GDC 2011: American McGee Talks Alice's Madness

American McGee Talks Alice's Madness

Lisa Foiles presents an interview with American McGee about American McGee's Alice Madness Returns, created by American McGee.

Watch Video

Kavonde:
Why are the first several comments to Lisa's videos always so negative? If you don't like her, why are you so eager to watch something by her?

Maybe because we wanted to see the game?-_-

OT:
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP NODDING AND "ABSOLUTLY AGREEING" ON EVERYTHING THE MAN HAS TO SAY.

I don't know if it was Lisa, The Escapist or them but this interview didn't shed any light and everything said there was already known, kind of dissapointing.

Does Lisa have energy drink on her cereal instead of milk?

Sad to say she is not a very good interviewer. As for the game ,It looks awesome

Sincere outlaw:
Sad to say she is not a very good interviewer. As for the game ,It looks awesome

She's not a particularly good anything, she's just a pretty girl.

OT: YAWN! This looks like garbage. The sooner the "Dark + Gritty = Artistic" thing dies the better.

Oh dear. 3 minute video, 1 and 1/2 minutes of which is taken up by vacuous blabbering. Did Lisa have only enough time to ask 3 questions? This interview sheds no light on anything we don't already know. Waste of time.

It's funny, usually seeing the creator of something like a game or book is off-putting, since you have an idea of what the person looks like and actually seeing him ruins that. Mr. McGee is a pretty handsome fellow, though!

OT: Hm, he seems to be pretty into it. Not to say that I'm revoking the first part of my "cautiously optimistic" view of the game, the first one really didn't want or leave room for a sequel, but we'll see.

EDIT: And oh, yes, I know. I posted without bashing Ms. Foiles. Well, folks, she's not exactly a professional interviewer, cut her some slack for trying to liven up the thing. It might be a bit of a waste, yes, but if you want cold, emotionless blather then you could always watch G4...

I didn't think it was that bad at all, though I do think Lisa was overcome by a fangirl moment there. Sure there was no really new information but that tends to be the way things are done these days. Seth Killian, for one example, was interviewed hundreds of times before the release of MvC3, by both fresh interviewers and hardcore fighting game players, and yet most of the interviews were basically the same.

it looks pretty awesome in my opinion, though ofcourse, I have no idea of what the actual gameplay is like.

I had never even heard of this or the first game, I'll have to check it out.

Also, there should just be a list of all the clips featuring Lisa Foiles (so that I can watch them all)

I enjoyed. I think Lisa will get better at interviewing with time.

I think it will be a really interesting game. Never did play the first but i always remember seeing the box art.

Like meepo said, she will get better with time.

For now I am fine with her.

Why are the first several comments to Lisa's videos always so negative? If you don't like her, why are you so eager to watch something by her?

I do wish the interview could've been longer; hadn't really seen much about this game, and it'd be nice to get some more concrete details about it. How come you always seem to get the shortest interviews, Lis? Even at E3 last year, you didn't really get much screen time, while Spoony and Angry Joe scored a few rather hefty ones. You're representing one of the bigger gaming websites now, so I'm pretty sure you can get away with pushing for more interviewage.

If you're not comfortable with that, you could always recruit a big, tall guy to sort of loom over your shoulder and glare at your interviewee. I'd volunteer.

manythings:

Sincere outlaw:

OT: YAWN! This looks like garbage. The sooner the "Dark + Gritty = Artistic" thing dies the better.

Oh really? Because I feel the same way about "Hyperviolent + Smutty = Fun". "Dark + Gritty = Artistic" is one of my favorite game styles.

Don't wish for death on an entire style. You clearly haven't played the original, so stay away.

lacktheknack:

manythings:

Sincere outlaw:

Oh really? Because I feel the same way about "Hyperviolent + Smutty = Fun". "Dark + Gritty = Artistic" is one of my favorite game styles.

Don't wish for death on an entire style. You clearly haven't played the original, so stay away.

Something with artistic integrity can be Dark and Gritty, but the assumption that because a thing is dark and gritty it is inherently artistic is retarded. That's the kind of bullshit that keeps Tim Burton going.

manythings:

lacktheknack:

manythings:

Something with artistic integrity can be Dark and Gritty, but the assumption that because a thing is dark and gritty it is inherently artistic is retarded. That's the kind of bullshit that keeps Tim Burton going.

I think Tim Burton keeps going because he likes that sort of thing, not because it causes everything he does to be gold (it doesn't).

Again, I for one cannot wait for this, surely you can see why'd I'd be less then happy about someone implying that he hopes it dies.

And still I have yet to see gameplay footage from this game. I get the impression that there's a good reason why they choose to show the same cutscenes over and over again instead of gameplay.

lacktheknack:

manythings:

lacktheknack:

I think Tim Burton keeps going because he likes that sort of thing, not because it causes everything he does to be gold (it doesn't).

Again, I for one cannot wait for this, surely you can see why'd I'd be less then happy about someone implying that he hopes it dies.

I hope shitty, over-used trends die. I'm ambivalent about the game but I don't know enough to pass any judgements.

wow, we already have a hate war here o.O;

OT: This excites me, I realize the interview wasn't the best. But I'm guessing she was simply excited, so am I. I have been looking forward to this game since it was first rumored way back then! It looks so beautiful. Thank You Miss Foiles <3

manythings:

lacktheknack:

manythings:

I hope shitty, over-used trends die. I'm ambivalent about the game but I don't know enough to pass any judgements.

Aww, I like the trend...

As for seeing if you'll like the game, see if you can track down the original. It's absolutely fantastic.

Calcium:
And still I have yet to see gameplay footage from this game. I get the impression that there's a good reason why they choose to show the same cutscenes over and over again instead of gameplay.

Here, I would like to point out what happened when Bioware put out DA2 gameplay footage before they were ready.

Give them some time, okay?

lacktheknack:

manythings:

Aww, I like the trend...

As for seeing if you'll like the game, see if you can track down the original. It's absolutely fantastic.

Sequels mean inevitable box sets. I'm sure it will show up on steam eventually.

Im really looking forward to madness returns. I loved the original american mcgee´s alice and i hope the sequel will be as good or even better.

lacktheknack:
Here, I would like to point out what happened when Bioware put out DA2 gameplay footage before they were ready.

Give them some time, okay?

I had the impression the game was a lot closer to release than it is (source I noticed says June) so I guess it's not as bad at this stage than I thought. But also Lisa in the video mentions "that's our gameplay footage" as if they were expecting that something more substantial would have been released - but the footage they show is just a cutscene released a month or so back.

I actually like Lisa, she seems like a cool person.
I just wish she'd stop being so aggressively cute all the time, like "LOOK AT ME! AREN'T I SO FUCKING GODDAMN DELICIOUS?! YEAH I AM! Now here's fifteen seconds of actual interview. AND NOW BACK TO ME. JESUS, I AM ADORABLE! I'D TAP MY OWN ASS IF I COULD!" y'know? I mean, you can be cute and quirky without devoting 66% of the video to it.

Anywho, the premise sounds kinda cool. Reminds me a lot of the thematic elements and musical stylings of Emilie Autumn. Prefer to see money flowing into a project like this than a CoD clone or a cookie-cutter fantasy MMORPG.

Ah McGee's Alice, such sweet happy memories. The sounds of the songs played on children toys. So happy so inviting

I won't comment on this interview part she seems I agree a bit like a fan girl it is rather short and not going anywhere but give her time.

And to the coming game... I am waiting mUHAHAHHAA

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKING CHRIST....

just because something is public domain, disney should be the one to turn it into something stupid XD

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here