294: Anything But Child's Play

Pages PREV 1 2

Like the old Pokemon adage: The cool looking ones are the strongest.

Trying to explain the deeper mechanics of a game to a kid is missing the point, if you're having fun, you're playing right. I don't recommend playing with a young kid if you are into the more competitive mindset, however, as things can get frustrating very fast.

Not much constructive to add here, but great, great article. My Autistic younger brother used to endlessly frustrate me by "not understanding" how to play the game. I eventually gave up teaching him "the right way" and let him dink around with my PS2 whenever he wanted. He's now an avid gamer, and can do some truly amazing things with the controller. The most amazing thing is--he understands the concept of a constructed reality with its own rules and ways of functioning. Through this understanding,I firmly believe games have helped him form social skills and access intelligence that I (to my shame) never really thought he had. :(

The sound of a whole column of zombie-eating plants chewing must be interesting.

Steve Butts is a bit selective. When another quite original game came out (I've never seen anything like it) Butts wrote it into the ground when he was still with IGN. I assume it's the same Steve Butts anyway. Now that it's a little cutesy game it's alright, but when it's a game about freedom of choice that gives you a plethora of options on HOW you want to play the game, it's suddenly all no good because it's too harsh, too violent (hello, it's a GAME), and too "immature".

I wonder if Steve knows which game I'm talking about.

If he's NOT the Steve Butts from IGN, then I apologize for the confusion. :D

frans909:
Steve Butts is a bit selective. When another quite original game came out (I've never seen anything like it) Butts wrote it into the ground when he was still with IGN. I assume it's the same Steve Butts anyway. Now that it's a little cutesy game it's alright, but when it's a game about freedom of choice that gives you a plethora of options on HOW you want to play the game, it's suddenly all no good because it's too harsh, too violent (hello, it's a GAME), and too "immature".

I wonder if Steve knows which game I'm talking about.

If he's NOT the Steve Butts from IGN, then I apologize for the confusion. :D

Yeah, that's me and, no, I don't know what you're talking about.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here