Review: DC Universe Online

Pages PREV 1 2

OtherSideofSky:
"The cinematics and one liners feel like they were ripped from the pages of a graphic novel"

I object strongly to this insulting use of the term "comic book" as opposed to a superior style of "graphic novel" which is just a way for people who don't want to admit to reading or writing comic books to act smug. We don't have different words for good and bad literature or films and the coexistence of these two terms strikes me as unnecessary, pretentious hipster bullshit unless someone can come up with a legitimate reason for considering these to be two different mediums. "graphic novels" are works of sequential art written, drawn and published in exactly the same way as "comic books" and often by the same people. By perpetuating this segregation we are restraining the creative advancement of comics as a medium and actively preventing their acceptance as a legitimate art form by the culture at large.

Ultratwinkie:

retrofish18:
"The cinematics and one liners feel like they were ripped from the pages of a graphic novel"

What does that mean. As someone who reads comic books on a regular basis, I've always used the word graphic novel and comic book the same way. Please explain.

he means its like the 1960s batman compared to batman beyond. the 1960s batman was meant for little kids, and is MUCH lighter in comparison to batman beyond. SOE tends to dislike any sort of maturity in any of their games and forbid anyone from saying anything even resembling a normal person. In short, everyone acts like this:

Actually, the Adam West Batman TV show had a far larger adult audience than ever became aware of Batman Beyond, which was still undoubtedly a children's show and was aired and marketed as such. It just happened to have decent writing and deal with interesting issues. The Adam West Batman, however, was also far more subversive for its time than it sometimes appears in retrospect and while its dialog is undoubtedly unnatural and ridiculous it was delivered with a level of sincerity which elevates it beyond mere camp. Its poor reputation is due almost entirely to fans of the gritty, post Frank Miller Batman going back and getting upset that he used to be lighthearted and fun.

You're a little long winded but I have to agree, piss poor writing is just that, doesn't matter what medium it's in. How would a gamer feel if someone said 'It's just a game it doesn't need good writing...' just before Yahtzee turned them into a fine red paste.

The term 'Graphic Novel' is simply a way to cover up any shame people feel over the term 'Comic Book' so I personally can't abide it.

And Champions online just went free?!?!?! Well DCU Online can kiss my hoop.

I really really want to get this game just so I can make a superhero, get overloaded by choice, make him look totally ridiculous, hop around the city eccentrically, do a few story missions, get bored, try to fix my characters goofy appearance, make it worse, stop playing and complain about how the monthly fee is too much.

MUST HAVE

lomylithruldor:

DeASplode:

lomylithruldor:

At 30, you have 15 power points, but your action bar can hold 6 powers (plus one item and one trinket) so it's a bit like guild wars.

Y'know if you press T, it switches to a secondary action bar, so you've got 12 skills.

You can't switch in combat and it's not a secondary action bar, it's your other role. It's like changing spec in WoW. Your powers can react differently and your powers in your non-DPS roles are not as powerful.

Woops, guess I've been playing it wrong then D:

I really should pay attention to the tutorials...

Having played to level 10 myself, I agree with the same-i-ness of the quest lines. Plus, because you level so quickly, leveling up simply doesn't feel all that special. And, sadly, the chat interface is no better on the PC than on the PS3, its just not a very group/guild friendly game.

Oh well, back to WoW it is.

Why'd you make yourself Batman with a hat?

And a bat.

I bought DCUO the third day it was out, and I think I'm enjoying it just because after seven years of playing City of Heroes, I needed to see something different. Will I keep playing it indefinitely like I did CoH; I seriously doubt it. I have six level-50s over on CoH, and several in the high 30/low 40 range. If NCSoft can stop visually examining their colon and throw away their bleedin' Nerf stick that they love so Goddamned much, I might just go back.

But right now, we're talking about DCUO. I think they've done some good things here. I've never enjoyed travelling all over the map as much as I do here. And I am here to tell you, I dropped WoW after two months of playing because the travel pissed me off to no end.

The combat's stamina meter is great. You aren't unmercilessly punished for unloading everything you got at a villian and forced to wait X amount of time for your stamina to come back. Yes, Perfect World International, I'm looking at YOU.

