The Big Picture: Correctitude

Pages PREV 1 . . . 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 NEXT

the clockmaker:
Yeah sod it, i'm just about done as well, but a couple of final points

Oho! But now we have to play "who gets the final word?"

Were I the bigger man I'd leave it to you. Guess I'm not the bigger man:

1-god svae the queen does not cause you to hace a disconnect from your homeland

Not if you're not relentlessly petty, no it doesn't. Of course one could complain that we owe no concrete allegiance to the Queen, that hereditary monarchy is retrograde, that many of us hail from lands that were actually oppressed by the British... but that would be kicking up dust over trivialities. The mirror image of what you're doing.

You pointed out that you know about the social system in canada, that has no bearing on the way things work in the territory

I didn't say it did, in fact I specifically said it didn't, this is dishonest.

The articles were more than intesting, you accused me of misrepresenting hte situation

Correctly, as you were forced to admit.

these cases prove that well intentioned miss steps under the guise of political correctness can have devestating consequences.

They prove how complicated the situation is. Of course they're a very selective sample; we don't know the net consequences of the ACPP by looking at them and ranting about "political correctness" won't help us get at that knowledge. Therefore they are, at the moment, interesting.

and you still use racism as a rhetorical crutch to avoid stepping out of this culture of seeming rather than doing good.

Flat falsehood. Challenged to demonstrate this from any statement I've made on this thread I will lay money you couldn't do it.

Now I leave the last word to you. Honest.

BobDobolina:

the clockmaker:
Yeah sod it, i'm just about done as well, but a couple of final points

Oho! But now we have to play "who gets the final word?"

Were I the bigger man I'd leave it to you. Guess I'm not the bigger man:

1-god svae the queen does not cause you to hace a disconnect from your homeland

Not if you're not relentlessly petty, no it doesn't. Of course one could complain that we owe no concrete allegiance to the Queen, that hereditary monarchy is retrograde, that many of us hail from lands that were actually oppressed by the British... but that would be kicking up dust over trivialities. The mirror image of what you're doing.

You pointed out that you know about the social system in canada, that has no bearing on the way things work in the territory

I didn't say it did, in fact I specifically said it didn't, this is dishonest.

The articles were more than intesting, you accused me of misrepresenting hte situation

Correctly, as you were forced to admit.

these cases prove that well intentioned miss steps under the guise of political correctness can have devestating consequences.

They prove how complicated the situation is. Of course they're a very selective sample; we don't know the net consequences of the ACPP by looking at them and ranting about "political correctness" won't help us get at that knowledge. Therefore they are, at the moment, interesting.

and you still use racism as a rhetorical crutch to avoid stepping out of this culture of seeming rather than doing good.

Flat falsehood. Challenged to demonstrate this from any statement I've made on this thread I will lay money you couldn't do it.

Now I leave the last word to you. Honest.

Noy you take the last word, we are clearly not going to agree, so yes, take the last word, step into my web...

It is always good to hear what you have to say Bob, your analysis always has something to it.

Unfortunately by focusing on trolls you prove yourself correct and incorrect. Correct in regards to your primary frame of reference (pathetic right-leaning American trolls), incorrect overall. You see, in academia, political correctness and many other leftist biases do exist. It has become a part of the culture, and a part of what diffuses into the culture outside of the uni. I have experience here so I can say, in my experience, certain topics and theorists have become taboo, discouraged and highly troublesome for an intellectual within a university to write upon or research.

My PhD project is on understanding Islamist emergence through the application and critical examination of multiple theories (a macro introduction to the issues). A great deal has been written, but reactonary reviews slam a lot of useful contributions calling them racist (an ideology or religion is not a race) or simply calling-out any ideological examination of early Islam or Islamic movements as detrimental to the multi-cultural society, dangerous, intolerent etc etc etc. My field, which is coming together as a new discipline faces these problems every day. And a lot of good work is shoved aside because it is not leftist enough, or considered tolerant enough, even when it concerned with finding and providing answers, being critical (even of sacred cows) is soundly supported by research, established historical fact or simple logic.

When talking about cultural movements, flow on allegiances from decades back it is always difficult to be accurate. Good luck with these types of pieces though Bob.

the clockmaker:
Noy you take the last word, we are clearly not going to agree, so yes, take the last word, step into my web...

