Review: Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Irridium:
Own this game and loving it. I'm just disappointed that after hyping up some form of story, we didn't really get one. It was your standard fighter story. Which is a bit of a shame, but whatev's.

I also wish the character's endings were longer. After Steet Figher 4's fully voiced, animated endings, it feels like a bit of a letdown. They could have at least made it longer then about 15 or so lines of dialog. Sometimes less.

For those who are wondering what the endings are like, think Soul Caliber, but shorter.

EDIT: Oh, I feel I should mention that most of the more advanced stuff can be found in the manual. Just look through it and it should tell you quite a bit.

Yes, but the review failed to answer one of the most important questions for potential consumers: Is the game Balanced!? MvC2 is hailed as the greatest fighter of all time, but it's also the most broken and unbalanced fighter, too. I'm not going to spend $60 on a game that only gets 4 or 5 characters played over and over again. That's money better spent on several lesser titles or a quality RPG.

Makes me want to buy. but I don't buy that Capcom is trimming the fat. Regardless of the "need" for Ken and Ryu, it seems more like a way they can introduce similar characters later for a price.

CronoT:

Irridium:
Own this game and loving it. I'm just disappointed that after hyping up some form of story, we didn't really get one. It was your standard fighter story. Which is a bit of a shame, but whatev's.

I also wish the character's endings were longer. After Steet Figher 4's fully voiced, animated endings, it feels like a bit of a letdown. They could have at least made it longer then about 15 or so lines of dialog. Sometimes less.

For those who are wondering what the endings are like, think Soul Caliber, but shorter.

EDIT: Oh, I feel I should mention that most of the more advanced stuff can be found in the manual. Just look through it and it should tell you quite a bit.

Yes, but the review failed to answer one of the most important questions for potential consumers: Is the game Balanced!? MvC2 is hailed as the greatest fighter of all time, but it's also the most broken and unbalanced fighter, too. I'm not going to spend $60 on a game that only gets 4 or 5 characters played over and over again. That's money better spent on several lesser titles or a quality RPG.

It is balanced. Much more balanced then MvC2

Is it just me getting old or is the action ridiculously fast? I mean, srsly, within just a few frames there are tons of actions and movements. I recognize this trend since Soul Calibur/Edge and it really spoils the fun for me. I love to watch the awesome animations and have a chance to actually react to what the opponent is doing, but with this lightning fast pace I just cannot do that. What a waste of potential.

SensibleCrout:
Is it just me getting old or is the action ridiculously fast? I mean, srsly, within just a few frames there are tons of actions and movements. I recognize this trend since Soul Calibur/Edge and it really spoils the fun for me. I love to watch the awesome animations and have a chance to actually react to what the opponent is doing, but with this lightning fast pace I just cannot do that. What a waste of potential.

Indeed, but I quite like how busy everything is. I'm a massive Smash Bros fan, so I'm used to a lots of things going on at once. Some of the characters are insanely quick though, just look at X-23 (who's gonna be on my team).

Simple Mode really makes this attractive to me. I just cannot pull off the moves in the Street Fighter IV and the Xbox Live version of Marvel vs capcom 2. I'm profoundly terrible, and no amount of practice seems to help. I can't even beat the arcade mode of Mvc2 on easy (I most often lose on the second stage). But these games are fun, so I see a purchase in the future.

To me this is a couch game. As in I play it with my buddies while we sit on the couch.
If it's online play is anything like SSFIV I would just get frustrated at fighting Ryu, Ken, and Sagat eleventy billion times.

played it at game this afternoon. was imedeatly happy bcos u can use wolverine to kill veiwtiful joe

My dream team:
Dante, Hulk and Zero

Pedro The Hutt:
That's odd. I've been hearing it's just as broken and unbalanced as its predecessor. MvC2 veteran Justin Wong has gone on record stating that you can pretty much shove Sentinel right back into the God tier, as stupidly overpowered as he was in MvC2.

Which really puts me on edge since the unbalanced nature of MvC2 put me of off it back in the Dreamcast days before I even knew what tiers were.

So I think I'll stick to good ol' Continuuum Shift and Virtua Fighter instead.

