Review: Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Review: Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

Capcom delivers a game of heroic proportions.

Read Full Article

Ending made so happy. If online plays a big issue I don't care, getting some friends over to play this.

Well I'm slightly devastated to hear they've done that to the online mode, but it's still a day one purchase for me!

"She couldn't handle the pipe..."

So funny!

I've been trying to get into BlazBlue: Continuum Shift, but I even fail in the TUTORIALS. The tutorials! God! This being the case - it might be nice to get into a "noob-friendly" fighting game to stretch my thumbs out first, THEN jump into the complexity inherent in BlazBlue - and I do want to play BlazBlue because it does suck me in. It's just... hard.

So maybe MvC3 is a good place for nubs who've only ever played DoA2 to start playing fighting games?

Fighters are the only games I like exclusive to consoles and MvC is a favorite of mine. It's hard being a PC only gamer sometimes, but consoles are expensive and, unlike my PC, are not needed for my job.

This game is out!?
Sweet! Something to buy during the weekend!

so wait, did they reduce the number of characters to cut down on redundancy, or so they could sell us DLC in a month? sounds like they're gearing up to sell a $80 game, like the good ol' N64 days.

Own this game and loving it. I'm just disappointed that after hyping up some form of story, we didn't really get one. It was your standard fighter story. Which is a bit of a shame, but whatev's.

I also wish the character's endings were longer. After Steet Figher 4's fully voiced, animated endings, it feels like a bit of a letdown. They could have at least made it longer then about 15 or so lines of dialog. Sometimes less.

For those who are wondering what the endings are like, think Soul Caliber, but shorter.

EDIT: Oh, I feel I should mention that most of the more advanced stuff can be found in the manual. Just look through it and it should tell you quite a bit.

Not too fussed about the online stuff, more a game for playing with people in the same room.

Really wanna know how that fight ended, guessing amaterasu was piped xD

Sgt. Dante:
Really wanna know how that fight ended, guessing amaterasu was piped xD

Something to the effect of "I punched your dog to death." It was a pretty cool near simultaneous hyper combo at the finish too, unfortunately the audio didn't come out as well as the part I used in the video.

So looking foward to this game. Hopefully I'll get to delivered a day before the release date (Friday here in the UK).

I am still vexed at the lack of a proper single player mode; it was the same problem with Street Fighter and TvC and CAPCOM doesn't seem to understand that yet. After playing the story modes in Blazblue and Smash Bros Brawl it just seems half-assed to not have one. Grinding through arcade 30+ times to see character endings is just BORING. It is still MECHANICALLY sound, but content wise MvC3 is lacking compared to its modern peers

This is a game where I wanna get people over to play it with. Online doesn't concern me too much. I am loving this game so far.

"She couldn't handle the pipe"...? That's just wrong. xD

Ah, just a few more days. Should be right on time for me to relax after 5 weeks of studying and exams.

Definitely buying when its out in the UK, or friday.

Aiddon:
I am still vexed at the lack of a proper single player mode; it was the same problem with Street Fighter and TvC and CAPCOM doesn't seem to understand that yet. After playing the story modes in Blazblue and Smash Bros Brawl it just seems half-assed to not have one. Grinding through arcade 30+ times to see character endings is just BORING. It is still MECHANICALLY sound, but content wise MvC3 is lacking compared to its modern peers

Capcoms fighting games can only really be compared to the previous Capcom fighting game, no matter what it is. It's true some people will get sick of the same formula if its used for 20 years, but alot more people will be pissed if they start trying to replicate a single player mode like in Brawl. Besides this game is more to play on multiplayer, another thing it shares in common with other Capcom fighters.

That said you might as well take the arcade mode as an practice run against multiple random characters to see if you know how to use that character as well as you think you do.

Also to see all the endings you have to grind through 38 times, and the DLC's arent even out yet.

Catface Meowmers:
so wait, did they reduce the number of characters to cut down on redundancy, or so they could sell us DLC in a month? sounds like they're gearing up to sell a $80 game, like the good ol' N64 days.

Its a bit of both and something else.

As you say its to sell some optional DLC if we want it.

As the review mentioned its also to cut at redundancy.

Its also because getting some characters to work properly in the game turned out to be more difficult than you would think. Human Torch was originally in, but deconfirmed because while he had a big enough moveset to be in the game, his flame graphics induced major lag so he was dropped and replaced with Super-Skrull. Another deconfirmee is Frank West, (Dead Rising, in case you dont know) while the exact reason why hes deconfirmed is still unknown, Capcom stated that he was proving more trouble than he was worth, therefore he was dropped.