Okay. Stop me if you've heard this one: a black guy and a white guy buy houses next to each other.

At first they're friendly. But after a week, the white guy feels the need to differentiate his house, and paints it pink. He grinds his teeth when the black guy follows suit within days.

The next week, the white guy builds a fence and paints it white. Again, the black guy follows suit. The white guy is livid, but doesn't say anything.

After a few months more, the unspoken tension is too much. The white guys decides to sell, and lists his house at $400K. Lo and behold, the very next week he finds out from his realtor that the black guy listed his house at $800K. That same day he sees potential buyers looking over the neighbour's home at an open house.

Fed up, the white guy finally decides to confront his neighbour. "You've got some balls imitating everything I do and then listing your house for the double the price," he rages at him. "How the hell do you have customers before we do?"

The black guy shrugs. "Simple. You've got a black neighbor. Mine's white."

BA-dump! CHING!

(Hey, I never said I wasn't a dick.)

BobDobolina:
words

I gotta say, we may disagree on a few things, but taht was very funny

I think that all the jokes that I know about race relations are much too offensive too repeat, having working with a lot of real racists in my time, so, in the interests of preserving my moderate status, I shall censor them,

What do you call BLANK BLANK BLANK BLANK the defendent.
Why BLANK BLANK BLANK BLANK BLANK BLANK your bike
what do you call BLANK BLANK BLANK BLANK BLANK a homeowner
WHat do you do when you see BLANK BLANK BLANK BLANK BLANK reload.

I feel really bad at laughing at those

the clockmaker:
I feel really bad at laughing at those

Oldies but goodies.

Cheerio. Now I really do have to go.

I concur. But,uh....Bob? I like Jeff Dunham! -_- So that's what Glenn Beck is. A guy who points out the idiocies of current politics. But ultimately, does nothing. Weird.

metalmanky306:

THEJORRRG:

You know what, I think we're in agreement here. It's more the listeners responsibility to have a sense of humor and to not take themselves seriously than it is for the speaker to be careful with their words. If you're not specifically trying to offend, then you shouldn't have to be treated like someone who is.
I still think it's best for us to be respectful of others, though. Some people do take themselves seriously, and society does attach far too much gravity to certain words, but I'm not going to use hurtful words just because they shouldn't be as hurtful as they are.

your two paragraphs contradict eachother a little don't they? yet i am in agreeement with you - i guess they should contradict 'cause it's about compromise. i think the only thing bob did wrong in this video, i think, is talk about bigots while being somewhat bigoted to the other extreme. the only thing i say differently to you is, don't get me wrong, there are lines i wouldn't cross in certain situations but, when it's called for, i WOULD use those words simply to make the point that they shouldn't be as hurtful as they are.

Yeah, lol I'm pretty sure we're trying to explain the same thing over and over, so I'll sum it up. Words shouldn't be taken too seriously, and hopefully eventually they won't be, but for now they do, so I'll watch what I say.

BobDobolina:

UltraHammer:
He's recently gotten up about the tea partiers, criticizing their American president the same way we have for decades (just on a bigger scale than usual) have been labeled by so many as motivated only by racism. Which is completely untrue

You have a way bigger problem, then, than "political correctness." Like making sure all the actual rabid racists who call themselves Tea Partiers get the memo. And making sure you're not naive about how many of those there actually are.

Nice try. "The tea party is motivated only by racism" is as untrue as "Muslims are all terrorists". No one ever said that none of them went too far; and it's not like any of the civil ones like them or stand up for them.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18950_9-major-stories-everyone-got-wrong-this-year.html
Read #8.

UltraHammer:
Nice try.

What "try"? It's genuinely the bigger problem.

(Yeah, I've seen that Cracked article; the lesson is that people should have spent less time buying into the "Hippies" stereotype and more time fighting it. Like the "Tea Partiers" need to be doing now. Having less obviously-uninformed political views might also help; that shit sticks, as the soi-disant Freaks discovered. The Cracked article is unfair in one respect: nobody else invented the "teabaggers" moniker for the "Tea Party." That there was a -- deeply regrettable -- own-goal.)

BobDobolina:
What "try"? It's genuinely the bigger problem.

You can't say stuff like:
"You have a bigger problem...", or "...making sure you're not naive..."
And not be trying to discredit me because you've decided that I'm not on your side: and you've got to do stuff to make me sound wrong.

