Test Drive Unlimited 2 Review

Pages PREV 1 2

I keep reading the D in the TDU as an O...

TOU2 extreme ballet simulator

I have no idea what you guys are talking about with the controls being too sensitive. When you first begin to accelerate you will slide to the left and the right, just counter until you get into the next gear and then its smooth handling all the way.

Coming from Dirt 2 and Grid to this my big problem is with the AI. There is absolutely zero challenge in any race and the AI poses no threat whatsoever, so as pretty as the environments are and as neat as the game world is and as fun as the driving is its just... not fun as a whole.

Steve Butts:

I think it's fine if that's all you want to do, but I really do want something other than strict simulation in games. It's why I don't understand the appeal of civilian flight sims.

Even if simulation was the main point, the developers left some obvious holes in the imagined reality of the game and created a lot of content that just doesn't support the fantasy. I wouldn't mind all the window dressing if the core experience was more compelling. Like someone else said, Call of Duty still has to get the shooting parts right, no matter what else is added. So all the home decorating, plastic surgery, and photography missions would be less obnoxious if the actual driving content was more enjoyable.

Yes, I will agree. Driving isn't exactly "polished", and for now the connectivity issues are being patched, as well as some major bugs (save game corruption and similary bad ones). There are things to be desired in the driving department (better force feedback, better analogue brake, automatic clutch working only on gearchanges, ability to clutch if you use a sequential without a clutch pedal on your wheel set, Limited Slip Differentials, windscreen wipers, high beams, and those are just off the top of my head), and hopes at Test Drive forums are that those will be addressed.

However, there isn't a single game I can name at this point that does the driving in the open world better. I can name a few surrogates ofcourse
*GTA IV, and using a wheel is while possible, just a nightmare
*Just Cause 2 - only good thing about it was the scale of the thing, driving wasn't pleasant
*Test Drive Unlimited 1 - the low poly roads made it impossible to control a car when any elevation change was in question (and on the island of Oahu, it almost always is, I've found at most 7-10 compelling roads to drive in it).

So that's the simple secret to this gamem which allows for tons of fun for a lot of people. It allows you (BADLY) to do what others failed at completely. In the kingdom of paraplegics, an amputee is king (Probably lost something in the translation, but you get the idea)

Gaderael:
This is really frickin' sad. I was really hoping for a good racer for the PC. Oh well. Anyone have any suggestions for a good racing game for the PC that's been released in the last couple of years that they would recommend?

Steve Butts:
Test Drive Unlimited 2 Review

All the fun of driving an Audi to get an overpriced haircut.

Read Full Article

Completely off topic, but where did you get the Beard Badge? I need it!

The other guy adviced Fuel and the game is fun but it has his problems. The PC version has a mod that it is still beeing worked on that improves the game a lot. If you consider buying the game you should take a look at this.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/fuel-refueled

In this video most of the "extreme" stuff isnt in the free roam of the vanilla version

"If I knew you were incompetent I wouldn't have entrusted you with my car"
Well no shit lady ...

The cell phones! THE @#$%ING CELL PHONES!!!

That was the deal breaker for me on the latest Midnight Club. They give you an open world environment, and actually give you some seek & find collectibles, then CALL YOU every 30 seconds to tell you to do something. I see the ruddy glowing marker! It's 300' high! Stop calling/texting me!

If they have the same type deal in the new Test Drive... I'll stick to NFS Hot Pursuit and Shift.

As Good Game (Aussie TV gaming show) put it, every character in the game is a massive douche xD
The graphics don't look all that flash either.
Disappointed with this game.

Ya its a good game but i mean hey its not as fun as actually driving one of these many gorgouse cars. I live in honolulu and commute to work every morning in a lamborghini murcialago and nothing compares to driving a car like that i mean ya if you were to play the game with a force feedback racing wheel like the logitech G25 and be playing in the cockpit view ya it may feel real but no as real as ud hope. overall i would give the game a decent rating like 7.5/10 but theres just not as many things to do as u would expect to be able to do because hell lets face it TDU AND TDU2 are the only driving games with a title that fits the actual style of the game but like i said overal a rating of 7.5/10 in my books. Its a fun game to play just to short

I have the same issue. I proudly baught midnight club L.A and I have an issue with the cell phone thing even with TDU2 its just way to un needed. The beeping every 30 seconds is annoying and i do think that they shouldve put an option in the game that allows you to shut it off. So s2dio i completley agree with you

Did they fix it yet? I'm considering trading the execrable Fight Night Champion.

The game is good if you ask me but there are a lot of rage threads on their forums

punkocker56:
Ya its a good game but i mean hey its not as fun as actually driving one of these many gorgouse cars. I live in honolulu and commute to work every morning in a lamborghini murcialago and nothing compares to driving a car like that i mean ya if you were to play the game with a force feedback racing wheel like the logitech G25 and be playing in the cockpit view ya it may feel real but no as real as ud hope. overall i would give the game a decent rating like 7.5/10 but theres just not as many things to do as u would expect to be able to do because hell lets face it TDU AND TDU2 are the only driving games with a title that fits the actual style of the game but like i said overal a rating of 7.5/10 in my books. Its a fun game to play just to short

You have a Murciélago and can't even spell it right? Yeah, I totally buy that. Absolutely. Completely.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here