I rented the game, and so far I'm loving it. I loved MvC2 and I'm not a huge fan of fighting games, but this game is pretty awesome.

Edit: I find it rather annoying that some characters have to be unlocked though.

Looks cool but i'm only buying it if Phoenix Wright ends up being announced as one of the inevitable DLC characters, otherwise i'll pass/wait a year

I was wondering this and no offense to the 360, but why are lots of fighters reviewed on 360 and yet the ps3 has the better controller for fighting games?

gigastar:
As you say its to sell some optional DLC if we want it.

As the review mentioned its also to cut at redundancy.

Its also because getting some characters to work properly in the game turned out to be more difficult than you would think. Human Torch was originally in, but deconfirmed because while he had a big enough moveset to be in the game, his flame graphics induced major lag so he was dropped and replaced with Super-Skrull. Another deconfirmee is Frank West, (Dead Rising, in case you dont know) while the exact reason why hes deconfirmed is still unknown, Capcom stated that he was proving more trouble than he was worth, therefore he was dropped.

If I recall correctly, Frank West was removed because of balance issues.

Catface Meowmers:

A little of column A and a little of column B, but honestly, how much different was War Machine compared to Iron Man, or Bone Claw Wolverine, to regular Wolverine.

sheic99:

gigastar:
Me blathering on about something.

That wouldnt make sense. Its easy to adjust a characters attack, defence, attack speed and health to achieve a balance of some kind and even then it can be fine tuned in post-release patches.

For example Dante has 40+ special moves that means he should be able to chain for some pretty creative and horrificly painful combos, but to balance that he has relatively low attack power. And some specials can only be comboed from other specials.

Another, better, example would be Zero. Its abundantly clear the guy can stunlock you for the entire duration of the match, but thats balanced not just by his relatively low health, its also balanced out by a charge system that forces players to alternate between different attacks.

A last example is Pheonix, its quite clear after her Ressurection hyper her health slowly decreases. Also worth noting that the Healing field hyper only works in close quarters to the opponent. She also has perhaps the lowest overall health even considering the Ressurection hyper.

Catface Meowmers:

Along with what others have already posted, you have to keep in mind that none of the work for MvC3 had been done already, unlike what was the case with MvC2. MvC2 basically just pulled almost any character who had a 2D sprite created for a previous Capcom fighter and stuck them in one game with a few tweaks here and there so that they all sort of meshed. MvC3 is running on a new fully 3D engine (though the gameplay remains 2D, just as in SF4) so every character found in MvC3 had to be created from the ground up. Though most of the old cast retain many of their old moves in appearance, there's really no easy way to go from an ancient 2D pixel sprite like Morrigan sported for 15+ years into a brand new 3D model.

Aiddon:
I am still vexed at the lack of a proper single player mode;

I actually have to agree with this. Outside of the lack of Strider, this is really something that has cost Capcom an immediate sale with me. I fully recognize that fighters are meant to be played as multiplayer games, and they certainly are their best when experienced that way, but that doesn't excuse the lack of some sort of single player value. Even a more in depth training set up and some sort of short story campaign would have made a difference. I was already standing in the store today with the game box staring back at me, but I just couldn't pull the trigger knowing that if I wasn't in the mood for competitive PvP play the game would have nothing to offer me.

Wow MVC2 had you spectate and the same rooms, and MVC3 CAN'T?! wtf, did they some how lose technology.

gigastar:

sheic99:

gigastar:

That wouldnt make sense. Its easy to adjust a characters attack, defence, attack speed and health to achieve a balance of some kind and even then it can be fine tuned in post-release patches.

For example Dante has 40+ special moves that means he should be able to chain for some pretty creative and horrificly painful combos, but to balance that he has relatively low attack power. And some specials can only be comboed from other specials.

Another, better, example would be Zero. Its abundantly clear the guy can stunlock you for the entire duration of the match, but thats balanced not just by his relatively low health, its also balanced out by a charge system that forces players to alternate between different attacks.

A last example is Pheonix, its quite clear after her Ressurection hyper her health slowly decreases. Also worth noting that the Healing field hyper only works in close quarters to the opponent. She also has perhaps the lowest overall health even considering the Ressurection hyper.