But of course, now you're lessening your claims to just "it's a bigger problem". You know, since you read Cracked, are you familiar with the "internet argument techniques"? ;\

UltraHammer:
You can't say stuff like:
"You have a bigger problem...", or "...making sure you're not naive..."
And not be trying to discredit me because you've decided that I'm not on your side

Can't I? Why? Is it not... politically correct?

And where did I "lessen my claim"? It's the same claim, using the same words...

I agreed with every single word.

Dark approves (+15)

BmoreAkuma:
That argument is like saying calling a black the n word or calling a gay male the F word then have the nerve to say "it's only words dont give them power"

And that is an argument I would completely agree with. Why do we let words like "nigger" or "faggot" have power over us to be "forbidden words"? Why can't we change the meaning? Surely they can be used in a different way. Hell, the guys from South Park tried using "faggot" as an alternative for "douchey jerks who ride Harleys". If there is genuine hatred behind the words, then there is more to it. But if not, they are just words and nothing more.

Although he makes good point, i would like to hear him mention some people that ARE PI, not WERE.

Props for mentioning Bill Hicks.

The problem with political correctness is that far too often it is used so simply shut down debate on uncomfortable topics or ideas, rather than being used to promote tolerance and acceptance among different communities. If someone tries to bring up issues with Islam for example, they are called an Islamophobe, branded as a racist, and shut out from the political discourse. Christie Blatchford (a prominent Canadian columnist for the Globe and Mail), was banned recently from a university campus because her views of Islam were viewed as "racist," and her work labeled as "hate speech" despite the fact that it was neither.

tl:dr - Political correctness has become a monster that no longer does what it's supposed to.

THEJORRRG:

Yeah, lol I'm pretty sure we're trying to explain the same thing over and over, so I'll sum it up. Words shouldn't be taken too seriously, and hopefully eventually they won't be, but for now they do, so I'll watch what I say.

yeah, and I, on the other hand, will use those words, in the hope that people can take them less seriously in future :D

i think we're done here now lol

You sounded like you were ready to chew through iron at the end there. While I agree with everything you said when it comes to casting in a movie and using fantasy novels as a setting I can see both sides. There were no people of ethnicity other than caucasian within norse mythology so having someone that is just seems out of place, and to some may seem as if people of other ethnicity are cast simply to 'even things out' as some people on the forums put it.

While I respect your opinion, (Otherwise I wouldn't watch your videos.) There are people out there that aren't trying to be bigots when they point things like this out.

Wow Bob you seem to be...All the Rage.

Mertruve:
Dude, the point of Wikipedia is that everything has an external, credible source.

In theory. The reality is another matter and sometime you have sources conflicting with each other or requiring expertise just to understand what they are even saying. This is assuming there is much out there on the topic at hand that *is* credible.

SilverUchiha:

BmoreAkuma:
That argument is like saying calling a black the n word or calling a gay male the F word then have the nerve to say "it's only words dont give them power"

And that is an argument I would completely agree with. Why do we let words like "nigger" or "faggot" have power over us to be "forbidden words"? Why can't we change the meaning? Surely they can be used in a different way. Hell, the guys from South Park tried using "faggot" as an alternative for "douchey jerks who ride Harleys". If there is genuine hatred behind the words, then there is more to it. But if not, they are just words and nothing more.

That is an ideal fantasy when comes "words and their meaning" If that is the case then what is the point of a dictionary? Why not just change all words in human language with different meaning then it would lead to confusion on the person "intent" or "meaning"

BmoreAkuma:

SilverUchiha:

BmoreAkuma:

That is an ideal fantasy when comes "words and their meaning" If that is the case then what is the point of a dictionary? Why not just change all words in human language with different meaning then it would lead to confusion on the person "intent" or "meaning"

Not trying to confuse people. Just trying to make the world better. Why let bad words always remain bad? Why not revise and improve them? What is the point of the fucking dictionary? What is the point of words (aside from communication)? What I'm getting at is who arbitrarily decided to give words whatever meaning they have? People are always saying that the declaration of independence should be revised as the language is outdated and should be updated to meet with the language and technology of today. Why can't that same logic apply to all words? I honestly think you are just closed minded on such an issue that has such a simple fix.

where did groan saga go??

I'm not sure I understood this one, only that don't defend you being a jerk with
"oh its free speech" :/

wd bob
now if you could only extend your enlightened view to starving children in other countries
PS: team amerca was just the south park guys being jackasses

Hmm. Can't say I agree with everything that was said here. Think its a rather one sided take on the subject. Not balanced at all.

See Bob! This is great stuff! Keep it up.

Im all down for the general idea behind "pc". people treating each other with respect is never a bad thing.
showing respect and everyone walking on eggshells however is two different things,

for example my one main gripe with being pc is that im a black kid
I was born in the States and my parents are from the Carribean nothing about my direct family line links me to Africa so.. y the fuck am i a African American now? Can't i just be a black kid or better yet just an American?

A lot of good points in this video, but free speech is free speech. Most of the time it's easy to determine when someone is being a jerk or hateful or purposefully offensive. Other times, people take offence for the sake of it. The beauty of free speech is that you can offend and be offended.

My reaction after watching this video once: "Wait, what?"

My reaction after watching this video twice: "Oh. Yeah, of course."

Wow.... 730 comments. I was expecting your "Nerd Gods" video to have more comments than this, but I guess it's an important issue.

I know you're far too busy to actually have time to read 21 pages of comments, but if you ever do read this - this was a bloody amazing show and I feel compelled to keep it bookmarked so I have a good stream of quotes to use if I ever run into one of those "It's Political Correctness GONE MAD!" people who make my blood boil.

I gotta salute you for taking a stand and saying what you think - granted, you do that several times a week but it's not often that I agree with you quite as much as I do with this one!

I hope the majority of these 21 pages are praise and not asshattery, but I'm not gonna find out, I'm gonna use that time to watch more Big Picture...... Love and light be with you!

Fr]anc[is:
Carlos and Jeff are really funny :'(

please don't quote me just to tell me they're not, waste of everyones time

They are funny. They are really, really, really funny and shame on Moviebob for saying they aren't.

I was kind of agreeing with him until he called Mencia and Dunham jerks. Personally I think you can make fun of whoever you want as long as you diversify it (that is, if you are a comic and it is your profession to make fun of things).

took me a minute to figure out you were talking about political correctness and not about jerks who troll us mac users with their big fancy pc knowledge.

and hey, jeff dunham is funny.

i think your concept of what it political incorrectness is a liiiiittle bit skewed, just a little.
mel brooks isn't being politically incorrect, he's making sarcastic comments on sterotypes. george carlen did the same thing, he only comments on what's there.

first, the word political. are we talking about politics? no, we're talking about correctness on sensitive issues, but there's nothing we can do to change that so whatever.

politically incorrect is when anyone who pisses someone off for being wrong about a sensitive issue, like if i said 'pete manning is a jew'. this is incorrect and would offend a mighty amount of people. now if i said 'everything is made in china' first, who'd disagree? second, it's very common to find things made in china so saying 'everything is made in china' sounds just about right. and if you show me something made in switzerland i will shoot you in the face and call you a troll.

racist jokes are funny because they comment on something that's there, like sterotypes. sterotypes exist for a reason; because there's a very common trait. i.e. all nerds read comic books, sounds right. all black people eat fried chicken, it's offensive but i can say there is a trend. all people from new jersey are like the people on jersey shore, aren't they? give them money and they are

so when someone makes a black joke, they're not being incorrect, they're just pointing out what's there (unless they say something crazy like all black people can speak 3 languages, that's just silly and incorrect).

make sense? good. now stop ripping on the 90's, green day was and is the shit

JimHawking:
Half of what Bob said was right the other half was frankly pretty stupid.

-People using anti-political correctness as a shield, yeah screw them.

-People going WAY out of their way to avoid being "offensive" can be very annoying. For example, the insistence that the the phrase Arab terrorists is somehow offensive drives me a bit crazy.

No offense Bob you clearly don't have a very good grip on politics, your doing what bad comedians do. Most comedians can't do competent political commentary and confuse preaching an ideology (typically liberal) with wit. Stick to geekdom, you actually have something interesting to say about that.

actually, "Arab terrorists" is an offensive term if you use it to apply to all acts of terrorism. It insinuates that all terrorists are Arab, which is far from the truth. Terrorism is a tactic, not a type of person. If the term was used to describe a specific terrorist attack where the terrorists were of Arab descent, then it would be appropriate. That's not being PC, that is getting your facts straight.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here