Trailers: Crysis 2 Semper Fi Trailer

Crysis 2 Semper Fi Trailer

An extensive preview of PlayStation 3 gameplay footage from Crysis 2.

Watch Video

The more I see about this game, the more excited I become. I'll get the PC version (and have pre-ordered it) but the marketing trailers and the gameplay videos look AWESOME.

Is it March yet? '-)

That's beautiful, and it's on the PS3. I wonder how it'll look on the PC.

Remember back when the aliens in crysis were NOT bipeds, were interesting and the game was a fairly good scy-fy story? THOSE WERE THE DAYS

"Hey Bob, how can we make the game a complete sellout?"
"Well, we could throw away being the underdog, tactics, plot, continuity, characters, and just make it look like COD + Halo, they sold well..."

Also, I know when the cloak gets engaged, it's when you turn invisible! You don't have to TELL ME each time!

Just realise the game already! It looks so stunning n' beautiful.

Thundordan:
Remember back when the aliens in crysis were NOT bipeds, were interesting and the game was a fairly good scy-fy story? THOSE WERE THE DAYS

"Well, we could throw away being the underdog, tactics, plot, continuity, characters, and just make it look like COD + Halo, they sold well..."

Also, I know when the cloak gets engaged, it's when you turn invisible! You don't have to TELL ME each time!

You're complaining about the whole suit talking thing NOW? I heard "Maximum Armor" and "Cloak Engaged" more than actual dialog in the first and Warhead. As for the game I think it will be alright, you're right I do want my damn glowing squid aliens back but there's nothing that can really be done at this point. I do like the idea of the tactical options thing they added, I highly doubt it can show you how to lure a group of enemies into a building then bring it down on top of them with C4 but at least I'll spend less time trying to find a sniper spot the first time through.

Thundordan:

The aliens in the original had AI that couldn't match the human AI, and the game was rather poorly written.

As for being the "underdog", you spend the first half of the game beating up KPA soldiers in your super-powered suit; then when the aliens come your suit is almost perfectly adapted to deal with them. The tactics are still there; the plot is being handled by two critically-acclaimed Sci-fi authors; and there's a whole bloody trailer that shows Prophet, and actively works on maintaining continuity.

And the suit voice was in the original.

So... research FAIL?

I seriously have to disagree with a few people here. This trailer honestly makes the console versions of this game look terrible. Even Crysis running on all medium settings looked better.

I know not to expect the console ports to look nearly as good as the PC version, but people really need to stop calling them "gorgeous". The visuals barely surpass other games currently on the market.

Now, compare the PC screen caps for Crysis 2 to the console versions. Then you'll see what "gorgeous" is.

Thundordan:

I remember -- that back in those days -- most people complained about how underdeveloped and boring the aliens from Crysis were; I also remember a lot of complaints about how the story lacked in every which way. Was and still is a thing of beauty, though.

Number two looks to be a lot more exciting and will actually deliver a story rather than a mere contextualization as an excuse to show off an advanced graphics engine.

Woodsey:

So... research FAIL?

More like epic fail.

Woodsey:

Thundordan:

The aliens in the original had AI that couldn't match the human AI, and the game was rather poorly written.

As for being the "underdog", you spend the first half of the game beating up KPA soldiers in your super-powered suit; then when the aliens come your suit is almost perfectly adapted to deal with them. The tactics are still there; the plot is being handled by two critically-acclaimed Sci-fi authors; and there's a whole bloody trailer that shows Prophet, and actively works on maintaining continuity.

So... research FAIL?

I agree with everything, but some guy told me that:

"The plot in the beta dev edition sucks, there's no "point" they're driving, it's literally just actions after actions. Noone learns anything, or realises anything. the main character's another Freeman, except this time the characters you interact with are 2dimensional and boring, so "critically acclaimed" Sci-fi writers need to step up cause this is no more than actions lined up in front of each other"

Vigormortis:
I seriously have to disagree with a few people here. This trailer honestly makes the console versions of this game look terrible. Even Crysis running on all medium settings looked better.

