Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Most Awesomely Bad Box Art

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Top 5 Most Awesomely Bad Box Art

Hey, box art can't always be as pretty as Bioshock or Mass Effect! Here's Lisa's tribute to the video game world's most cringe-worthy cover art.

Watch Video

You are fueling my nightmares with those pictures, Lisa :\

Tomorrow's dream is me totally being molested in space by a screaming druid who turns into a burly man.

That stick sure was irritating....but it looked like a fairly original and intriguing game.

Homestar reference was win. It was an awesome list.

I have to thank you for introducing me to The Mystery of the Druids box art. I haven't laugh that much from an image before. Seriously I can't stop laughing at it!

Ok, this was a good one. Slight kudos for not taking the easy way out (Space-hobo and gay megaman), but still mentioning them. And expect Valve fanboys to take #3 completely out of context and get angry that anything even slightly associated with Valve is on a list with the word "bad" on it. Also: who knew Druids had such nice teeth?

Mass Effect 2 still had pretty terrible box art, unlike it's predecessor.

And now I feel like cosplaying as that Metro Cross guy.

Excellent choices, truly inspired. :)

JediMB:
Mass Effect 2 still had pretty terrible box art, unlike it's predecessor.

Figured this would get said, lot of people find the mass effect 2 boxart very cheap looking.
Really happy Lisa didn't take the easy way out. Those were really some terrible box-art.
Funny thing about the orange box-art part was that that was the ps3 version and over the hedge in her hands was the 360 version so if you got that you got really screwed since it is a whole other system :P

But orange box has good cover art.
Even it's box is painted orange.

Besides why the hell would my granny go to a game store -_-

before watching it im going to say Megaman is gonna make this list!

edit: yes! it was at least mentioned! XD

I thought The Orange Box was an okay cover. At least it shows you 3 of the 5 games you'll be playing.

Oh. And I forgot to mention that #4's box art was funny. Ahhhhh! D:

The list was ok, I can't think of that many bad box arts, but I'm sure the list could have been completely different.

Mr. Omega:
And expect Valve fanboys to take #3 completely out of context and get angry that anything even slightly associated with Valve is on a list with the word "bad" on it.

Although I thought the same thing, I wouldn't be surprised simply because the cover doesn't look "awesomely bad" to me at all, it just seems a little cramped. Then again, what else are you supposed to put on games that bundle more than one game?

nerd goes in large man's hole, that made me laugh really hard :D

I love you, Lisa.

Kudos for the Teen Girl Squad reference, it was an enjoyable list :D I didn't expect The Orange Box, but it makes a lot of sense now that I think about it.

D Moness:
Funny thing about the orange box-art part was that that was the ps3 version and over the hedge in her hands was the 360 version so if you got that you got really screwed since it is a whole other system :P

Oh, yes. Makes me glad that I grew up in simpler times.

Granted, there was the PC, the current Nintendo console and the current Sega console, but video games were too foreign a concept to my grandparents for them to even consider buying one.

What the hells up with the Mystery of the Druids boxart? Who ever come up with that was smoking some seriously illegal...

I didn't think much of your show at first but I think it's been rapidly improving. I've greatly enjoyed the last one was in stitches this time. Keep up the great work, will be watching this space!

Yay Scrubs BGM

I miss that show...

I'm thinking there'd be a lot more game box art that'd look weird without the text.

And no, I can't think of any examples right now.

Best one so far, no question... and nice to read the comments and see I'm not the only one who thought the Mass Effect 2 artwork was baaaaad. Ten points for appropriate and well-done Teen Girl Squad reference too.

1) Teen Girl Squad references are awesome
2) Mary Kate and Ashley rips are brilliant
3) awkward country dancing to space-paedo made me fall off my chair.

Best episode yet.

Meh, the orange box art wasn't that horrible.

You used the Scrubs sad music! I am happy now.
Except I'm sad because that music always make me look down and to the right...

Also, I'm amused that you took the blindingly obvious "Nerd goes into big man's hole" joke but didn't make it a gay joke.

Yay for scrubs sad music! I want a show of my own, for the only reason that I might include the scrubs sad music!

I was totally laughing at "Nerd goes into large man's hole" I'm all I can think about is Gordon Freeman being the "seme" in a relationship with Heavy.....I can't tell if I fell ;_; or ~.^ about this.

I've also played a little Irritating Stick. When I worked at EB in 2000. We happen to have it in stock. I made the manager take it out and put in the demo machine to see just WTF? it was. It's kind of like the board game Operation. You have to move this stick through a maze of lines with out hitting them or you get a "shock". Needless to say this game is pretty much pure trash. More mind blowing though is this game is based on a freaking Japanese game show...though I guess it isn't as bad as the game show were dudes do tongue twisters a get hit in the balls if they fuck up.

I've watched a let's play of Irritating Stick actually.

PipBoy2000:
nerd goes in large man's hole, that made me laugh really hard :D

Indeed, we all enjoy a good manhole...

What were you thinking of? :3

I bet the druid is using colgate clear whitening :>

This was excellent. And fun! I hadn't really thought about that thing about The Orange Box. Now, it does make sense. You'll have to know about HL2, Portal and TF2 in order to get the box cover.

I never usually cared for grim pictures, but the cover of Diablo II was awesome.

Oh, and I was expecting Planescape: Torment quite strongly.

imageIf I can get someone to make that for me I will cosplay him and most likely premiere it at Anime Conji.

These covers are pretty bad and I remember irritating stick was based on that carnival game where you try to pass the bar through the winding metal spiral to the end without touching it..ugh..at least it wasn't that horrible chester cheetah game.

Also, http://www.coverbrowser.com/ is a source for box art not just for games but for other stuff too. For example you want to look at comic book covers or cereal boxes that's the site you want to go to.

Oh shit!

I forgot to take my beer from the freezer.

*runs to the kitchen*

Wow. A list that is actually interesting this time. Good job, I have to say. Most of your list's seem rather... boring, but this one was actually fairly interesting. Also, Kudos for the Teen Girl Squad reference. You just gained a billion respect points in my book.

It was hilarious how through most of the video she seemed to be like "must... not... put hands... on hips" and then by the end, resistance was futile =P

I would have put No.5 at No.1. That had ABSOLUTELY NO ARTISTIC MERIT AT ALL.
I quite liked the screaming face druid guy thing, all it needed was a speech bubble. Maybe Mary Kate or Ashley could lend him one of theirs.

PS - If a girl hits you repeatedly with glowing sticks, it means she's interested.

OK, I have to admit, this isn't exactly my favorite series, but that thing with the Druid box was hilarious. As were the cheap jokes at The Orange Box's expense. I know it was a gay joke, but I still laughed.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here