Trailers: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Trailer

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Epic incarnate. Was sold at 1:05.

Dear Bethesda,

Please Please Please don't release a glitchy mess. If it takes another 6 months to a year to perfect this game, I'm more than willing to wait.

DO NOT release another New Vegas...A game which I sold in frustration due to terrible glitches.

Just because most systems can download updates do not assume we will be satisfied with a beta release.

See... I always play in 3rd person because I like to know just where my feet are, which is something I get with my own eyes, but not in most 1st person games. And I actually prefer the handling in 3rd, even without the crosshairs. I don't think it's pandering, and if it is okay, get as many people interested as possible by catering to as many play styles as is feasable. If this was a 1st person only game I wouldn't even be considering it but since it's both(as you can clearly see from the gameplay footage) I'm looking forward to it.

I just recently reinstalled Oblivion and am trying to finish it (Though I believe a bug will make that undoable).

Kind of Depressed I sold my 360 last year now...:(

A Tentative Review of the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Trailer:

Well, well, well. Seems that Bethesda has finally decided to show us a bit of the world that they've been making for the past five years. I have to admit that, as a serious RPG junkie, I've always had a place in my heart for the Elder Scrolls series.

Well...Morrowind and Oblivion, at least. I didn't jump on the Bethesda Bandwagon until about six months post-Morrowind, and my attempts to play Arena gave me pixelated nightmares. And let us not speak of the buggy horror that was Daggerfall. But Morrowind got me hooked, and Oblivion brought a much-needed graphical update to Morrowind's sole area of fail.

In any case, Oblivion was an incredible leap forward for the company, no matter whether the subject is graphics, gameplay, story, or even something as basic as their bottom line. I was geeked when Oblivion hit the shelves (I even built a brand-new, top-of-the-line computer just so I could run the damned thing at full specs), and I played it until my fingertips became nothing but keratin-topped calluses.

But I have to wonder...is Skyrim going to be the next Oblivion? Has Bethesda learned from the mistakes (Sea Dogs comes to mind) they've made in the past? I don't know, but regardless of how successful Skyrim is, in my opinion Bethesda is serving up too little, too late.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not immediately discounting the quality or even the viability of Skyrim at this point in time. I LIKE the way Skyrim looks; it's very pretty. Not quite the step-up there was from III to IV, but still damn tasty. And frankly, it's just too early, and we've seen too little of actual Skyrim gameplay, for me to have anything but a series of first impressions.

So what are my first impressions? Well, first is that I'm going to need to drop about $500 on a new graphics card, probably one with at least a gigabyte of onboard DDR5, because I don't think my 5-year-old 320Mb NVidia 8800 GTS is going to cut it, quite frankly, which is the last remaining piece from my aforementioned rig, the processor and motherboard of which decided to fry like crispy, delicious bacon without warning.

My second impression is that combat seems quite a bit more stylish than Oblivion was. There's the familiar first-person standard that's been around from Arena onwards, but there also seems to be a much more polished and fluid third-person-perspective. Admittedly, there were only a few glimpses of it in the above trailer, but it's a definite step up from the almost totally useless third-person of Oblivion. Beauty, after all, is in the eye of the beholder, and it seems that Bethesda has learned from what few graphical hiccoughs it made in the previous game. Maybe they've also fixed the creepy fixed-stare issue with everyone that you ever spoke to in Oblivion, too. Here's hoping.

Thirdly, and as a musician this is a big point with me, they brought back Jeremy Soule to do the music, and judging from the trailer, he's been listening to a lot of Wagner, as the droning major key outro in particular seems heavily inspired by the opening bars of "Das Rheingold" from Wagner's epic 14-hour "Der Ring des Nibelungen" cycle. An epic high-fantasy score for what is intended to be an epic high-fantasy game? Bulls-eye for Bethesda!

So there you have it. My first impressions.

And that's the problem.

Five years of building Skyrim, and we're only now getting our first taste of this supposedly epic new world? FIVE YEARS. And with plans to release on November 11th, that will nearly bring it to SIX.

Six years between games. That's a long time to wait. Not quite 'Duke Nukem Forever'-long, but still way longer than it should've been.

