Zero Punctuation: DC Universe Online

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

viking97:
why is anyone even trying to make mmo's anymore? whats the point?

My sentiments exactly. I feel sorry for anyone that is going to pay to have their lives slowly sucked away. I actually can't believe that Yahtzee was willing to subject himself to another MMO after just recently playing WOW for the second time. One MMO that I would like to see reviewed however is the FFXIV MMO. Apparently its soo bad that they are letting players stay on for free until the Dev team under new management 'fixes' the game.

First Cataclysm, now DCUO; has Yahtzee done something heinous to deserve such punishment?

Still, can't wait for the Old Republic revue as the only target easier than comic nerds is sci fi nerds, with Star Wars being the easiest of those. That 'critique' will be brutal.

HankMan:
Not even as good as City of Heroes? *sigh*
WoW's next victim: The Old Republic

Wow's next victim? What does WoW have to do with anything?

DCUO managed to fail on its own, by being a terrible game.

Bomberman4000:

It still seems weird to me that this game requires a monthly subscription fee to maintain.

Server costs, and I believe they're releasing new content every month.

Monshroud:
This is the problem with most MMORPG's, they are all virtually the same. Create character, grind levels, reach the end game content, pwn it, wait for expansion, create alts, rinse, repeat.

That's true, but that's also more the 'design' flaw, not really the 'game' flaw. MMORPG's are more like social interaction mediums--it's not entirely about grinding to level 50 or what not, it's about grinding to the highest level along side some of your friends.

FPS games are interaction in a very impersonal "I'mma blow you up with this rocket launcher" sort of way, but more and more FPS games are incorporating similar RPG style elements, with customizable features, perks, etcetera. But the gameplay is focused on the shooting bits more than the community bits, which holds it together, and makes players rely on their own skill rather than the numbers they can present to their opponent.

MMORPGS are interaction on a more interpersonal level, in that you adventure side by side with someone, playing a game that's admittedly all about the numbers, but it's still fun because you're doing it together, challenging the adversity offered by that super villain or ogre or whatnot. The game is just numbers, but the people are the heart and soul of MMORPGS.

After all, everyone knows MMORPGS don't have a soul of their own, that's why they creep in to your house, fangs bared as they raise their black cape and slowly approach...your wallet to take another $15 out of it until the next month rolls by.

Been playing DCUO since launch. Love it, despite a number of irritating issues that pop up. And yes, I am a fan.

Lovely review regardless.

AH! He said MUMORPUGER!
Well that was one funny vid, hope for more MMO reviews:D

Was pretty sure he would can this given thats its a multi with little to no in depth single player.

THEJORRRG:
Christ I barely understood any of that.

well, that is about par for the course when it comes to DC Comics, just wait till the next infinite crisis to jump on board, it would be easier.

OT: I dont really see the appeal of super hero MMORPG's, I mean, maybe if it was a singleplayer game or arena like one, but what is the point of being a super powered god of everything if there are 3000 other super powered gods of everything also?

I mean, if I was thinking about taking up a life of crime in a super hero MMO, I would think twice the instant I saw 100 superman ripoffs standing in a row /dance'ing

While I like the fact you can be a villain, the same still applies, if the world is saturated with three-bit criminals that are just archtypes of already established super villains, then what is the real point in being the ultimate criminal mastermind when there are fifty thousand other one the exact same kind?

I know this sort of applies to other MMO's, but those like Age of Conan or WoW atleast allow for some leeway with characters, you might be a rogue, but that other rogue might have different skills than you.

dkyros:

viking97:
why is anyone even trying to make mmo's anymore? whats the point?

My sentiments exactly. I feel sorry for anyone that is going to pay to have their lives slowly sucked away. I actually can't believe that Yahtzee was willing to subject himself to another MMO after just recently playing WOW for the second time. One MMO that I would like to see reviewed however is the FFXIV MMO. Apparently its soo bad that they are letting players stay on for free until the Dev team under new management 'fixes' the game.

I find it hilarious that they didnt try to fix the other FF MMO.

but MMO's in general are primarily for the social interaction, just imagine it as a chat room where you can kill other chatters........well, in most games...........

but then you get the rare ones that actually make you feel like you are part of something huge and your actions actually make a difference.

then you realize that people just spec for MAX suits and bum rush the back entrance to all the bases.

man, Planetside always seems better until I actually start talking about it...........

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Snip

Ok Yahtzee, you have admitted you are/were a comic book fan, what are your favorite comics then?

