The Big Picture: Correctitude

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 22 NEXT

Correctitude

MovieBob discusses the difference between being politically incorrect and just being a big, fat jerk.

Watch Video

Seemed a little more aggravated than usual this week Bob.
I'm pretty sure changing stories and characters to reflect times that the stories aren't set in or adding races that simply weren't there IS political correctness. But otherwise spot on.

I salute you. Spot on my good man.

Damn! Nicely done Bob! God it's good to hear someone step out from the mainstream and say something original (or at least more so than we're used to.)

Would "finally, someone says what we're all thinking" be too cliché?

Not bad, but I don't remember the resident evil 5 racism scandal being quite like how you portray it. I'm pretty sure the complaints were "whitey killing blacks" and not "misuse of tribal imagery" But hey, I could be wrong.

Edit: Before the MovieBob defense force comes to crucify me, here's a quote from a group of the complainer's since the original article has been taken down.
http://gamepolitics.com/2007/08/01/african-womens-blog-critical-of-resident-evil-5-trailer

God i loved this, i was thinking this the other day when i heard someone making race 'jokes' (the kind that aren't even remotely funny) at the mall the other day, one of his friend called him out on it and he went on about "you just PC" and i though to myself, no your just an ass, but seeing as i was eavesdropping and the time it seemed impolite to comment.

I love you.

Bob is angry!!!! *cowers*

Spot on as always man. Can't we turn you into some sort of cyber vigilante? Just you in a superhero costume with the caption "Bob disapproves". Or something similar...

Dude, the point of Wikipedia is that everything has an external, credible source.

I agree with some parts of it and not others. For my part, I don't go out of my way to be a jerk, but I don't walk on eggshells either. Also, I firmly believe that "he" and the like are still acceptable as neutered pronouns and use them as such. I never replace "man" with "person" and I have only met a single African American in my life. Met a lot of black people, though.

That was a really good topic, Hope to see more of these

Mertruve:
Dude, the point of Wikipedia is that everything has an external, credible source.[citation needed]

Fixed.

Not everything is sourced properly.

One of your best, Bob. I'm all for free speech, but if someone is going to be a jerk and offend just for the sake of being offensive, then they have no justification to defend themselves and deserve to be called out on their douchebaggery.

I have a rule of thumb regarding political incorrectness: you can make a joke about anything you like, but if it's racist/sexist/otherwise offensive, it has to be very, very funny or clever to make up for it. Just being rude for the sake of it isn't nearly enough. Meanwhile, as Bob says, 'political correctness' is mostly just courtesy. And when it does 'go mad' - not nearly as often as bigots would have us believe - it's mostly as a result of ignorance, which is inexcusable in anyone (as with the poor guy that got fired for using the word 'niggardly')

Nice movie - any particular reason it popped up now, other than just the Thor thing?

Interesting, a well made argument as always and very thought provoking. Not sure I completely agree with you this week but I can see your point, ESPECIALLY the bit about "words mean things." Too often people have to skirt around their opinions because they are trying not to offend anyone. Honesty is a better option than being secretive about your opinions.

samus17:
Not bad, but I don't remember the resident evil 5 racism scandal being quite like how you portray it. I'm pretty sure the complaints were "whitey killing blacks" and not "misuse of tribal imagery" But hey, I could be wrong.

Edit: Before the MovieBob defense force comes to crucify me, here's a quote from a group of the complainer's since the original article has been taken down.
http://gamepolitics.com/2007/08/01/african-womens-blog-critical-of-resident-evil-5-trailer

In all fairness, thats a valid point even without the link. At least you were civil about it rather than storming in saying "You're a load of shit Bob, and I know better than you because etc, etc..."

Quite vindictive towards the end this week Bob. Presumably you had a run in with a particularly pig headed pc-user?

Hm. Itīs hard to express my feelings on this.

You mentioned Resident evil 5. I donīt agree with you. They werenīt being jerks. Sure, there are people who use that sheild, but the problem is that itīs pretty damn hard to point out if someone is just hiding behind the "polictically incorrect" shield or if they are honestly "polictically incorrect" since itīs mostly a matter of definition, which i think no word should be. And no law should be.

(This has nothing to do with the rest of the post, but i feel i should bring this up. Sexual harassment is one of the most stupid laws ever, since itīs the VICTIM who defines the crime, and not a third-person/book. For example, whistling may be for some women completly acceptable and maybe even flattering, but for other, IT`S SEXUAL HARASSMENT. Laws need to be clearly defined, not be defined by the victim.)

Using a fried chicken joke to insult Obama is obviously stupid and jerk-ish, but like you mentioned, Resident evil 5.

Are they being jerks? In my opinion, no. In your opinion, yes. Itīs a hard issue to define, and i think the world would be better if the term "Polictically correct" didnīt exist.
And lastly, people should be allowed to say whatever they want (unless itīs threats, ofcourse), no matter if it "offends a certain group of people" if i say everone who eats...i dunno...chicked sallad are dim-witted cocksuckers, i should be allowed to say that. I should be ignored, because iīm stupid, sure, but i should be allowed to say it.