Now that the praise is out of the way, here's what's behind the curtain:

Character customization is very limited; it is THE worst when compared to CoH or CO. And if you make a male character, be warned, you're gonna want a full mask, because your choices of hair and facial features are crap. Also, if you were spoiled by CoH's body/height slider, you'll absolutely HATE being stuck with only 3 body types to choose from. Outfits are limited in the beginning (your character comes across the 'cool' stuff in-game) and if you make a tri-colored character, be warned; you'll be playing around with the color scheme all day and STILL won't have the color pattern you want.

The social panel is garbage. I still haven't figured out how people even 'Shout' in the general channel. I've sent 'Tells' to people and never had anyone respond. I thought it was simply because I was being ignored, or they were in a battle, until I got my friend on the phone and asked if he got any of my messages, and he said he didn't see anything from me. Seriously, you might as well forget the whole damned thing and get everyone on Skype.

I don't like the World of Warcraft feel I get about this game in regards to your character. By that, I mean, the NPCs merely talk AT your character, instead of TO your character. This is where CoH shined in my eyes, because they INSERTED your character's name into the story dialogue. I understand they can't do that because they insist on giving out missions verbally, which is annoying as batshit to me personally, but seriously, I didn't go through the trouble of naming my character just so you could NOT use my name. If that's the case, I might as well go call myself 'Twattycake'.

Movement is nothing like any MMO out there, and I can't really say that's a great thing. The controls are bizarre and take some getting used to. Flight, in my eyes, operates rather clunky compared to CoH, and I just can't bring myself to try superspeed. All my characters have acrobatics, and that seems to be working.

And that's my take on DCUO. I like it, I think it has some good ideas and great potential, but right now, it's a diamond in the rough. If you're thinking about getting into this game, wait a year; the level cap should be raised by then and they might iron out some of the more glaring issues they have.

You know I swear this always happens to me. I've been thinking up new ideas for MMO's for awhile and one of my ideas was a more action oriented combat system, an open world with hidden collectibles and races to encourage world exploration (I mean why make a huge amazing world if there is no real reason to explore it?). Lo and behold the game already exists -_-

Looks interesting enough, though I think I'll skip out on this one for the sake that Craig said that the quests become heavily repetitive. Can't stand it when quests become just a point and click blur where you really have no reason to care about what's going on.

shreedder:
anyone notice that the fire villain/hero they were playing looked a lot like Total Biscuit's one named Dark Halibut?

I noticed that as well..Coincidence?

Eri:

shreedder:
anyone notice that the fire villain/hero they were playing looked a lot like Total Biscuit's one named Dark Halibut?

I think not. Some manners must be beaten into these copycats.

shreedder:

Eri:

shreedder:

I think not. Some manners must be beaten into these copycats.

That'll be the day...

i really can't believe you gave this game a 4/5...
i mean there's so many things wrong with it.
first of all i can't read the in game text because it's to small...at first i thought it was my tv but then i hooked my ps3 to a tv twice as big as the one i was using and it still couldn't read it.i tried expanding the screen and all that did was take half my mini map off the screen.

the fighting gets repetitive,it's like god of war only with a lot less awesomeness spewing from each attack.

the graphics could be a lot more better in my opinion.maybe there good for a free "MMO" game,but not for a game that's 60 bucks and ask for 10 more each month

the only thing that this game has going for it is it's great voice acting(although sometimes it lacks) and the fact that it's an MMO...but sometimes it feels like there's no one else there since nobody ever talks and when they do I CAN'T READ THE TEXT...

I'm sure fans of dc universe online will enjoy it...but to be honest there's free Mmorpgs out there that are better and more worth your time...and have text you can read...and doesn't ask you for 60 FREAKING DOLLARS TO PLAY!

2/5 in my opinion (and remember it's just my opinion)

Did anyone else notice that he was playing as bat man? I thought it was clever.

The main complaints about this game dissapear on the PC version, or some of them anyway. Laggy interface gone, bad communication gone, samey game play and repeated stuf not gone... but playing with friends you can talk too and communicate with properly makes it so much better.

