sure its up on that list.

So yeah, that's my reason. Other genuinely good films this year have been snubbed out for this film. Hey the film might be pretty good and well acted but that doesn't change the fact that it is Oscar bait in its purest form. Christ the director here has out Oscar baited Clint Eastwood which does take effort.

I am literally stunned that Tron Legacy got precisely zero nominations. It's just ludicrous.

well, not surprised at scott pilgrim getting nothing. the walking corpses who decide this sort of thing would definitely cower behind their mahogany desks when presented with a movie as energetic and bright as that. same goes for daft punk. at least they didnt ignore inception.

Just a couple of points I'd like to make regarding the article. While I'd like Natalie Portman to win Best Actress, I think its more likely to go to Annette Benning as the Best X award is often used to award a long term actor/actress for their full body of work rather then just the film (see Sandra Bullock last year). This is also the reason why Hailee Steinfeld is nominated for supporting actress as its very unlikely that a newcomer (and a child actress at that) would take home Best Actress.

I'm really annoyed at these nominations for one reason: Toy Story 3 is on the Best Picture shortlist. Normally I would be ecstatic at this news, seeing as how my second-favourite film of the year got nominated for best picture and has a slim but possible chance at winning it all, but my favourite film of the year gets my vote for Best Animated film. No, really, I only liked one film better than Toy Story 3 in 2010 and it was How to Train Your Dragon. This makes my Oscar wishlist look extremely stupid, and for that I am irked.

Also,

Dear MovieBob,

That Christian Bale letter had me in stitches. Thank you for the larf.

Thinking about it, yeah, Tron: Legacy did get a bad snub. No love for Daft Punk's music or the visuals? SHAME ON YOU, ACADEMY.

And even more shame for no nods for Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.

*sigh* I wish Scott Pilgrim got nominated for something as well.
Also, I really want Toy Story 3 to win.

Watching Bob deriding The King's Speech, one of the most credible, entertaining, evocative dramas of the last decade, while simultaneously bemoaning the lack of recognition for Scott Pilgrim, is actually pretty sad.

Also, could somebody please explain to me what it is about The Social Network that is award-worthy, other than it being about Facebook, and thus "cool" via some kind of moronic social-alchemy? It's a story about idiots and arseholes, and it's boring as hell to watch.

Did Bob ever do a piece on why the Academy hates Nolan so much?

OT: I thought the Tron Score was alright, cause i'm not into techno much......but yeah, they should've been nominated just for that situational peculiarity. Missed Opportunity indeed.

And did you honestly expect films like Scott Pilgrim and Kick-Ass to get nods? It's surprising that Inception got a nomination at well.

Edit: Almost forgot, but i wanted to say that the best possible outcome for the animated film category imo.... would be if How to train your Dragon won the Best animated film, and Toy Story won ONLY the Best Picture. As much as the latter was incredible (hence, fingers crossed) How to train your Dragon was a damn good movie, and deserves some recognition. Agreed?

I dont think CHristopher Nolan deserved Best Director. The movie lacked ay real emotion and i dont remember a lot of character development, just a ton of cool shots and ideas. As a film it was an AMAZING production. However, the actual directing was not what the Academy has ever looked for. like, I felt like the whole thing with DIcaprios wife was forced, overacted, and underutilized.
Like I said, it was wicked cool movie, but couldve been so much better.

SO my vote for best picture goes to Social Network (well, really Toy Story 3, but...unfortunatly without a best director nod to lee unkrich and prejudice to animated films, it seems unlikely)and yeah

sosolidshoe:

Also, could somebody please explain to me what it is about The Social Network that is award-worthy, other than it being about Facebook, and thus "cool" via some kind of moronic social-alchemy? It's a story about idiots and arseholes, and it's boring as hell to watch.

The script was beautifully crafted, the shots were expertly done. The story about a smart kids rise to fame, but about the sacrifices he made to get there, is one that is intriguing and serves as a moral lesson to todays society.

The movie is all about interaction, and very much is the movie that defines the current generation, a generation that sacrifices human contact for internet contact.

Also, it is a lot like Citizen Kane, considered the best film of all time

and...idk, when I saw it, i left amazed...much more so than any other movie

AvsJoe:
No, really, I only liked one film better than Toy Story 3 in 2010 and it was How to Train Your Dragon. This makes my Oscar wishlist look extremely stupid, and for that I am irked.

Thank you i was beginning to think nobody else liked that film (it is definitely better than Ts3). I do hope that it wins best animation because its the one time another film studio has a chance in that category, and it really deserves it.

I must be the only man alive who isn't all that thrilled with Inception.
Then again, at least it deserves any accolades it gets.

This also marks the first year where I had to choose a non-Pixar film for my personal spoiler for best Animation. Why? Because while I knew exactly what I was getting into with Toy Story 3, but How to Train Your Dragon was surprisingly fun to watch which was not something I was expecting at all (check out every single other film that prominently features dragons. Go ahead. I'll wait...
Finished?...if so, you would notice immediately that they almost always suck ass.)

