291: Secrets of the Guild

Pages PREV 1 2

Jumplion:

I don't I really get the misinterpretation, but regardless I wish you luck with your ventures. Right now I'm keeping my options open for the future as I'm going into film making/video games, so this school does pique my interests as well.

More a misspeaking on my part. I didn't say enough.
I really have no trouble with any of the things I noted in my first post, so I'll probably apply at some point and if it falls through, it falls through.

Best of luck to you, too. I don't know about where you live, but up here in the land of polar bears and igloos, we have a program that helps students find good schools within the country and determine career options if they are unsure of where they ought to go. Something about "all the smart kids going south because we have no good schools". If you're unsure of where you want to go, see if there's some sort of equivalent program where you live. Some idiot decided career cruising was a good name for ours.

Edit: That was incredibly off-topic, so I'll post a tie-in.

The Guildhall layout might not be the best for everyone. If you are unsure of which school you want to go to, check to see if you have a similar program to career cruising where you live. I'm sure that there's a good school for everyone somewhere, hopefully. I still can't find one that teaches physics, computer courses and video game design courses (which is strange, given that I can see a good number of ways for all of those to connect).

Drake_Dercon:

Jumplion:

I don't I really get the misinterpretation, but regardless I wish you luck with your ventures. Right now I'm keeping my options open for the future as I'm going into film making/video games, so this school does pique my interests as well.

More a misspeaking on my part. I didn't say enough.
I really have no trouble with any of the things I noted in my first post, so I'll probably apply at some point and if it falls through, it falls through.

Best of luck to you, too. I don't know about where you live, but up here in the land of polar bears and igloos, we have a program that helps students find good schools within the country and determine career options if they are unsure of where they ought to go. Something about "all the smart kids going south because we have no good schools". If you're unsure of where you want to go, see if there's some sort of equivalent program where you live. Some idiot decided career cruising was a good name for ours.

Edit: That was incredibly off-topic, so I'll post a tie-in.

The Guildhall layout might not be the best for everyone. If you are unsure of which school you want to go to, check to see if you have a similar program to career cruising where you live. I'm sure that there's a good school for everyone somewhere, hopefully. I still can't find one that teaches physics, computer courses and video game design courses (which is strange, given that I can see a good number of ways for all of those to connect).

Ha, right now I'm getting a dozen e-mails or letters from random Universities with the standard "This place provides unique opportunities, innovative environments, and so much more!", the problem is sifting through the bullshit ones that have nothing to do with my interests. This Guildhall does look interesting, but I doubt I have the actual skills (coding, art design, etc...) to go through with it. I'm reading into it, however.

why must I wait another six years before attending... WHY!?

I graduated from the Guildhall back in 2005. It was a great experience and I met some wonderful people. That said, those thinking about attending, please adjust your expectations. It is not "Hogwarts". It is not a magical mecca of open minded, free thinking creativity. It is expensive, it is very hard work, and you may well disagree with a good deal of the policies and practices of the school.

Even if you do make it through the program, finding an industry job is not guaranteed. The placement percentages speak for themselves, but they don't tell you that it might take a year for a grad to find their first industry job - and that job may very well be working extended crunch on a project you care nothing about, for a company that couldn't care less for your well developed sense of "ethics".

Would I recommend Guildhall to someone trying to get into the games business today? Absolutely, but be prepared for a long and difficult road that will probably break your heart more than once.

Good to hear about such a great place.

That school sounds like a model that all schools should work by,& I really like the ideas at the end about the future of games as a teaching medium,very good article.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here