Critical Miss: God Emperor of Steam #1

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Fenring:
Everyone knows God Emperors are supposed to be half sandworm! What is this?!

The spinning KFC was pretty funny.

LOL This is a pure spot on satire of Watchmen XD

Badass

Was that the AVGN?

A fan of Watchmen I see.

Kudos.

wooty:
Hahaha, very satirical this week, very witty....as if Gabe Newell could move that quickly

If Steams release dates could only move that quick

Scarim Coral:
They should know better not to disturb a man from eating his KFC meal. Also Erin must be frail or he was super strong to impale her hand with the KFC plastic fork.

Actually if you look at pannel 2 closely you will see that he actually impales her hand with a Spork, an even more amazing feat.

OUCH
the hand

Scrumpmonkey:

Scarim Coral:
They should know better not to disturb a man from eating his KFC meal. Also Erin must be frail or he was super strong to impale her hand with the KFC plastic fork.

Actually if you look at pannel 2 closely you will see that he actually impales her hand with a Spork, an even more amazing feat.

Well spotted, good sir!
And now I'm even more sorry for her... Seriously, a spork trough the hand hurts like hell. Can't even imagine. Seems like they'll be having trouble handling Gabe.
Really looking forward to the next one.

wooty:
Hahaha, very satirical this week, very witty....as if Gabe Newell could move that quickly

I rarely REALLY laugh out loud at things I see on the internet but this week got a chuckle from me.

Given Gabe's bulk though I think they probably should have used The Kingpin who is a character who is that side and moves that quick as well.

Ozzy is cool, but I'd still think Gabe's lair would be more king-pin like. But it was still a brilliant choice, and not by strip.

Sadly we won't be able to see other Valve employees make apperances as Marvel knock-down villains (Hammerhead, Rhino, etc...). :)

But then again The Kingpin typically loses, and well... Ozy doesn't.

Now we need to wonder who is going to play the role of Dr. Manhatten in #2. :)

Fenring:

So... it fits.

And yeah, the spinning KFC bucket was pretty awesome.

Awesome!

I'm reading Watchmen right now, too, and it looks like you guys nearly copy-pasta'd the few action panels. Dialogue too.

And normally I'd hate that...but it just makes it all the more awesome!

So. Much. Watchmen. Even in the line at the bottom!

Good job. I like it so far. And I'm sure you've made a lot of fans happy by finally ending this arc (or at least starting to, I see you '#1').

And although KFC ain't that bad, I'm a Popeye's man myself. The Kentucky taste is no match for the Cajun goodness that is Popeye's chicken. Plus the biscuits are worlds better.

"The rest of the biscuits?

I ate them thirty-five minutes ago."

Scarim Coral:

It was a spork.

Ah, I see we're continuing with the Watchmen Parody.

(Doing my best Jeremy Irons impression, a la Lion King) Oh, goody.

"Gabe... when did you plan to do all of this?"
"Do It?"
" I released Episode 3 Thirty Five Minutes Ago."

Fenring:

I thought the exact same thing clicking into this thread!

I'm afraid to start up Steam now >.>

Valve, Dune, Watchmen, Slowbro... All in one comic. Nerd overload! The KFC is just the icing on the cake.
I think I may actually have experienced a nerdgasm over this

I give my life for the emperor, if that's whats asked.

Ha Ha nice ozimandia parody

Ooh, the man has some moves.

Grey Carter:

The Republic Serial Villain.

So Gabe took the double Gamers down? ;)

Quis fumodiet ipsos Fumo?

A plastic spork would sting alright. Especially if it was somehow jammed into your hand. I mean it's teeth are tiny so in order to stick your hand to the table it's got to really get in there.

if gabe sees this, episode 3 is never coming out lol

not like it is anytime soon :p

The art on these just keeps getting better and better. However I do have a question, On the fourth panel, is Erin dodging or being hit? The motion of Gabe is very clear and was obviously carefully planned and executed, but given the degree of Erin's twist, I would say she was dodging. On closer inspection, I have concluded that she was struck, which is all well and good, but if i could offer some suggestions....

First I applaud you on your lack of sound effects, as I feel they are rather overused, but in its current state, the reader might be unsure of what happened. If you grasp the edge of a table (to simulate being pinned there with a sport), you can actually get a lot of twist before you have to move your hand, so perhaps more spin is whats needed. Either way, I just though I'd stop in and give you my thoughts, I love the comic, and the art is honestly, impressive looking at where it came from. Keep up the good work guys, lord knows I'll be back for more laughs.

Grimsinger:
The art on these just keeps getting better and better. However I do have a question, On the fourth panel, is Erin dodging or being hit? The motion of Gabe is very clear and was obviously carefully planned and executed, but given the degree of Erin's twist, I would say she was dodging. On closer inspection, I have concluded that she was struck, which is all well and good, but if i could offer some suggestions....

