Trailers: L.A. Noire Gameplay Series: Orientation

Pages 1 2 NEXT

L.A. Noire Gameplay Series: Orientation

Search for clues, interrogate witness, and fight crime in this orientation to L.A. Noire.

Watch Video

I am so excited for this badboy to come out, at first I dismissed it after such a long development cycle, but if it gives me a great noir story, then all is well

Has anything been said about a system to discourage collateral damage? Can't imagine a cop can get away with plowing through pedestrians in a car chase or killing citizens during a shootout.

Looks pretty good.

Hopefully the "stages of investigation" get mixed up appropriately to keep good pacing. I also hope that as much of this as possible has been developed and written by Team Bondi, since Rockstar themselves don't have the slightest clue in how to pace a story or a game.

This seems pretty cool, shame it isn't going to be released on PC.

Nice to see a game where the facial expressions of the characters really match the dialogue. Pre-ordered it about a month ago. =)

I think I have to change my pants now.

Those facial animations, my favourite setting...well, ever, something to do besides the action. It's pretty much everything I wanted Mafia 2 to be, and more! Oh lords I want this. Though I wonder whether the shooting action will also be just as good as Mafia 2's. That game had easily the best and most challenging shooter-based combat since the game that made it popular, Gears.

Woodsey:
Looks pretty good.

Hopefully the "stages of investigation" get mixed up appropriately to keep good pacing. I also hope that as much of this as possible has been developed and written by Team Bondi, since Rockstar themselves don't have the slightest clue in how to pace a story or a game.

Hmm, well, I must say that I found GTA: The Lost And Damned really well-written. I didn't care much for the original GTA4, but I adored TLAD. Now here's to hoping The Ballad Of Gay Tony will be just as good.

But I've never heard of Team Bondi though, wonder how they'll do.

Cowabungaa:

I think I have to change my pants now.

Those facial animations, the fact that it has everything Mafia 2 had and much more. Oh lords I want this.

Woodsey:
Looks pretty good.

Hmm, well, I must say that I found GTA: The Lost And Damned really well-written. I didn't care much for the original GTA4, but I adored TLAD. Now here's to hoping The Ballad Of Gay Tony will be just as good.

But I've never heard of Team Bondi though, wonder how they'll do.

Err, The Ballad of Gay Tony came out like a year ago.

As for R*'s writing ability, it can be quite good in terms of dialogue (RDR), but their character writing is inconsistent at best (both Niko and John Marston are walking contradictions) and their pacing is some of the worst I've ever had to endure.

There are essentially 2 plot points that happen in RDR's Mexico, TWO, and yet its the longest section of the game!

Woodsey:
I also hope that as much of this as possible has been developed and written by Team Bondi, since Rockstar themselves don't have the slightest clue in how to pace a story or a game.

Red Dead Redemption would like to have a word with you.
It was easily one of the best written games of last year. Of the past few years, really.

More on topic: This game looks kick-my-ass awesome. I can't wait to play the finished product. I really hope the detective work is a real part of the game, and not some 'in between missions' minigame-type thing. It doesn't look like it will be, but I'm pretty excited for a cop game to feature something that even remotely resembles police work, rather then a 'Streets of LA' style gun-fest.

Woodsey:

As for R*'s writing ability, it can be quite good in terms of dialogue (RDR), but their character writing is inconsistent at best (both Niko and John Marston are walking contradictions) and their pacing is some of the worst I've ever had to endure.

There are essentially 2 plot points that happen in RDR's Mexico, TWO, and yet its the longest section of the game!

I know, I just haven't played it yet. Well, I haven't played it past one of the early missions in which you have to steal a military helicopter. I can steal it just fine, but hunting down those little boats and landing the damned thing is a pain in the ass, especially when failing to land it means you have to do it aaaaall over again.

You're right about RDR though. Loved the setting and dialogue, but they failed hard at pacing and properly characterising the main character. Marston had a lot of potential, but they really screwed him up. And Mexico...don't get me started about fucking Mexico.

Real shame, but at least TLAD showed that they can do it despite them fucking up with RDR.

Baby Tea:
Red Dead Redemption would like to have a word with you. It was easily one of the best written games of last year. Of the past few years, really.

Eh, I wouldn't see why. Good, yeah, but the story was rather cliché and Marston was a real inconsistent guy. It's main strength was how the story was told, which was really really well, but they still rather screwed up characterisation and pasing. As Woodsey said, Mexico took waaaay too freakin' long while progressing the story fairly little.

Can't freakin' wait!!!

I admittedly don't buy or really appreciate Rockstar's games games as much as the next guy, but this one looks like something I'd really enjoy.

Best. Lipsync. EVAR.

*paws at the screen like a hungry dog*

Me want o__o

Cowabungaa:

Woodsey:

I know, I just haven't played it yet. Well, I haven't played it past one of the early missions in which you have to steal a military helicopter. I can steal it just fine, but hunting down those little boats and landing the damned thing is a pain in the ass, especially when failing to land it means you have to do it aaaaall over again.

Are you playing on the PC version as well? I keep wondering why they designed it to require three arms.

Oh my god this game is awesome! I seriously think this is going to be one of my top games of 2011

1947 LA? Wonder if they'll meet Roger Rabbit or something.

Knusper:
This seems pretty cool, shame it isn't going to be released on PC.

I will be in the corner, sulking.

Well...Lucky I already payed off my Preorder....I JUST WANT IT NOW

Moonpooman:

Cowabungaa:

Woodsey:

Are you playing on the PC version as well? I keep wondering why they designed it to require three arms.

Yeah I am, bought it during the previous Christmas sale. Well that explains it. Better give Zaphod a ring and ask for his plastic surgeon's number.

Well it looks awesome but I hate cops and wish I could be a criminal, oh well.

looks great, although i think the game could do with a little extra oomph in the visuals department to keep up with the whole "motion scan" thing. The lighting looked a little static and uneaven and it took me out of the scene a bit. Maybe the current gen consoles are finally showing their age (or maybe i have been playing to much metro 2033) but i hop there is a PC version with some nice graphical bells and whistles to really make the "playing a crime thriller" experience really pop like it did in Mafia II.

Well, it does look really interesting, but I don't want to wind up with another Mafia 2. (probably a good game, but it never lived up to my expectations. I wanted a sandbox game. I did not get a sandbox game.)
That being said, if I could live with a game like this that's not a sandbox game, it'd be nice. But I'd prefer a sandbox game. I believe sandbox games are clearly more fun.

Also, the alleged uncanny valley has never bothered me before... until I saw this. Something is off, really.

Chances are I'll pick it up (definitely if it is a sandbox game, maybe if it's not a sandbox game).

Phelps' head was a touch big, but actually it all looked very good.

That gameplay trailer was odd though. Who was the audience for it? That strange Casey Kasem narration really seemed.. old? It didn't really excite, it was more educational for an corporate audience that might not even play video games.

That was my vibe anyways.

Baby Tea:

Woodsey:
I also hope that as much of this as possible has been developed and written by Team Bondi, since Rockstar themselves don't have the slightest clue in how to pace a story or a game.

Red Dead Redemption would like to have a word with you.
It was easily one of the best written games of last year. Of the past few years, really.

"ROCKSTAR THEMSELVES DON'T HAVE THE SLIGHTEST CLUE IN HOW TO PACE A STORY OR A GAME."

Not write, but specifically pace.

Although in response to what you said (which wasn't a response to what I said), the story was fairly good and the dialogue was strong. The writing of Marston's character was inconsistent at best.

One minute he's noble and impatient with morons, the next minute he's letting some other morons rape a bunch of women whilst they tell him that if he helps the just this last time, they'll tell him what he wants to know. For the fifth time.

It also suffers from having interesting characters who they just let fall by the wayside.

Virtually all of Mexico is filler, and one specific character is introduced for the sole purposes of being killed and showing how another character is a misogynistic arse hole; which we've already seen since he's been bossing Marston around for the past 5 hours whilst the story goes nowhere and he rapes a bunch of women.

Jumpin' jiminy, this looks amazing. Oh God, please don't let this new motion capture technology be just another stupid gimmick. If this turns out like most people are expecting it to, I'm buying.

Oh, my good lord. There is absolutely zero uncanny valley. That technolgy is amazing. It's just gorgeous. Ok yes the game looks great and I'm not a graphics whore yadda yadda yadda but dude serously LOOK AT THAT SHIT its fantastic!

WANT THIS GAME NOAW!

Seriously, Rockstar really do know how to push the envelope, certainly where gameplay and technology are concerned. REALLY looking forward to this.

Woodsey:
Looks pretty good.

Hopefully the "stages of investigation" get mixed up appropriately to keep good pacing.

I agree, this was my worry too. I can see the game ending up going the way of the first Assassin's Creed. Go to area -> Investigate scene -> Carry out interrogation -> Carry out suspect questioning -> Have enough evidence to assassinate arrest suspect. Repeat ad nauseam. But I have enough faith in Rockstar to hope that they'll make it engaging and varied.

Wow this is like the "order" to Grand Thief Auto but a lot more than that! I wonder what happen if you decide to drive wildly but not in a driving shoot out?

Just can't wait! I'm so hooked by every aspect of this game. I just hope they get all the bugs fixed (If there are any) cuz it's gunna be hard reading people's faces if the character mod develops a 'twitch'.

This trailer should be shown to anyone that thinks games are just "hurr durr shooting real life violence". This trailer presented the game as more than just the next GTA-ish game from Rockstar.

This does look really awesome.
Wonder how good it will be once it hits the streets... :)

Them faces. My god, them faces! I wonder if this will follow the usual trend of Rockstar games from recent years and look great on the Xbox but horribly nerfed on the PS3. I'd prefer to buy it on the PS3.

Please port a game right for once guys. Please.

Its like MAFIA II, but only fun n' good. Kind of crosses with Heavy Rain. I'm not much into graphics, but they really are out of uncanny valley. 2011 is really looking promising. GTA, only as you play as a cop, pure awesome.

Obvious game of the year is obvious.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or