Review: Killzone 3

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Review: Killzone 3

Kill the Helghast as many ways as you can

Read Full Article

Great review. I think I'll be picking this up, even though pretty much the only online shooter I play these days is Uncharted 2. If the story is actually decent then it's fixed my biggest complaint from the second game, so awesome.

Nice!

I really have nothing interesting to say but, nice...

Also, one of the best FPS Motion controls implementation I have experienced in recent time.
It will take a bit to find your best settings, but if you have them, you won't touch the DS3.
Even in multiplayer (beta) I never lt at a disadvantage and did in some occasions even betterthan with the DS3.

I'm really surprised that KZ3 isn't advertised much more as the flagship for motion controls in hardcore games.
If you can, give it a try and you'd be surprised how much fun a refreshing new control scheme can be.

Certainly not for everybody, but when it gets you, you don't want to go back.

Greg Tito:
Killzone 3 is a well-made game that hits all of the right notes for a AAA title. There isn't a twisting plot or engaging character development in the campaign but I was impressed with the scope of the story of the Helghast Empire dealing with the death of their fearless leader and the gritty ISA military folks fighting for survival in a hostile environment....enough to keep most pining for Killzone 4.

Wait...so it doesn't end here? The story lends itself to suggest there will be a Killzone 4???

Also I hope to share your impressions of the story in this iteration. The last game did have a story but left me pretty underwhelmed. Not as badly as Gears of War but still...

*Marcus Fenix voice* NICE!
I haven't played Killzone 2. Will that be a problem, or is the story accessible for newcomers as well? I think I'll definitely get this game either way, but it'd be nice to know whether it's worth buying the second one just so you understand what's going on.

Now on to hating Sony, for keeping such games ps exclusive :|

Zannah:

Maybe we should hate Microsoft for keeping an equally good game such as Alan Wake Xbox exclusive....which by the way was supposed to be on pc as well....

Anyway I already knew I was going to get Killzone 3, the atmosphere and weight behind weapons has always been more appealing to me than the mainstream "camera with wheels" console shooters.

WaaghPowa:

Zannah:

Maybe we should hate Microsoft for keeping an equally good game such as Alan Wake Xbox exclusive....which by the way was supposed to be on pc as well....

Owning neither console, totally an agreement there.

Zannah:

No! Because then they have to dumb down the graphics a bit. Not trying to argue here but pretty much every ps3 exclusive game tends to have much much prettier scenery than multi-platform games.

I do like how in the demo I felt like a 'person running' rather than a 'camera bouncing' not sure what they did differently to get that effect but it works.

Malcom McDowell! First Fallout 3 and now this, he's on a role as 'video game bad guy'

Phenom828:
I haven't played Killzone 2. Will that be a problem, or is the story accessible for newcomers as well? I think I'll definitely get this game either way, but it'd be nice to know whether it's worth buying the second one just so you understand what's going on.

It will take a little time to get up to speed but no more than your average action movie. You shouldn't have a problem figuring out the characters from just playing this game. No need to play Killzone 2 in order to enjoy the story.

Greg

I'll just wait for the first guy to make a good Let's Play of the entire game.....and then watch THAT in 1080p. Seriously, if the ONE thing this game perfects is it's Cinematography, (which is primarily why i watch films) and if the Control scheme is as abysmal as Killzone2, then why should I, or anyone else bother buying it to play it instead of watch it for free on Youtube?

Phenom828:

I obviously haven't played this new game, but I would think playing Killzone 2 is helpful in terms of appreciating the story and whats going on.

My main problem with killzone 2 was it tried too hard to be a halo beater and failed. This was a problem because it was actually an enjoyable game I just never understood why it got rated so highly, the unchrted and resistance games were much more fun and their the games I find myself returning too while killzone 2 slowly gathers dust.
ah well, i'll probably still buy it as its pretty much guarenteed to be fun for a playthrough.

ace_of_something:

Zannah:

No! Because then they have to dumb down the graphics a bit. It's nice to see a game that can use 1080p or 1080i and not look stretchy. Not trying to argue here but pretty much every ps3 exclusive game tends to have much much prettier scenery than multi-platform games.

Killzone 3's native resolution is actually 720p, not 1080. And I'd love to get this on PC if it was available and there wouldn't need to be any compromises made.

I do like how in the demo I felt like a 'person running' rather than a 'camera bouncing' not sure what they did differently to get that effect but it works.

They employ a motion blur effect around the edges of the screen. It's subtle, but it's the little details like that that Guerrilla Games really seems to nail.

I found this to be a poor review, as well as long winded, and counterproductive on the points made.

How does it handle with Move?

Im a 360 owner and i FUCKING LOVED killzone 1. Makes me want a PS3 for this... and GOW3... and MGS4... Darn you playstation classics

Hmm... looks interesting and a nice addition to the FPS roster of the PS3. I actually would like to play it. I want a PS3.

Also, that scene at the end of the review would be great material for Unskippable.

Is the practice mode where you fight against bots with multiplayer modes playable in split-screen? That would kick ass.

? Damn double post.

I think I might pick this up, although the only experience I've had with the Killzone games is the original on PS2, when I played it at a friends house. It was a good game from what I remember though.

