Creature Caster Masters: It Begins

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

I believe the credits are innacurate. The concept and writing for this show are credited to Peter Gehm, but that's not true at all. Rather, it should instead be credited to "every person who has ever made a poorly animated Pokemon parody", because that's all this was. There was not an ounce of creativity here. Everything here has been done before, in one way or another.

All of the jokes are ones I have seen countless times before, such as the "trainer sight" and "explode" jokes. Everyone who has played Pokemon has probably heard and perhaps even made these same exact jokes. You didn't put any variation, twist, or anything else that would reflect an ounce of creativity on these jokes. I expect the next few episdoes to contain jokes about comfy shorts, zubats in caves, magikarp, and the realistic implications of fighting wild animals. You've set the bar low enough for me to expect the worst pokemon parodies have to offer.

I could tolerate a lack of originality if this show had some other redeeming qualities, but there aren't any. The animation and art style is ugly to say the least. The movements of the main character in particular are very jerky and unrealistic. And the characters are nonexistent. I don't know what I should think about the main character, the name of whom I've already forgotten, and his pikachu clone. They don't seem to have any character. They exist only to introduce one stale joke after another. I will be surprised if there is even an ounce of character development over the course of this series.

So yeah, in summary here are my problems with this; it's ugly and poorly animated, it's completley devoid of any originality whatsoever, and the characters are bland and uninteresting. The one positive thing I will say about this show is that the voice actor for the main character at least succeeded in being tolerable. Given his appearance I was expecting a grating and poorly done voice, but it's actually not painful to listen to.

Of course that's far from saving this show. Overall this just seems like internet schlock that will have been forgotten by most within a year tops. If you actually want to make something memorable and truly entertaining, you're going to have to be more creative.

There is no situation that cannot be fixed with the proper application of explosives.

ot: Looks interesting O_o to say the least...I want waffles now.

This has my official seal of approval. But why is it no one reads the signs, I mean come on quit looking at your feet while you walk people, you'll walk into death caves 74% less of the time if you don't.
Also need waffles now.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I didn't find this very entertaining. It's like one of the wannabe flash animations on Newgrounds, but it's somehow broken free and made its way over to the Escapist.

I know that this is supposed to be a parody of Yugioh, Pokemon, and I'm guessing Duel Masters or something, but come on. Those shows-- and most jokes involved with them-- are old news. Yes, we know the joke about what would happen if something really used Explosion. Yes, we know how Pokemon Trainers sight works in the games. Yes, we know that the backpack is basically a Bag of Holding. I was completely aware of how funny these aspects of the games when I played them, but that was ten freaking years ago.

I was willing to give this a chance, and I did, but I feel that it blew it by relying on every joke we've already heard about these shows without adding much of its own material. The descriptions in the backpack were funny, but the rest was sub-par at best. Sorry, guys.

Loved the inventory joke. I really didn't expect this show. Looks like it'll make fun of overused or weird tropes in the Adventure/RPG genre. Awesome.

Wow. I thought this was going to be cliche and boring, but it came out of left field and made me laugh the entire time. Awesome stuff. Keep up the excellent work!

This was really so terrible. Internet Kraken summed up your problems pretty well, but I'd like to add a few to his list, including but not limited to:

-Very poor voice work. I've heard so much better on free sites like YouTube. I've even heard much better in user-generated content that sucked, like the awful videos that wind up on "retsufurash." Dan McNealy you are not. If you are the actor, work on your line delivery. If you're going to play it straight, play it totally straight. Be serious. Emote.

Edit: Apparently you've been a VA on other stuff? You're sure a lot better in that, is all I can say. Maybe there's a weakness in the script, I dunno.

-If a joke seems obvious, don't do it. Or do it, but make sure it doesn't draw much attention to itself. At some point every humorist makes a poor or lowbrow joke, but the good ones do it in a way that either acknowledges how bad it is or downplays it.