It's actually quite balanced, except it's balanced in a different way than most fighters. In most other fighters there's an attempt made to put every fighter on an equal playing ground where none are more powerful than the others. Everyone is, let's say, between a 4 and a 6 on a 10 point scale. MvC3 throws that idea of balancing out by attempting to make every character essentially a 10 out of 10. Everyone is overpowered and most have the same ability to be as god like as some of the top tiers in MvC2 were. The only difference is that some are easier to use or more familiar than others, which is why I imagine Sentinel is still considered so good now. I could be wrong, but I would guess it's not that he's really much better than anyone else any more, it's that he's pretty much the same as he was in MvC2 so you can be just as successful with him without having to learn any new tricks.

It reminds me of Yun in SSF4:AE. Initially everyone was saying "ZOMG, he's so overpowered" simply because he was great in SF3:3S and if you directly translated your SF3 skills into SF4 with a decent knowledge of the SF4 engine he did seem amazing. Now that the top players have actually played the game, I don't think any of them put Yun right at the top anymore, and his projected dominance seems to fall a little with every write up I read. He's still very good, if not great, but even just a little play time has knocked him off of the godlike pedestal he was put on at first.

Daystar Clarion:
So looking foward to this game. Hopefully I'll get to delivered a day before the release date (Friday here in the UK).

Looking forward to playing Amaterasu, Clarion?

GamerMage:

Daystar Clarion:
So looking foward to this game. Hopefully I'll get to delivered a day before the release date (Friday here in the UK).

Hells to the yes I am. She's looking very good. Along with Spidey and X-23, should be a great team.

Daystar Clarion:

GamerMage:

Daystar Clarion:

Hells to the yes I am. She's looking very good. Along with Spidey and X-23, should be a great team.

In that case,I'm looking to rent it soon and challenge you. Ryu, Arthur, and Viewtiful Joe.

I'm assuming the decision to remove spectating is to improve lag.

But bloody hell! Surely give the host the option to deal with that. Staring at a lobby for 10 minutes until and inbetween your match is absolutely fucking ridiculous!

As for options. Well sadly no one plays SF4 in tournament or team battle mode so all that's left is either ranked (with it's utterly shit ranking system that I hope MvC3 doesn't repeat) or lobbies where you can spectate.

StriderShinryu:

Rationalization:
Wow MVC2 had you spectate and the same rooms, and MVC3 CAN'T?! wtf, did they some how lose technology.

Different games and different tech. You could spectate in SF4 too. *shrug* Supposedly a working lobby system with actual spectating is one of the most important things Capcom has recognized and is working on for a downloadable patch/update to the game.

They've 'recognised' this? Were Capcom abducted by brain slugs? They are meant to be experienced at this? What a thing to omit without good reason? Who on earth wants to stand in a 4+ player lobby and stare at a list of players? I suppose the obvious question is when will said patch be released? (SF4 had a similar thing with fixes introduced after the fact).

Really Capcom, you've been hyping this game for fucking months. Get your ass into gear and stop coasting.

Blazblue: CS and MvC 3 are very similar. Both give a simple combat option and both have complex combos to perform.

BlazBlue does have some harder characters to use.

StriderShinryu:

Pedro The Hutt:
That's odd. I've been hearing it's just as broken and unbalanced as its predecessor. MvC2 veteran Justin Wong has gone on record stating that you can pretty much shove Sentinel right back into the God tier, as stupidly overpowered as he was in MvC2.

Which really puts me on edge since the unbalanced nature of MvC2 put me of off it back in the Dreamcast days before I even knew what tiers were.

So I think I'll stick to good ol' Continuuum Shift and Virtua Fighter instead.

It's actually quite balanced, except it's balanced in a different way than most fighters. In most other fighters there's an attempt made to put every fighter on an equal playing ground where none are more powerful than the others. Everyone is, let's say, between a 4 and a 6 on a 10 point scale. MvC3 throws that idea of balancing out by attempting to make every character essentially a 10 out of 10. Everyone is overpowered and most have the same ability to be as god like as some of the top tiers in MvC2 were. The only difference is that some are easier to use or more familiar than others, which is why I imagine Sentinel is still considered so good now. I could be wrong, but I would guess it's not that he's really much better than anyone else any more, it's that he's pretty much the same as he was in MvC2 so you can be just as successful with him without having to learn any new tricks.