Great review Greg, one of you're best ones.

Velasquez! Take down that (space) helicopter!

Ugh, they still haven't fixed the cover mechanics? I remember being frustrated with the second one because I was constantly getting filled with bullets because my avatar didn't know how to duck his head properly.

Oh well, I'm sure it'll be worth a Gamefly at least.

I'm surprised that there was no mention of the Operations game type, or was that only in the Beta?

No mention of the Move controls? Kind of weird. From someone who has played the demo and MP portion though I can tell you folks curious about it. For running and gunning, the Move is inferior to a standard controller. It lacks the speed for turning and the melee action (thrusting the controller at the screen) is awkward. For med range and long range and the pop-out-of-cover mechanic with motion control precision makes for an absolute beast when it comes to head shot. For single player I will be using the Move, online will be controller only.

Phenom828:

Story Summary of Killzone 2.

You aren't missing much.

Batsamaritan:
My main problem with killzone 2 was it tried too hard to be a halo beater and failed. This was a problem because it was actually an enjoyable game I just never understood why it got rated so highly, the unchrted and resistance games were much more fun and their the games I find myself returning too while killzone 2 slowly gathers dust.
ah well, i'll probably still buy it as its pretty much guarenteed to be fun for a playthrough.

I waited 3 years to finally get to play Resistance, but after playing it and its sequel, I was let down. Meanwhile, Killzone 2 blew me away when I thought it was going to just be bland. Kind of weird, huh? Just sharing a difference of opinion.

Anyway, I don't know if I'll be getting to play this, seeing as to the fact that the PS3 is my brother's and he has no job.

What are the controls like? Does it have the "weighted" feel of Killzone 2, or have they opted to use the more light-weight, responsive feel of COD?

Campaign co-op? Crap. This game just moved from the "Meh" to the "Pick up" side of the fence. Hopefully the story (and fighting) is better than the disasters that were the first two games. I won't be the only one shooting and being shot at this time, right? It will look like an all out war with hundreds of soldiers fighting each other instead of two men sneaking off by themselves to completely destroy the entire opposing army? Nah, I'm probably getting my hopes up...

Nit Pick

"The graphics...no cinematography is just breathtaking". You're thinking of art direction. Cinematography is the art of using a camera to capture the world around them. For example, True Grit is nominated for best cinematography and just might win. There are hundreds of films that have been shot outside with very similar backgrounds. What sets True Grit apart from the other samey backgrounds is the quality of the cinematography. Everything you see physically in a game comes from the art direction.

aseelt:
How does it handle with Move?

Nothing short of great. I'm surprised the review doesn't state this. I never thought it would be more than a gimmick, but its actually a competitive option. I do play online with the move and land in the first places (which is not a problem, as the i'm usually second or third with the sixaxis as well).

Its a bit of a tradeoff: the controller is a bit more stable, but you can do things with the move that you cannot do using the sixaxis: like throwing a grenade over an object without panning the camera upwards. That makes chasing people out of cover far better and realistic. Grenade throwing in itself is _much_ better and accurate, especially while moving. Depending on your setting, you can also run in one direction (like, over a Bridge) and shoot a bit to the sides without loosing your direction and running into the railing. It certainly has advantages that the crosshair is not fixed to the middle of the screen. Close combat is a bit awkward, but that can be trained as well. One of the great things about the scheme is that they actually resisted the urge to map everything to gestures. Almost everything (except close combat) can also be done bye using a button.

My major nitpick about Move control is the number of parameters that can (and have to be) tuned to your liking (X- and Y-Deadzone, Crosshair Sensitivity, Aiming behaviour, Turn Speed). It takes a while to learn and some time to tune it to your style of playing. I actually played through the Single Player Demo 2 times to train it and then converted my settings to multiplayer and fine-tuned it there. But in the end, its really fun to actually have to keep your hand still while sniping instead of having this strange "but your hand shakes"-random-panning effect that most shooters have.

believer258:

Batsamaritan:

I waited 3 years to finally get to play Resistance, but after playing it and its sequel, I was let down. Meanwhile, Killzone 2 blew me away when I thought it was going to just be bland. Kind of weird, huh? Just sharing a difference of opinion.

Anyway, I don't know if I'll be getting to play this, seeing as to the fact that the PS3 is my brother's and he has no job.

Fair play.

In all honesty the resistance games need to grow on you, but for me they are more 'fun'. Like halo and uncharted I ended up playing the games to completion. Better setting, better guns and better multi-player. But its all about opinions atr the end of the day, as a good fellow once said their like assholes, everyone has them and they all stink.

Flamespeak:
No mention of the Move controls? Kind of weird. From someone who has played the demo and MP portion though I can tell you folks curious about it. For running and gunning, the Move is inferior to a standard controller. It lacks the speed for turning and the melee action (thrusting the controller at the screen) is awkward. For med range and long range and the pop-out-of-cover mechanic with motion control precision makes for an absolute beast when it comes to head shot. For single player I will be using the Move, online will be controller only.

probably because move is shit. I traded mine in last night for alpha protocol and castlevania.

the description hastily bundled together wii rip off is very apt.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here