Critical Miss: Telegraphing

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Telegraphing

Is what we call it.

Read Full Article

Haha, that would be pretty cool if they had necromorphs playing actual instruments.

Ha! It is indeed quite difficult to be scared when they announce their presence every time with dramatic music... maybe the first time...

Heh. It does seem as if music has been terribly over used in horror games as of late. Would that I could compare DS2 to say, Amnesia but I could never play the latter for longer than 20 minutes. What can I say, I'm easily spookified ^^

Edit: *patiently awaits for escapists to decode the message on the 3rd panel*

Totally true. I hate those musical cues in survival horror. That's why fast zombies in HL2 were so scary, all you hear is the scream, and then they're on you. The tank in L4D gets a pass, but the music for the rest of the special infected gives it all away

NLS:
Haha, that would be pretty cool if they had necromorphs playing actual instruments.

You should play D2 (not diablo).

Good one. I'll decipher the unitologist message at the bottom once I find the time. Or the need. For those who want to do it, there's a cipher in the Dead Space 2 promotional site.

classical conditioning at its finest, aim for the crotch when you hear the violin...

Ha, so true. That always makes me laugh when you either have music or chest high walls to tell you when an ambush is going to happen.

Some of the letters are hard to make out properly, but the bottom line says www.escapistmagazine.com

EDIT: The most I've been able to make out is:

cory rydell and grey carter will __ry their __r_ens in _ood

the underscores are the ones I couldn't figure out.

It's probs wrong.

bor3ds0ul:
Totally true. I hate those musical cues in survival horror. That's why fast zombies in HL2 were so scary, all you hear is the scream, and then they're on you. The tank in L4D gets a pass, but the music for the rest of the special infected gives it all away

I was more scared by Black Phantoms in Demon's Souls than Dead Space. Oh, and HL2 headcrabs scare the bejeezus out of me, getting nabbed by barnacles is pretty scary as well.

Panel 3 was a laugh out loud moment. The reticule on the creatures groin was spot on.

Where is my conclusion to chldren of steam! I crave it!

Dectilon:

D2 or Enemy Zero?

(if you're talking about the one I was thinking with this comic, say, the one in the space ship)

Sodoff:

It's a story about VALVE. Of course it's delayed...

The best part was when he pointed his gun at that one necromorph's nuts -

"Oh, shit..."

Haha, the rest of it was funny too. It was funnier than "Children of Steam", anyway - wrap that shit up and make something better.

Sixcess:

Sodoff:

*Slap head* Of course! Why did'nt I think of that?

teh_Canape:

Dectilon:

D2 or Enemy Zero?

(if you're talking about the one I was thinking with this comic, say, the one in the space ship)

I think they meant Enemy Zero.

Wasn't it technically a sequel to the original 'D'?

Regardless, that was a scary game.

There was no warning.

You're walking down a hall, step into a room, and BAM! You're radio is going haywire because there's two beasties in the room.

There's no real use fighting them, so you back the fuck up and head for safety.

8-Bit Grin:

I think they meant Enemy Zero.

Wasn't it technically a sequel to the original 'D'?

Regardless, that was a scary game.

There was no warning.

You're walking down a hall, step into a room, and BAM! You're radio is going haywire because there's two beasties in the room.

There's no real use fighting them, so you back the fuck up and head for safety.

thought so, mostly because D2 takes place in a mountain

as for what you're saying, wasn't there some sort of sound warning?

and didn't you had a gun too?

don't really remember the details, I mean, it's been ages since I last played it =P

CORY RODALL AND GREY CARTER WILL BURY THEIR BURDENS IN BLOOD

WWW.ESCAPISTMAGAZINE.COM

teh_Canape:

thought so, mostly because D2 takes place in a mountain

as for what you're saying, wasn't there some sort of sound warning?

and didn't you had a gun too?

don't really remember the details, I mean, it's been ages since I last played it =P

Hmmm... I think that we're thinking of two different games.

Enemy Zero was set in space.

You had a gun, but it was made practically useless for two big reasons:

1) The Monsters were invisible.

2) They ate your bullets like their tummy's were making the rumblies that only hot lead could satisfy.

It doesn't matter I suppose.

They kind of blur together for me, since I played both during my early years on the Saturn.

8-Bit Grin:

Hmmm... I think that we're thinking of two different games.

Enemy Zero was set in space.

You had a gun, but it was made practically useless for two big reasons:

1) The Monsters were invisible.

2) They ate your bullets like their tummy's were making the rumblies that only hot lead could satisfy.

It doesn't matter I suppose.

They kind of blur together for me, since I played both during my early years on the Saturn.

that's exactly the one I was talking about ^-^

D2 was pretty badass, mostly with it's blend of Resident Evil-ish gameplay and First Person combat

Dead Space may not be scary, but it is tense.

And I like tension just fine...

Dead Space 1 wasn't scary, and I haven't played the seconds.
Actually, I don't really remember any 'scary' games. Maybe the first time a Yao Guai jumped in my face, but even that was just 'wow', not a jump.

I prefer terror to horror. So S.T.A.L.K.E.R is my poison.

I feel a little sorry for all the necromorhps i killed/mutilated.

Funny stuff.

Scrythe:

WWW.ESCAPISTMAGAZINE.COM

God, I know that is a lyric to a song, but I can't place my finger on it. Can anyone help?

OT: This comic was a complete riot for me. Kind of reminds me of how Yahtzee described Dead Space's brand of horror. "The man in a scary mask going 'Abloogy woogy woo' across a brightly lit room, walking towards you slowly while plucking a violin string, then slapping you in the face with a T-bone steak."

Sixcess:

Sodoff:

Touche XD

OT: Yay, now i can play Dead Space, because every time one of those spindly monster things jump me.....I'll be thinking of this comic!

Wow, made me laugh out loud in the office.

Yeah, I have to agree, leitmotifs can really kill the horror after a bit. They can scare the beejesus out of you the first couple times, but then you get used to it and it just telegraphs that there are enemies in the area. Of course if those enemies are still terrify because they can still rape you or you can't shoot their dick off, the leitmotif remains scary. But when they're just another enemy in a long line of now-dickless enemies, the leitmotif loses its scare value.

Scrythe:

Catchy Slogan:
cory rydell and grey carter will __ry their __r_ens in _ood

Yours is somehow far, far, more disturbing.

Forget telegraph, that was a god dam smoke signal

dammit gary is always right!

like fuck am I going to translate that!

somebody else can though and I'll be semi-interested.

Good point though, although the first time it happened there was some genuine fear.

That was absolutely hilarious, especially the second to last frame. I ROFL'ed IRL.

Irony's Acolyte:
Yeah, I have to agree, leitmotifs can really kill the horror after a bit. They can scare the beejesus out of you the first couple times, but then you get used to it and it just telegraphs that there are enemies in the area. Of course if those enemies are still terrify because they can still rape you or you can't shoot their dick off, the leitmotif remains scary. But when they're just another enemy in a long line of now-dickless enemies, the leitmotif loses its scare value.

That last part is so true, and really all it does is make you quickly reload, sigh, and start mowing them down. Especially if you just got a new gun then, for me anyways, that pretty much just fills me with glee because now I can try it out. When those bastards come from behind, I still think it's scary, although a bit cheap after while.

Captain Pancake:
like fuck am I going to translate that!

somebody else can though and I'll be semi-interested.

Good point though, although the first time it happened there was some genuine fear.

It was hit earlier, but I actually decoded it before I read the comments. (Yay me. God, I'm bored).

It says "Cory Rydell and Grey Carter will bury their burdens in blood / www.escapistmagazine.com"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here