-Character development and interesting characters can work for you when your story stops being funny. Check out Order of the Stick for a good example. Just because something is derivative and unfunny doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable. If your characters are interesting, voiced well and developed, a flat joke won't matter. This is more just general advice in the event you take the show further.

-Better animation. This is a visual medium, and your animation does not reflect the level of quality I would expect from a site with original content, ads and paid subscriptions. Something like Unforgotten Realms was simple, sure, but the style was clean, colors were crisp, etc. I mention it as an example because it was also incredibly derivative in concept if not execution.

But really, when I look at the bad animation, voice work, plotting, unfunny jokes, annoying designs for the Pokemon look-alikes, and inventory jokes that were a LOT funnier before Scott Pilgrim did them a year or two ago, I just don't see much here. There have been a lot of shows on The Escapist I didn't like. This is true. Creature Caster Masters (I am somewhat fond of the title, I'll admit) is probably the show with the lowest level of quality and polish (and also is the least entertaining show) that I've seen on the site. Of course, anything can improve with time and effort.

Mechsoap:

I think that is what you call a satire. And with the graphical elements? Seen Doraleous and Associates? That isent perfect either but it doesent hinder the message.

If you're trying to say it's good because the show is trying to be bad, that excuse is nonsense. If something is trying to be of poor quality and succeeds, then yay, but it still isn't any good. I would argue that the graphical elements (color and animation) are poor enough to negatively affect one's enjoyment of the "message." Though I'm not sure what the message would be. Pokemon is a ridiculous concept? I think I figured that out along with all of my classmates back in the 4th grade when we first heard the phrase "pocket monsters."

Not bad, loving all the references

Pretty lazy animation, especially at 3:53. When people walk, each leg moves in sync with the opposing arm; their left leg is synchronized with their right arm, and their right leg is synchronized with their left arm. In this walk cycle, the left leg is synchronized with the left arm and the right leg is synchronized with the right arm, and it looks unnatural. It's also an incredibly easy fix if you did it in Flash (just swap the timing of the arms).
Also, just because the Pokemon/Digimon/whatever floats to walk, doesn't mean you can get lazy and just stick it on one unmoving frame. It should have at least a slight wobble to indicate to the audience that it's propelling itself through space, instead of looking like it was cut and pasted onto the screen.
In regards to your characters movements, I'd suggest you learn that motion tweens in Flash are not your friends. Wait, let me make sure that was clear;

MOTION TWEENS ARE NOT YOUR FRIENDS.

Tweening can be used well if you want to pan backgrounds but don't know much about cameras, but never, ever use a tweens on a character (it looks like all of your main characters hand motions were tweened). It's cheap, lazy, unnatural looking, and is a sure-fire way to make your audience think your animation is crap before even giving the jokes a chance.

You might consider developing your own visual style too. I realize the character models are meant to reflect the anime styles of various monster-themed shows, but it's possible to represent that style without making characters that look like every awkward teenager's anime fanart.

All that said though, I see some potential in the series, and considering that it was only the first episode, I'd say it's not a bad start. All those crappy anime shows are ripe with humor and I'm sure you'll have a lot of content to work with in the future.

cymonsgames:
So this is the new series? Pokemon/Yu-Gi-Oh knock off jokes with crappy flash animation? I worry about the writers here.

Lemme know when Yatzee does his obligatory cameo.

And before you guys go off defending it, my problem is only one thing. It's unoriginal. Yes, so was Doraleous and Associates, and I didn't watch it either. Why make rip off stories when original ones are so easy to make. Here's a few:
o Kids from the future play a VR game of the past, which is to say our time, scoring experience points for going to work and navigating traffic, with the quiet one in RL doing all the GTA side quests in game.
o Flinstonesque cavemen attempt to invent a new form of entertainment making a different classic video game with primative tools and creatures in every episode.
o Space pirates NPCs in a TRON like video game. Each planet or space port they land at pokes fun at a different video game trope, like they're browsing someone's MAME directory.

I could keep going.

Heck, I feel more like defending Doraleus and Associates.