Fronzel:

And what does she stand for, anyway? I don't think DC's ever really been able to decide on that. Certainly not like Batman and Superman. She's pretty much just been "female superhero".

The way i see it, WW stands between Batman and Supes. She is not afraid to do unpopular drastic things, for (easiest) example killing maxwell lord, because she had to do it and NOT paddle back or make lame excuses, but stood for what she did, even as the world entered a new age of super-powered-heroe-phobia in the wake.

Broken down to easiest terms, I think she stands for the ability to kick ass while looking hot and knowing it. Self-Assurance. The new look is really good and more "realistic" but in addition she looks younger, less ... "wise". A whole lot of the optical Self-Assurance idea is cut from the new WW. In my opinion. :)

The background of the creation of this char is better explained by movie-bob. He has a whole segment regarding this and "comics are weird" and it's really good.

And yes, i'm a comics fanboy. Heh. :)

HankMan:
Not even as good as City of Heroes? *sigh*
WoW's next victim: The Old Republic

Except that TOR is at least going to have higher-quality questing. Luckily, BioWare actually cares about crafting a narrative, something that most MMOs relegate to a paragraph above the checklist.

Sonicron:

AssassinJoe:
But Yahtzee! There are only 2 cities in the whole DC comics universe!

Indeed. How could he not have known no other cities exist besides Jump City and Central City?

Wait...

Are those real? Or did you just make those up? I honestly don't know.

I was excited for this game. Then I saw the cinematic... And I was even more excited.

Then I saw the gameplay.

I wasn't excited anymore.

Prof. Monkeypox:
Yeah, the reason I never got into serialized comics is because you first have to read 500 issues of boring shit that doesn't make any sense before you can catch up. I once picked up "Encyclopedia of the Marvel Universe" out of curiosity and had to put it back down when I realized that Spider-man (by himself) had like 30 pages dedicated to each continuity (of which there was at least 6).

A huge misconception if you ask me. If I managed to easily get into comics just by picking up and reading whatever took my fancy then I'm pretty sure anyone can. Hell, most comic series (from the DC side at least, I have no idea with Marvel) don't tend to break 100 issues and there's no reason any reader would have to read all of those to understand a single story. I'm not saying there aren't aspects of comics that aren't needlessly convoluted (I would erase continuity in a second, given the chance) but it's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be.

At least this isnt Marvel Universe online >.>

Good review

Love the way he says MMORPUGER.I enjoy both DC and Marvel comics the same,but I won't give this game a chance until they give a trial.

Sounds exactly the same, if not a bit worse, than Champions online, y'know, that free serup hero MMORPG. Looks like another MMO destined to fail. WoW does WoW best, so why the hell are so many companies trying to rip it off?

So then basically most of your issues are stuff that Champions online had done well?

Amazing hero creator, great power selection, and it focuses on you, not the really famous guys.

I wish Cyrptic had just focused on it more instead of making this one.

I don't have a PS3, so I'll just stick with the animated movies, Arkham Asylum and I might get the Mortal Kombat crossover seen as it is cheap as hell now.

AssassinJoe:

Sonicron:

AssassinJoe:
But Yahtzee! There are only 2 cities in the whole DC comics universe!

Indeed. How could he not have known no other cities exist besides Jump City and Central City?

Wait...

Are those real? Or did you just make those up? I honestly don't know.

I may be getting them confused in my head, but if memory serves, Central City is the Flash's playground, and Jump City is home to the Teen Titans. Yes, those strangely-named cities actually do exist in the DC 'verse.

Wow this is weird, 2 mmorpgs within 2 months....you have changed yahzee.

Great review one of the best i liked the joke at the start(the one about shit that didn't really make any sens but never the less good anyway.

This week wasn't as amusing as it usually is. First of all, I'm not familiar with the DC Universe Online game - I know of it and the general principle - but have not and do not plan to play it. Plus the rant:jokes ratio was way too ranty this week.

However, it's good that he's doing more MMOs and Indie games. That makes these reviews less predictable!

Well sir you answer your question, Bums :)

So basically you're just picking custom models for DC's already established characters eh? Not much of a big seller there.

I didn't believe the review was going to be good. I had heard a lot of claims of the game just bing a city of heroes copy.

a friend of mine just bought DCU and wont stop crapping on about it. I'm going to love the look on his face when I link this to him

UnderCoverGuest:

Monshroud:
This is the problem with most MMORPG's, they are all virtually the same. Create character, grind levels, reach the end game content, pwn it, wait for expansion, create alts, rinse, repeat.

