Zero Punctuation: DC Universe Online

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Everybody together now: COMICS ARE WEIRD!

The inconsistency with powers is a big part of the reason I never got into superhero comics as a kid. It was all GI Joe and Vertigo titles for me. They just seem to work better in animated series and films for me.

I didn't even know it was out and I see I haven't missed anything

Who thought "The same thing as city of heroes and WoW, but not as good" was a GOOD idea?

The stagnate and currently broken MMORPG system is painfully obvious when people don't have to play the game to know it's the same thing they're currently paying for, just dressed up in a different outfit, so they don't have to invest time or money into doing the same thing in a new title.

People only pay for 3 MMO titles at the same time AT MOST, so you'd think companies would try really hard to make their game DIFFERENT in order to get customers, or god forbid a fucking trial of their cookie cutter game within a month of release to maximize potential customers so people don't have to make a blind purchase, not waiting until 6-12 months later when the company is desperate for players and no one gives a shit about it anymore. I made that mistake with Warhammer Online and couldn't even make it through my first FREE month. So no matter how much I anticipate an MMO, i'm not wasting money on it without a trial.. and open beta doesn't count because it's a pre-release final stress-test. If they want my money, they can give me a week-long demo.

But Yahtzee! There are only 2 cities in the whole DC comics universe!

Actually, Bruce Wayne (by way of Lucius Fox) DOES explain things to his accountant once he figures things out, and it goes about thusly:

"Let me get this straight: You think that your client, one of the wealthiest, most powerful men in the world, is secretly a vigilante who spends his nights beating criminals to a pulp with his bare hands. And your plan is to blackmail this person? Good luck."

So yeah. Batman has no trouble with the chequebook.

"... mashing the attack button like a labrat with a food dispenser." That one got a hearty laugh out of me. ^^

Seemed like a worse tongue-lashing than usual. Oh well, this makes it easier to stay away from MMOs until Dark Millennium hits shelves.

I didn't really think it was possible to get worse than COH/Champions. How do they figure these games will make any money when they are so hollow in content? Doesn't make sense to me.

captainjackofms:
Yeah, this one didn't seem to appealing to me either. But then again, I haven't found an MMO I like.

snap! oh and "Two rodeo clowns and a prostitute" tee hee, I think I shall be using that insult!

AssassinJoe:
But Yahtzee! There are only 2 cities in the whole DC comics universe!

Indeed. How could he not have known no other cities exist besides Jump City and Central City?

Wait...

Lordofthesuplex:

Misho-:

Lordofthesuplex:
Am I the only one who finds it ironic that Yahtzee reviewed DC Universe Online the same week Marvel vs Capcom 3 was released?

Other than that, what I find hilarious on a personal level is Yahtzee tearing it a new one after one person in particular I know of kept hyping it up saying it's better than most of the games that have been released for Wii and 360.

Remember that the videos of ZP aren't made and brought online on the same week, this video was made last week and put up until today, meaning that Yahtzee is one week behind... Who knows, maybe he's playing/reviewing MvC3:FTW right now and we will see it next week.

It's still pretty ironic though. Oh and no I honestly doubt that he will. He hates fighting games and the last thing I want is for a repeat of the whole Brawl review scenario because I just know that's going to happen if he reviews it. Yahtzee would have to be pretty desperate to review Marvel vs Capcom 3.

It's only ironic in the sense that Alanis Morissette would say it was ironic i.e. it's not ironic.

vaderaider:
Very funny this week, I would probably consider playing this if my PC could handle it.

The game is actually fun (was in beta), but i heard that you could get to max level in 1-2 weeks and there wasn't much endgame content.

on the upside i don't fall asleep grinding mobs in this game. Especially when you play on a PVP server. and Fully voiced missions is a bonus :D

But yes i'll probably cancel subscription b4 it starts XD 1 month in and i've done just about everything there is to do in DCUO.

DCUO seems like a fair amount of fun, but I don't want to get into an MMO when another one I've been looking forward to for years is supposedly just around the corner.

Also, my huge backlog doesn't need me to be distracted by yet another game of life-eating proportions.

Xan Krieger:
I thought it had been proven that you can't kill someone by dropping a penny on them from a high place as the penny's terminal velocity isn't fast enough to do much damage.

Yea Mith Busters had an episode on this mith.

anyone else not surprised that Yahtzee is into Preacher? Such a great series, even if it is aggressively cynical and violent as hell. I also read comics, but I'm more into DC's Vertigo imprint than anything else since they have endings and don't have a history best described a a labyrinth as designed by Escher.

I love the line about having to talk your investor down from the edge- "Is it better than City of Heroes?"

So basically what I expected after Champions Online.

City of Heroes/Villains is STILL the best superhero/villain focused online game out there.

yup, he is spot on

Bruce Wayne's accountant has to be the craftiest mother alive.

Honestly, I'm not sure I see the appeal of an MMO with a major franchise license in Super Heroes. Either you want to play your own guy with your own identity, or you want to shamelessly rip off Batman or whoever. Either way, it's easily done in a generic setting, so what's the point? I'd think Champions would be more appealing by its very nature.

well then, I hope that Dark millunem online will be better then this.