Originality in humour is not easy, and I for one think all the ideas you mention would have sucked - unless the delivery was very good. It is all about the delivery, and I for one haven't seen a series that is like Doraleus and Associates and as good.

If every type of humour could only be done once, it would be lame. So if you saw the Pokemon parody and you wanted more, all you could do was watch it over and over again.

So I watched this a second time to see if I could come up with what I find wrong with this. For starters the jokes are just way to predictable. Let's start with the waffle maker since that is the first joke (If anything before this was supposed to be a joke then sorry but it failed horribly). When we see the waffle maker it looks like a Pokeball. Since we all know what a Pokeball does we are presented with two natural outcomes. A) It "Catches" the waffle mix and a waffle is made. B) It fails the "Catch" and releases it. These are the obvious outcomes to anyone who has seen/played Pokemon, since that is basically your whole audience any obvious choice is going to be a poor choice. Not only did you choose an obvious choice but you wasted 7 seconds on the "suspense" of the capture, so not only do we have an obvious joke but horribly pacing to set it up.

Our second joke is the Bike. Admittedly this one is slightly funny. It's just a shame that the lead up to it is poorly executed. "Hmm now lets see where is my bike again? Oh duh my backpack." Well thanks for explaining the joke to us and giving us the most cliched way to bring attention to an oncoming joke. Also we have to do the horrible "wade through item list" thing. Look I don't like wading through lists of items in my games, why would it be funny to do it in a show, this just creates even more horrible pacing to a one second joke.

Third joke is the Trainer Battle. Lead up to it is pitiful and obvious, "It's vision is based on movement." So let me just go ahead and move and then be surprised when it puts me into a battle -_-
So we then have the Wikidex... oh I get it, it's supposed to be funny because of Pokedex is an encyclopedia of Pokemon and Wikipedia is currently our version of an encyclopedia.... yeah.
We have more horrible pacing, leading us up to the Explosion! This part makes me chuckle ever so slightly.

"Well Tun-tun We won our first battle," So let's walk along and recap the episode and give plot exposition (basically just the characters name) and make a HI-LARIOUS joke about us taking it easy while we go into certain danger, because jokes like these have never been relegated to the backwaters of terrible children's shows.

Here I think I can already guess the next episode.

"Hey Tun-Tun this doesn't look like the Professor's House, it's a cave." So let's walk into the cave that is obviously not where we are supposed to be going. Then for some inexplicable reason they are stuck in the very dark cave. "Tun-Tun where are you. Oh there you are Tun-Tun" "*Grrrr...*" "Wait a minute you aren't Tun-Tun" (oh that part will be HI-LARIOUS I tell you!) Let's pull out the Wikidex for another HI-LARIOUS useless explanation of the strange creature. Deus Ex Machinca saves them from a horrible death. "Well Tun-Tun I hope nothing else weird, crazy or dangerous happens to us from now on." See it's HI-LARIOUS because he says one thing when we all know the exact opposite will happen, hahahahaha.......

I'm so glad this won.

I wasnt expecting much but it does have a certain charm to it, I could get into this piece

Huh, why this purple-blonde girl has such a manly voice?

This didn't have me hooked until the creature used Explosion. THAT won me over. xD

I remember seeing this awhile ago but I can't say whether it was here on the escapist or...
Oh wait I just remembered. I believe it was on youtube.

That was pretty funny, I will give this show a try.

I don't know, am I the only one who think's this is a bit mediocre?

Well, I'll give it a few episodes to see how it goes, could be either way.

7 ukeleles? Is he in an hawaiian band or something? can't wait for the next episode.

they don't make em like they used to.. :(

NOT A GIRL? DX

A Pokémon parody?
What is this, 2001?

The only thing that was kind of funny was the explosion, but that has been done like fivehundred times before.

It is an actual guitar. I saw it in the making.

Duffeknol:
Please please PLEASE let someone redo the show's themesong with an actual guitar. Thank you.

It was created with a real electric guitar on a distortion effect.

cinch-2:

Duffeknol:
Please please PLEASE let someone redo the show's themesong with an actual guitar. Thank you.