The meat of an MMO is the Multiplayer and playing it on the console is still far to similar to a solo game, even with voice chat. Its the first real MMO to try the experiment and its done alright, but the majority of its gammers will be PC ones.

Looks a lot like Champions Online. Considering that is free, not hard to imagine which people will go for.

Poor interaction will be this game's death knell if not fixed. Everyone will ask themselves - "I'm basically playing a single-player game. Why is this an MMO?" Which then becomes "This isn't an MMO. Why am I paying a monthly fee?" Which leads to cancelled subscriptions. Dungeon Fighter learned this too, but they are at least free.

Spot1990:
Me and my friend used headsets during the beta. To be honest I don't even remember how. It wasn't very intuitive and even when we were doing it for the third or fourth time still took us awhile to figure it out.

On PC, it's extremely complicated.
You plug in the headset, then you talk.
Mind-blowing, I know.
You should enable push to talk though, since no one wants to hear you pressing buttons on your keyboard constantly.

As for the game itself, I enjoy it.
Yeah, the quests were samey and uninteresting, but I really like the solo dungeons and the fact that achievements reward skill points for you to use to improve your character.
First game ever that I've achievement whored in.
Well, except maybe SC2's campaign achievements.

Denamic:

Spot1990:
Me and my friend used headsets during the beta. To be honest I don't even remember how. It wasn't very intuitive and even when we were doing it for the third or fourth time still took us awhile to figure it out.

On PC, it's extremely complicated.
You plug in the headset, then you talk.
Mind-blowing, I know.
You should enable push to talk though, since no one wants to hear you pressing buttons on your keyboard constantly.

As for the game itself, I enjoy it.
Yeah, the quests were samey and uninteresting, but I really like the solo dungeons and the fact that achievements reward skill points for you to use to improve your character.
First game ever that I've achievement whored in.
Well, except maybe SC2's campaign achievements.

That's amazing... I was playing on PS3 though.

Greg Tito:
Review: DC Universe Online

Enter the world of Superman and Batman

Read Full Article

Greg...*sigh* "Writhe your enemies in flame"...really? I'm positive you meant to say "wreathe your enemies etc." (though there's a slight chance you meant to say something about writhing flames).

warboss5:
Having played to level 10 myself, I agree with the same-i-ness of the quest lines. Plus, because you level so quickly, leveling up simply doesn't feel all that special. And, sadly, the chat interface is no better on the PC than on the PS3, its just not a very group/guild friendly game.

Oh well, back to WoW it is.

Even if the leveling was slower,you'd just get bored from the repedetive fighting and missions.

retrofish18:

What does that mean. As someone who reads comic books on a regular basis, I've always used the word graphic novel and comic book the same way. Please explain.

OtherSideofSky:

I object strongly to this insulting use of the term "comic book" as opposed to a superior style of "graphic novel" which is just a way for people who don't want to admit to reading or writing comic books to act smug. We don't have different words for good and bad literature or films and the coexistence of these two terms strikes me as unnecessary, pretentious hipster bullshit unless someone can come up with a legitimate reason for considering these to be two different mediums. "graphic novels" are works of sequential art written, drawn and published in exactly the same way as "comic books" and often by the same people. By perpetuating this segregation we are restraining the creative advancement of comics as a medium and actively preventing their acceptance as a legitimate art form by the culture at large.

I suppose that there isn't a strict distinction, but I think that it's usually the comics that push the boundaries of the medium that are published in a graphic novel form. I'm thinking of Alan Moore's Watchmen or V for Vendetta or the Dark Knight that you can find in a Barnes & Noble or other bookstore. These are more than just standard comic book series, they are presented as being exemplary of their craft so that they can be sold to a different audience than those who might frequent a comics store.

So yeah, the writing in DCUO feels authentic to common serialized comics, but it doesn't touch the nuance and artistry of some of the series that have been published as graphic novels.

m-m-m-m-m-montly fee?

Fuck that.

informative review though. Seems like it could have been great.

A fair review. Didn't appear to miss much in the details. I play pve but toggle pvp (it's also nice to have it off if you're really not interested) and I have no complaints. The bottom line summed it up well: gets a lot right but has a few shortcomings. Personally, I'm re-upping my monthly.