I'm a huge DC fanboy and I really wanted to at least try this game.

Meh, I'll wait for it to go LOTRO and become free forever.

Misho-:
OMG You mentioned City of Heroes!!!! I still play that game! ! Way to go Yahtzee!

What I don't like about DC Universe (or the previous Marvel one[the cancelled one]) and I like about City (and Champions to some degree) is that you don't feel like the sidekick. Sure in Cox there's Statesman (or Recluse) with all his mates, but they mostly keep to the sidelines and give you quests. Once you accept that you really feel like the Hero/Villain. In DC I always feel like a Batman Clone (in my case) and under the main cast of characters' shadow. And that blows.

Yes, I feel exactly the same way about it. I was in the DCUO beta and couldn't help but feel being forced into an overarching storyline that was really about the DC heroes and not me or the other players. I'm also still playing City of Heroes and for a 7 year old game, it still holds up very well against other Superhero MMO competition. Yes, you do feel like a true hero or villain in that game because that's entire point! There's no pre-determined storyline that resulted in you and everyone else gaining powers, you created your own backstory; you could disregard the game narrative altogether if you wanted!

Also this video was hilarious. "Yep that's a city, alright. Can I stop playing now?" pretty much sums that game up. I don't want to do repetitive open-world chain-quests of "Kill X of this" and "Gather Y of that" while fighting over the objectives with other players anymore. That's why I don't play WoW and every other game (even Champions) that copies that exact questing model, it's complete rubbish!

preacher FTW!

First time in a while that I've almost completely disagreed with the review.

Mechanically and in terms of amount of content (the latter being pretty understandable), it's pretty inferior to CoH, but the emphasis on actual storylines, the pacing, and the combination of timer abilities and beat-em-up gameplay makes it feel much more like what a superhero game should be to me.

Lots of swearing and insults in this one. I guess Yahtzee really didn't like it at all.

mmoRPGS are bad because they are games without gameplay.

Lordofthesuplex:

Misho-:

Lordofthesuplex:
Am I the only one who finds it ironic that Yahtzee reviewed DC Universe Online the same week Marvel vs Capcom 3 was released?

Other than that, what I find hilarious on a personal level is Yahtzee tearing it a new one after one person in particular I know of kept hyping it up saying it's better than most of the games that have been released for Wii and 360.

Remember that the videos of ZP aren't made and brought online on the same week, this video was made last week and put up until today, meaning that Yahtzee is one week behind... Who knows, maybe he's playing/reviewing MvC3:FTW right now and we will see it next week.

It's still pretty ironic though. Oh and no I honestly doubt that he will. He hates fighting games and the last thing I want is for a repeat of the whole Brawl review scenario because I just know that's going to happen if he reviews it. Yahtzee would have to be pretty desperate to review Marvel vs Capcom 3.

Why is Yahtzee reviewing a DC related game in the same week as a Marvel game's release in any way ironic? Are you Alanis Morissette by any chance?

Hmmm. seems that the floods are stoping him so he's use the intrenet games

I think he should play supermeatboy...

After playing the beta I agree with every single thing said in this video. :D

NooNameLeft:

Xan Krieger:
I thought it had been proven that you can't kill someone by dropping a penny on them from a high place as the penny's terminal velocity isn't fast enough to do much damage.

Yea Mith Busters had an episode on this mith.

It's just a funny thing to say...even if he were aware of the Mythbusters episode, I doubt it would stop him using the gag. 95% of the world think it's true and don't particularly care that it isn't.

I always wanted to play City of Heroes. The idea of creating my own superhero always seemed fun.
But I wouldn't touch DC universe with a barge poll.

Calling Wonder Woman a whore is maybe just a little harsh? I mean i for everything she stands and was created for this seems like a slap in the face.

Yes, this is ZP, i know, but even hateranter (is that even a word?) should have a border they don't cross _somewhere_.

Just saying.

Yahtzee likes Preacher. Nice! One of my favourite comics.

It's amazing to think that City of Heroes is still so highly considered after 7 years living in WoW's shadow. I've been playing it for 4 years (with a year long break over a year ago) and still really enjoy it

Wulfclaw:
Calling Wonder Woman a whore is maybe just a little harsh? I mean i for everything she stands and was created for this seems like a slap in the face.

Yes, this is ZP, i know, but even hateranter (is that even a word?) should have a border they don't cross _somewhere_.

Just saying.

You can't deny that Wonder Woman's costume is designed to be arousing to the male gaze. In that sense, she is a whore. This is why I like the DC New Frontier character design for her the best; it really tones the sex appeal down to manageable levels and lets her seem more powerful and badass.

And what does she stand for, anyway? I don't think DC's ever really been able to decide on that. Certainly not like Batman and Superman. She's pretty much just been "female superhero".

Really a terrible game. Other than being pretty and some mildly interesting combat, assuming you never played GoW, DMC, Bayonetta, etc, it has no redeeming qualities at all. CO and COH/V are both vastly superior in all meaningful areas.

The Power Girl poster in the room of the fat nerd was a nice touch.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here