One Classy Trailer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

One Classy Trailer

"X-Men: First Class" may be the most open, unapologetic example of a major movie studio "taking a Mulligan" on a franchise in Hollywood history.

Read Full Article

Sounds like it's really only doing more damage to the X-Men film series than before. I think I'll just stick to the first two and see what Aronofsky has in store.
And Nightcrawler was only in his twenties I thought in X2, so it wouldn't make sense for him to be conceived in First Class if it takes place 40 years prior. If it's in the same timeline at all.

Holly shit! That WAS Kevin Bacon standing next to Emma Frost. HOW could I have missed that nose?

Truly-A-Lie:
And Nightcrawler was only in his twenties I thought in X2, so it wouldn't make sense for him to be conceived in First Class if it takes place 40 years prior. If it's in the same timeline at all.

That scene with Mystique at 1:02 could be Nightcrawler's origin.
Or maybe at 1:20 with Beast, if they want to completely fuck-up the timeline.

It's official.

I'm wet for this movie.

Really looking forward to some good ol' buddies turning against each other because of idealogical differences action.
Plus, that helmet looks reeeally slick.

Okay, Bob, you've convinced me this could be fun. I wanna see it now. And happy birthday.

Aside: the entire diamond-girl concept is just so damn cool and awesome... but damn Marvel to the seven hells for giving her the name of my ex.

I am not looking forward to a movie that'll likely paint the Cuban Missile Crisis as some bizarre fiction where the Soviets were horrible aggressors. I know there's a big predilection to romanticize Kennedy and everything he was involved with, but seeing such recent history fall into the land of "extraordinary myth" so soon irks me.

that trailer is so bad-ass. this summer is REALLY gearing up to be the most epic movie summer since 2008.

also nice catch bob. i never realized that was Kevin 'freaking' Bacon next to Frost..awesome

I'm eager, but only because I (for some reason) still have faith in the X-Men universe. I remember growing up with the tv show and being so excited for X1 and X2 (X3 can die in a fire).

I'm eager, but only because I (for some reason) still have faith in the X-Men universe. I remember growing up with the tv show and being so excited for X1 and X2 (X3 can die in a fire).

Awesome trailer, excellent analysis but isn't Havok's laser being shot from his hand, not his chest?

I liked the Wolverine film.

Alright, the logic of the adamantium bullets (and the idea of them in the first place) is fucking stupid, but I liked much of the rest.

Sabrestar:
Okay, Bob, you've convinced me this could be fun. I wanna see it now. And happy birthday.

Aside: the entire diamond-girl concept is just so damn cool and awesome... but damn Marvel to the seven hells for giving her the name of my ex.

Why not all Nine hells?

Looks cool as hell. I'm split about the continuity thing though. For the good part, since all "mainstram" x-men are too young to appear, they have to dig deeper and explore the mythology, which is nice. On the other hand, it means having to stick to bad ideas done in previous films. Ideally, this ones does good, and they decide to say, no, it was not a part of the other films, and continue on from that point, thus we can re-explore the characters, and keep away from ugly costumes.

Damn you Bob! You linked to tvtropes! Now the rest of my day is ruined!

*looks up mister sinister at end of article...

so is this some fan-theory that first-class will be a new trilogy and have apocalypse as the main bad-dude or something? i am no Xman expert but isn't he like the ultimate Xmen villian?

Holy crap that was an awesome trailer.

I've officially gone from not caring about the movie to looking forward to it.

Yes, yes, awesome trailer. Now they need to hurry up and release an official Captain America trailer. Speaking of, what'd you think of the Superbowl teaser for the Captain there Bob?

Wait, did Vaughn direct Kick-ass? If so, all my doubts for this movie are washed away.

Good lord, I couldn't care less about this movie. My apathy is so profound that it's at risk of infecting The Avengers - a franchise that I've loved so far, and am looking forward to. Why do they have to keep shoving this garbage down our throats? Reboot after reboot, remake following remake -

Hey, Hollywood - get some original material that doesn't suck!

You're right. That's definitely Azazel. He's a much more interesting character than night crawler anyway. So I'm really glad about it tbh.

Also. This looks like it's easily the best X-men related film to have been made.

The trilogy was dire. And the origins was even worse. With any luck this will be pretty badass.

ZeoAssassin:
*looks up mister sinister at end of article...

so is this some fan-theory that first-class will be a new trilogy and have apocalypse as the main bad-dude or something? i am no Xman expert but isn't he like the ultimate Xmen villian?

If memory serves in one of his stories. One of his 4 horsemen was the Hulk. War if I remember correctly.

And he controlled him. So yea. He is certainly one of the more powerful things they ever got involved with.

Completely agree about the relationship between Charles and Eric is the most important thing here. Their split has to be handled right, as a genuine conflict of interest that can never be overcome.

My worst fears for this film will be that it turns out like the latest Robin Hood movie where Prince John turns on Robin for no reason other than it's part of the mythology.

If it turns out that Charles slept with Eric's girl and that why Magneto forms the Brotherhood; I'll hurl my chair at the screen in rage.

I'm really hoping that some of the older players in the Marvel Universe get some screen time: Exodus, High Evolutionary, etc.

Why the hell would anyone hope OLVIER PLATT would be Mr. Sinister?

Pluses: The Hellfire Club is a great villain for this movie, as unlike most X-Men villains, Shaw doesn't have a personal stake in the Erik vs. Charles fight. It also means you get to use interesting characters like Morrison's Emma.

Minuses: Nowhere near enough character interaction in this trailer. I don't come to see X-Men for the special effects; I can get those in 50 other movies coming out in the next two years.

Also, many of the X-Men's lesser characters are ignored for a reason: Their concepts are dumb. Darwin is basically a walking deus ex machina, Azazel is a comic-booky mess, and Mr. Sinister is straight out of bad fanfiction.

Just reading that made my mind melt from trying to unravel all the continuity. How do people keep up with all the convoluted back stories and different versions?

As for the film; haven't decided if i want to see it yet, last one didn't seem that interesting and this one hasn't piqued my interest either. Probably wait to see what bob says about it.

Jumwa:
I am not looking forward to a movie that'll likely paint the Cuban Missile Crisis as some bizarre fiction where the Soviets were horrible aggressors. I know there's a big predilection to romanticize Kennedy and everything he was involved with, but seeing such recent history fall into the land of "extraordinary myth" so soon irks me.

One of the characters you just saw can teleport by travelling through hell.

It's already bizarre fiction. No one is going to argue a new theory about the Cuban missile crisis and cite First Class as evidence. Even in pub discussions, saying "the soviets were actually bad guys according to First Clas-" is going to sound bollocks, cause it was also the movie with the guy shooting lasers from his chest.

I think Oliver Platt's "The Man in Black" might also be the Shadow King.

Karma168:
Just reading that made my mind melt from trying to unravel all the continuity. How do people keep up with all the convoluted back stories and different versions?

As for the film; haven't decided if i want to see it yet, last one didn't seem that interesting and this one hasn't piqued my interest either. Probably wait to see what bob says about it.

You aren't required to. That is the thing about continuity, if you enjoy it, then embrace it, if you don't, just enjoy the movie and acknowledge that there is some greater depth that you probably don't want to bother with. This movie is such a big reboot that you don't need to have even seen the first movies, so you don't need to know any of this.

MovieBob:
00:55 Lensher and Xavier meet with Zoe Kravitz as teenage mutant Angel Salvadore - first big onscreen confirmation for fans that they're playing fast and loose with the timeline, bringing modern characters into this 60s-set story. I have no issue with that - different version, different continuity, etc.

And yes, you saw the fly-wings correctly: Angel is essentially a person-sized Faerie.

I was pretty sure it was Pixie but you might be right on that one

A movie about the Starjammers would be the coolest thing ever. Also I really hope this mysterious man in black turns out to be the shadow king, THAT WOULD BE TOO AWESOME!!!!

dathwampeer:
You're right. That's definitely Azazel. He's a much more interesting character than night crawler anyway. So I'm really glad about it tbh.

Also. This looks like it's easily the best X-men related film to have been made.

The trilogy was dire. And the origins was even worse. With any luck this will be pretty badass.

i don't know. The 2nd one deserves a little slack if only due to this scene

god that was just so cool then. and even now.

bahumat42:

dathwampeer:

i don't know. The 2nd one deserves a little slack if only due to this scene

god that was just so cool then. and even now.

The second was the best film overall.

And yea that scene was great. But I still wouldn't say the whole movie was particularly great.

It does get points for having nightcralwer in it. Even if he doesn't really do much after that scene.

when i watch it i was like "meh, i'll check if its good when it comes".
but you are, "omg he is in it, beast love !?!, NIGHTCRAWLEEER!! "

I have a question, shouldn't take too long to answer, but I'm confused about the movie continuity. If this is taking place when Magneto and Prof X are young, shouldn't -all the other- Xmen, basically be not born yet/4-5 years old? What am I getting wrong here?

The trailer is good. We have to wait and see whether the movie is good.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here