Now, I'm not saying that Bethesda should push unfinished products out the door the first chance they get; that's a sure-fire way to total consumer loyalty, and if there's one thing Bethesda can count on to make Skyrim even moderately successful in the unlikely possibility that it sucks a big fat one, it's the rabid fanboy loyalty they inspire.

But again...FIVE YEARS. I'm going to keep harping on it because it's my biggest point of contention. That's five years with nary a whimper on the new Elder Scrolls game, whereas Oblivion had been officially announced after TWO. I really think Bethesda has shot themselves in the foot on this score, with their poorly-timed marketing strategy.

As gamers, we constantly look for the next big thing, the newest, shiniest, sexiest, explodiest, grittiest, funniest, craziest thing that the game industry has put out. That's why game companies are so successful at what they do; they rely on a lack of patience in their target demographics. Consequently, when they aim to release a product that they feel will make them a lot of money and give them a good reputation, they want to ensnare our attention long in advance. They make teaser websites, they release music, they give interviews, they showcase demos, they reveal discarded ideas. They plug their product years before the release date to whet our appetite and to get us hungry for their next big thing.

This is not rocket science, people; it's basic marketing philosophy. Remember the flood of commercials surrounding "Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time"? When they first came out, people actually cheered in response. I should know; I was one of them. But even previous to this, Nintendo Power gave us screenshots and interviews in the years preceding its release. As a result of this (and other considerations, such as admittedly belonging to one of the most beloved and highly-lauded franchises in the history of gaming), Zelda 64 is widely regarded as THE greatest game of all time by critics and gamers alike. Hell, even the Guiness Book of World Records thinks so.

I'm not trying to say that Skyrim can no longer eclipse Zelda 64 as "Greatest Game" or anything like that, nor even that Ocarina of Time even DESERVES the spot. Our likes and dislikes are always completely subjective, after all. But what I am saying is that Bethesda had an opportunity here to get us salivating and to partly satiate our inner geek's desires, to keep us interested and to start a following well in advance, and they dropped the ball, pretty badly in my opinion.

For example, they could have released viral videos with nothing more than a catchy game-relevant voiceover and a brief piece of imagery or music and stamped 'Skyrim' on it at the end, and people would have talked about it for months, raising interest. They could've kept this sort of thing up for YEARS, and on minimum budget, revealing tiny details about the game, but instead we got silence.

Seriously; when is DEAD SILENCE about your next blockbuster product a good thing? From development start in April 2006, we never got so much as a skooma-laced whiff of it until four-and-a-half-years later, in August 2010, and even then it was referred to as just 'a game that [is]...in development'. We had to wait until December of last year before they deigned to give us a name and a trailer.

I have no real doubts that Skyrim will be successful, and pretty damn fun to play, even if Yahtzee lables it as a 'well-polished, HD-rendered turd'. But there has been a bizarre spate of bad marketing decisions from the gaming industry in recent years, and Bethesda seemingly jumping on that particular bandwagon doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence.

I honestly hope that Skyrim is a huge success so that the company can have a chance to wow us with an absolutely perfect game coupled with a brilliant marketing strategy. I WANT Bethesda to succeed. I WANT them to be inspired and to keep adding to the corpus of the Elder Scrolls history. But this time around, they're going to be relying entirely on the virtues of the game and word-of-mouth post-release...which is always a very dangerous place for a flagship product to be.

danyetman:
[A Massive Wall of Text]

So what you're saying is, you're really mad about their lack of teasing? Why?

Hell, they announced Diablo 3 nearly three goddamn years ago complete with a teaser site; I was excited, but now I'm kind of bitter with it's proposed release. With most other games, teaser sites/screenshots/trailers come out anywhere from a week before release to at most 14 months with announcements usually being 1-2years before release. Its harder to hype things over a long period of time because you will need to rely on a lot of content to whet people's appetites. I'm personally glad they announced it only ~1 year before release because then it's easier to keep peoples interest piqued. In other words, 1 year of hype is much better than 3 years of hype.

Why was this trailer rated Mature, again?

@DeliciousCake - It's more that I'm disappointed that they gave us absolutely NOTHING previous to October '10 than actually 'mad'. And as for lots of content, that's the sort of thing that Bethesda do best. Even a series of online 'Journal Entries', something that could be banged out in about twenty minutes by a competent writer (which the company has in multiplicity) would have sufficed.

And as for Diablo III's site, I'd rather know that it was there and being worked on for a future release than to receive dead silence on the subject and assume that Blizzard had left the world of Sanctuary in the arms of Mephisto, Diablo, and Ba'al (ie, that they'd abandoned the series).

But admittedly, that's a personal viewpoint.

I hope there won't be any fast traveling system...otherwise no matter how beautiful and huge the world of the game is I won't see much of it. The graphics look...ok...not important though. Most importantly the game looks EPIC and the music sounds EPIC...now if only they insert more drama, love, tragedy, and make the main quest HUGE...and I'll be happy.

danyetman:
Massive post

Look at what happened to Oblivion-- so many years of being front and center created a massive hype machine promising such high ideals for what they were hoping to accomplish that the multitudes of things that were done right by Oblivion got tragically overshadowed by discussions about what wasn't done.

I'm much happier about mum being the word for so long, about not sharing too much about the guts and potatoes without first making sure that what's being shared is fairly solid and established.

Remember Radiant AI? I think that stands alone without my needing to explain it out.

The hype machine is rolling full-force with this game already, and I can only imagine how unrealistic the expectations will become within the next 8 months, let alone if it had been given a couple years to slowly dole this info out.

---

Oblivion made the Elder Scrolls a household term, damn near. Word-of-mouth and limited promotion is a good move for this, IMO. It's also more financially solvable than a massive promotional machine a-la EA or Activision. I for one would be happier if more development and publishing houses spent less money marketing their creations and more money making their creations speak for themselves.

On a side note, there's some pretty good visuals there.. I was wondering how they were going to represent Skyrim as a country without just doing cliche vikings, but it looks like they've managed to blend the viking themes with a healthy dose of fantasy. That city looks pretty awesome, for example.

The story sounds a bit creaky, but then Bethesda do seem to be taking cues from 'generic fantasy story structure template A' in every game they make.

I'm going to go ahead and make the prediction: Game of the Year. Even with all the triple A games and blockbusters I think this will probably be the best.

Alright, you don't have to be excited or even intrigued by this game. But if you aren't in the slightest bit impressed by that music, then there is something very wrong with you.

Well, I have to say, the game does look awesome, although there is one thing I noticed... it seems to me that the story here leaves little room for the possibility of playing a race other then a Nord. Yes, I realize that the game does indeed take place in Skyrim, but my favorite part about playing Morrowind and Oblivion was the ability to create characters of multiple races, allowing for a multitude of play styles.

After Dragon Age 2 only allowing me to play as a human, I will be rather sad if Skyrim does the same.

Liquid Paradox:
it seems to me that the story here leaves little room for the possibility of playing a race other then a Nord.

I see no reason for such a limitation. It's my understanding that you don't actually play as Dovahkiin, rather that you are helping him in some way (much the same as oblivion, where you were not the emperor's bastard heir, but rather helping him).

danyetman:
snipped the great wall

so your biggest complaint is that instead of rushing a game out unfinished, they took their time to craft something truly great?

Ya, that makes sense.

Holy... Christ... THIS... this IS my (third) most anticipated game of the year.

I liked the music and I'm glad they'll be improving it greatly, sounds like a remastered version of Morrowind's theme. I just hope it gets a lot more variety this time than hearing the same 15 tracks over and over again for 500 hours.

I. Cannot. Wait.

darth gditch:

Frieswiththat:

thegreatkenji:
pretty excited for this. OH btw, did anyone else catch that the music in the trailer is a remix of the theme from morrowind? listen closely.

It's not actually a remix. It's its own theme, it's just been reworked, if you will.

I thought the score sounded magnificent. Definitely can hear strains from Morrowind and Oblivion, but it is it's own theme.

from 1:09-1:30, it's pretty much literally Morrowind, with a a choir. The rest of it seemed pretty original. Sounds fantastic though. The Elder Scrolls has always pulled through with great music, it really adds to the atmosphere. Jeremy Soule is one of the best.

