Critical Miss: The Board

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Funny, but personally I havent got too much beef with the ESRB, they're not biased, sure sometimes they can sound a little childish, but it's just there say "X is in game" for the type of parent who might object to their kids playing that sort of thing, which is fine. At least we have SOMETHING there to say "look, this game is a 17+, it is not for kids."

I gosh darn loved it :D

I spot hidden Slowbro.

Captcha: maximal rruluth

Irridium:
I don't know if I can cope with all the severe language in this comic. I think it needs to be censored more. My poor, sensitive ears just couldn't take it.

You are reading with your ears?

Something's different about the character design for Erin on this comic... I ca'nt quite put my finger on it; it may just be that her hair is longer and it's up, but I'm not sure...

I do'nt know, but whatever it is, she actually looks cute/attractive for the first time in this series to me (and I've been reading since the beginning)

anyone else notice this or am I going crazy? were the artists actually planning this or is it coincidence?
o_O

i loved the slowbro drawn on the whiteboard :D But where is the hamster? WHERE?!

Edit; found it! It's on her shoulder **Phew**

Also the unicorn cup and curly-straw were nice touches, reading many ESRB descriptions i can safely say that 90% of games they just watch for 20 minutes or so and slap on a rating. They have no understanding of the games. I think the most noteable example of this i have seen is their description of "Call of Pripyat", they get quite a few points of the game flat-out wrong. Mentions "Aliens" O.o

Oh man, I was convinced that that girl in the background was going to chop a finger off or something... anyway, funny comic.

Absolutely genius comic. The artistic quality is really improving too. Critical Miss has been my favorite webcomic pretty much since it started here, but it keeps finding ways to get better and better.

Mysnomer:
I love the design and pose of the lady sipping out of the Unicorn cup. It's soooooo cute!

Grey Carter:
C: I find "the F-word" and or F**K (look how friendly those asterisks are!) and variants thereof kind of ridiculous. But that's just a pet peeve.

To be fair, using "the F-word" is considered vulgar. I prefer to reserve the use of the actual word for times when it is appropriate, such as great emotional stress or intense anger. Otherwise, the word loses all meaning. It's really already happening, if you just listen to casual conversation, and every third of fourth word is "fuck" said without cause, purposeless. Like Steven Fry, I don't agree that all people who use that word are not as intelligent, but I do believe that who use it all the time will destroy it's expressiveness. Maybe I'm just an old fogy fighting the natural evolution of language, but I don't like it.

..well, they could write something like: "swear-words are used often and promptly without emotional context". And you would know that the game has dialogue with swearing just for the sake of it. Even if.. I guess.. something like that would open up for how swearing might actually be "appropriate", and that's something inconceivable to the morality brigade, after all..

The thing about swearing in Bulletstorm, though.. they almost never use normal swearwords. Long reams of dialogue don't contain profanity at all. They're just said as if they do. And when they do swear, they're just putting in taboo-words for the sake of it.. like a foreigner who has learned English idioms from studying movies from the eighties. Or.. space-pirates who know swear-words from "Old Earth", or something. I mean, it's so obviously ironic that you can't possibly miss it. ..unless you're on the ESRB board, I guess..

Do you want to know the funny part?

I read the comic, and all I can think about is:
"Hang on, individual Skillpoints in Bulletstorm never score 10 or 150. A plain kill's 10, and the scores for the skill shots are 25, 50 & 100, or for new ones 125, 250 or 500."

help i'm stuck in a dick joke factory - 10pts

EPIC WIN!

Robot unicorn on the mug and that's a T-Rex!!! WOO!

now if only those skillshots were actually in Bulletstorm hahahaa

So I see you've been playin- wait a minute! You can't get more than two skillshots on a single enemy! :)

Great comic keep the humourosity and amazingness of it running.

omicron1:
Honestly, the amount of ridicule/ire directed at the ESRB's expanded ratings these days is rather confusing to me - as the point of the ESRB is to inform parents (including those who would rather not immerse themselves in bad language - yes, such people do exist) of the content of the game, and has no bearing on older, more responsible people's access to said game that I can see, it seems rather childish to poke fun at them for doing their job - a job that indirectly benefits the gaming public!

The ESRB expanded rating isn't meant for the hardcore gamer! Heck, it's not even meant for the casual gamer! It's meant for the parent trying to see if the content of the game fits within their particular standards for their children's access - similar, in all honesty, to a "family" review site for films. Yet it gets ridiculed up and down the Internet - and for what? For censoring coarse language? For making a list of all the possible "infractions" a parent might find in the game? Honestly...

^^This.

The ESRB is considered, even by many of its detractors, as the best ratings board out there. Do they make mistakes, sure. But look at the actual description of Bulletstorm, and it seemed pretty on the mark, yet didn't pass judgment on it. It laid out what you could expect from the game, then leaves it to the consumer to decide if that's what they want from a game.

Erin the hegdehog?
(no, I liked the new style of Erin, she's cute ^^)

The comic reminded me of this:

OH MY SENSITIVITIES!

I gigglesnorted at work. Well done. ^_^

Oh gosh, WOMAN! Be careful with that knife! Watch what you are cutting.

Ah, yes haha, the ESRB,
with their doing-their-job and not-swearing-while-doing so and their..... lists....

Yeah.....

I liked the straw.
*cough*

Stout looks like a pretty girl now. Before she resembled a chick with sideburns. I like it.

Ah yes, people using terms like "F-word" annoy me so much.

Either use words or not (I usually don't when it comes to cursing), don't dance around them, that's just confusing.

Funny, though I think the ESRB's choice of words are totally necessary. When those who are sensitive to foul language want to find out if a game has any, the ESRB aren't being very accommodating if they describe The Saboteur as "A game in which you can yell fuck, mother fucker and shit fucking, cunt stomping, cum burp" on their website.