If it seems strange that i brought up that last point, in Sweden, we have a law that says you are not allowed to insult someone based on religion, gender or race.

There are phrases that have changed in this day and age that can offend and that is fine - like getting rid of the Golliwog dolls or the dogs name in Huck Finn. Those are understandable. Now the PC stuff i can not stand is changing things for the sake of it eg a race connection that was never there. For instance changing Baa Baa Black Sheep, to Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep. Thats retarded and i do not know one person that saw that nursary rhyme as having any race connections, some could say calling it a rainbow sheep might now see it given a homosexual meaning? Another instance was some councils in the UK wouldn't have a nativity scene for christmas as its un-PC and could offend Muslims - even though i don't think any muslims have ever been offended by christmas and probably enjoy the lights and decorations as much as christians enjoy the decorations from muslim celebrations. Its the people that change word useage over a perceived insult that no one ever thought insulting. Problem is everything can be seen as insulting to certain group of people and if you get offended by something then tough - you can't keep everyone happy and change everything to ensure every group of people on this planet isnt offended by something. Words change there meaning daily, some black people use the word nigger to mean something positive even though its offensive for white people to use it in the same way. Also the word gay started off to mean happy and now is a word for homosexual. Yes, i believe words that are offensive should be changed but lets not go crazy about it.

Every single comedian he mentioned at the end of the video are the GREATEST COMEDIANS EVER (except Sam lol) Nice shoutout! Kudos Bob!

Ha. Think that was a beavis and butthead flash game I remembered playing 10-12 years ago at 5:27. Nice video

Wow... Now I feel bad for ever laughing at Jeff Dunham. Then again, I only laughed at his Walter sketches, the other ones weren't that funny to me.

Also, I don't think I've seen you this angry since your Transformers 2 review.

Wow, that was a great topic and all very true. The Big Picture may become my favorite show on the Escapist. Also you got very worked up Bob but that's fine it shows you care about the topics you talk about.

I agree with your general theme here (people bashing PC are often just being jerks) there are times where the 'PC police' get a bit crazy.

Two examples of what I mean, politics and Hollywood. In politics often you see such mental gymnastics take place to sling mud at the opposition. Words are twisted in completely counter intuitive, and often just plain fallacious manners. One recent campaign in my area twisted the words of one politician to try and paint them as anti-semitic, despite the politician being portrayed as such being Jewish. All this under guise of being PC. Buh what?

As for my other statement, how many times have you seen a movie where there is token character (insert race/ gender/ disability/ other minority status here). It's insulting all around. It insults the audience by pandering to them, and it insults anyone who is a member of those minority groups by portraying them in broad, often one dimensional, strokes. I'm not saying all (or even most) such characters are PC centric, but you've seen them before. They prevent true social progress by portraying those groups as one note plot devices, rather than people.

So yes, most of the time people using that anti-PC defense are just being trolls or jerks, don't dismiss the idea that sometimes the people using it have legitimate gripes.

Nice one Bob, though I don't think that it'll change anything in online arguements, and it especially won't change trolls but stills, thanks for putting the truth out there.

Hard hitting video with a lot of good points.

but I still think PCU is a fun movie(although horrifically dated)

Bob wins a billion internets this week.

The Anti-thinker lives!

he sounded pretty pissed at the ending

Damn Bob, this is one of those Big Picture videos that I completely agreed with you, spot on mate

If the feminist orthodoxy turn out to be godzilla I'm sure a lot more people would be behind it

While I had my issue with TBP previously this one was very good

Well I agree some of what he has to say this week, but not all of it. There is a undercurrent of political correctness that annoys the living shit out of me.

What's wrong with Chairman? Why do we need to change it to the clunky unnatural sounding Chairperson for example? Yeah I get the actual chair might be a woman, but woman and women have man and men in them, so big bloody deal. Let it be a language hold over like calling a judge "your honour"

Oh another that really irks me, if the flight attendant thing, there were already perfectly acceptable English words for those jobs, Steward and Stewardess, what the hell was wrong with them? And while I'm on the subject of jobs, you're not an auto repair technician, you're a mechanic, there are perfectly good words that people refuse to use for stupid reasons.

It's one thing, for example, to change a phrase from something like "retarded" to "developmentally challenged" (though to be fair they mean pretty much the same thing, one just has a long history of use as an insult as well), but come-on there is a thing as going too far; just look at that LA ordnance that wanted to change how hard drive jumpers were labelled, it took an issue with "master" and "slave". ( http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/master.asp )

Of course someone using a politically incorrect term in a mean, insulting way is just trolling. Context is what matters when it comes to being PIC, and a lot of the PC backlash isn't necessarily being PIC, but simply hating it when things are made PC that don't need to be.

samus17:

I agree with this guy.

The guys that made a fuss before the game even came out where actually just complaining about the whole mighty-whitey-kills-the-negros thing. I'd say the tribal zombies that we all saw after the game came out where a little bit racist though.

Carlos and Jeff are really funny :'(

please don't quote me just to tell me they're not, waste of everyones time

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 22 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook