The Big Picture: Correctitude

Pages PREV 1 . . . 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

excellent article, agree with every word. Have been saying this for years.

SilverUchiha:

BmoreAkuma:

SilverUchiha:

And that is an argument I would completely agree with. Why do we let words like "nigger" or "faggot" have power over us to be "forbidden words"? Why can't we change the meaning? Surely they can be used in a different way. Hell, the guys from South Park tried using "faggot" as an alternative for "douchey jerks who ride Harleys". If there is genuine hatred behind the words, then there is more to it. But if not, they are just words and nothing more.

That is an ideal fantasy when comes "words and their meaning" If that is the case then what is the point of a dictionary? Why not just change all words in human language with different meaning then it would lead to confusion on the person "intent" or "meaning"

Not trying to confuse people. Just trying to make the world better. Why let bad words always remain bad? Why not revise and improve them? What is the point of the fucking dictionary? What is the point of words (aside from communication)? What I'm getting at is who arbitrarily decided to give words whatever meaning they have? People are always saying that the declaration of independence should be revised as the language is outdated and should be updated to meet with the language and technology of today. Why can't that same logic apply to all words? I honestly think you are just closed minded on such an issue that has such a simple fix.

*facepalm*
Would it be politically incorrect for me to assume you're a straight white male from a well-off nation?
Because, y'know, this is starting to become a meme.

@NOOOB1

This is exactly what I'm talking about. "Arab Terrorists" as a phrase means "terrorists who are Arab" and nothing else. You had to do a bunch of linguistic gymnastics to make that offensive. So if I said "Irish Terrorists" in reference to the 1980's IRA that would be offensive to ALL Irish people? What the hell are you talking about? People like you are extremely annoying.

mr_rubino:

SilverUchiha:

BmoreAkuma:

That is an ideal fantasy when comes "words and their meaning" If that is the case then what is the point of a dictionary? Why not just change all words in human language with different meaning then it would lead to confusion on the person "intent" or "meaning"

Not trying to confuse people. Just trying to make the world better. Why let bad words always remain bad? Why not revise and improve them? What is the point of the fucking dictionary? What is the point of words (aside from communication)? What I'm getting at is who arbitrarily decided to give words whatever meaning they have? People are always saying that the declaration of independence should be revised as the language is outdated and should be updated to meet with the language and technology of today. Why can't that same logic apply to all words? I honestly think you are just closed minded on such an issue that has such a simple fix.

*facepalm*
Would it be politically incorrect for me to assume you're a straight white male from a well-off nation?
Because, y'know, this is starting to become a meme.

Does it really matter if it's politically incorrect or not?

JimHawking:
@NOOOB1

This is exactly what I'm talking about. "Arab Terrorists" as a phrase means "terrorists who are Arab" and nothing else. You had to do a bunch of linguistic gymnastics to make that offensive. So if I said "Irish Terrorists" in reference to the 1980's IRA that would be offensive to ALL Irish people? What the hell are you talking about? People like you are extremely annoying.

people like you are really stupid if you think that required "gymnastics". A lot of people make sweeping generalizations about Arab people and come to these same conclusions. You would have to be naive or willfully ignorant to claim otherwise.

Wow Bob you actually know what pissed off people whom were concerned about RE5 (such as myself). I'm actually surprised. Most folks are either in denial, confrontational or far too ignorant to get it but good job.

As for the anti-PC group, self-righteous bigotry is about the best I can expect, I don't even bother with them anymore.

Father Time:

Zero V85:

Shadow_Kid:
[quote="DPunch4" post="6.266064.10158800"]I don't agree with everything you said. I don't want a black person taking a white persons role in any remake. Unless it's re-imagining the whole movie. You wouldn't cast a white kid as Michael Jackson when hew was 8.

Have you seen Shawshank Redemption?
Morgan Freeman plays Red - redheaded irishmen. I dare you to say that movie was not awesome.

I agree that Shawshank was a great movie but that kind if thing is a one way street. It's fine to turn a white character in a book into a black character in a movie but I dare you to show me an example of the reverse. I grantee the ACLU would have that movie shut down for being raciest and insensitive if it ever got put into production in the first place.

You are a cretin.

Nicholas Cage in the film "World Trade Center".

Angelina Jolie plays "Mariane Pearl" in A Mighty Heart

Do I even have to go to all the films about Ancient Egypt? Or through David Caradenes career of yellowface cinema?

You need to go do your f***ing research son.

0thello:

Father Time:

Zero V85:

Have you seen Shawshank Redemption?
Morgan Freeman plays Red - redheaded irishmen. I dare you to say that movie was not awesome.

I agree that Shawshank was a great movie but that kind if thing is a one way street. It's fine to turn a white character in a book into a black character in a movie but I dare you to show me an example of the reverse. I grantee the ACLU would have that movie shut down for being raciest and insensitive if it ever got put into production in the first place.

You are a cretin.

Do I even have to go to all the films about Ancient Egypt? Or through David Caradenes career of yellowface cinema?

'

You quoted the wrong guy.

Father Time:

0thello:

Father Time:

You are a cretin.

'

You quoted the wrong guy.

And for that you have my apologies.

Political Correctness spawned as an extension of Marxist Critical Theory pushed by the Frankfurt Institute after they shipped over to the US after being trampled in Europe. Just like Critical Theory its purpose is to silence the opinions of those who disagree with them on a political level, without looking like free speech crushing hypocrites.

There is nothing progressive or academic about it, it exists to support a political agenda, and Bob is wrong, Science is suffering from it, as Geneticists and Anthropologists are forced to "play nice" and ditch racial studies.

I'm not going to lie I was getting a bit lost around the end

0thello:
Wow Bob you actually know what pissed off people whom were concerned about RE5 (such as myself). I'm actually surprised. Most folks are either in denial, confrontational or far too ignorant to get it but good job.

There were groups complaining about the game way before it was released. All they had was a trailer and yes there were groups complaining about a white hero mowing down black guys (although they were really zombies).

Oh and I object to the idea that most people bashing political correctness just want to be mean. That's just trying to demonize the other side.

Did he say "Bigot" or "big 'un"?

Justin1221:
Did he say "Bigot" or "big 'un"?

I'm fairly sure he said "bigot".

I'll say first that I love Escape to the Movies and the other episodes of this show when he goes on about pop culture history, but every time he gets into these more serious issues he ends up looking like a hipocritical strawman. Instead of going into a intelligent discusion about why the other side is wrong, all he does is call people who don't agree with him retards or in this case rascists hiding behind a buzzword.

You know, I'm not really sure what to make of this.

Yeah, I'm sure there are people who use 'PC' as a shield.

But what is politically incorrect? And just listing off people who were 'politically incorrect' doesn't mean a thing. Give us *examples*. Not just listing off people we may or may not know anything about. I mean sure, I know about Mel Brooks, but even then, what did he *do* that was politically incorrect? Or am I just to assume the man was born politically incorrect, and that was just how his entire life was? That everything he did was politically incorrect?

My personal favorite so far :)

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/counterpoint/stories/2011/3296657.htm

"We train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write "fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!" - Colonel Walter E. Kurtz, Apocalypse Now

Bob deserves an epic brofist for that rundown of awesome comedians.
Heroes. All of them.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 40657)