First I applaud you on your lack of sound effects, as I feel they are rather overused, but in its current state, the reader might be unsure of what happened. If you grasp the edge of a table (to simulate being pinned there with a sport), you can actually get a lot of twist before you have to move your hand, so perhaps more spin is whats needed. Either way, I just though I'd stop in and give you my thoughts, I love the comic, and the art is honestly, impressive looking at where it came from. Keep up the good work guys, lord knows I'll be back for more laughs.

I agree it wasn't clear whether or not Erin is taking the blow and I did consider using either a sound effect or some kind of explamation from Erin to indicate she's being hit. Buuut the strip is based, pretty much panel for panel, on the original Watchmen panels and they didn't use sound effects or motion lines. I thought authenticity was more important in this case.

Grey Carter:

Grimsinger:

I agree it wasn't clear whether or not Erin is taking the blow and I did consider using either a sound effect or some kind of explamation from Erin to indicate she's being hit. Buuut the strip is based, pretty much panel for panel, on the original Watchmen panels and they didn't use sound effects or motion lines. I thought authenticity was more important in this case.

Since its directly based on Watchmen, then hot having any sound was the right call to make. Man i can't believe I didn't catch that, its been a few years since I read Watchmen last. (probably because I don't really like Alan Moore's writing) I think the only difference is that Rorschach, while having about the same angle from the ground plane, had a much more arched back, causing the balance to looked forced rather than the less extreme arch one would use while dodging. His head is thrown more up and back, because the backhand had come from bellow because it is the same hand using the fork. His wide splayed hand also added to the feeling of unbalance, because no one throws their arm out like that, unless trying to correct extremely off balance.

......I just realized you might find all this insulting.....or something? That's not my intention, I'm a huge believer in the medium of comics, and thus, try to toss out suggestions when I can. I too am sequential artist, and I hope that when my projects hit the web, someone will give me all the critique they can. Some times I forget not all people would appreciate it, so if I've offended you, I'm deeply sorry.

Croaker42:

wooty:

Gabe lives partly in another dimension that is based on steam time. It turns out steam time is whatever Gabe wants it to be. Its not that Gabe moves that quickly, it's that we can not comprehend his frame of time.

OT; I love this story.
I think a Coffee Table book needs to be made. Gabe is best badass.

Whoa. He just stabbed her with a spork.

A spork. Thats like, the pain of a spoon AND a fork combined! I would hate to be her right now.

shadyh8er:
So, what exactly did Gabe do 35 minutes ago?

Shut down Steam.

What, its only been like 8 pages since this strip started, time travels fast in ComicLand.

Firstly so happy that you're finishing this arch. Great comic and i actually like the new font i think it looks good.

Grimsinger:

Grey Carter:

Grimsinger:

Since its directly based on Watchmen, then hot having any sound was the right call to make. Man i can't believe I didn't catch that, its been a few years since I read Watchmen last. (probably because I don't really like Alan Moore's writing) I think the only difference is that Rorschach, while having about the same angle from the ground plane, had a much more arched back, causing the balance to looked forced rather than the less extreme arch one would use while dodging. His head is thrown more up and back, because the backhand had come from bellow because it is the same hand using the fork. His wide splayed hand also added to the feeling of unbalance, because no one throws their arm out like that, unless trying to correct extremely off balance.

......I just realized you might find all this insulting.....or something? That's not my intention, I'm a huge believer in the medium of comics, and thus, try to toss out suggestions when I can. I too am sequential artist, and I hope that when my projects hit the web, someone will give me all the critique they can. Some times I forget not all people would appreciate it, so if I've offended you, I'm deeply sorry.

Not at all. I welcome criticism providing it isn't the usual tripe about CAD and gamer comics in general and your comments about the art are accurate and informed.

That and I certainly don't think Cory is going to be offended by being told he's not quite as good as David Gibbons.

Grey Carter:

Grimsinger:

Grey Carter:

snip

Not at all. I welcome criticism providing it isn't the usual tripe about CAD and gamer comics in general and your comments about the art are accurate and informed.

That and I certainly don't think Cory is going to be offended by being told he's not quite as good as David Gibbons.

Dave Gibbons is one of those guys me and all my friends wish we could be as good as, but know that'll probably never happen. :P By the way, I was rather surprised that you responded at all, in my experience, when faced with critique, most comics artist on the internet either ignore it, or delete it. So I gotta say, I appreciate and respect that you took the time to respond to my posts.

KFC the ultimate choice of weapon. lol.

where's her face, though? :(
also...can't help but feel like you're gonna kill her off soon :P

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook