The Big Picture: Mystery Science Theater 3000

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

"Trumpy, you can do stupid things!"

Also, "It stinks!"

Ahh good old MST3K ...

I actually found a torrent that has the entire series in it, quality is mixed,and about 150GB of my hard drive is now and forever dedicated to it, but I'm glad to have it all the same. Anyone who hasn't seen it definitely should - they have a bunch of episodes available on Netflix these days.

Also Micheal J. Nelson all the way!

Can't imagine someone not loving MST3K but if you are that one I've got sympathy for you.

My most vivid memory of the show is the episode where they showed "Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Suddenly Stopped Living and Became Mixed Up Zombies", a film so terrible that even the valiant efforts of the MST3K cast were unable to save it. Were they to weaponize a movie for evil, that train wreck (train wreck used because no known language can properly express how awful the movie really was) would be a prime candidate.

It is almost certain that MST3K is the reason that, to this day, I take a perverse pleasure in watching terrible movies. Uwe Boll films are some of the best in this regard as they tend to fall in that incredible space of moving past "bad" into the "so bad it's good" category, which is a surprisingly wide gulf. So wide in fact that I have only seen two movies that have managed to make it to the other side into the realm of "So bad I can no longer believe anyone responsible really set out to make a good movie" territory (The aforementioned ISCWSSLaBMUZ and Battlefield Earth).

Seriously? I've got nothing more to say than "THIS".

The third greatest show of all time.

Doctor Who comes first (obviously), and The Twilight Zone comes second.

"If you're wondering how he eats and breathes,
And other science facts,
Repeat to yourself "It's just a show,
I should really just relax."

The Dead Talk Back, starring the inimitable Aldo Farnese as Mr. Krasker. This one still gets me rolling on the floor.

"With thirty-four cylinders, the cars of yesteryear were impossible to flood."

"I can't hear it very clearly."
"That's 'cause it's a RAZOR BLADE IN A GLASS!!"

Mst3k? ...*sniff* I havent watch bobs vid. But I love you man. I loved mst3k with all my black little heart. I'm saving this show for when I can be alone..... And I don't care how creepy that sounds.

Yea. I would say that's probably one of my all time favorites as well.
It was like Up All Night but with Gilbert Gottfried watching the movie with you.
If you dig that show, you should also check out Woody Allen's first movie "What's Up Tiger Lily"

Eclectic Dreck:
My most vivid memory of the show is the episode where they showed "Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Suddenly Stopped Living and Became Mixed Up Zombies", [ ... ]

"Cinematography by Zapruder."

"Oh, he should not frolic."

"I think what she's trying to say here is SLEEEEEEEP!"

Oh, so this is how people got to know manos.

Brrr... Manos =S

Rumpelstiltskin:
Oh, so this is how people got to know manos.

Brrr... Manos =S

"Every frame of this movie looks like someone's last-known photograph."

"Uh, that's not how you wear your Depends, Torgo."
"Been hittin' the Thighmaster, Torgo?"

Wayyy before my time. The first episode was before I was even born.

I have heard of it before though. Although I've never really had any interest in watching them.

This is something my dad would have watched as a teen or something.

ProjectTrinity:
Nice to get an insight on your favorite show.

Did you ever see it? I'd have to second Bob's recommendation if you haven't. And there's full episodes on netflix's streaming service.

MovieBob:
Mystery Science Theater 3000

MovieBob's got major movie sign.

Watch Video

Hey Bob, which episode would you suggest newcomers begin on? I think I'd have to go with Hobgoblins.

Well i heard a lot about this show but never watch it realy, now i think i gonna to.

Also, guys do u think there are exist all series recorded? (maybe some fans got it on vhs where it was airing)

damn fuckin Escapist ...
STOP with the ads :(
p.s. THE ADVENTURE CONTINUES SUCKS BALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ghengis John:
Hey Bob, which episode would you suggest newcomers begin on? I think I'd have to go with Hobgoblins.

Oh, I think that one falls under Advanced Topics. (So also does Manos, I'm afraid. You need to build up a tolerance before tackling that one.)

I'd recommend Space Mutiny, just for it's sheer 1980's cheese, excellent riffing, as well as one of the most glaringly hilarious continuity errors ever.

Also good intros are any of the Japanese movies they did -- any of the Godzilla movies, any of the Gamera movies, Invasion of The Neptune Men, Prince of Space, Fugitive Alien and Fugitive Alien II.

Also consider the works of some of the "great" schlock filmmakers -- Bert I. Gordon (The Amazing Colossal Man, Beginning of The End), and Ed Wood (Bride of The Monster).

Also try to work in there The Day The Earth Froze.

HELL YEAH! MST3K IS THE BEST SHOW EVER! YOU ARE NOW COOLER THAN GOD TO ME!
BTW; I own all the episodes of this show, recorded them on good ol' VHS, then transferred them to DVD a few years ago. I am a MSTie.

As long as we're talking about MST3K, my list of my favorite worst movies of all time (in no particular order):

The Room, Troll 2, Turkish Star Wars, After Last Season, Manos: The Hands Of Fate, Santa Claus Conquers The Martians, Monster A-Go-Go, Parts: The Clonus Horror, Hobgoblins, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Reefer Madness, Battlefield Earth, Batman And Robin, etc. etc.

I've heard it's like a cross between robot chicken and every scifi channel orginal movie ever made, is this accurate?

Though I personally do not care for the style of MST3K show, it is nice to see an episode related to why I think x or this is where x comes from. Would be interested in seeing more of these kind of episodes. I would like to see more of this.

It looks like you are going to do a show on why x show worked or didn't. A good example of a good show being on that failed to take off because of the channel it is The Middleman. A great show that was on ABC family. A good show that got canceled because of content might be Titus done by comedian Christopher Titus. I know you probably have some examples already(probably better as well) thought it might help.

My best friend told me about MST3K on the playground when I was a wee lad. Our local PBS affiliate played it very early morning, and he apparently taped it or got up early to watch it or something. Easily one of the best things I ever programmed a VCR to record.

I think is this the REAL reason Bob did a MST3K episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iqLhdInGrk

First time I heard about the show was from Jeph Jacques, who said the excact same thing: that this was were his humour came from. I think I'll give this questionable content a look.

Sylocat:
I checked out some of the RiffTrax and Cinematic Titanic stuff. It made me want to grab the cast, shake them and yell, "You're all just making half-assed MST3K! Why don't you just get back together and make the real thing again?!"

I really want to start some kind of mass fan movement to get everything going that way. I'm not sure if they would want to go on that route or even if they can, but they're all gravitating around it sans-puppets and complete casts anyhow and the fan support is definitely still there. :(

I think my VHS tapes (both bought and recorded from comedy central/scifi) of that show would still qualify as a prized possession or memory that I keep around, but for the tech savvy they were all put out there (save the first and second KTMA eps that were never re-aired) one way or another under a digital archival project inspired by their 'keep circulating the tapes' message at the end of each broadcast. My cds of the show were sadly stolen :( Yes, I am that huge a dork....

I am curious how it looks to those that didn't experience it during that time it was on the air, but I suppose it's just as varied as it was then, just for different reasons. Their attitude behind it was golden and still remains so from all I've seen, I'm just happy other people got half as much enjoyment out of them as I have and truly hope they continue on a path where we get to see them more.

I suppose I'll list my favorites and all to the pile as well-

Earth vs The Spider -- for teaching me blocking techniques
Pod People --- Trumpy's magic!
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians --- Pills for dinner? What are we, Judy Garland?
Master Ninja 1-2 -- for the theme song
Attack of the the Eye Creatures ---is that a typo?! the breakdown at the end is possibly the greatest thing ever
Manos: The Hands of Fate -- You couldn't ask for a better movie by a fertilizer salesman
I Accuse My Parents --- possibly for the 'chicken of tomorrow' short that ran before it
Mitchell -- Chase scene with turn signals in use = awesome and Baker's interviews upon it hitting made it all the better
Danger!!! Death Ray - for peaceful purposes...
Red Zone Cuba -- Guard....water....sick man
Samson vs The Vampire Women -- If you don't laugh hysterically when the main character enters, you have no sense of humor
Deathstalker and The Warriors from Hell -- Trucks Artist? Cool, could you paint my van?
The Incredible Melting Man-- I'm Doctor Ted Nelson!
Parts: The Clonus Horror -- Mainly as it was remade without credit recently
Riding with Death -- Truckers have such cute names for sex
The Creeping Terror -- He's making his own gravy!
Prince of Space --Ha...heh...heh...heh
Space Mutiny-- the buff names you could quote all day and more
Thepumaman -- Puma Man may have been good, but luckily Thepumaman gets added super-powers of innate knowledge of home wiring and flight.... just like a Puma!
Hobgoblins -- Someone's rubbing puppets on us!!!
The Final Sacrifice --- Rowsdower!

Some of these are easier to new viewers than others, especially due to pacing differences and humor involved and all. New viewers I'd go with something fast paced and not overly referential. I think Santa Claus Conquers the Martians is about perfect for new viewers in my experience and I've also had luck with The Puma Man and The Incredible Melting Man off the above list. Starting off with some of them before you've acquired the taste for it would likely be brutal.