That's what I remember, it may not be true, but I'm far too lazy to go look at this point.

gigastar:

sheic99:

gigastar:

That wouldnt make sense.

Frank was removed for technical reasons, not balance reasons. Capcom couldn't get him to play as he does in TvC without his moves (specifically zombie summons) causing extreme lag in the new engine, particularly in online play.

Take heart, though, as some of the coding relating to Frank is still on the disc even if his resources (gfx, sfx, etc.) are not. It's obvious he was taken out very late in the development process and, as such, it's pretty likely he will be back as DLC at some point once Capcom is able to repurpose all of the work they've already done on him.

Rationalization:
Wow MVC2 had you spectate and the same rooms, and MVC3 CAN'T?! wtf, did they some how lose technology.

Different games and different tech. You could spectate in SF4 too. *shrug* Supposedly a working lobby system with actual spectating is one of the most important things Capcom has recognized and is working on for a downloadable patch/update to the game.

StriderShinryu:

Rationalization:

Different games and different tech. You could spectate in SF4 too. *shrug* Supposedly a working lobby system with actual spectating is one of the most important things Capcom has recognized and is working on for a downloadable patch/update to the game.

Do you know where they said that? I dont want to get my hopes up for nothing. I know my friends are going to be on that game all day but I'm not good enough to fight a lot(win and not get sent to the bottom), and to not even get to see their matches would make this a pretty pointless buy.

With phrases like "After Street fighter IV raised the bar" I have to wonder how many fighters you play. But I'm happy you enjoyed yourself at any rate and you did profess not to be a huge fan of them. I've been hearing from a lot of friends of mine this game's quite fun. What I'd like to know is how the game stacks up against other fast fighters. I heard it has a light, medium, heavy and special layout like BB. That true?

It's about time Morrigan got a visual update. How long did it take Capcom, about twelve years?! This isn't Duke Nukem!

Korten12:
I was wondering this and no offense to the 360, but why are lots of fighters reviewed on 360 and yet the ps3 has the better controller for fighting games?

There's actually a huge variety of controllers for both and most guys that are really into fighting games play them on sticks, anyways. Was just at a local Tekken tournament the other week and me along with 60+ other people played on a bunch of 360s with arcade sticks. :P

Aiddon:

I don't know. The fact that Blazblue has a story doesn't by any stretch mean that it's a story worth following. Basically if I wanted some weird Japanese story telling, I'd go straight for visual novels... at least they payoff.

Continuum Shift did fix a lot of the issues with Calamity Trigger (like SSF4 did with the vanilla SF4) though and it's a really good technical fighter that has exemplary practice modes and tutorials. It's just that I don't really see why you'd want a crappily done story to pad out your game. Haven't games like Portal shown that you can have a great game with no padding at all?

The lacking spectator mode is a big WTF though.

Sweet!, it's already out!, I wish I'd have a console right now, at least I wish it'll get released for PC sometime.

Captcha: blevello system's

I must ask again - for someone hoping to get into more advanced fighters, could this be considered "baby's first 2D fighter," or am I better off sticking to the Dead or Alive 2s of the genre? Because man I want to get into BlazBlue but I need a better entry point into advanced mechanics than 5 hours of complex comprehensive tutorials...

Rationalization:

StriderShinryu:

Rationalization:

Do you know where they said that? I dont want to get my hopes up for nothing. I know my friends are going to be on that game all day but I'm not good enough to fight a lot(win and not get sent to the bottom), and to not even get to see their matches would make this a pretty pointless buy.

Sorry, I can't recall exactly where it was said, only that it was said by Seth Killian in at least a couple of different interview. He did so many of them pre release I couldn't even guess which one(s) it was he said it in. :/

Andy of Comix Inc:
I must ask again - for someone hoping to get into more advanced fighters, could this be considered "baby's first 2D fighter," or am I better off sticking to the Dead or Alive 2s of the genre? Because man I want to get into BlazBlue but I need a better entry point into advanced mechanics than 5 hours of complex comprehensive tutorials...

The execution is. The actual mind games part, though, I'd say is every bit as complex. You can use the simple mode to get one button combos and supers but you still have six buttons and there's tons of shit happening on screen at every moment.

So the execution is about on par with Smash Bros if you want it to but there's a lot of strategy going into the building of team, being at the correct distance, managing your super bars and so forth.

Played it at Best Buy today during my break. I was not disappointed in the least. Most fun I've had playing a game in public against strangers ever.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here