That's true, but that's also more the 'design' flaw, not really the 'game' flaw. MMORPG's are more like social interaction mediums--it's not entirely about grinding to level 50 or what not, it's about grinding to the highest level along side some of your friends.

FPS games are interaction in a very impersonal "I'mma blow you up with this rocket launcher" sort of way, but more and more FPS games are incorporating similar RPG style elements, with customizable features, perks, etcetera. But the gameplay is focused on the shooting bits more than the community bits, which holds it together, and makes players rely on their own skill rather than the numbers they can present to their opponent.

MMORPGS are interaction on a more interpersonal level, in that you adventure side by side with someone, playing a game that's admittedly all about the numbers, but it's still fun because you're doing it together, challenging the adversity offered by that super villain or ogre or whatnot. The game is just numbers, but the people are the heart and soul of MMORPGS.

After all, everyone knows MMORPGS don't have a soul of their own, that's why they creep in to your house, fangs bared as they raise their black cape and slowly approach...your wallet to take another $15 out of it until the next month rolls by.

You bring up some really good points. I think one of my biggest frustrations with MMO's is that whole forced to play with others thing. I work a really weird schedule than my friends. So usually when they raid, I can't. Now I could get involved with another guild and play with them, but to be honest... I don't like people.. Tried playing in PUG's and dealt with too many people who don't understand "Stay out of Fire / Void Zone". I think in Guild Wars you can 'hire' NPC's to crawl with you, which is nice. None of my friends play that though.

Heck in WoW, just before Cata came out, I finally got all my 40-man instance raids done. Still haven't been to the Black Temple, never downed Magtheridon, never finished Ulduar, never downed the Lich King.... sigh..

On an unrelated note: WOOT! 1000 Posts!

GiantRaven:

Prof. Monkeypox:
Yeah, the reason I never got into serialized comics is because you first have to read 500 issues of boring shit that doesn't make any sense before you can catch up. I once picked up "Encyclopedia of the Marvel Universe" out of curiosity and had to put it back down when I realized that Spider-man (by himself) had like 30 pages dedicated to each continuity (of which there was at least 6).

A huge misconception if you ask me. If I managed to easily get into comics just by picking up and reading whatever took my fancy then I'm pretty sure anyone can. Hell, most comic series (from the DC side at least, I have no idea with Marvel) don't tend to break 100 issues and there's no reason any reader would have to read all of those to understand a single story. I'm not saying there aren't aspects of comics that aren't needlessly convoluted (I would erase continuity in a second, given the chance) but it's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be.

Well fair enough, I recently picked up "All-star Superman" and had a lot of fun with that, despite the fact that it had tons of continuity nods that went completely over my head. But comics can be hard enough to swallow by themselves (requiring a pretty big willing suspension of disbelief) without the whole issue being complicated by a history lesson requirement. I love the medium, but that's why I prefer one-off comics like Watchmen better (the self-contained nature making it much more accessible).

You know, besides Watchmen being the greatest, etc.

Well fair enough, I recently picked up "All-star Superman" and had a lot of fun with that, despite the fact that it had tons of continuity nods that went completely over my head.

That's... weird, considering All-Star is a standalone series outside of regular canon.

Not that I necessarily disagree with the overall point. Though my personal problem is keeping up with the fragmented storylines over a billion books. I'd rather get a trade.

Great review as always. Enough sucking up, main point.

/lol @ this game, poppycock it is, we have this game done better without all the fancy copyright bull and better everything, go away.

Do we really need anything else?

vaderaider:
Very funny this week, I would probably consider playing this if my PC could handle it.

get a PS3 the game is on that aswell

Great review, and it's just added to the mounting evidence that this game is not for me. Ever since i grew out of dynasty warriors (yeah i know they're still good games but i got bored of bashing the same buttons over and over again) i've stayed away from button mashers. Besides, if i wanted to play as a superhero, i'd go play arkham asylum!

THEJORRRG:
Christ I barely understood any of that.

Thank you.

I broke one of my own rules by going to Yaht for a game I might actually play. As usual as a actual game reviewer good old yaht sucks ass. Does the game play like Wow? I get it's a mass rpg, but this is were I could clearly have used some series fucking feed back on a game because of monthly payments I'd wanna know about becuase it's not effective to rent First God damn it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)