It was created with a real electric guitar on a distortion effect.

Really? Then fix up the recording quality a bit, it sounded like one of those Fruity Loops guitar emulators.

Could be funnier, but definitely shows promise. Also, how does his hair work?

I knew it! Shady Vox was in this!

Josdeb:

cymonsgames:
So this is the new series? Pokemon/Yu-Gi-Oh knock off jokes with crappy flash animation? I worry about the writers here.

Lemme know when Yatzee does his obligatory cameo.

And before you guys go off defending it, my problem is only one thing. It's unoriginal. Yes, so was Doraleous and Associates, and I didn't watch it either. Why make rip off stories when original ones are so easy to make. Here's a few:
o Kids from the future play a VR game of the past, which is to say our time, scoring experience points for going to work and navigating traffic, with the quiet one in RL doing all the GTA side quests in game.
o Flinstonesque cavemen attempt to invent a new form of entertainment making a different classic video game with primative tools and creatures in every episode.
o Space pirates NPCs in a TRON like video game. Each planet or space port they land at pokes fun at a different video game trope, like they're browsing someone's MAME directory.

I could keep going.

Then stop complaining and make one? Learn to use an animation program, write up some scripts, either voice-act them yourself or find friends who can, and enter it to the Escapist?

Personally, I like your first idea, I'd watch it.

As for the show that is actually on the site, I am enjoying it. I was a little worried it would be a bit too slow paced, but it made enough jokes and at the right time for me to be interested.
I shall watch

There is a ring of truth in what you say. I actually have got animation "skillz" having studied the art for 18 months before realizing the institute I was attending was little more than a shake down operation. However, having those skills I realize the cost going in (in terms of time and money). How much do I stand to gain making animations for the escapist? I'm a busy guy, working full time, getting my masters, plus a family. Unless I graduate or drop out or lose my job I don't know where I'd find the time.

Maybe if I stop commenting on forums online.

Plus, the other thing I'm worried about is what WaderiAAA pointed out. Animation and idea aside would I be able to pull of the funny and delivery necessary to make with the funny? Survey of my past work says..... maybe not.

The humor has some potential, but it's not living up to it right now. The main problem is that it seems as if the dialogue was written by one really uninspired and unoriginal writer. Get some more writers working on this.

I need to watch an episode or two more before I decide if I like this

So, the first 30 seconds, i was like 'what is this crap...'
After I realized I watched it all and was entertained, I think I will not be missing an episode of this ever.

Hmmm, not really my bag. I kind of missed the pokemon thing, so maybe I just don't get it. Good luck with your new show.

I'll watch it for a few more episodes, give it time to improve, but right now I didn't find it that funny, maybe it's been too long since I played a pokemon game.

By the way, this is going to be nitpicking but one of the jokes in this really bothers me. At 3:11 the main character comments on the "wikidex" giving him useless information. I can see two possible jokes here; the first one being that wikipedia is an unreliable source for information. This is a jokes that has been done millions of times before, and considering that wikipedia is a lot better than it used to be it doesn't make much sense now. The second one being that the pokedex never gives you helpful information. This jokes doesn't make any sense though, since the purpose of the pokedex is to annalyze pokemon to learn about their habits, physical appearance, and other things as biologist would be interested in. It's not supposed to tell you how to fight them in battle. So regardless of which joke you were going for, it still failed.

If you're wondering why I'm nitpicking this joke in particular, it's because it to me represents a serious problem; you couldn't even parody Pokemon properly. After spending god knows how much time on the internet, you still couldn't make a proper joke in a pokemon parody. That's honestly pathetic, and it doesn't bode well for the rest of the series.

Also, enough with the 8-bit music. Just because music is 8-bit does not mean it's funny or nostalgic or whatever it is you were trying to go for. Music of such low quality died out a long time ago, so shoehorning it into this series makes little sense. Furthermore, please put more effort into the monster designs than a blue blob with eyes. Seriously, a third grader is more imaginative than that.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here