Judging by your review the score should be around 2/5 and not a solid 4.

And hahaha. There is no proper difference between a comic book and a graphic novel. To say that the dialog sounds like something out of a comic book and not a graphic novel makes absolutely no sense.

Greg Tito:

I suppose that there isn't a strict distinction, but I think that it's usually the comics that push the boundaries of the medium that are published in a graphic novel form. I'm thinking of Alan Moore's Watchmen or V for Vendetta or the Dark Knight that you can find in a Barnes & Noble or other bookstore. These are more than just standard comic book series, they are presented as being exemplary of their craft so that they can be sold to a different audience than those who might frequent a comics store.

So yeah, the writing in DCUO feels authentic to common serialized comics, but it doesn't touch the nuance and artistry of some of the series that have been published as graphic novels.

This puts graphic novels at a level above comic books. Your case is weakened further by the fact that the writers of your examples object to the term itself. Miller and Moore make no difference between the two. Graphic Novel is a marketing ploy to try and force some pretentious onto comic books. Story arcs in many series are often collected as "graphic novels". This shatters the argument surrounding "graphic novels being different from serialized comics" since a litany of graphic novels are serialized comics. They're comics. Not exemplary comics. Not terrible comics. They're just comics. If you really feel the need to make a distinction, then why not read some comics and make a distinction between a quality story and a terrible one.

The_root_of_all_evil:

HankMan:

Oh well I'll just have to wait for Marvel Universe Online.

Cancelled sometime ago. And then turned into those bighead characters I think?

Yes CO was originally going to be Marvel Universe Online. However, Gazillion Entertainment is going to make a Marvel based MMO which is scheduled to come out in 2012.

Greg Tito:

retrofish18:

OtherSideofSky:

If that were true, and I admit it used to be, I wouldn't complain at the distinction, but these days almost everything gets a trade paperback (which is the correct term for such a published collection). It weakens the argument somewhat when, for instance, all of Ultimate Spiderman appears to be available in trades (or at the very least an awful lot of it, and the couple I've read not only failed to "push the boundaries of the medium", they weren't even very good). I feel like your statement reflects an outdated preconception begun by people who don't read comics these days (not that there's anything wrong with that, I only follow one or two series myself). I just really feel that the original statement in the review should have been much better worded.

Greg Tito:

retrofish18:

OtherSideofSky:

Except all three of your examples were published as monthly comics before being collected into the graphic novel format after the series was finished.
OT: I've been looking to get this game. From the sound of it, I'll wait until after a couple of patches.

It's a good F2P MMO, just wait a few months till it changes its payment model accordingly...

Playing on PC, and after my one month subscription runs out I'll wait till its free to play online which should be no longer than June 2011. Nothing more than a grinding button masher. There's nothing special about this game other than the characters you get to see from the DC universe and are as flat as the pages of a comic book.

The quests have all the same basic layout.

- Get mission
- Go to mission
- Kill things
- Collect things
- Finish mission
- Go back and repeat over and over and over and over and over.

There is nothing really special or engaging about this game. It gets very boring very quickly. It sure the hell isn't worth $15.00 a month.

2 things about this game. WHEN sold to for the ps3 it should have a mic as a requirement and give ppl the option to join crossworld voice chat to setup their shit. on pc well......jesus how lazy can u be the entire interface was made for a ps3 and they didnt seem to have adjusted it at all for pc users - so why didnt we cross platform again??
well i guess i agree with gen vengeance here EXCEPT if u liked warhammer or daoc, since the pvp grind can be fun in some way but than again......u might as well play warhammer or daoc since they done it better.
dunno if i bother buying gtcs - yea im supposed to pay 20$ a month cuz im ozi.....fuck THAT..

EDIT aka P.S. SOE has a long history of never going F2P with their products so I wouldnt hold my breath if thats what u r waiting for....

anyway
IF i can give any advice play villains just cuz they are a lot more fun

The monthy charge is the only thing stopping me from buying this game, sorry if that makes me a bad person!

Wahful:
The monthy charge is the only thing stopping me from buying this game, sorry if that makes me a bad person!

no that makes you a smart person...more smarter than me and anyone else who bought this mediocre trash -_-

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here