I have always heard about how fantastic this show was. and with my many searches to stores, many of the people behind the counter had never heard of it.
I need to look harder.

You don't get much more 90's than Mystery Science Theater 3000. Maybe Clerks... Maybe

wow, i watch MST3K for hte first time yesterday on youtube, today you talk about it.

MovieBob:
Mystery Science Theater 3000

MovieBob's got major movie sign.

Watch Video

HEY BOB! YA CAN WATCH SCIENCE MYSTERY THEATER 3000 ON NETFLIX!

Three cheers for MST3K, that show is a true classic.

In addition to DVD, several episodes are available for purchase or rental via Apple's iTunes Store.

Thanks Bob. With all the back episodes of MS3TK on Netflix my love for this show continues to this day. And the Rifftrax live events are like miniature concerts for all the nerdiest people within a 30 miles of the movie theaters.

Dang, I love MST3K. One of the best comedy shows America has every had. A true classic in every sense of the word. Now I really want to watch it again... To Netflix! Away!

Nice episode :D

I always thought it was called Mystery Science Fiction Theater 3000, now I'm saved from possible future embarrassment ^^

dragomort:

Sylocat:
I checked out some of the RiffTrax and Cinematic Titanic stuff. It made me want to grab the cast, shake them and yell, "You're all just making half-assed MST3K! Why don't you just get back together and make the real thing again?!"

I really want to start some kind of mass fan movement to get everything going that way. I'm not sure if they would want to go on that route or even if they can, but they're all gravitating around it sans-puppets and complete casts anyhow and the fan support is definitely still there. :(

I think my VHS tapes (both bought and recorded from comedy central/scifi) of that show would still qualify as a prized possession or memory that I keep around, but for the tech savvy they were all put out there (save the first and second KTMA eps that were never re-aired) one way or another under a digital archival project inspired by their 'keep circulating the tapes' message at the end of each broadcast. My cds of the show were sadly stolen :( Yes, I am that huge a dork....

I am curious how it looks to those that didn't experience it during that time it was on the air, but I suppose it's just as varied as it was then, just for different reasons. Their attitude behind it was golden and still remains so from all I've seen, I'm just happy other people got half as much enjoyment out of them as I have and truly hope they continue on a path where we get to see them more.

I suppose I'll list my favorites and all to the pile as well-

Earth vs The Spider -- for teaching me blocking techniques
Pod People --- Trumpy's magic!
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians --- Pills for dinner? What are we, Judy Garland?
Master Ninja 1-2 -- for the theme song
Attack of the the Eye Creatures ---is that a typo?! the breakdown at the end is possibly the greatest thing ever
Manos: The Hands of Fate -- You couldn't ask for a better movie by a fertilizer salesman
I Accuse My Parents --- possibly for the 'chicken of tomorrow' short that ran before it
Mitchell -- Chase scene with turn signals in use = awesome and Baker's interviews upon it hitting made it all the better
Danger!!! Death Ray - for peaceful purposes...
Red Zone Cuba -- Guard....water....sick man
Samson vs The Vampire Women -- If you don't laugh hysterically when the main character enters, you have no sense of humor
Deathstalker and The Warriors from Hell -- Trucks Artist? Cool, could you paint my van?
The Incredible Melting Man-- I'm Doctor Ted Nelson!
Parts: The Clonus Horror -- Mainly as it was remade without credit recently
Riding with Death -- Truckers have such cute names for sex
The Creeping Terror -- He's making his own gravy!
Prince of Space --Ha...heh...heh...heh
Space Mutiny-- the buff names you could quote all day and more
Thepumaman -- Puma Man may have been good, but luckily Thepumaman gets added super-powers of innate knowledge of home wiring and flight.... just like a Puma!
Hobgoblins -- Someone's rubbing puppets on us!!!
The Final Sacrifice --- Rowsdower!

Some of these are easier to new viewers than others, especially due to pacing differences and humor involved and all. New viewers I'd go with something fast paced and not overly referential. I think Santa Claus Conquers the Martians is about perfect for new viewers in my experience and I've also had luck with The Puma Man and The Incredible Melting Man off the above list. Starting off with some of them before you've acquired the taste for it would likely be brutal.

I used to have VHS tapes of most of those you listed and a few that I can't remember now, I do remember a Russian film they did that involved a bear. I used to tape those episodes, but those tapes are long gone, and I wish I could watch them. Google and Netflix is really the only two places that I'm aware of that I can still watch those anymore. Makes me sad.

Also,
When
you want
the flavor of bacon
in a dip

They don't make shows like that anymore. At least, not syndicated ones.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here