Now, if only Dreamworks can nix that fucking disproportionate SMIRK. It worked when you were making those spiteful Disney knockoffs, it doesn't work when your movie isn't entirely satirical. Why? It's distracting, and completely out of tone for the movie.

I really hope that Inception wins Best Picture, and Nolan wins Best Screenplay then maybe he will stop trying to show the world how 'clever' he is with convoluted, dialogue heavy dross and give Batman some decent action beats in the next one.

Personally, I think James Franco deserves the Best Actor Oscar for 127 Hours, since Colin Firth's role didn't seem to far away from how he acts normally, minus the stammer. I'd like to see Firth try to act out cutting his own arm off.

Pleasant surprise seeing Winter's Bone in there - a murder mystery set in the rural mafia of Appalachian meth dealers, it's the best movie nobody saw this year.

YES!

I'm no longer the only person on these forums who saw Winter's Bone! Now that was a fantastic movie! And Jennifer Lawrence deserved that nod, I can tell you that much.

itf cho:
And may this be the last time we have to hear Bob lament over Scott Pilgrim. For crying out loud, Marmaduke made more money than that clunker. It was way too much of niche movie to ever have any real success.

So good = money making?

Then I suppose Transformers 2 is one of the best sci-fi movies of all time.

sosolidshoe:
Watching Bob deriding The King's Speech, one of the most credible, entertaining, evocative dramas of the last decade, while simultaneously bemoaning the lack of recognition for Scott Pilgrim, is actually pretty sad.

Credible, sure. Entertaining, I suppose, if you're into that sort of thing. But evocative? That movie was the most bland, uninspired Oscar Bait film of 2010.

Also, the reason The Social Network is award worthy is because of its complex human emotions. What you percieve to be "idiots and arseholes" were actually real human characters with depth up the ass.

SpaceSpork:
Thanks, Moviebob, for calling The King's Speech on what it is. Everyone around me seems to think that it was some magnificent film, to be held upon the pedestal of highest honor. I thought it was OK. Maybe good. I dunno. I liked Colin Firth, but a predictable plotline and lazy cinematography and directing brought the whole thing down.

IT'S A REPUBLICAN!

GENTLEMEN, FFIIIIIRE!

OT: I loved The King's Speech- I found it brilliantly encapsulated the personality of George VI, and the feel of Britain on the lead up to war; and it had enough history to make me feel smart when watching it.

CosmicCommander:
IT'S A REPUBLICAN!

GENTLEMEN, FFIIIIIRE!

Me no like King's Speech = Republican?

Sorry, good sir, this right here is one Democratic mothafucka.

EDIT: And would a republican have thought that Black Swan was a great movie? Didn't think so :P

Decabo:
Personally, I think James Franco deserves the Best Actor Oscar for 127 Hours, since Colin Firth's role didn't seem to far away from how he acts normally, minus the stammer. I'd like to see Firth try to act out cutting his own arm off.

Though I do agree with you to a point, but as Bob said, Firth is due. Sure Firth delivers in every performance and it's easy to overlook it simply cause he will do it again, but you run into the problem that Peter O'Toole had. Quoting Wikipedia here:

Peter O'Toole holds the record for having the most Oscar nominations (8 for Best Actor) without ever winning a competitive acting award. He was given an Honorary Award in 2002.

O'Toole is considered one of the best actors that ever lived, and yet received precisely 0 Oscars because he, "Will just do it again in his next movie and we can give it to him for that one if nobody else had a, not necessarily better, but breakout role."

To be fair, I've yet to see 127 hours, so I pass no judgement onto Franco. I just hate the "But X had the role of their lifetime and deserves it over Y" argument just because X is up against a Y that constantly delivers good performances.

SpaceSpork:

itf cho:

So good = money making?

Then I suppose Transformers 2 is one of the best sci-fi movies of all time.

Equating good to people wanting to see it, which in itself does equal cash; then for two movies that are reasonably contemporary in time frame - then Yes. Face it, the vast majority of the movie going public had zero interest in Scott Pilgrim. Was it a good film for it's niche audience? I have no doubt it was. But Bob seems to think the flick was the best thing to hit the silver screen since Ben Hur. He spent a huge amount of his time on the Expendables review not giving us real information on that film; but whining about how it trashed Scott Pilgrim at the box office, and how the public that decided to see Expendables over Pilgrim must basically be a bunch of cretinous neanderthals.

Now, if the two films are up for debate on their merits at the local college's moderm film class - maybe then Pilgrim comes out on top. I wouldn't know - I didn't bother to pay my money to see either movie (nor Transformers 2). But at least the producers behind The Expendables had a much better vision of what the public was willing to pay to see.

Finally, someone who agrees with me that Chloe Grace Moretz deserves an Oscar for Kick-Ass, I've been saying from the beginning that her performance as Hit Girl deserves an Oscar,in fact look at her face when I asked her if she knew about people wanting her to get an Oscar in this webchat (at 8:50)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPglwUTftyQ . At least she has some great projects (Hick and Hugo Cabret to name two) that may get her nominated and provide the same argument for Colin Firth at this years Oscars. I have all my thoughts on the Oscar nominations on my blog here:http://coogsfilmblog.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-thoughts-on-oscar-nominations.html

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here