It reminds me of Yun in SSF4:AE. Initially everyone was saying "ZOMG, he's so overpowered" simply because he was great in SF3:3S and if you directly translated your SF3 skills into SF4 with a decent knowledge of the SF4 engine he did seem amazing. Now that the top players have actually played the game, I don't think any of them put Yun right at the top anymore, and his projected dominance seems to fall a little with every write up I read. He's still very good, if not great, but even just a little play time has knocked him off of the godlike pedestal he was put on at first.

I thought it was originally unbalanced. Got the game today. Although, as I had a few more fights with my brother I realised that some characters are useless against others but are good against others. My bro likes to use Phoenix, Storm and Chun Li. I use Zero, X-23 and Iron Man. Iron Man is useless against Storm, so I send out X-23 who is much faster and can close the distance unlike Iron Man who is strong but slow. They did try really hard to make the game even and the 3 character selection does help.

great review guys, keep up the good work. im still still thinking if i should buy this game.

I'm just glad they finally put Mike Haggar in a fighting game... no, you can't handle the pipe!

where groups of players can compete in a winner-stays format don't let you watch the matches.

Whoever thought this was a good idea at Capcom needs to be fired now! completely retarded.

I went to the midnight launch at my local gamestop and haven't stop playing since.

I wish the story was more fleshed out (especially with all the trailers and that some of the endings indicate good plot points)and I have online trouble (though thats probably more me than the game) but other than that, I love it the fighting is simplified yet still keeps a good amount of depth and I like all of the characters (makes for very interesting teams)

If you like fighting games or just fanservice I can't see anyone going wrong with MvC3

Daystar Clarion:

SensibleCrout:

Indeed, but I quite like how busy everything is. I'm a massive Smash Bros fan, so I'm used to a lots of things going on at once. Some of the characters are insanely quick though, just look at X-23 (who's gonna be on my team).

Ditto on X-23, my friend. From what I've played, she is the go-to for rushdown and up close pressuring

DTWolfwood:

where groups of players can compete in a winner-stays format don't let you watch the matches.

Whoever thought this was a good idea at Capcom needs to be fired now! completely retarded.

Cuts down on lag?
But it would be handy if you could at least talk to the other people in chat. Wouldn't help me any since I'm on the PS3 but a good idea none the less.

Oh, and can you send fighting requests to friends so only the two of you are in a game room? If that is out I would be pissed.

Having now played the game I must agree about the lack of tutorial.

They have included a trials mode similar to what was in SF, but again with NO explanation as to the timing of some of the combos, which as you'd imagine ranges from the simple to the mind warpingly hard. It's not as tough as SF, that's for sure (the control scheme is easier), but not a huge amount. Certainly not enough to win over new players hoping to pluymb the depths of the game. That's unfortunate. Capcom still seem to think that the only players that matter are the 'pro' players so they do themselves, again, a disservice.

That said it's not a bad game. She HUlk is fucking beyond annoying and it's not at all easy to get into IMO. But it looks stunning.

The lack of certain, requisite, features - again with no criticism from the media (why is the gaming media so supine?) - is baffling, just baffling.

My advice would be to find people to play with at your skill level because otherwise I think you (and I) are going to get very pissed off very quickly.

KEM10:

DTWolfwood:

Cuts down on lag?

That was my first guess, but seeing as they (apparently) plan to include it, I must assume that's not the case. There's no solid reason then why it was left out especially after they did the same thing in SF. Makes you wonder just how good these developers are and what other issues (sentinel's balance, for example) are present.

strangeotron:

KEM10:

DTWolfwood:

Cuts down on lag?

That was my first guess, but seeing as they (apparently) plan to include it, I must assume that's not the case. There's no solid reason then why it was left out especially after they did the same thing in SF. Makes you wonder just how good these developers are and what other issues (sentinel's balance, for example) are present.

First update might add it then. Who knows?
Also, someone earlier mentioned that Sentinel might seem over powered because he was OP in the previous one so everyone knows his controls right off the bat. Same thing with me and Talim in SC4, I played her so much in 2 (and barely touched 3 but what little I did I used her) so I knew her move sets and flow already.

Well, capcom knows. And they obviously finished the game months ago (as opposed to last weekend or something stupid), so really they have had time to patch in something as simple as spectator functionality - and it's not something they have no experience with. Really Capcom, wtf?