SupahGamuh:
I liked the music and I'm glad they'll be improving it greatly, sounds like a remastered version of Morrowind's theme. I just hope it gets a lot more variety this time than hearing the same 15 tracks over and over again for 500 hours.

Dundun-dun-dun, dundun-dun-dun, dundun-dun-dun, dundun-dun-dun, dundun-dun-dun, dundun-dun-dun, dundun-dun-dun, dundun-dun-dun, dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dundun-dun-dundundun-duuuuuun..

In other words, I agree..

danyetman:
Five years of building Skyrim, and we're only now getting our first taste of this supposedly epic new world? FIVE YEARS. And with plans to release on November 11th, that will nearly bring it to SIX.

You're living in an age when people are spurting hot liquid semen (and some equally hot liquid bile) over the prospect of a new Deus Ex game.

If an IP has a strong and loyal fanbase, you can pretty much take as long as you want. Duke Nukem Forever is possibly the exception because its development has pretty much outlived the generation who played the original.

Definitely getting this.

Hopefully there'll be more variety in the dungeons this time.

HankMan:
Not sure how I feel about it being first person. I wanna see myself strut around in shiny armor.

EVERY Elder Scrolls game has been first person. What were you expecting?
Anyway, Morrowind and Oblivion (and probably the first two too) have also allowed you to play in 3rd-person. And Bethesda have already said that the 3rd-person view is much much better than Oblivion's.

This is by far one of the best trailers I have ever seen. If the game is half as good as this promises, its going to be one of the definite buys of this year.

Wow ... I must say ...

That ... was ... pretty *Squeeeees* #.#

Still not sure how the new combat system will work, but everything looks so tight and polished already ...

I know, I know. Trailer.

If you can't make a trailer look good you don't belong in marketing, but damn the game seems to have come together nicely.

I was sold in the first 20 seconds. It looks incredible, and if it plays like a tighter, gorier oblivion, i'll be smiling in anticipation until 11/11/11. Also, im praying to Akatosh that this time around there will be more than five or six voices!

Count me in. I actually enjoyed Oblivion, and Morrowind (more so). This seems to be them just getting better. I do hope for adjustments to leveling.... Oblivion's was more tedium than playable.

And so it was, that Bethesda took over the world.

Hopefully the 3rd person in this one won't suck like it did in Oblivion, cause those armor models look AWESOME. Though I don't know it it's just the horned helmet, but this trailer reminded me alot of Conan.

GameMaNiAC:

Valagetti:
They had me at Bethesda.

not a dragon. that's a wyvern

The themes for each game are simply meant to be variations on the overarching "Elder scrolls" theme, aren't they?
Sounds like they cranked up the staccato dial a notch between Morrowind and Oblivion and then another one, or maybe two, for Skyrim. :P

Was that a giant spider? I can feel some pretty terrifying dungeons coming up, especially if they can climb walls and hide in horrible edifices >.<

Dem forests... DAYUM!!

I came

HankMan:
Not sure how I feel about it being first person. I wanna see myself strut around in shiny armor.

???

TES have had 3rd person options since Morrowind; they haven't gone away, they've just never been the advised perspective for combat. It showed assassin and hunter in 3rd person a few times :P

Also: my second time today quoting you.

But yeah; as a fan for a while now (read: Morrowind) and having played the last two Fall Out games like :( I was glad to hear they'd totally re-written the engine they'd been using since that game to improve over-all quality.

But I'd no idea they'd meant it would be this good. This shit is bananas!

iShall certainly buy.

-snip- double post due post-verification taking too long xD

HankMan:

???

TES have had 3rd person options since Morrowind; they haven't gone away, they've just never been the advised perspective for combat. It showed assassin and hunter in 3rd person a few times :P

Also: my second time today quoting you.

But yeah; as a fan for a while now (read: Morrowind) and having played the last two Fall Out games like :( I was glad to hear they'd totally re-written the engine they'd been using since that game to improve over-all quality.

But I'd no idea they'd meant it would be this good. This shit is bananas!

iShall certainly buy.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or