The whole point of the ESRB is to help people find out if there is anything in a game they might find objectionable that might put them off buying. If I had just lost a child, I would probably need to know before buying the game that in the beginning of Max Payne, druggies murder Max's baby in its crib.

In my head the one with the propeller hat is played by Dustin Hoffman.

maninahat:

The whole point of the ESRB is to help people find out if there is anything in a game they might find objectionable that might put them off buying. If I had just lost a child, I would probably need to know before buying the game that in the beginning of Max Payne, druggies murder Max's baby in its crib.

I think that is pretty much the reason why there are so many people on the internet (also in this thread), who find the ESRB and their mo really silly.

If you are well informed about games, donīt mind any amount of swearing and really donīt mind a good amount of violence, you are just not their target audience.

Because you simply donīt need the ESBR.

However, if you are not in this group and are actually somewhat put off by violence, swear words etc. (and yes, those people do exist and may even be in the majority, even though the definitly represent a minority online), you might find the ESBR a) less silly and b) probably rather helpful.

So to me, this comic read like a hard-core biker getting pissed off because that fucker on the home-improvement channel refuses to say "motherfucker".

I've actually started saying "F-bomb" instead of swearing. It still makes me feel better, and it makes people laugh.

Grey Carter:
Critical Miss: The Board

Submitting a game to the ESRB is like going to court and realizing the judge is Barney the Dinosaur.

Read Full Article

You really shouldn't talk to someone while they're chopping stuff O.O!

Coincidentally, "Who cares about context? Let's just consult our big book of 'naughty things'" is also the top line of the design document for Bulletstorm.

phlebas:
Coincidentally, "Who cares about context? Let's just consult our big book of 'naughty things'" is also the top line of the design document for Bulletstorm.

This is true. I like to think Cliffy B had a little list he's been keeping since he was like twelve. Complete with crayon drawings.

"Aw man! In level 3 he should totally shoot a dude in the ass and causes his farts to catch fire!"

The game is pretty good however. It overwhelms intellectual defenses and you eventually find yourself laughing at some pretty dumbass lines.

TheAmazingHobo:

However, if you are not in this group and are actually somewhat put off by violence, swear words etc. (and yes, those people do exist and may even be in the majority, even though the definitly represent a minority online), you might find the ESBR a) less silly and b) probably rather helpful.

So to me, this comic read like a hard-core biker getting pissed off because that fucker on the home-improvement channel refuses to say "motherfucker".

The home improvement channel would be vastly improved by the occasional utterance of "motherfucker."

"Now apply your second coat of varnish... motherfuckers."

Seriously though, any utility you get from the ESRB website when it comes to content could be fufilled twice as well by a decent review which considers context and atmosphere. (Best example I can think of is despite having the same age rating there is a huge difference between say... Manhunt and San Andreas.) And as a guide for parents the ratings are far too easily abused.

"Things we don't like" should probably include "Cooties."

Though I'm kind of inclined to agree. That is a pretty big gosh-darned owie.

Grey Carter:

The home improvement channel would be vastly improved by the occasional utterance of "motherfucker."

"Now apply your second coat of varnish... motherfuckers."

"As you can nicely see, that asshole here forgot to properly insulate his fucking windowframes and as a result, the goddam heat is just going right the fuck out."

Grey Carter:
Seriously though, any utility you get from the ESRB website when it comes to content could be fufilled twice as well by a decent review which considers context and atmosphere. (Best example I can think of is despite having the same age rating there is a huge difference between say... Manhunt and San Andreas.) And as a guide for parents the ratings are far too easily abused.

I disagree. I actually believe it would be a terrible idea to have the ESBR consider context and atmosphere. Not only would it mean a vast increase to their workload (they would need to decide for seperate occurences of violence, swearing etc., whether or not they are contextualized in a way that either diminishes or increases their problematic nature), it would also add an element of arbitrariness and subjectivity to their ratings.
Context and atmosphere cannot be judged with complete objectivity,
whether there are boobs, decapitations and sex in a game, can be.

And ultimately, I think most people want the ESBR to make objective assessments, based on transparent criteria (though those may seem silly to some), not write critical essays on the difference in tone and atmosphere between Manhund and San Andreas and how said difference relates to the portrayal of violence.

Edit:
I should probably add that I believe the IDEAL case would be, if parents pay attention to the ESBR rating AND read some reviews of the game they are about to buy.
Because ultimately, I do believe context and atmosphere are important.
I just donīt believe, due to the problems mentioned above, that the ESBR is the right entity to handle those issues, nor can it ever be.

Cute and entertaining, as well as being a great dig at ESRB. I would be much more supportive of the ESRB if they would be less annoying and simply do the job of rating games, listing types of "offensive" content in those ratings, and then call the job done. The rest is up to the parents and retailers.

0megaZer0:
Something's different about the character design for Erin on this comic... I ca'nt quite put my finger on it; it may just be that her hair is longer and it's up, but I'm not sure...

I do'nt know, but whatever it is, she actually looks cute/attractive for the first time in this series to me (and I've been reading since the beginning)

anyone else notice this or am I going crazy? were the artists actually planning this or is it coincidence?
o_O

Yes, she isn't that much thin anymore, the hair has changed and she is attractive in this comic. Ya ain't crayzaa.

"Art Evolution, COMPLETE!"

I just love the fact that the quote at the end of this strip was from the Rokcy Horror Picture Show. Oh and the comic was awesome too.

Erin's hair is actually feminine again. Why don't I remember who the other girl was?
Severe boo-boos huh? yep that totally turns me off. I can't stand that level of gratuitous violence.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here