I'm hoping Capcom will realease an update (not a DLC) to get Spectador More for Online Matches, and I know that the final roster with DLC will be 38. (It makes sense since there's only 10 free squares in the character selection area... Count them, the others are really useful since they are under the other graphics like the Avatars).

I believe the DLC will be: Frank West 1 // Dr. Octavius 2 //(Shumma Ghorath and Jill 3/4) Venom (?) (Because of the old leaked screen with the 3d model for Venom) 5// Megaman X because he was voted the most wanted in a capcom forum or something and the Devs said that fan requests will greatly influence DLC 6//

The other four I have no idea... Personal request here would be for the Fighter or the Thief from Shadow over Mystara (if you played the game you would see they fit perfectly into a fighting game) Juggernaut, Psylocke (need more chicks in the roster) and Zangief (although he was clearly shot down by the Devs) because I want to create a paradox my having Zangief and Haggar piledrive each other at the same time... Even better than dividing by zero.

CronoT:

Irridium:

That's a tricky question, because in MvC2 (not saying wasn't broken) the four god tier Characters were Cable, Magneto Storm and Sentinel. Why well short answer for each:

Cable is cheap easy damage with his gun + his in the air Viper Cable Hyper.
Magneto is a really really really hard to master character with the ability to continue a combo to almost infinity if played right.
Storm animations are a bit broken so she fights faster and better than anyone else and gets to fly around a alot, but then again you gotta master it.
Sentinel dealt a bunch of dmg, could combo really well across the screen and soaked a bunch of dmg as well...

Why do I describe each and one them? Because although they were kind of cheap and many guys used them together, it didn't really matter. They had to be used by pros...
Same here, in MvC3 Dante might seem overpowered by the amount of combos/hits and attacks he can stream together but only by a master...

I guess your question is tricky because the game really feels balanced, but if you go against a pro or the highest difficulty in Arcade, then it won't seem that balanced then... But it is... Although I agree, the reviewer didn't mentioned that... But he did say the game was fun, and it is :)

Haggar's pipe is hard for anyone to handle. ^_^

Have we ever needed a Ryu and a Ken?

Morrigan is practically Ken with tits anyway.

Dormammu - wha?

seriously what do half his moves do?

Misho-:

I guess your question is tricky because the game really feels balanced, but if you go against a pro or the highest difficulty in Arcade, then it won't seem that balanced then... But it is...

That's a good point that I think many people tend to forget when it comes to talking about balance and/or character tiers; character balance and tiering really only matters when you're talking about players of the same skill level and, most often, that skill level is a high one.

Take a character like Adon in SSF4 for example. On paper, he's a fairly weak character who lacks in straight up punishes and combo potential. He's also lacking a projectile (something that often seems huge to an inexperienced player) and doesn't even have much of an obvious way to safely get close to characters who do have projectiles. In high level play, however, he can be a beast simply because his game is all about smart option selects, timing, frame advantage and pressure.. aspects that it really takes a developed understanding of the game to bring out. I don't think anyone, even the pros, consider Adon to be a top tier character but he really can range anywhere from remarkably terrible to tournament winner based entirely on who is playing him and how they are playing him.

What, no Pheonix Wright?

StriderShinryu:

Take a character like Adon in SSF4 for example. On paper, he's a fairly weak character who lacks in straight up punishes and combo potential. He's also lacking a projectile (something that often seems huge to an inexperienced player) and doesn't even have much of an obvious way to safely get close to characters who do have projectiles. In high level play, however, he can be a beast simply because his game is all about smart option selects, timing, frame advantage and pressure.. aspects that it really takes a developed understanding of the game to bring out. I don't think anyone, even the pros, consider Adon to be a top tier character but he really can range anywhere from remarkably terrible to tournament winner based entirely on who is playing him and how they are playing him.

One thing that made him really good was that he'd have a shorter wakeup time than the rest of the characters meaning so you'd have to change your wakeup attack strategy just for him. One of the reasons someone like Gamerbee has been doing really nicely with him is that your basic crossup jumpin strategy is essentially completely useless against a good Adon.

syrus27:
What, no Pheonix Wright?

I don't really get how he'd be a good character (or how him not being in the game has anything to do with not getting the game) in the VS series to begin with. Franziska, sure, but Phoenix?

This was probably the first game I actually went out to buy on its release date as soon as the store opened. Was not disappoint.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here