I know not to expect the console ports to look nearly as good as the PC version, but people really need to stop calling them "gorgeous". The visuals barely surpass other games currently on the market.

Now, compare the PC screen caps for Crysis 2 to the console versions. Then you'll see what "gorgeous" is.

I would like to remind you that you are watching a low res internet video. I played the Crysis 2 multiplayer demo on the Xbox 360 with a 42 inch Full HD LCD TV and it was easily the most visually stunning console game I have ever seen (and I just played Killzone 3 two days ago). It easily looked way better then the original Crysis did on my machine when playing on the medium setting.

That said, I still wasn't very impressed by this video. Sure the game itself my look realistic, but the gameplay looks really generic to me.

Eh, looks okay. Very pretty, and with some interesting mechanics, but it still looks like a generic brown/gray FPS, albeit a rather polished one.

Also, did anyone else think the robot voice sounded like Harbinger? Put me right off.

Still Life:

Thundordan:

I remember -- that back in those days -- most people complained about how underdeveloped and boring the aliens from Crysis were; I also remember a lot of complaints about how the story lacked in every which way. Was and still is a thing of beauty, though.

Number two looks to be a lot more exciting and will actually deliver a story rather than a mere contextualization as an excuse to show off an advanced graphics engine.

Woodsey:

So... research FAIL?

More like epic fail.

Crysis was definitely not perfect, which is why I used the term "fairly" good. But let me put it to you this way: Running around Counter-Strike-ing everyone you see and winning, was definitely impossible in the original. (a least at a proper difficulty) Regardless of how overpowered your suit was.
And my point with being the underdog, was that the alien race was far superior to the humans. IN crysis 2 they seem to be evenly matched boring bipeds.

Even if it was just made to show off cryEngine2, Crysis tried to be different from the mainstream FPS. As it seems though, not anymore. The first game was more about exploring and staying alive than just your fuck-yeah frag count.

Baneat:

Woodsey:

Thundordan:

So... research FAIL?

"The plot in the beta dev edition sucks, there's no "point" they're driving, it's literally just actions after actions. Noone learns anything, or realises anything. the main character's another Freeman, except this time the characters you interact with are 2dimensional and boring, so "critically acclaimed" Sci-fi writers need to step up cause this is no more than actions lined up in front of each other"

Is that the pirated version?

I'm sorry, did I completely miss the "Semper Fi" part of this video? I see the title "Semper Fi Trailer" and I think: oh, cool, they're throwing a little something to us Marines, hot damn I'm pumped!

So I was sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for...what? just a bunch of low-res gameplay footage? Fool me with false advertising again Crytek...

Wow, this is everything that made the first Crysis game great! The urban environments, the humanoid-looking aliens, the linear levels! YES, everything I would want in a Crysis sequel and more, and it's somehow able to be played on a console to boot! THANK GOWD IT'S CROSSPLATFORM, OTHERWISE THIS MIGHT HAVE BEEN RUBBISH!!!

A franchise dies before it even begins. How very 'Matrix'...

Woodsey:

Baneat:

Woodsey:

So... research FAIL?

]

This guy probably pirated it, cause I'm sure a real dev wouldn't be able to disclose much about the game, and certainly to fuck not diss it.

Baneat:

Woodsey:

Baneat:

]

This guy probably pirated it, cause I'm sure a real dev wouldn't be able to disclose much about the game, and certainly to fuck not diss it.

OK, just checking what you meant. Because from what I hear, you can barely get 30 minutes into that version without hitting a brick wall of bugs and technical issues. So how'd he be able to form an actual opinion of the story from that is a little odd.

UtopiaV1:
Wow, this is everything that made the first Crysis game great! The urban environments, the humanoid-looking aliens, the linear levels! YES, everything I would want in a Crysis sequel and more, and it's somehow able to be played on a console to boot! THANK GOWD IT'S CROSSPLATFORM, OTHERWISE THIS MIGHT HAVE BEEN RUBBISH!!!

A franchise dies before it even begins. How very 'Matrix'...

Yeah, I guess those hundreds of hovering squids blocking the sky in warhead just got tired and went home...

Hardcore_gamer:

Vigormortis:

I would like to remind you that you are watching a low res internet video. I played the Crysis 2 multiplayer demo on the Xbox 360 with a 42 inch Full HD LCD TV and it was easily the most visually stunning console game I have ever seen (and I just played Killzone 3 two days ago). It easily looked way better then the original Crysis did on my machine when playing on the medium setting.

That said, I still wasn't very impressed by this video. Sure the game itself my look realistic, but the gameplay looks really generic to me.

My assertions weren't based on the grainy, low resolution video linked here. I was basing them on everything I've seen on the console ports of Crysis 2. High resolution screen caps and videos, etc, etc.

I didn't really mean it looks terrible compared to everything else. It definitely surpasses (again, barely) most other console games visually. However, compared to it's PC counterpart, it's just plain ugly.

Yes, I'm coming off as a snobby PC elitist. Sorry.

Woodsey:

Baneat:

Woodsey:

]

OK, just checking what you meant. Because from what I hear, you can barely get 30 minutes into that version without hitting a brick wall of bugs and technical issues. So how'd he be able to form an actual opinion of the story from that is a little odd.

"That guy":

Although it crashes often and has some severe imbalances, especially in the boss battles in which you have 6 rockets and the guy needs 5 to die (so you can't miss twice basically),

there's no problem getting the plot from it. I assure you every scene, dialogue and story-relevant point still there, in perfect fidelity. Most of the crashes were in the scripted sequences, and the pre-rendered cutscenes. This means reloading it till it works, and then the whole thing can be viewed.

Thundordan:

Still Life:

Thundordan:

Woodsey:

So... research FAIL?

More like epic fail.

Crysis was definitely not perfect, which is why I used the term "fairly" good. But let me put it to you this way: Running around Counter-Strike-ing everyone you see and winning, was definitely impossible in the original. (a least at a proper difficulty) Regardless of how overpowered your suit was.
And my point with being the underdog, was that the alien race was far superior to the humans. IN crysis 2 they seem to be evenly matched boring bipeds.

Even if it was just made to show off cryEngine2, Crysis tried to be different from the mainstream FPS. As it seems though, not anymore. The first game was more about exploring and staying alive than just your fuck-yeah frag count.

Fair enough ;)

I'm still on the fence about Crysis 2. I'm not expecting some masterpiece of narrative and a total re-visioning of the gameplay. I'll be content, so long as it's solid, refined and fun, whilst maintaining a cohesive and interesting (enough) narrative.

From what I've seen so far: it looks like Crysis 2 will fulfill my requirements. Can't say I'm interested in the multiplayer, though I'm having second thoughts in its favor after seeing some of the multiplayer commentary.

We'll find out soon enough, though.

Having loved Crysis 1, I leapt at the opertunity to experiance crysis 2 as 'obtained' in some form by a friend who knows more about getting games like that than I do on his computer. I didn't want to ruin the game, just get a taste... and am very disapointed.

Completely linear corridor levels - tiny pockets of engagement. No open levels whatsoever.
Vehicle section is you in a near indestructable tank vs jeaps and infrantry.
Biped alien hostiles that are utterly different from those in the first game with a character design like something out of star-wars.
Plot that makes zero sense, has totally no effect on me. Utterly unbelievable.
Its a terrible cross of games. Some people say Halo - its not Halo.
-- This is a COD4 cross with Gears of War --

I loved Crysis 1 and warhead - tragically upset that Crysis 2 is a bland-looking corridor snoozefest with a laughable plot (one which could probably have been cleared up in thirty seconds if the 'silent protagonist' could just speak and tell everyone he's not the guy they're hunting) and none of the open-worldness that made the first good.

This trailer really does show what you need to see - massive looking levels... but totally linear.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here