Zero Punctuation: DC Universe Online

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

DC Universe Online

This week, Zero Punctuation dresses with underwear on the outside to review DC Universe Online.

Watch Video

I'll just go back to Mortal Kombat vs. DCU thank you...or I take that back I'll go to a DVD boxset of the Justice League.

I thought it had been proven that you can't kill someone by dropping a penny on them from a high place as the penny's terminal velocity isn't fast enough to do much damage.

That final pun was awful. But does show appropriate geek cred if I wasn't a hundred percent certain you hadn't just looked it up on wikipedia.

I wasn't going to get this game anyway because I like writing my own superheroes more than I like playing the railroaded stories of other people's intepretation of how my hero should act.

Oh, and of course still consistently funny and all.

Yeah, this one didn't seem to appealing to me either. But then again, I haven't found an MMO I like.

I long ago gave up on all things MMORPG. Good to see the genre hasn't gone and done something interesting with it's latest entry.

Christ I barely understood any of that.

Very funny this week, I would probably consider playing this if my PC could handle it.

everythings so true. i mean seriously i thought the game was going to allow you to create your own powers.

lo i have been struck.

Superheroes and MMO games. Somehow I knew even before I clicked on it that it'd be priceless.

Can't say I was disappointed.

I wish they'd make a hero multiplayer game where crime or damsel in distress events popped up randomly one at a time in the city, and it was a hell bent rush for the heroes to get there first and save the day. Sabotaging each other's efforts to look good is encouraged.

Oh and another spider without warning. grrr.

Also was that a glitch at 2:11?

OMG You mentioned City of Heroes!!!! I still play that game! ! Way to go Yahtzee!

What I don't like about DC Universe (or the previous Marvel one[the cancelled one]) and I like about City (and Champions to some degree) is that you don't feel like the sidekick. Sure in Cox there's Statesman (or Recluse) with all his mates, but they mostly keep to the sidelines and give you quests. Once you accept that you really feel like the Hero/Villain. In DC I always feel like a Batman Clone (in my case) and under the main cast of characters' shadow. And that blows.

honestly was considering trying it up untill i heard it was essentially dc attempting to try city of heroes (like there havent been enough clones of it)

nicely done yahtzee.

why is anyone even trying to make mmo's anymore? whats the point?

This is the problem with most MMORPG's, they are all virtually the same. Create character, grind levels, reach the end game content, pwn it, wait for expansion, create alts, rinse, repeat.

"Rigourous bumhole exercise!"

I haven't laughed so hard for a long time.

Very good, Yahtzee.

P.S: Mythbusters disproved the penny thing.

Not even as good as City of Heroes? *sigh*
WoW's next victim: The Old Republic

vaderaider:
Very funny this week, I would probably consider playing this if my PC could handle it.

Why won't you play it on ps3?

Yeah, the reason I never got into serialized comics is because you first have to read 500 issues of boring shit that doesn't make any sense before you can catch up. I once picked up "Encyclopedia of the Marvel Universe" out of curiosity and had to put it back down when I realized that Spider-man (by himself) had like 30 pages dedicated to each continuity (of which there was at least 6).

I like comics, but only in graphic novel formats.

More to the point, I thought DCU looked kind of fun, but I've never been into MMOs, so I'll give it a pass anyway.

i like the game a lot, yes it has a lot of problems but the combat for a mmorpg is good and i think the problem is that you yust button mashed trough the game altough if that works then the game is kind of broken still i like it.

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that Yahtzee reviewed DC Universe Online the same week Marvel vs Capcom 3 was released?

Other than that, what I find hilarious on a personal level is Yahtzee tearing it a new one after one person in particular I know of kept hyping it up saying it's better than most of the games that have been released for Wii and 360.

Well, good for you Yahtzee, you have deterred me from playing a game that I already didn't want to play. Impressive. Most impressive.

I remember the trailer being so epic but once I heard it was a MMORPG my enthusiasm faded just like the Star Wars RPG

Pretty much confirmed my expectations. As I'm not a big comic book fan (I only watch the movies/play occasional game) I highly doubted I'd enjoy this.

About the only interesting bit added to DCUO (and I only played the Beta) is the addition of a combo action system. This is cool, it's fun...

...but around level 10-15 it becomes just another button masher where "click for loot, repeat" is the norm.

I started and stopped playing DCUO both in its release week. The biggest problem with it is that it's so monotonous, which might seem besides the point since it's an mmo but DCUO takes monotonous to new heights. It starts out with a private tutorial before dumping you in the city where you then stay forever, no wait there are different districts to the city but it all looks the same, like a city.

My favorite part was the infinite midlife crisis crack at the end - something about how it acknowledged DC continuity and dismissed it at the same time through word play just tickles me (but not in an underaged super hero sidekick kind of way).

"A good story is like a good bowel movement"

...and I'm still cracking up :D

Like the game, this episode feels underwhelming. I played the DCUO Beta and while it was playable and fairly enjoyable, overall it just felt mediocre. I could get more out of the other superhero mmos out there.

Lordofthesuplex:
Am I the only one who finds it ironic that Yahtzee reviewed DC Universe Online the same week Marvel vs Capcom 3 was released?

Other than that, what I find hilarious on a personal level is Yahtzee tearing it a new one after one person in particular I know of kept hyping it up saying it's better than most of the games that have been released for Wii and 360.

Remember that the videos of ZP aren't made and brought online on the same week, this video was made last week and put up until today, meaning that Yahtzee is one week behind... Who knows, maybe he's playing/reviewing MvC3:FTW right now and we will see it next week.

viking97:
why is anyone even trying to make mmo's anymore? whats the point?

It's that giant pile of cash Blizzard executives use as a pool. Other companies look at it and say "Gosh, maybe we could get some of that."

WOOOOO Preacher! HBO should make THAT a series or AMC if HBO gives it "The Walking Dead" treatment.

I like DCUO myself. My brother and sister and I all live pretty far apart from each other and this is one of the first games we ALL like and ALL got. We play it once every couple of days and dick around for a few hours. Good times.

It still seems weird to me that this game requires a monthly subscription fee to maintain. There's only 2 worlds, and a few instances. In WoW I can understand the fee because there is an IMMENSE amount of maintenance to be done.

I do like his point though that it's fucking impossible to tell who's a villain and who's a hero based solely on looks. I run by someone, and if I don't look at my mini-map to see whether the icon is green or red I'm always fearful I'm gonna turn around and be murdered by someone and not know if I even stand a chance until I engage with them.

Also, the chat system on the PS3 is almost nonexistent during combat.

I still find it fun though despite its flaws.

Misho-:

Lordofthesuplex:

Remember that the videos of ZP aren't made and brought online on the same week, this video was made last week and put up until today, meaning that Yahtzee is one week behind... Who knows, maybe he's playing/reviewing MvC3:FTW right now and we will see it next week.

It's still pretty ironic though. Oh and no I honestly doubt that he will. He hates fighting games and the last thing I want is for a repeat of the whole Brawl review scenario because I just know that's going to happen if he reviews it. Yahtzee would have to be pretty desperate to review Marvel vs Capcom 3.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here